A-Spec- 24 Hours of Le Mans in a 787B on RH tyres :)

On a Mazda 787B that could be hundreds of thousands! :scared:

Oh and do you buy/win LM cars? Only at 5 million each it'll take awhile before I afford one. :(

Fortunately my RL car is only a Eunos Roadster (MX-5) :P and well I got a lot of mine before they stopped high priced gifting so me and my friends would buy different ones and then swap to get the ones we wanted. You can win quite a few though easiest car to get that's pretty quick is the RM corvette ZR-1 or the Mazda Furai from a b-spec race (can't remember which)

Just passed the 9 hour mark/148 laps, I still have a lead of over a lap, other than a few minor spins and brushes with the wall I have little else to say :lol: I'll maybe do another hour tonight but I'm quite tired so there's the possibility that I wont manage it.

iScoRcHv, I don't think you know about this. It is actually better to keep your PS3 on the whole time than on/off on/off because it is better if it keeps a constant temperature.

Oh I didn't know about that. I just can't be too careful with the ps3 i have at the moment. It's a fat 60gb one and I've already burnt out two prior to the one I have now but luckily sony replaced it at no cost.

10 hours/163 laps in now and that's definitely me done for the night. I've made good progress though extending my lead (as far as I can tell) I'm nearly at the half way point that I will hopefully reach tomorrow night, anyhow, I'm off for the night and I'll continue once more tomorrow :)

Looking forward to the rest, level 33 now so I'll be having a similar experience soon. Anyway, I hope it won't start raining for you, that would just be hell, even during the day.

Rain would be hell because on old tyres and even new this car requires careful throttle control up to and including 3rd gear, rain would just pronounce this effect and I would expect the AI cars to begin to go a lot faster than I can manage.

Anyway, I'll be continuing from now, I hope to cover 3 hours tonight :)

11 hours have now passed /180 laps :) I've had the usual re-acustomising accidents/spins this past hour but it's to be expected as usual. It's still dark and shows no sign of morning (it is probably about 3am though to be fair :lol: ).

My lead has grown to nearly 2 laps on the Audi R8 behind me and to illustrate the differences in pit times I came across a good example. I entered the pits and passed a Viper that had just finished having its tyres changed (maybe about 10-15 seconds he'd already been stationary) so as I pulled into my pit box I saw the Viper drop to the floor to finish refuelling. I then proceeded to have a full tyre change and fill 65 litres of fuel, exit the pits and it was only by the time I'd reached the Dunlop bridge (another 10 seconds or so) that I saw the Viper start to move out of the pitlane. This shows how much of an advantage I'm gaining by taking on less fuel than the R8 in second place and explains my lead of nearly 2 laps over an 11 hour period (for those that were wondering earlier) :)

12 hour mark (196 laps) has been reached! :D I am now past the halfway point which I'm very happy about :) I'll be continuing on to do another hour tonight (maybe 2 if I feel up to it).

Not much to say apart from that it's still very dark and I had a slight incident with the McLaren as it left the pits (he swerved across my line and I clipped him sending me into a spin).

Oh and my lead has reached 2 laps so I have a decent lead but for a 24 hour race to only be separated by 2 laps at 12 hours is pretty close I think really.

12 hour mark (196 laps) has been reached! :D I am now past the halfway point which I'm very happy about :) I'll be continuing on to do another hour tonight (maybe 2 if I feel up to it).

Not much to say apart from that it's still very dark and I had a slight incident with the McLaren as it left the pits (he swerved across my line and I clipped him sending me into a spin).

Oh and my lead has reached 2 laps so I have a decent lead but for a 24 hour race to only be separated by 2 laps at 12 hours is pretty close I think really.
Wasn't this years Le Mans won only by about 30 seconds?

Wasn't this years Le Mans won only by about 30 seconds?

Indeed it was but it was the closest for quite a many years, usually there's at least a few laps difference between 1st and 2nd, for example the gap between the lead Audi and the closest other rival (Pescerolo (I discounted the other Audi's in 2nd and 3rd)) the gap between them in 2000 was 24 laps.

13 hours and 213 laps have now passed and I'm pleased to say... The sun is coming up :D Dawn began to break around 30 minutes into the hour and by the end of it it's pretty light now, still no sign of the sun but the sky is blue and visibility is good.

