A-spec Expert Level Racing Car Challenge: Tokyo R246

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 197 comments
I tried the C60 first when doing some test-laps, but I'm not really a fan of the way it handles. Since I was bored, I bought a GT-One and used the Praiano tune, softened the spring rate just a few lbs, and raised the final gear to 3.245... currently running 1:25's and not fast enough, but hey I gave it a go. Whether or not I keep going will depend on my patience, which this track really tests. I'm not having a lot
Are you kidding me PD? What is the point of having so many tracks/layouts if you're going to run practically the same exact event as just a month ago? It's almost like whomever is in charge of assigning Seasonal Events is trying to send us a message. And that message is "I am so disillusioned with this project, I have absolutely no ability to come up with something creative and fun anymore..."

I've made this argument in the past, but I think it bears repeating...PD should be able to creatively come up with "Expert Level" Seasonal Events that aren't always just 600-700PP cars. I know that our last Expert Level A-Spec race was only 500PP, but that was an absolute joke (Big Willow). A lot of people just aren't fans of driving LMPs. Assign a random PP limit, like 568 - so then creative tuning might really come in handy. Give us a race that is only 450PP but is actually challenging. Give us a 500-550PP race that might require pit stops. It's the same old tired formula again and again. And for some absolutely insane reason I keep doing them.

try this tune http://praianogt6tunes.blogspot.com.br/2014/01/pescarolo-c60-hybride-judd-car-05.html.
my best lap time with this tune is 1.21.903.
after 5 laps, my time was 7.19.135
skid recovery force: on
traction control: 3

Hey everyone, new guy on the forum here! (not new to GT tho)

Wow this was the absolute hardest race I've driven on GT6 yet! Im glad to see others found it hard aswell. I absolutely hate this track, very hard to overtake on the second half of the track, even on the straight it's a problem in the middle section there.

Anyway started off thinking it'd be easy so went with the toyota TS030 and quickly found it was seconds off the pace. Swapped to the C60 Hybrid Judd and actually made it to 5th place. But unfortunatly I had to realise I was not going to make it without adding SRF, so for the first time in a seasonal event I had to turn that on :( Gradually got better and got a couple of 2nd places, trying to perfect one corner at a time. Was doing 1:22,5-1:24 most of the time but just couldn't catch that Judd out in the front.

Finally got it though after an incredible run doing a 1:21,3 lap when I didn't have any traffic and actually overtook both the minolta and the judd in the first corner of the last lap. Actually got a 1:21,6 on my last lap, cause I was feeling pretty confident lol. 7,17 total time and damn almost gave up on this one!!

Hope to come here for some tunes and suggestions if I run into problems again in the future :)

Finally got it though after an incredible run doing a 1:21,3 lap when I didn't have any traffic and actually overtook both the minolta and the judd in the first corner of the last lap. Actually got a 1:21,6 on my last lap, cause I was feeling pretty confident lol. 7,17 total time and damn almost gave up on this one!!:)

1:21 laps and 7:17 overall time is smokin', great job man.

Hi guys.
Just finish this race, with oooMaXimumoo setup, drive train 5/7/7. French car and french driver, the dream team !...
I made so attempts that I need to come back stands and change oil ( 5 pp missing) and restore rigidity.
So, yesterday, 1' 28" and 4th. Today 1'21"/1/22" 1st place and final time 7'17"

This was a cool event 👍 took a few races to get the feel in the 2J fully maxed but got there in the end and was nerve wracking passing the minolta on the last bend of lap 5 ;) Great challenge :cheers:

FINALLY won this after something like 30 tries with the C60 Hybride. I really started to like the car/track combination though. LMP cars CAN be driven very well here, just like you can hold a Formula 1 race in Monte Carlo.

Went back for more and got my best race so far and no wall contacts but 2 small rubs with the AI in cornering... my goal is faster than my best save and 100% clean, decent credits racking up also 👍 A clean sub 7'15 is doable in this car.... but probably not by me :P

IMG_0836.JPG

Addictive for sure :cheers:

I think the forward layout of this track is more difficult than the reverse. The understeery descents on the backstretch before the final hairpin and gauging the braking point on the long straight makes the forward layout more difficult for me. There's also a twisty section about halfway through that seems more difficult to pass through at speed on the forward version.

with the Hybride tune it's relative "easy race" if you do clean laps. but on stock setup is really hard (i wouldn't make it, but did the previous one (reverse)). you just need to practice and get the feel to the track and car (and thats the most fun part).

You are correct, I use a DS3/Auto, SRF and usually TC1. As I learn each car/track combo I switch back and forth between SRF on and off, but usually use TC1 or sometimes TC2 depending on the car. But the non use of this car still baffles me, as it's not any harder to drive with SRF off than the other cars IMO. It must be my driving style.

