A-spec Expert Level Race Car Challenge: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 149 comments
Hey Chris. Have won in the Pescarola-Judd, 787b stealth, lm55 and the Nissan rc????? Best of all is the LM55. As others have said, this is not for the purist. Its a bit of a bump and grind to get through, but that's the way the AI are playing, so game on.

Thanks for the feedback. I've won with the Judd and the 787B Stealt. Now I'm going to try the 908 HDi FAP. I recall using it on the ring in GT and although it wasn't that fast it handled like a dream. We'll see.

PS: I'd be curious if anyone wins with the 2J. I've beaten the Ring with the 2J more times than I can count but at 700pp it's a crazy ride. It's way faster than any of the other cars but keeping it on the pavement is a different situation. Roughly 30 seconds into the race after the first straightaway there is that little incline/jump. If you don't hit the brakes hard and early, you 908will be in the air for a LONG time. It's actually kind of fun. I'd like to make a track with a bunch of straightaways and jumps just to see how highly I can get.

Edit: the 908 is SLOW. It handles ok but that's probably just because it's going so slow.

Last edited:
This Seasonal is often a frustrating beast!!!:crazy:

I decided to run the race with a numerous cars to compare how they perform, but due to the variation in how the AI cars drive from race to race, I've found that its quite tough to compare multiple races to each other.:banghead:

For each race, I decided to tune my cars to 665PPV (no particular reason for this number, it was just a PPvalue that seemed reasonable for the first car I used).

So far, I've run the Seasonal and beat the AI cars with the following cars (and showing my fastest race time with each car):

Audi R8 Team Playstation---------6:24.661
Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model-------6:19.632
Bentley Speed 8 '03---------------6:23.087
BMW V12 LMR '99-----------------6:22.550
Chaparral 2J '70-------------------6:26.141
Mazda 787B '91-------------------6:19.639
Mazda LM55 Vision----------------6:18.235
Minolta Toyota 88CV '89----------6:17.983
Pescarolo Courage C60 '03-------6:21.609
Pescarolo Judd GV5 '04-----------6:20.274
Pescarolo C60 Hybride '05--------6:20.666
Peugeot 905B EVO LM '92--------6:15.276
Peugeot 908 HDi Team Peugeot--6:21.464

So far, my fastest race time was: 6:15.276
My slowest winning race time was: 6:30.566
My largest winning margin was: 20.601 seconds
My smallest winning margin was: 0.648 seconds

The 20 second winning margin was against a slow lineup (without the Pescarolo Hybride) while I was using the Mazda LM55. The Nissan R92CP took second place in the race, and I suspect that he had an off somewhere which caused him to be extra slow.

Many of the AI cars can't really handle the speeds that they are achieving as they drive thru various portions of the Nurburgring track.:dopey:

An example of this occurred during my slowest winning race. I was driving the BMV V12 LMR and was catching up with the Sauber Mercedes C9 as we streaked thru Mutkurve. The Sauber Mercedes carried too much speed going into Klostertal and he spun out after smacking the armco. This left the Sauber sitting cross-wise on the track when I approached. I could not avoid him, so I ran straight into him and drove right over him and continued on!!:mischievous::D This put me into 5th place in the race, and a bit later I was able to catch the leading AI pack and pass them before Dottinger, and then took the race win with the 6:30.566 race time.:) I took a look at the replay after the race and saw that the Sauber Mercedes was still going 176mph as it attempted to drive thru Klostertal, so no wonder he couldn't make it thru the corner without a major off!:dopey:

My success rate for this Seasonal race is about one win for every seven attempts.:ill::ouch:

Very often one of the AI will spinout in the early part of the track, so I often smack right into the AI at speed, which causes us both a trip to the pits for new parts and replacement drivers.:D Quite a mixture of fun and frustration!:boggled:

