A-spec Expert Level Race Car Challenge: Circuito de la Sierra - Time Rally

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 212 comments
Hi,

First of all, congrats to those of you with times in the 7:30s, really impressive!
However, I still think either some line ups are impossible to beat, or there is something about pacing during the lap that affects the leaderboard. I'm posting a pic of a run done yesterday, I finished 3rd with #1 in 7:33.9! According to many leaderboards I see here, my time could have been enough for 1st in many of them, but 7:33, wow!
That being said, Minolta with P's tune and no TC yields best results for me so far.

Good luck to all! I'm enjoying the event nonetheless...

Got my first gold in this one at 7:43xxx. I am now running constant 40-41's and getting second every time. Even driving clean as possible, the lead car seems to have some magical powers whereby they are able to stick corners at impossible speeds and so much faster on the straights that it is impossible for me to compete. Kind of dis-heartening to be running 40's and still being cleaned up by 9 secs at the finish. bah, humbug.

I finally managed a win using the LM55 and Praiano's tune (posted earlier) with the final value changed to 3.480. I think that there was some battling going on between the front cars because 1-3 were bunched together by the time I was close. I passed 2 of them by going on the outside on the long curve before the final "S". I am no sooner through when I realize that the Minolta has spun out and laying right across the track. I got around him without a collision but the C60 was right on my tail. Since I didn't want to win by blocking him I stayed legit and managed to win by 0.018. I subsequently breathed a huge sigh of relief. If time permits, I'll try again with some of the other recommended cars and tunes.

I've had a few attempts with the Pescarolo Hybrid. I went from finishing somewhere around 11th on a terrible run, to several 4th place finishes & a 2nd place by a whisker. I have not yet done a clean run & I'm far from being one of the fastest in this forum so it's definitely possible to win for a lot of people. I expect I'll get it at my next visit.

I found that you can be aggressive with the 1st jump & it's not too hard to get a controllable landing. Holding back seems to make it harder. Just don't overshoot the tarmac.

Had a go with the Nissan R92CP, Toyota GTOne and the Mazda 787B Stealth. The Nissan was by far the easiest - golded on 2nd try. The other 2 were pretty good but took me a few goes to work up the winning drive. All tunes are Praiano I think.

The field for the Nissan win was the easiest I've come across - the Minolta always stayed ahead of the Pescarolo - every run.
Though I'm still unsure if when you bump the AI that ALL of them take off for a little bit. I nudged the Jag on one of the uphill hairpins and the Toyota 7 ahead of both of us took off at the same speed as the Jag did when it boosted away. Also I nudged the Sauber C9, it took off in front of me and so did the Toyota 7 that was behind me, overtaking me and leaving me for dust - but I didn't touch him!!! However I have gone back through replays of various races and I can't find any clear evidence. And its not consistent either. some nudges trigger nothing from the AI, and the other cars do not always respond when I nudge an AI. What I have found to be consistent is that my wins and where I catch 1st place earliest is always on my cleanest runs - even in slower cars and even when I lose time by sitting behind an AI in order to overtake at the next straight.

On a side note, I really enjoy nudging the Peugoet 905B Evo1 Bis LM as if its timed right, he'll fly straight into the next gravel trap!!! He's a nutter!!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for everybody's inputs.
I finally got gold several times last night with the Minolta, with a best run in 7:36.4.
I'd say that the main issues with this event are memorizing the track, and not touching AI, in that order. Yesterday I finally got the track memorized, and when it starts to flow it becomes pure joy!! Focusing mostly on the AI can be really frustrating, because weird things are happening here. They can get super aggressive with their turbo boost on. But once you've got the track down, it's not that much of a problem because you know where to make safe moves.
I used stock Praiano's tune. Initially I tried to lower downforce to get more speed, but on this track I think it's best to leave it at max setting. Also, this car has incredible brakes, it takes a bit of time to realize how good they are at the end of the braking zones.
I've been playing GT since the very first one, and this has been one of the most difficult events I've ever seen, again mostly because it takes a while to know the track. And logically one of the most satisfying to gold for that same reason!