I have found that SRF has only a very minor effect on some cars while having a more significant effect on others. In fact I'm equal to, if not faster, without SRF on certain cars I've tested. SRF effects the 'swingability' of the car (sort of limiting the car's 'freedom' to a point - and if one can handle this freedom to good effect it pays off in a better (and quite often more fun) run.
IMO - there is no harm in using SRF (if one is having difficulties with the race) to learn the track and car. It can be a good tutor.
Get the Gold and the credits with whatever assists on if necessary, then go back and try reducing them one by one for more complex runs.
I have also found generally - though this is still in the process of being thoroughly tested - that the settings also affect the AI behaviour - in effect; their behaviour complements one's settings.

One thing that really helped on this one was a change in how I approached the event after having an off, or missing an apex. Usually I would just keep restarting and restarting until I got a clean run, but that just led to lots and lots of frustration- and subsequently, slower and slower times. But, on this event, I decided to just stick with it almost every time something negative happened on the track; I completed the event most of the times I started it, instead of just restarting constantly. That changed everything for me....I ended up practicing ALL of the corners instead of just the first few, as happened in the past. I plan on taking the same approach to places like the Nordschliefe etc in the future.

Great post and well put. I'm sure this echoes the thoughts of many. Restarting every time one has a wipe-out leads to two things (among many other negatives):

1: You never learn how to get out of trouble fast. This is an important skill and must be developed if you are to be a good racer.
2: You never learn the track or the competition thoroughly.

Also every time you restart (not to be confused with retry) your car has retained damage and deterioration - so you're worse off.

For me getting gold has always been the easy part.

The hard part is trying to squeeze out four or five seconds so I don't embarrass the the community too much. Meanwhile the aliens are 8 or 9 seconds quicker than my best time.

:boggled:

I'm not sure everyone is bothered with what 'aliens' do - I'm not. ;) You can show us the lowest possible time that won the race and some of us would be really more interested in that than the fastest possible time.
My own intent is to enjoy to the fullest driving hundreds of cars on dozens of tracks - as to driving them the fastest in the whole world all the time is . . .*yawn . . . pretty blurry world. :lol:

Eh, I think the Academy rounds were made for wheel users. Being a DS3 user best I could do was a silver for R1 and R3, gold in R2 and zilch in R4 because I got lazy. It's not for lack of trying -- wheel users literally had an advantage for turn-ins and could go flat-out in some sections where the DS3 guys couldn't.

And that just sucks.

I drive with a wheel - and speaking for myself I can tell you that my wheel times (yes, the pedals help, too :sly: ) are 100X faster than my DS3 times. ASM is a specific aid for DS3 users - do you not use it?

Hey everyone, new guy on the forum here! (not new to GT tho)

Hope to come here for some tunes and suggestions if I run into problems again in the future :)

Welcome to GTPlanet, Mr Nemo - glad you found us! :cheers:

Have a look here, too, for more on the community:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/introduce-yourself.223/

I'm slowly learning the track and also the C60 Hybride thing.

The 'Hybride Thing' is really getting to me, too - this event is becoming addictive.
:lol: :cheers:

Without quoting myself, let me repeat (from a post addressed to MTM79 in the AI Hub):

I really like the three A-Spec Seasonals we have going now; you're right - they're tougher, but they're tougher in a different way.
Remember we discussed the phenomenon of how they are handicapped, and from what I see now, the handicaps are being shuffled in a way that makes it harder for us to get to the front as fast as we used to.
Now you must also be familiar with the pattern of 'window of opportunity' that happens in the races - when we keep repeating the same race for instance we can see that we meet up with particular cars in a particular spot, so that if we keep repeating the race, then we know to expect that car there, and we can plan our overtake.

If we do the same race several times, then overtaking that particular car becomes easy, we do it faster, and we go on to tackle the next car; for instance in the Expert Challenge, we might overtake the Pesky C60 at the 3rd corner and the Deltawing at the 6th corner and then the 787B and Speed 8 together at the 9th corner and so on till we, say, reach #1,2#, and #3 just crossing the Finish line 5 seconds ahead of us.
So we go back and trim off 5 seconds, but then all the overtakes are now a little closer than the spot we overtook before when we were 5 seconds short.
If we trim 10 seconds off our time - now all the overtakes are in different spots - and may be spots difficult to overtake or where we come into contact with the AI and take a tumble.
In a sense 'timing' is crucial. Too fast and you get bogged down with traffic in spots that will slow you down. Too slow and the traffic gets too far ahead to catch up.

