A Look at The Visual Damage in GT Sport

I can confirm there was mechanical damage option in the "custom race" just before you enter the race.

Like the beta it ruins your steering and there is also hints of engine failures.

Here is a screen of it in online lobbies. The options are mild and heavy I think.

DL3qjcDXkAAVr2V.jpg

The sad part is that branless AI in Willow Springs video. Human would not drive into a stationary vehicle or pile-up like that.

I was honestly not too impressed with the damage model / effect of impact in the demo. Ran that Honda Civic twice really hard in a wall to see what happened but it was a bit underwhelming IMO.

Having that said, I fully agree the damage model is not that important, especially not from a full out hard impact.

The sad part is that brainless AI in Willow Springs video. Human would not drive into a stationary vehicle or pile-up like that.
That also depends on how fast the drivers would react in a situation like that. Yes sure I can definately agree that human will not pile -up ala demo style but given in circumstances like that cars (IRL) will either have to avoid or end piled-up (if not worse looking then demonstrated in the demo) depending on how fast they react.

Imagine a race scenario (full of cars both back, front and also near you) where one car loses control ends up sideways. Then you see someone instantly breaking in front of you, in that situation you either turn left/right or break really hard too. Given that there are opponnets everywhere around you, you will either hit a car near you or the opponent on the back will slam into your rear and others will pile-up aswell if they do not act fast enough.

There will be many outcome depending on how fast each driver reacts to this unfortunate events.

The AI seems a bit dumb. Though one car did pass by apparently without any contact (an NSX), so I guess not all hope is lost, with some tweaking it might greatly improve.
Didn't the same thing happen in GT5? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a video comparing before and after update 2.0, and after it, it was very good.

Im i the only one who dont care about visual damage? I mean... im here to play GT racing.. not destruction derby..
Still is a good thing!!

You're not the only one. When I think GT, damage rendering is not the first thing that comes to mind as priority. Light wear and tear is fine, but anything more is a waste of modeling efforts. Surely there are dozens of other things in the Demo in which to report than visual damage.

I found mechanical damage on heavy in GTS just like the mechanical damage on the online lobbies from GT6.

Mild option is also the same as the of GT6, but you don't need to go to box, it will fix the damage automatically after 30seconds.

At least in GTS You are able to activate mechanical damage offline..

Visual damage got some little nice details.

But globally the damage model and collision physics are far away from games like Assetto Corsa or project C.A.R.S 1 & 2.
In Assetto an hit against the wall can end your race right there with the engine blowed.
Same for project C.A.R.S, but there an visual damage like loosing a wheel can end with your race.

Even F1 2016 got a better damage model if you set it up to "simulation"

I really expect more form PD in the damage model after nearly 4 years of development

That also depends on how fast the drivers would react in a situation like that. Yes sure I can definately agree that human will not pile -up ala demo style but given in circumstances like that cars (IRL) will either have to avoid or end piled-up (if not worse looking then demonstrated in the demo) depending on how fast they react.

Imagine a race scenario (full of cars both back, front and also near you) where one car loses control ends up sideways. Then you see someone instantly breaking in front of you, in that situation you either turn left/right or break really hard too. Given that there are opponnets everywhere around you, you will either hit a car near you or the opponent on the back will slam into your rear and others will pile-up aswell if they do not act fast enough.

There will be many outcome depending on how fast each driver reacts to this unfortunate events.

I Agree but at least human would hit the brakes to slower his car. I think AI just follows its path and pushes whatever it is in front of it.

To damage model:
I care very much, its a big part of racing. Fear you will not be able to complete the race and pay the damage is good for sportsmanship.
I always liked damage seen in Carmageddon 2. :) (ie chassis deformation. But that would took PD another 20 years)

Last edited:
Im i the only one who dont care about visual damage? I mean... im here to play GT racing.. not destruction derby..
Still is a good thing!!
No me too, i would prefer to see blown engines broken gearbox etc much more than visual damage.
Besides if don't have visual damage you can get away if someone rams you over

Well at least the flag Marshall was waving the yellow at the scene of the pile up. :)
Hope there are penalties for not slowing on the following lap, if the car is still there?
I'm all for damage, it doesn't bother me at all, adds to the realism to a certain extent, and some panel damage looks good.
Would rather, as George Jakob mentioned, some real mechanical damage, like a broken motor or gearbox to hamper your progress. not keen on the idea of just driving through and it fixing itself after 30 seconds. :(
Anyway, will see what its like after a few weeks on the market. 👍

Hmmm, maybe micro-transactions will return? Crash on the Nord, and next time log in, find you've had a couple of hundred taken from your PSN account lol...

Drive careful out there !

Have to say, some online race vids show a crap level of driving from ppl in lobbies. Far worse than kids playing Forza lol.

Let's hope Kaz adds a mandatory "test" for anyone accessing the online menu button lol

The mechanical damages can be activated in Sport Mode (when you play online with others) or it's only for private lobby ?

I was honestly not too impressed with the damage model / effect of impact in the demo. Ran that Honda Civic twice really hard in a wall to see what happened but it was a bit underwhelming IMO.

Having that said, I fully agree the damage model is not that important, especially not from a full out hard impact.

The damage seems to be really good for light collisions and even some hard scrapes, but really bad for hard collisions. I did the same thing, drove hard into the wall, and just got a slightly bent fender and paint scraping.

That's fine, I suppose, this isn't Burnout Paradise. :-)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh...i dunno Project cars still is the king of visual damage imo...

But it has that bug when you still have a damaged car after you restart a session soooo...

Would rather, as George Jakob mentioned, some real mechanical damage, like a broken motor or gearbox to hamper your progress. not keen on the idea of just driving through and it fixing itself after 30 seconds. :(

If it's like GT5 and GT6, then the mild option will fix the damage automatically after some time, while the heavy option will require a pit stop.

I found mechanical damage on heavy in GTS just like the mechanical damage on the online lobbies from GT6.

Mild option is also the same as the of GT6, but you don't need to go to box, it will fix the damage automatically after 30seconds.

At least in GTS You are able to activate mechanical damage offline..

Visual damage got some little nice details.

But globally the damage model and collision physics are far away from games like Assetto Corsa or project C.A.R.S 1 & 2.
In Assetto an hit against the wall can end your race right there with the engine blowed.
Same for project C.A.R.S, but there an visual damage like loosing a wheel can end with your race.

Even F1 2016 got a better damage model if you set it up to "simulation"

I really expect more form PD in the damage model after nearly 4 years of development

I tested the damages yesterday. They are simply ridiculous. Just few scratches

Back