Attachments

• IMG_20150819_192350~2.jpg
    IMG_20150819_192350~2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
Now THAT was a challenge! I hope it answers those who are always complaining GT6 is too easy. Respect to those who won this one after only a couple of attempts (or even a couple of dozen)!

I kept making annoying mistakes, like getting excited and spinning from first place at the last corner, but got it in the end with the Chapparal 2X by a couple of seconds. Not too troubled by the AIs racing away when I touched them, at least not as much as others have seemed to be.

Sorry to have had to use Driving Line and auto transmission, but I am 73 and hope I can be forgiven. It that a record?
image.jpg

Never used this track before and now 2 seasonals in a row :mad:
tried this a couple of times and my best was 11th position about 50 seconds after the winning car.
really need to learn the track,because i'm making a lot of mistakes on this track.

I've been playing this seasonal most evenings since it opened in my trusty 787B, finally won for the first time today! Must have attempted 50+ times.

I used TCS3 to give me a chance of getting the power down out of corners.

Frustrating but also fun :-)

Hey all. Brand new to this forum. In fact, this is the very first time I have posted anything. Just signed up not 5 minutes ago. However, I am far from a newbie to Gran Turismo. I have been playing since...oh. let me think here...uh, since 1998 maybe. Anyways, to comment on this Seasonal Event, is there a glitch or is my PS3 not working right? When I join the race, it is unlike the other two Seasonal Events. In that they show the rolling start and this one just jumps right in there after a long pause on a still frame. Once it does start, the car in front of me is just disappearing over the hill. 28 second head start. I am using the Bentley Speed 8. I can't catch any other cars. I was using the Sauber Mercedes and the results were even worse than with the Bentley. All the other events I am getting Gold or Silver but, this one is killing me. Even the time trial on the same course I can get a silver (just barely). If anyone has a solution or can give me any advice as to how to at least be competitive, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Sorry to have had to use Driving Line and auto transmission, but I am 73 and hope I can be forgiven. It that a record?

I used the driving line too :sly:. Otherwise I never do, but for once I made an exception :lol:. By the way, if anybody doesn't know this track very well, it helps ;). Vive les Jordies! (Long live Jordies!)

Edit: translation

Last edited:
Hey all. Brand new to this forum. In fact, this is the very first time I have posted anything. Just signed up not 5 minutes ago. However, I am far from a newbie to Gran Turismo. I have been playing since...oh. let me think here...uh, since 1998 maybe. Anyways, to comment on this Seasonal Event, is there a glitch or is my PS3 not working right? When I join the race, it is unlike the other two Seasonal Events. In that they show the rolling start and this one just jumps right in there after a long pause on a still frame. Once it does start, the car in front of me is just disappearing over the hill. 28 second head start. I am using the Bentley Speed 8. I can't catch any other cars. I was using the Sauber Mercedes and the results were even worse than with the Bentley. All the other events I am getting Gold or Silver but, this one is killing me. Even the time trial on the same course I can get a silver (just barely). If anyone has a solution or can give me any advice as to how to at least be competitive, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
I didn't participate in this particular event, so I can't offer you any advice or tell you if that strange starting procedure is normal or not, but I can say "Welcome to GTPlanet!"... I just wanted to say hello. :)

I didn't participate in this particular event, so I can't offer you any advice or tell you if that strange starting procedure is normal or not, but I can say "Welcome to GTPlanet!"... I just wanted to say hello. :)
ALB123 Why, Thank You! That is very nice of you. Happy to be here. I gotta tell you that I just purchased two "Vision" cars. The BMW and the Mazda LM55. I didn't even test drive the Mazda before putting a tune on it from this forum. While I was able to pass the car infront of me for a brief period, I still finished last. I am going to give the Beamer a go and also try the Mazda with no tune. I would like to add that you should try these events at least once. I find that after completing all of the "normal" races (with the exception of that damn go cart race at the GT arena that I can not, for the life in me, achieve gold) that the seasonal events are the only reason I keep playing. Gives me something to spend the $13M I had left over after accumulating all the stars (except the previously mentioned 1 star) Anyways, thanks again for the warm welcome and I will hope to hear from you again. Take care...