Basic specs for my cars:
----------------------------
Audi R8 Team Playstation, PPV: 665, HP: 726, Wgt: 950
Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model, PPV: 665, HP: 663, Wgt: 885
Bentley Speed 8 '03, PPV: 665, HP: 675, Wgt: 930
BMW V12 LMR '99, PPV: 665, HP: 712, Wgt: 930
Chaparral 2J '70, PPV: 665, HP: 720, Wgt: 850
Mazda 787B '91, PPV: 665, HP: 734, Wgt: 860
Mazda LM55 Vision, PPV: 665 (added ballast and used PLimiter)
Minolta Toyota 88CV '89, PPV: 665, HP: 722, Wgt: 900
Pescarolo Courage C60 '03, PPV: 665, HP: 682, Wgt: 940
Pescarolo Judd GV5 '04, PPV: 665, HP: 701, Wgt: 930
Pescarolo C60 Hybride '05, PPV: 665, HP: 711, Wgt: 940
Peugeot 905B EVO LM '92, PPV: 665, HP: 678, Wgt: 780
Peugeot 908 HDi Team Peugeot, PPV: 665, HP: 646, Wgt: 950

See you on the Ring!
GTsail

Last edited:
Did a REALLY close to 100% clean and check out the time. AI cars all behaved. It was a weird one.

image.jpg

That deserves a beer.

I've been using the 2X and by all rights, I think this is the fastest car for this event.

That said, it would be great if I could do better than 3rd. It is so unstable that a mere hint of grass or touching the AI will have you spinning like nothing.

So unless you can manage relatively clean laps, this may not be the best car and that title stays with the LM55.

Hello

I hate when some Gtplanet members start complain about Seasonals, and cry like a little girls, "It is too hard.. How come PD? Are you serious?" Blah Blah, just try to win the seasonals if you think is too hard for you try again, I am the slowest driver in my PSN friend list but I had a lot of fun...

Mazda LM55 VGT
G25, No aids (Only ABS 1), Not a clean race, Great Prizes and a Great Gift!!

IMG_0180.JPG

See you on the track!
Jedi :gtpflag:

Last edited:
I could not win this with the LM55, the 787 Stealth or the 1989 Minolta. Most tries were with the LM55.Then i won the Race with the Pescarolo C60 Hybride Judd 05. First try with that car in this event, the C60 was equipped with a tune from the last Tokyo Race Event published in the thread. I was in third place on the Nurbs final long straight, then passed a Sauber and the leading Toyota 7 after the very last turn. Winning margin was 00.090. :P

Most difficult part of this is not actually winning. It's getting around cars like the Deltawing and XJR-9, which seem to only serve as a way to queue up other AI cars behind them.

Finally won in the Peugeot 905b after many failed attempts due to crazy AI, or my own driving causing big spins. This was the first clean lap and was an easy win. I took the lead on the final long straight, coasted from the top of hill just to be extra safe, not mess up and lose again! I hate being so cautious.

The LM55 seemed too wide for me, and also felt a bit heavy in comparison to the 905. I just couldn't do clean laps. Still love the car, but just not on this track. The 905 is another story... this little beast seems to be my goto 700pp winner. It's such a nice lively drive, a bit like the TS030 in terms of stability and controllability. It's also ludicrously fast, I got up to 272mph slipstreaming P2 on the final straight, hence the coasting home..lol

So.. a great challenge, frustrating but rewarding. Thanks PD.

This Seasonal is often a frustrating beast!!!:crazy:

I decided to run the race with a numerous cars to compare how they perform, but due to the variation in how the AI cars drive from race to race, I've found that its quite tough to compare multiple races to each other.:banghead:

For each race, I decided to tune my cars to 665PPV (no particular reason for this number, it was just a PPvalue that seemed reasonable for the first car I used).

So far, I've run the Seasonal and beat the AI cars with the following cars (and showing my fastest race time with each car):

Audi R8 Team Playstation--------6:24.661
Bentley Speed 8 '03---------------6:23.087
BMW V12 LMR '99-----------------6:22.550
Chaparral 2J '70-------------------6:26.141
Mazda 787B '91-------------------6:19.639
Pescarolo Courage C60 '03-------6:21.609
Pescarolo Judd GV5 '04-----------6:20.274
Pescarolo C60 Hybride '05--------6:20.666
Peugeot 908 HDi Team Peugeot--6:21.464

So far, my fastest race time was: 6:19.639
My slowest winning race time was: 6:30.566
My largest winning margin was: 14.498 seconds
My smallest winning margin was: 0.648 seconds

