A-spec Expert Level British Lightweights: Brands Hatch GP Circuit

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 214 comments
I'm working on a 500 PP Vauhall VX 220 Turbo.
Currently running sub 9 min with a best lap of 1:34 7xx

Car is a bit twitchy still, should be able to go even faster with some LSD and suspension polishing.

From page 4 ;)

Is that 100% stock as in stock suspension, trans, and LSD also? Just asking so I can give it a try with the same specs as yours since I look up to you and measure my skill level against yours. 👍 Thank you.

P.S. In the future, feel free to set a challenge in these events that the rest of us can work towards, if you will. It's what I do to try and improve my skill set. I'm asking this time because the last time I did this, the person took it as an insult and thought I was trying to show them up, which wasn't the case at all. Just wanna be clear here on my intentions, that's all. Thanks.

I had the Rocket & the Seven. Coincidentally I already had an Elise '11 I tuned on Brands GP to 500pp.

I got by the caterham but the rocket was long gone - so I wacked on the racing exhaust to 513pp, had 4 attempts, where as I re-learnt the track I knocked off a few seconds - from 1.38's to 1.35's and found the rocket was 4 seconds quicker overall in the last race when I was closer to him quicker. So to slow him down I then had another go & did 3x 1.37's, a 1.36, and then ambushed him with a 1.34.0 on the last lap to overtake coming onto the final straight.

This was a good event - I just flicked on the M4 daytona race and went straight in the wall. British is best.

................So to slow him down I then had another go & did 3x 1.37's, a 1.36, and then ambushed him with a 1.34.0 on the last lap to overtake coming onto the final straight.

I see the DNA of a Rabbit Hunter in here for sure. Stalk and Ambush is sometimes the way to go.

I have a few questions since I'm new here. What do you guys use to race with? Wheels or joysticks? Automatics or manual transmissions? I have a hand disability which prevents me from racing a manual. I just had another surgery to fix another finger, and already my hand moves better, so I'm hoping I can sometime soon step up and improve my times by getting a better wheel and use a manual. How much time do you think you can shave off (on this course) by using a manual compared to using an automatic?

PS. Be careful when riding an ATV, or you can end up like this!

0601021431.jpg

I have a driving force gt wheel & the paddles are simply buttons rather than paddles, so on manual there's no need to even move your fingers from the wheel grip

Can't say I've ever measured my time on auto against manual - but manual's a lot more fun!

(p.s. there's a sequential stick too)

logitech-driving-force-gt_buttons5.jpg

Last edited:
Manual can be slower - but so intensely enjoyable.
Manual can also be faster - but you have to shift like a genius using the challenges the actual course offers; sometimes a down-shift is the crucial factor in gaining some time, and then factor in that every car is different.
Automatic takes care of all those equations and inputs for the driver - that can be very much faster on occasion.
A driver on manual who doesn't have the intuitive 'shift-consciousness' that RL racing drivers have will be slower.

Final thought? Manual is way more fun. Period.

@DisabledRacer - I would rest that hand and wait till it is completely healed (and the way Nature works it may even be stronger after the heal) before you really go crazy playing manual 24/7. This too shall pass. Plenty of time left to play.
ATVs and Snowmobiles. Fun, and very very dangerous . . . . *shakes head. :)

Thanks. I also have the Driving Force GT.... I just have pretty much no fingertip flexibility, which is why I can't use the paddles. I'm hoping my latest surgery will allow me to steer with my left hand and use my better hand (right) to shift with.

@DisabledRacer - I would rest that hand and wait till it is completely healed (and the way Nature works it may even be stronger after the heal) before you really go crazy playing manual 24/7. This too shall pass. Plenty of time left to play.
ATVs and Snowmobiles. Fun, and very very dangerous . . . . *shakes head. :)

Rest? Wouldn't that require using common sense and brains? If so.... I have no chance in succeeding! :lol:

All kidding aside. Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate them. It's just hard to sit back and take it easy, when I've been pretty much out of action for three years!

