A question for those that played GT6 and the GT-Sport BETA with a controller

How did the handling of GT Sport compare with that of GT6 when playing with controller?

• Better

• Worse

• Same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Much better.

In short, this. GT6 never really gave me any idea of what the tires were doing via DS3, so snap oversteer would be a constant game of guess-work. Without Fanatec support in the GT Sport beta, I couldn't try a wheel, but the pad felt much better-resolved than the PS3 games. My main criticism is the lack of rumble though: even on max settings, it felt very muted compared to the feedback I'm used to on an XB1 controller. That's largely due to that pad's trigger-specific rumble functions though. Wish everything had those!

It seems PD has put a solid effort in to even the playing field between wheel and pad. A wheel is obviously better for immersion, but I didn't feel like I was unfairly handicapped being "stuck" with a pad, even on tracks I'd expect that to be the case with, like the ovals.

Going off the beta, I'd say GT retains its title as one of the better pad-optimized racers out there.

Much better. GT6 had a tendency of being quite twitchy, particularly when the performance level reached that of most GT cars, and the game would basically ignore your input when you got in a big enough skid, but was otherwise not too bad.

There is still some element of that "twitchiness" and the steering in general wasn't as instant as I'd perhaps like it - both of which I guess is just a natural limitation of the controller and we'll just have to live with that - but whenever things did go wrong in the beta, it felt more like me being a moron than the game/physics engine giving me the finger, which is more than can be said about.. let's just say I hardly need a full five fingers to count other modern racing games that are this controller-friendly.

That's one of the main reasons I've gone for GT. If any of the other games were even half as good with a controller, that'd be good enough for me to consider them. Buuut thus far I have no reason to believe any progress at all has been made in that area.

Last edited:
Well this is promising, I have no interesting in buying a wheel along with another PS4 (My third one recently died out of warranty) to play this on.....assuming it is worth buying (sorry I said that out-loud)

From my previous exp, GT6 is quite good with a controller. It is not the same as with the wheel but if you are skilled enough you can do anything you want, drift the car all you want and control any car no matter how twitchy it is.
So if GTS is supposedly better then it should be incredibly good

I have no idea, I have other consoles too....even the RROD 360 lasted longer than my first PS4!!!!!!!!
I'm still on my launch day Xbox One though, plus Xbox One S, PS3, Xbox 360, SNES , WiiU, Gamecube, Megadrive, Saturn, PS2, PS1, Star wars edition Xbox 360, Xbox Original etc etc all working great and get used a lot actually, so no idea why my PS4s don't last

The controller itself is actually the biggest 'upgrade' here for me. DS4 is larger and more comfortable for long sessions and it has triggers with an ok amount of travel. The DS3 was terrible for a game like Gran Turismo.

I didn't realise there were people having issues with the controller on GT6. That's really surprising to me.

It's probably revisionist history, but I feel like I got on with the controller worse with GT6 than I did with GT5. I admit, I haven't played the latter in four years, but am planning on doing it to platinum before Sport's arrival. Will report back.

I used to play with X and circle for throttle and brake until GT6 and changed to R2 and L2. No issues whatsoever. DS4's triggers are way better than DS3's.

The analogs are better too IMO but previous ones were good too.

I was a late adopter to the triggers-as-pedals way of doing things. It makes so much sense now, I don't know how I ever did the X/Square thing. I originally hated it when presented with FM3 (my introduction to that approach), but the Xbox controller triggers have seemingly been made for racing games. The XB1's in particular, with the rumble effect, are just ace.

I like a lot about GT Sport's controller implementation. Outside of Forza games, I feel like there've been a fair chunk of poorly-pad-optimized racing games lately, so it's always good to hop into one that just works out of the box. I just wish the rumble was stronger...

For meeeee, the DS4 is hands down the more ergonomic controller. Not that the DS3 is clunky or bad. It's not as big of a difference as it is compared to the Xbox / N64 analog stick placement. But, I used to prefer using the 360 controller based on the button and analog stick configuration.
I'v
For meeeee, the DS4 is hands down the more ergonomic controller. Not that the DS3 is clunky or bad. It's not as big of a difference as it is compared to the Xbox / N64 analog stick placement. But, I used to prefer using the 360 controller based on the button and analog stick configuration.
e tried using the DS4 but my hands are so unusually small.

I've tried using the DS4 but my hands are so unusually small.
Which one is you?

BuUtlrxCMAESamM.jpg

111282386_medium_069c85.jpg

Ignorance was a bliss for me. Had no problems using the DS3 before. However, after using the DS4 -- no way I can go back to that small contraption.

I'm excited to hear so many say that Sport feels even better than 5 and 6 because I was quite quick in those games, how competitive is it against the wheel though? Does it look like the pad users can still challenge the top wheel users in most cars?

I'm excited to hear so many say that Sport feels even better than 5 and 6 because I was quite quick in those games, how competitive is it against the wheel though? Does it look like the pad users can still challenge the top wheel users in most cars?

This is my best example. I know some of those on the top10 are pretty fast wheel users but I'm also aware they didn't push to the limit. I wouldn't be on top1. But if the beta is anything to go by, playing with a DS4 will be more competitive against wheel users than before (that is more related to the improvement of the controller feedback and integration IMO. Wheels were already the best option.

Since GT2 I've always used (X) for gas and ([]) for braking. Never had issues with that.... (DS3 with push sensivity helped a lot)

For GTS I ran into a wall... Cars like the Ferrari 458 GT3 or the M6 GT3 are too aggresive on the throttle so -for the first time ever- I had to switch to the Triggers of the DS4. Way better but I still have to get used to that.

Since GT2 I've always used (X) for gas and ([]) for braking. Never had issues with that.... (DS3 with push sensivity helped a lot)

For GTS I ran into a wall... Cars like the Ferrari 458 GT3 or the M6 GT3 are too aggresive on the throttle so -for the first time ever- I had to switch to the Triggers of the DS4. Way better but I still have to get used to that.
The cars may not be aggressive in terms of throttle response. It may just be that the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons.

Back