Many of the AI cars can't really handle the speeds that they are achieving as they drive thru various portions of the Nurburgring track.:dopey:

An example of this occurred during my slowest winning race. I was driving the BMV V12 LMR and was catching up with the Sauber Mercedes C9 as we streaked thru Mutkurve. The Sauber Mercedes carried too much speed going into Klostertal and he spun out after smacking the armco. This left the Sauber sitting cross-wise on the track when I approached. I could not avoid him, so I ran straight into him and drove right over him and continued on!!:mischievous::D This put me into 5th place in the race, and a bit later I was able to catch the leading AI pack and pass them before Dottinger, and then took the race win with the 6:30.566 race time.:) I took a look at the replay after the race and saw that the Sauber Mercedes was still going 176mph as it attempted to drive thru Klostertal, so no wonder he couldn't make it thru the corner without a major off!:dopey:

My success rate for this Seasonal race is about one win for every seven attempts.:ill::ouch:

Very often one of the AI will spinout in the early part of the track, so I often smack right into the AI at speed, which causes us both a trip to the pits for new parts and replacement drivers.:D Quite a mixture of fun and frustration!:boggled:

Basic specs for my cars:
----------------------------
Audi R8 Team Playstation, PPV: 665, HP: 726, Wgt: 950
Bentley Speed 8 '03, PPV: 665, HP: 675, Wgt: 930
BMW V12 LMR '99, PPV: 665, HP: 712, Wgt: 930
Chaparral 2J '70, PPV: 665, HP: 720, Wgt: 850
Mazda 787B '91, PPV: 665, HP: 734, Wgt: 860
Pescarolo Courage C60 '03, PPV: 665, HP: 682, Wgt: 940
Pescarolo Judd GV5 '05, PPV: 665, HP: 701, Wgt: 930
Pescarolo C60 Hybride '05, PPV: 665, HP: 711, Wgt: 940
Peugeot 908 HDi Team Peugeot, PPV: 665, HP: 646, Wgt: 950

See you on the Ring!
GTsail
Well done bud and an excellent write up!! :cheers:👍👍

I tried it with the 2013 Deltawing but gave up because the car just doesn't feel right. The front feels like it's not on the ground and thus, I get no feel in the steering. That and I think it's PP range is too high as the car just isn't fast enough to compete with others in the high 600pp range.

PS: I'd be curious if anyone wins with the 2J. I've beaten the Ring with the 2J more times than I can count but at 700pp it's a crazy ride. It's way faster than any of the other cars but keeping it on the pavement is a different situation. Roughly 30 seconds into the race after the first straightaway there is that little incline/jump. If you don't hit the brakes hard and early, you will be in the air for a LONG time. It's actually kind of fun.

I've won with the 2J.

Race time of: 6:26.141 with a 5.405 second margin over the Sauber Mercedes C9

I think it took me the usual six or seven attempts before I could keep the 2J on the track long enough for the win!:dopey::D

As you say, the 2J doesn't really like driving on the Ring. The bumps and curbs easily upset the 2J (I imagine that its getting airborne too much) and this causes the 2J to lose its downforce, so you can't carry decent speed thru some of the corners. The 2J makes this lost time back up on the straights, but still the lap times are compromised. You just need to drive the 2J more conservatively than you would really expect (and more conservative than it would need to be driven on a flatter track). Its not as much fun to drive on the Ring as the other cars because you can't really push it as hard thru some of the turns as its possible with other cars:( (at least for me).

Good luck with your continued attempts!:cheers:
GTsail

If the speeds theses car carry on Nring is realistic, those drivers are crazy. I've crashed so many times attempting this race I'd be dead 300 times over.
The Nissan R90 '92 will try to pull you off of the track in the long line before the carousel. I hated that.. good driver :mad:

Finally able to get gold but had to switch to AT because in MT it would not downshift when I was in a corner for some reason and I was losing a ton of time. I've experienced this issue before but never as bad as this event. I'm a DS3 user BTW. Even though I won I feel like I cheated. I think PD needs to look into this issue.

