A-spec Expert Level Racing Car Challenge: Tokyo R246

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 197 comments
T I dropped an insane amount of credits buying up all sorts of LMPs last time. Now only a handful can be used reliably. That's just disappointing.

When fuel and tire usage come into play, things are little bit different.

For the endurance races, including the last 24-minute Daytona seasonal event, I actually prefer the 908 HDi FAP over the C60 Hybride and the Group C prototypes. Surely the C60 Hybride is a lot faster but you also use more fuel and burn more rubber. With the 908 and its easy handling, I can simply relax and cruise myself to victory.

But yeah, if you want a competitive 700PP car for sprint race, just stick with the C60 Hybride and the 2J. :lol:

This is the first expert level seasonal I haven't raced in over a year. I have no desire to even try one time. Why? As others have pointed out, we had a similar event just a short while ago. It also doesn't interest me by limiting our choices in what can win. How many different cars can win? 5-7? That's boring to me, as is not having a paint job to win. At least give us an option to win either a repeat paint job someone might not have, or the prize car. Food for thought...

Just managed to get my best overall, 7:21 previous best was 7:25, the credit earning potential, if you can consistently finish 1st, is pretty good, 450,000 (with 200% login) every 7 mins, works out to something like 3.5 million per hour which is not to be sniffed at :P Consistently running 1:22's 1:23's should get you the gold. Some of the AI are hilarious especially the first corner, the amount of times I've seen a car facing me cos it's hit the wall and spun round is ridiculous, they seem to love smashing into those tires haha

Attachments

• WP_20150621_005[1].jpg
    WP_20150621_005[1].jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 49
Forgive me if I've confused you with another GTP member, but don't you use Skid Recovery Force and Traction Control? With no aids activated, the Minolta can be quite a handful on this track. That's probably why the Minolta isn't being used quite as much in this event. I absolutely love my Toyota Minolta! I usually only run it at La Sarthe, however, as I have a very difficult time with the car on tight circuits.

You are correct, I use a DS3/Auto, SRF and usually TC1. As I learn each car/track combo I switch back and forth between SRF on and off, but usually use TC1 or sometimes TC2 depending on the car. But the non use of this car still baffles me, as it's not any harder to drive with SRF off than the other cars IMO. It must be my driving style.

I think most of the complaining has to do with the fact that we just ran this event (reverse layout) 4 weeks ago. It shows a tremendous amount of laziness on the part of PD. That's just my guess, however, because that is the main reason I'm upset with this seasonal event. I will admit that I'm not a big fan of LMPs on tracks like this, but it's because I have trouble seeing what's important...apexes, turn ins, etc..when the PP level is so high and things are moving so fast. It's the same reason I don't drive the Red Bull X cars...

I agree 100%. There are so many shadows on this track that the visual experience is impossibly busy at LMP-car speeds. LMP-cars on this track are an exercise in restart frustration really. On a long, tight, busy track like this the experience would have been much better with a short wheelbase RWD LM car. Something with enough power to make the track not feel so long, but slow enough to allow the driver to concentrate on the line instead of not wrecking. I think an FD RX-7 LM or S2000 LM would have been just the ticket here.

You are correct, I use a DS3/Auto, SRF and usually TC1. As I learn each car/track combo I switch back and forth between SRF on and off, but usually use TC1 or sometimes TC2 depending on the car. But the non use of this car still baffles me, as it's not any harder to drive with SRF off than the other cars IMO. It must be my driving style.

I agree 100%. There are so many shadows on this track that the visual experience is impossibly busy at LMP-car speeds. LMP-cars on this track are an exercise in restart frustration really. On a long, tight, busy track like this the experience would have been much better with a short wheelbase RWD LM car. Something with enough power to make the track not feel so long, but slow enough to allow the driver to concentrate on the line instead of not wrecking. I think an FD RX-7 LM or S2000 LM would have been just the ticket here.

One thing that really helped on this one was a change in how I approached the event after having an off, or missing an apex. Usually I would just keep restarting and restarting until I got a clean run, but that just led to lots and lots of frustration- and subsequently, slower and slower times. But, on this event, I decided to just stick with it almost every time something negative happened on the track; I completed the event most of the times I started it, instead of just restarting constantly. That changed everything for me....I ended up practicing ALL of the corners instead of just the first few, as happened in the past. I plan on taking the same approach to places like the Nordschliefe etc in the future.

One thing that really helped on this one was a change in how I approached the event after having an off, or missing an apex. Usually I would just keep restarting and restarting until I got a clean run, but that just led to lots and lots of frustration- and subsequently, slower and slower times. But, on this event, I decided to just stick with it almost every time something negative happened on the track; I completed the event most of the times I started it, instead of just restarting constantly. That changed everything for me....I ended up practicing ALL of the corners instead of just the first few, as happened in the past. I plan on taking the same approach to places like the Nordschliefe etc in the future.

Clever approach there ;)

You are 100% correct

I decided to just stick with it almost every time something negative happened on the track; I completed the event most of the times I started it, instead of just restarting constantly. That changed everything for me....I ended up practicing ALL of the corners instead of just the first few, as happened in the past. I plan on taking the same approach to places like the Nordschliefe etc in the future.

I do this every time, I'm speaking more about when you finally know all your braking points, and how to really drive the track, and you're pushing harder than you should to get a great time, and then mess up. The only thing that really helps me in that instance is to drive slow for a lap or 2 and gradually increase my speed, otherwise it's re-start hell.