A couple of the popular cars for this race seem to be the 2005 Pescarolo C60 Hybride and the Toyota Minolta Group C race car. I will be VERY surprised if the BMW VGT can win this race, but stranger things have happened. :lol: :D 👍

Got the C-60 Hybrid down to a 7:00 lap. Same setting as before, just added a little toe to the front end. Made it a lot more stable. The only way I can navigate the first jump is to brake hard before the jump.

Front toe at 0.10 Rear toe, 0.02.

Edit to add previous tune:

Started with Praiano tune, then tweaked it to this.

Ride height 45, 60
Spring rate 16.85, 19.00
Dampers C 7, 7
Dampers E 7,7
Anti-Roll 5,5
Camber and Toe all 0
Brake Balance 6, 7
Trans. changed final to 2.885
LSD 5,7,8
Low RPM Turbo
Downforce 600, 825
Ballast 9 kg at -50
That's a great tune @g2010ag!..It netted me a 7:03.xxx with my first clean lap at the time trial at Sierra..Thanks!..:cheers:

The weird start sequence happens in this seasonal for everyone - no idea why though.

As for advice, a good tune (there are several in this thread alone - I use shaunm80's because they suit me being auto tunes (I have damaged tendons in my right hand which can make racing manual a painful experience)), some practice on the track and otherwise focus on fast and clean, you cannot afford to touch the AI (they get a massive speed boost) and need to stay on the track and remember which jumps you need to slow for/take a specific line on will help. Otherwise you just need to work on your time - if you can do a 7:10 lap (so about 7:38 total time) you should win as long as you refrain from contact with the AI (with practice you will find there are plenty of passing places if you drive smooth and patient).

@vonFcukd welcome to GTP. I'm guessing this track has a long load time and having the still picture lets it load faster than if it were showing in the rolling start video while the track loads. I could be totally wrong....

If you have to wait more than 25 - 30 seconds for the race to start you may have a problem. I think it takes about 20 seconds to start and that is normal for this event.

The beginning isn't really a still picture, its actually a random live shot of the track, the pre-race parade still goes on as usual, one of the random shot I saw was at the start of the final straight on the track, and you can clearly see the cars doing the parade. And of course as I said earlier, you can definitely see the parade too in the post race replay. So I don't understand what PD tried to do here.

2005 Pescarolo C60 Hybride has been fastest for me with a 7:00 lap.

Started with Praiano tune, then tweaked it to this.

Ride height 45, 60
Spring rate 16.85, 19.00
Dampers C 7, 7
Dampers E 7,7
Anti-Roll 5,5
Camber 0,0
Toe .10, .02
Brake Balance 6, 7
Trans. changed final to 2.885
LSD 5,7,8
Low RPM Turbo
Downforce 600, 825
Ballast 9 kg at -50

The ballast at front was in attempt to keep the front end down on the jumps. Not sure how much help. The first jump I have to hit the brakes just before the jump or risk going wild off the right.

As others have mentioned the start is just a random shot of the track as the parade starts.

Used a bastardisation of a couple of LM55 tunes I found on here, finally cracked it after racking up 200 or so miles on my second LM55:lol: Once you find a car that works for you, it's quite a fun event. You have to push hard to stand a chance, and you have to be clean and decisive with the overtakes, otherwise Bob just hares off never to be caught again. The payout isn't half bad either:cheers:

If you're having a hard time with the 'normal' cars and want an easy gold, try the Chaparral 2X. After a few 3rd places with the C60, I tried with the 2X. I had to take some time to get the feel of it, but with a decent clean lap you should be first before the 5-and-a-half-minute mark.

So frustrating!!

I know I can do at least 3rd though if I get it clean and don't get rammed or brake tested by the AI...

(correction, I can definitely get 2nd so 1st can't be that much harder) :)

Last edited:
If you're having a hard time with the 'normal' cars and want an easy gold, try the Chaparral 2X. After a few 3rd places with the C60, I tried with the 2X. I had to take some time to get the feel of it, but with a decent clean lap you should be first before the 5-and-a-half-minute mark.
I find the 2X way harder to use here than other cars, since it requires such a different driving style from a traditional car. Because your thrust and downforce are both controlled by the gas pedal, a lot of regular driving techniques just don't seem to work (e.g., lifting to correct understeer).