So when we time the clean overtakes perfectly (in some spots the AI actually move over to give you a clean and thrilling pass) as if pretending for a moment that it is a driving simulator running a racer-training program that we are using ;) - then suddenly we tumble into that perfect race in which the whole thing is a graceful dance around the AI and the course; not too fast to be unrealistic, not too slow to be less than average, a race where every driver performed the optimum.

I have become so addicted to the Expert this time - just doing it over and over in a Pesky Hybride with a stock tranny and a most outstanding suspension tune which I acquired recently - coming 3rd, 4th, or sometimes 5th but enjoying every race.
And getting closer to timing those overtakes right so I can get those lead rabbits where I'm supposed to get them - racing me to the finish line after I take them at the last corner.

I drive with a wheel - and speaking for myself I can tell you that my wheel times (yes, the pedals help, too :sly: ) are 100X faster than my DS3 times. ASM is a specific aid for DS3 users - do you not use it?

The times I've used it, it's only ever slowed me down, so no. Can't say I use it.

As far as I know, the only aids that can make you faster are AC and SRF. The rest is for stability and generally slow you down if set too high.

The times I've used it, it's only ever slowed me down, so no. Can't say I use it.

As far as I know, the only aids that can make you faster are AC and SRF. The rest is for stability and generally slow you down if set too high.

ASM on a DS3 makes most cars feel like they're running thru molasses in the corners.

What can occasionally help, though, is active steering- since we DS3 users do not have any force-feedback on the stick (lol), it's much harder to gauge exactly when the car is about to lose it's rear end. Active steering helps to even the playing field in this regard, sometimes. I've only used it successfully on one event, ever- this one.

Last edited:

I think you mean AS ?
I have never used AS or ASM. AFAIK AS automatically corrects steering when the car oversteers and the rear slips out, while ASM prevents the car from spinning out. It was CSS I was referring to (my mistaking it as ASM) Controller Steering Sensitivity that directly affects the input of the DS3 and may be helpful to DS3 users.
I think the majority of gamers here use a DS3, and must be given a lot of latitude because of that. While there are gamers that can do phenomenally well with a DS3 a wheel generally aids in getting a better driving experience as well as a better time. CSS helps to even those odds.
I have never used SRF previously (never used it in GT5) but since starting off the 'Rabbit Project' have started to test it out. While I haven't come to any verifiable conclusions yet, I can say that it does help to stabilise the car, though maybe giving up on other benefits that may be there when running with SRF disabled.

ASM on a DS3 makes most cars feel like they're running thru molasses in the corners.

I think ASM also impacts on CSS, though I'm not 100% sure of this. So it will seem like being stuck in molasses. :lol: Maybe CSS tweaked with ASM off (or set to 'Mild') may be a good combination.
In the end - there is no 'perfect' setting that everyone must use (control freaks may disagree) as long as you are enjoying playing a video game.
When it comes to pure competition - there are plenty of challenges presented throughout the Forums - from running bone-stock (that's right - don't touch that B/B :sly: ) to all out no-holds-barred contests.

Yup. To each their own. ;) :cheers:

Anyone think this is possible in the Peugeot 908? I don't have the C60 and I'd rather not use the Mazda VGT unless I have to.

I think ASM also impacts on CSS, though I'm not 100% sure of this. So it will seem like being stuck in molasses. :lol: Maybe CSS tweaked with ASM off (or set to 'Mild') may be a good combination.
In the end - there is no 'perfect' setting that everyone must use (control freaks may disagree) as long as you are enjoying playing a video game.

Totally agree. I recently posed a question about steering sensitivity in the General section. The range of settings people use across the board is amazing... imho, steering sensitivity is the second most-important setting available to DS3 users. I keep it pegged on 7 all the time, and my lap times have improved a ton. But some people keep it lower and compensate with earlier control inputs and other aids.

In some cases, like this event for example, it's really nice to have a pocket-full of aids to turn on that you don't otherwise use- I shaved over a second per lap off with SRF, and it only took one attempt after I turned it on to get gold. IT was the same scenario last night with the Red Bull X2010 at Goodwood...turn on SRF, give it a few attempts, and it was done and dusted. Aids don't make drivers better drivers, they just allow you to push a tiny bit harder occasionally.

And yes, the X2010 on sensitivity (7) is a bear of a car to drive. lol.

I have found that SRF has only a very minor effect on some cars while having a more significant effect on others. In fact I'm equal to, if not faster, without SRF on certain cars I've tested.

I find this myself. I'm not so good at driving uber fast cars with my DS3, so with those races I usually start with SRF on. However, with the slower cars I start with SRF off, and usually don't miss it. I think it's all in what I get used to. Remember that F40 challenge with SRF off? I hated that challenge for the longest time, but after I got used to it I could not move my non-SRF F40 around as well. I got used to Hell and actually liked the heat after a while, so to speak.