Finally able to get gold but had to switch to AT because in MT it would not downshift when I was in a corner for some reason and I was losing a ton of time. I've experienced this issue before but never as bad as this event. I'm a DS3 user BTW. Even though I won I feel like I cheated. I think PD needs to look into this issue.
Wow

I love LMPs, specially Group Cs, and the ring. So much that i did this event 10x by now.

But there is one thing that i hate about racing them here - overtaking traffic at 200mph+, jumping up and down while keeping it on the road which is about the same width as one car.

I would love a 450PP race here. And for the LMP event, how about La Sarthe at night, in the rain?

:cheers:

Just getting around to this and I actually had fun 👍.

Reminded me a lot of a seasonal on GT5 (600pp on the Ring) that I used to verify setups for all my racecars. (Except for that darn Deltawing, depending on the race lineup by the time you get to it he as 3 or 4 cars backed up like rush hour traffic.) I do admit if you don't use driving aids 700pp is a little over the top for Nurburgring and RH tires does not help the situation.

Now that I've gotten gold with the LM55 I'm going to see if/ how many of my favorite LMP 1 cars can win this.

This is a poster example of what has made me hate GT6. Great physics, great track, great driving experience...awful overall experience caused by stupid details that could be easily fixed but havent been after YEARS. I love the Nordschelife and I'm competent enough to gold any time trial on it but this event is frustrating beyond reason.

Nevermind class-racing, nevermind realistic car/track setups or an adaptive AI. All things possible and already done by the competition. While Sector 3 achieves all this with a modest budget, what does PD accomplish with millions of sales and the biggest budget of simracing?

An uneven mix-match of cars on an unsuitable track, a ridiculous gap and a stupid time limit that makes you drive like a frenzied dork on cars that are hard to control in such a track, an AI that bumps, brake-checks, spins out, pushes you out of track and is always a pain in the behind to overtake even though they're vastly inferior drivers. FUN FOR EVERYONE!

I'm done. Does someone even try this things before releasing them? Don't bother buying a PS4 for GT7, that money is best spent on a decent gaming PC.

Last edited:
For anyone still having problems getting gold on this with the Mazda VGT LM55 give the 1989 Minolta Toyota 88C-V(Prainao's Tune I think) a try. I fell in love with that car in GT4 and it continues to be my all time favorite LMP car.

I was surprised that my first try in that car was over 2 seconds faster than the gold lap I got in the Mazda VGT. IMO the Toyota is faster, handles better and is more forgiving. (ABS only used on both cars).

Its worth noting that the same old "passing opportunities" are there from past ring events (before corner entry) but the window is a little smaller. All bets are off if you come up on 2 or more AI's fighting it out (probably trying to get around the Delta Wing!). If you continue to try with the same race "lineup" you will see a pattern develop.

I also managed gold in the Peugeot 905 B E1 which I don't recommend. (TCS 1 is a must) It has superior front aero grip but the power band is so abrupt making it a handful at times.

After I try the 1999 Toyota GT One I may give some of the cars on @ccaranna list a try.

I hate when some Gtplanet members start complain about Seasonals, and cry like a little girls, "It is too hard.. How come PD? Are you serious?" Blah Blah, just try to win the seasonals if you think is too hard for you try again, I am the slowest driver in my PSN friend list but I had a lot of fun...

Mazda LM55 VGT
G25, No aids (Only ABS 1), Not a clean race, Great Prizes and a Great Gift!!
I hate when wheel users start complaining about DS3 users. Good for you that you can win with whatever car you like. If you want to win certain seasonals you're (almost) forced to buy a wheel. It should be more fun with a wheel, not make the DS3 more frustrating.

Make just a little mistake and you have to start over. Even if you recover fairly quickly, you still lose your momentum for the rest of the race. I have noticed that if you make a little mistake and regain grip, you somehow spin out 2 turns later for no reason.

I used a Pesky (a nickname I give to the Pescarolo C60 Hybride because it is fast on straights and quick on corners. I had four close races involving one driven by an AI). I won against an R92CP by a good 6 seconds. I had to play dirty a bit, but they didn't pay off much. For extra credit, I did it with one hour left before the event was pulled.

Back