Finally had a chance to play today with no wife at home. Enjoyed racing the Rocket against the Rocket rabbit. Took a few hours to win. Now back to the honey-do list. Sigh..

I have a few questions since I'm new here. What do you guys use to race with? Wheels or joysticks? Automatics or manual transmissions? I have a hand disability which prevents me from racing a manual. I just had another surgery to fix another finger, and already my hand moves better, so I'm hoping I can sometime soon step up and improve my times by getting a better wheel and use a manual. How much time do you think you can shave off (on this course) by using a manual compared to using an automatic?

PS. Be careful when riding an ATV, or you can end up like this!

I use the G27 wheel and pedals set. I played all GTs up to GT5 with the controller and then bought this when I found it cheap. I drive it in manual with the flappy pads and would not go back to a controller.

As for this seasonal, I beat the Rocket a couple of times with the Lotus Esprit V8 '02. (I'm surpised they allow cars that begin with over 1200kg into this seasonal. I recall GT5 not doing so.) After driving the Lotus Elise 111R, it felt sluggish despite running 1:34 laps.

I use the G27 wheel and pedals set. I played all GTs up to GT5 with the controller and then bought this when I found it cheap. I drive it in manual with the flappy pads and would not go back to a controller.

As for this seasonal, I beat the Rocket a couple of times with the Lotus Esprit V8 '02. (I'm surpised they allow cars that begin with over 1200kg into this seasonal. I recall GT5 not doing so.) After driving the Lotus Elise 111R, it felt sluggish despite running 1:34 laps.

I use a G27 myself - the paddles are smooth and comfortable - just a flick of the fingers to change - so not much strain, unless one plays overlong. I have a DFGT, too, and it's a great beginner's wheel, but not so much fun manual.
Once one gets used to the wheel there is no going back to the controller.
Unless one is indulging in Photomode . . . then a controller - or keyboard - is a lot better than a wheel. :D

Didn't think it was possible, but I've quite enjoyed this track and event. I remember the Lexus LFA time-trial some time back and didn't enjoy that (due to the car's nature). However, this track does suit the light, agile British cars. Below are the cars I used to get first place:

Evora - best lap of 1:37.265, total time of 9:11.533. Caught the Caterham lead in the latter part of lap 4 and won by a big margin. This car is very quick, but had to add some ballast to the front so it would have better weight balance.
Rocket - best lap of 1:39.959, total time of 9:26.383. Caught the Lotus Elise Sport 190 midway through the last lap. This is a fun car to drive and tends to stick to the track very well.

I just saw something very rare tonight. The "great" driver, D. Papp of the Red Rocket '07 lost control by himself and went off of turn two on the last lap, allowing me to pass! I probably raced this seasonal 100+ times and never saw the "great", D. Papp lose control one time in those 100+ races. Did any of you have the "great" D. Papp lose control in any of your races?

Snapshot_20141207_032854.jpg

I just saw something very rare tonight. The "great" driver, D. Papp of the Red Rocket '07 lost control by himself and went off of turn two on the last lap, allowing me to pass! I probably raced this seasonal 100+ times and never saw the "great", D. Papp lose control one time in those 100+ races. Did any of you have the "great" D. Papp lose control in any of your races?

View attachment 268857
D.Papp made a mistake here Gran Turismo * RABBIT HUNTERS' H.Q. *

I couldn't take out Caterham and Rocket with what I had. Rocket had to be detuned and I found it too slow. Got closest with a weight reduced and dog clutch trans Lotus Esprit 350. Regeared for faster out of the turns and wound up crawling up Caterham's rear but couldn't muster a pass. Haven't made it past third yet... other than that it was stock.

Have anyone else tried to win with the lowest possible PP in this race?

I just saw off Mr Papp in the Rocket with my 450 PP Elise 111R.
Why can't we have the performance disadvantage bonus in GT6 :confused:

Last edited:
Back