I had a slight coming together which has put quite a dent in the front left corner (I was overtaking the Pescorolo). I tried to go up the inside of him but the gap was too small and I did some damage to both cars, the Pescorolo's wing and diffusor is bent and the left headlight area on the 787B is out of shape :lol:

Last edited:
14 hours /229 laps complete. It sounds odd to say with 10 hours remaining but I believe the end is in sight :lol:

I still lead by 2 laps and set my fastest lap during the first minutes of the hour of 3:24.238, due to trying to set a quick time I did however run out of fuel midway through the porsche curves :(

The sun is now visible in the sky at the lights on the cars have gone out so it's pretty bright now :)

15 hours / 245 laps complete now, seems like these last hours are going pretty fast :)

My lead is now up to 3 laps too :)

There could be trouble up ahead, my wipers turned on just before the 18 hour mark, and it's been getting wetter and wetter.

Top tip: don't change to rain tyres :)

What is wrong with Rain Tyres?

When the drizzle starts (and for me, it really was a drizzle), it doesn't soak the track immediately. It takes a while for the track to get wet and the grip to disappear. After one hour+, even the sky is still blue
gt5_mulsanne1.jpg

My lap times after the rain started:
304 03:13,970 RAIN!
305 03:14,362 18h
306 03:16,096 -14
307 03:16,470
308 03:27,376 PIn
309 04:16,647 POut
310 03:15,632
311 03:12,138
312 03:18,714 SPRAY!
313 03:16,492
314 03:18,554
315 03:31,992 PIn, RR!
316 04:58,638 POut, PIn, RS
317 03:50,666 POut
318 03:21,640
319 03:28,113 -15
320 03:35,258
321 03:34,133

Admittedly, I'm running RS/RS, and now it seems as though the track is soaked enough to warrant a thought of changing, but if you check lap 316, it was over 40 seconds slower than the average "Pit Out"-lap. I'm still running faster on RS/RS than I could on RR/RR.

Last edited:
To be fair, in the picture you posted of drizzle, I'd still use RS or RH or possibly Intermediate Tyres, but not Rain. Only use them for serious rain, when the skies darken and you can barely see in Cockpit view. :)

To be fair, in the picture you posted of drizzle, I'd still use RS or RH or possibly Intermediate Tyres, but not Rain. Only use them for serious rain, when the skies darken and you can barely see in Cockpit view. :)

Precisely, that was what I originally meant with my top tip.

16 hours /261 laps completed now, no sign of rain as far as I can see, no real headaches this hour apart from that it was a bit fragmented and took a long time to do (I was busy). I've only done a few hours tonight but I'll probably make it to 20 hours tomorrow night and the final 4 will be done on friday.

@walla, it's fine since it's all in relation to the race :)

If it is Heavy Rain, would you say use Rain or RS Tyres?

In my experience soft tires are always faster. Rain tires are a joke in this game in my opinion. They do not do what they are supposed to do; which is improve traction in rainy conditions.

By the way I am also currently running the 24h endurance in a Audi TDI and I am currently in first place, leading by 3 laps, with 104 laps completed, 6:52 total time. I have started the race on Sunday and it is now Thursday and I still have 17 hours to put in. I only have been putting in about 1-2 hours of racing each day. It is pretty insane. It has been raining for the last 3 hours and it's night time, so it's really tough to drive, but the AI cars are having an even tougher time in the rain too. They are so slow in the rain it's not even competitive at all.

The race has been real tough on my Audi in the dry though, as some of the AI cars have a lot more top end power and they pit like every 10 laps or something, and since I chose to run on racing softs, I could only do 5 laps before the tires go out.

But in the rain the soft tires are lasting a lot longer. I find that I am running out of fuel before I run out of tire and I've been able to build a 3 laps lead without trying too hard really. Very interesting.

I feel I must continue to build on that 3 laps lead while it's wet because when it finally becomes dry I have a feeling I'm going to get my arse kicked again by those other cars and they are going to close the gap. I figure it will probably stop raining by the 13 hr mark, judging from the OP's post, and the last 10-11 hours of the race will be in the dry, so I must be careful.

I will update as I go.

Going to be doing this 24 hour race in 24 hours with 5 friends, taking hourly stints. :)

Back