I have also found generally - though this is still in the process of being thoroughly tested - that the settings also affect the AI behaviour - in effect; their behaviour complements one's settings.

I have heard this, but don't really notice it. What I notice is that certain cars don't seem to like other cars, like they were competitors back in the day, and have a score to settle. With the previous Tokyo R246 I had all kinds of trouble with the Toyota 7, but rarely any of the other cars. I have noticed this before, but maybe I'm the only one.

Yes, I meant AS. Silly me.

:) Not at all. There's so many acronyms being thrown around it makes my head spin.

I got used to Hell and actually liked the heat after a while, so to speak.

Can identify with that. :lol:

I have heard this, but don't really notice it.

It is more or less reflected in the final times the rabbits come up with when different settings are used - as well as their agression levels. One has to spend a lot of time following rabbits around to find a pattern.

What I notice is that certain cars don't seem to like other cars, like they were competitors back in the day, and have a score to settle. With the previous Tokyo R246 I had all kinds of trouble with the Toyota 7, but rarely any of the other cars. I have noticed this before, but maybe I'm the only one.

Yes, yes, and yes - that kind of behaviour is getting more noticeable now. In fact there are 2 drivers who particularly don't like me - they'll follow me all the way from the back to the front dogging my ass and trying to take me out.
Don't know if it's personal.
Hope not. :dopey:

There are people out there that actually use the word 'lazy' on PD because they gave us Forward right after Reverse.
It's like one just flips the code around and there you are.
It's not like a whole new track, and a completely different handicap arrangement to work out.

The fact that they are under no obligation to give us these Events week after week, that we get them for free, that we can take 'em or leave 'em - these are all brushed under the carpet of 'gratify-me-or-else-I-cry.
PD could crawl back under their desks and get a few more hours sleep, or maybe even rove the internet with the newest form of techno-beggary - crowdfunding, but no, they work to give us these Events week after week. For free. No strings attached. Not that I can see attached to one's purse.

Not every event, every week, is going to satisfy every taste - so it's understandable when some weeks some get disappointed, and in other weeks others do - but all in all, I'd rather have something fresh to work on than nothing at all.

There are people out there that actually use the word 'lazy' on PD because they gave us Forward right after Reverse.
It's like one just flips the code around and there you are.
It's not like a whole new track, and a completely different handicap arrangement to work out.

The fact that they are under no obligation to give us these Events week after week, that we get them for free, that we can take 'em or leave 'em - these are all brushed under the carpet of 'gratify-me-or-else-I-cry.
PD could crawl back under their desks and get a few more hours sleep, or maybe even rove the internet with the newest form of techno-beggary - crowdfunding, but no, they work to give us these Events week after week. For free. No strings attached. Not that I can see attached to one's purse.

Not every event, every week, is going to satisfy every taste - so it's understandable when some weeks some get disappointed, and in other weeks others do - but all in all, I'd rather have something fresh to work on than nothing at all.
Yes, I'm happy to have something to work on every week. I'll give you that.

I'd even be willing to pay for additional content.

But we still don't have the game we prepaid for in September 2013. Yes, some of us deserve to be a little prickly about that. If you're confused, check their Amazon promo language to see what's missing.

PD HAS to string us along with these lame seasonals while they gear up for GT7 on the PS4. If they don't, they know they will completely lose whatever base hasn't already jumped ship for AC or PCars.

The guy who sweeps the floor at the end of the night is in charge of new seasonals, and stock suspension settings since 1.09.

The rest are futilely trying to create a game that will entice us to buy a PS4 and new wheel/pedals.

Yes, I'm happy to have something to work on every week. I'll give you that.-

Good man. I relish your enjoyment.

I'd even be willing to pay for additional content.

Most of us would; even those without money to burn. In fact the cost of the original disc was the cost of a case of beer and a box of pizza - gone in a few hours.

But we still don't have the game we prepaid for in September 2013.

I did. Caveat Emptor.

Yes, some of us deserve to be a little prickly about that. If you're confused, check their Amazon promo language to see what's missing.
Not sure what you're talking about here, Jbaffoh; maybe I am confused. :)

PD HAS to string us along with these lame seasonals while they gear up for GT7 on the PS4. If they don't, they know they will completely lose whatever base hasn't already jumped ship for AC or PCars.

The guy who sweeps the floor at the end of the night is in charge of new seasonals, and stock suspension settings since 1.09.

The rest are futilely trying to create a game that will entice us to buy a PS4 and new wheel/pedals.

You are free to have all the above opinions, Jbaffoh, but that's all they are - opinions. I wouldn't take any of the concepts outlined in the sentences above as facts nor have I come across any evidence whatsoever to support such concepts as facts.

Or to put it another way - reality. You're familiar with that, right? ;)

Back