It's fun to drive as a change of pace, but I personally find it to be rather hard to use effectively in events like this.

Though kudos to those of you who can use it! :cheers: I've seen it in the top 10 in the time trial for this track, so I know the car's more than capable of it in the right hands.

OK So I just got 3rd with the Pescarolo & Praiano's tune. Could have had 2nd quite early on but got rammed. So I think I should be able to do it. Not using the wheel as I don't have the space for it in my current place but reckon I can still do it with the DS3 :)

I agree that the Chaparral can be a monster of a car. Personally, I can't stand using these VGT cars with invented technologies and such, but I don't pass judgement on those who do. It takes a little getting used to - driving the Chaparral 2X. You've got to convince your brain to keep your foot on the gas pedal at certain times where you would normally lift.

By the way...great Avatar! I just listened to Interstellar Overdrive about 20 minutes ago.

Tried to run this race again with the Hybride for about 2 hours. Still stuck in 3rd 11 seconds back despite running 7:09.xxx's (Lap Time, not Total Time), still hate this challenge with a burning passion, still hate that no other car I've driven can ever get close to the top 2 cars in this race, still hate Sierra in cars over 600pp, still waiting for my next paycheck to come so I can upgrade to a better game...

GT6, rest in peace as far as I'm concerned.

Wow! Awesome! Thank you, very much. I really do appreciate it. I am going to take your advice and run with it. I would also like to add that up till today I was using a G-Shock controller. However, when I was out shopping today, I happened to find an excellent deal on a Logitech Driving Force Steering wheel and pedals. I was thrilled. I was not even looking for one today and lo and behold, there it was on the shelf. I am so excited about getting this. I will probably be writing more about it but, MAN! It is like a whole new game with this puppy. I am stoked. Using the paddles to shift is like learning the game all over again and each track is a whole new challenge. So brilliant. Other than being jammed into your seat when you hit the accelerator, it is just like driving one of these cars. (I come from a "Car Family" between my Mom, Dad & myself I have been able to actually drive a couple Ferrari's (Dino & 360) '71 Pantera, 350 Shelby, '70 442, '68 GTO, '68 Firebird with a balanced and blueprinted Chevy 350, Sunbeam Tiger, Formula 400, '70 Bronco w/ 302, & currently my Dad has a 2001 NSX that he bought from Joe Rogan and 'ol Joe had that thing supercharged and tricked out. Pretty sick...) But, my license got revoked 4 years ago and I am jonesing for some time behind the wheel. ANyway, I am rambling like a ho on meth. I digress. Back to the game and my new found WHEEL!!!

Now THAT was a challenge! I hope it answers those who are always complaining GT6 is too easy. Respect to those who won this one after only a couple of attempts (or even a couple of dozen)!

I kept making annoying mistakes, like getting excited and spinning from first place at the last corner, but got it in the end with the Chapparal 2X by a couple of seconds. Not too troubled by the AIs racing away when I touched them, at least not as much as others have seemed to be.

Sorry to have had to use Driving Line and auto transmission, but I am 73 and hope I can be forgiven. It that a record?View attachment 433631
Hi Mr. Watson. Congratulations on your win. I have been trying all day (and a good part of yesterday) to beat this damn race and the best I have finished so far was 11th (ugh!) I never thought I would see the day that I would be happy to even see 9th place during a race (just for a few seconds and then I messed up and back to 11th I went) but, I must say, it happened today. Even though this event will be ending in just 4 short days (short since I have to go back to work tomorrow after and extended "sick" leave) I was wondering if there was a specific "tune" that you used on you Mazda
The weird start sequence happens in this seasonal for everyone - no idea why though.

As for advice, a good tune (there are several in this thread alone - I use shaunm80's because they suit me being auto tunes (I have damaged tendons in my right hand which can make racing manual a painful experience)), some practice on the track and otherwise focus on fast and clean, you cannot afford to touch the AI (they get a massive speed boost) and need to stay on the track and remember which jumps you need to slow for/take a specific line on will help. Otherwise you just need to work on your time - if you can do a 7:10 lap (so about 7:38 total time) you should win as long as you refrain from contact with the AI (with practice you will find there are plenty of passing places if you drive smooth and patient).

Back