Just try this event today, wow, the AI car just like those licker from QM. Overtook me from sharp corner ! Just like they are using Racing soft :crazy:. Seeing many using this C60, me too don't waste time but just be throttle steady while on the curb.
20150623_055858.jpg

I do this every time, I'm speaking more about when you finally know all your braking points, and how to really drive the track, and you're pushing harder than you should to get a great time, and then mess up. The only thing that really helps me in that instance is to drive slow for a lap or 2 and gradually increase my speed, otherwise it's re-start hell.

I agree- at the same time, though, pushing that little bit harder is, at least in my understanding so far, the whole point of the expert-level events in the game, across the board. Striking the balance between top speed and minimizing the risk of a mistake.

and hey, my first-lap time on the only winning run I did here was well into the 1.25's... should I have restarted? well yeah, I usually would have, but I ended up with a 7:21 and change at the end because I kept going. I'm really just thinking out loud here, tbh.

It was the GT Academy round 4 car and isn't available to buy yet. June 25 update should have it in the Dealership then. Was the prize car for gold.

I haven't been driving expert events for awhile, but this one looks to be a classic. I always complete the race and never quit. First try, 15th in a 2J. Switched to a Pesky-Judd and finished 5th with 3 more tries. Today I tried 3 more times and came 2nd. Tomorrow I will win!

I agree- at the same time, though, pushing that little bit harder is, at least in my understanding so far, the whole point of the expert-level events in the game, across the board. Striking the balance between top speed and minimizing the risk of a mistake.

I go through a cycle where I'm very calm, drive the track at 5/10ths and usually produce a good time. Then I slowly start to push it, make mistakes, go to re-start hell, then have to slow down again to gain my calm back to produce really good times. This is, of course, only on the hardest challenges like this one.

and hey, my first-lap time on the only winning run I did here was well into the 1.25's... should I have restarted? well yeah, I usually would have, but I ended up with a 7:21 and change at the end because I kept going. I'm really just thinking out loud here, tbh.

I know, sometimes when I have a bad lap but stick with it I run some of my best overall times.

It was the GT Academy round 4 car and isn't available to buy yet. June 25 update should have it in the Dealership then. Was the prize car for gold.

I would never gold this event, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The amount of my life I would have to commit to this race in order to get gold would be literally inappropriate.

I would never gold this event, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The amount of my life I would have to commit to this race in order to get gold would be literally inappropriate.

For me getting gold has always been the easy part.

The hard part is trying to squeeze out four or five seconds so I don't embarrass the the community too much. Meanwhile the aliens are 8 or 9 seconds quicker than my best time.

:boggled:

Eh, I think the Academy rounds were made for wheel users. Being a DS3 user best I could do was a silver for R1 and R3, gold in R2 and zilch in R4 because I got lazy. It's not for lack of trying -- wheel users literally had an advantage for turn-ins and could go flat-out in some sections where the DS3 guys couldn't.

And that just sucks.

Eh, I think the Academy rounds were made for wheel users. Being a DS3 user best I could do was a silver for R1 and R3, gold in R2 and zilch in R4 because I got lazy. It's not for lack of trying -- wheel users literally had an advantage for turn-ins and could go flat-out in some sections where the DS3 guys couldn't.

And that just sucks.

100% agree.

I wonder if it was forgotten that SRF was forced on in the earlier challenge and is now an option in this race. It is very difficult, tight track, requiring very precise inputs. If frustration sets in maybe try the SRF ON setting even if you never use it.

Just try this event today, wow, the AI car just like those licker from QM. Overtook me from sharp corner ! Just like they are using Racing soft :crazy:. Seeing many using this C60, me too don't waste time but just be throttle steady while on the curb.
View attachment 395060
What's up with your photos? They all seem to have this blueish/purpleish hue to them. I just left another thread where you posted a couple photos and those had the same hue and the sky was blue/purple! I think it was a screen shot on Apricot Hill Raceway.

What's up with your photos? They all seem to have this blueish/purpleish hue to them. I just left another thread where you posted a couple photos and those had the same hue and the sky was blue/purple! I think it was a screen shot on Apricot Hill Raceway.
Yes, just a screen shot from my cheap phone. :lol:

Hey everyone, new guy on the forum here! (not new to GT tho)

Wow this was the absolute hardest race I've driven on GT6 yet! Im glad to see others found it hard aswell. I absolutely hate this track, very hard to overtake on the second half of the track, even on the straight it's a problem in the middle section there.

Anyway started off thinking it'd be easy so went with the toyota TS030 and quickly found it was seconds off the pace. Swapped to the C60 Hybrid Judd and actually made it to 5th place. But unfortunatly I had to realise I was not going to make it without adding SRF, so for the first time in a seasonal event I had to turn that on :( Gradually got better and got a couple of 2nd places, trying to perfect one corner at a time. Was doing 1:22,5-1:24 most of the time but just couldn't catch that Judd out in the front.

Finally got it though after an incredible run doing a 1:21,3 lap when I didn't have any traffic and actually overtook both the minolta and the judd in the first corner of the last lap. Actually got a 1:21,6 on my last lap, cause I was feeling pretty confident lol. 7,17 total time and damn almost gave up on this one!!

Hope to come here for some tunes and suggestions if I run into problems again in the future :)

Back