A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 976 comments
If they release another CGI trailer tomorrow I'm going to be disappointed, I just wonder if this game will be the answer to Forza Horizon for people who aren't in the Xbox Ecosystem.

Kylotonns teaser - Who will fill those empty seats tomorrow?
53C679AB-DFF9-43DC-8C64-B06B77D95FCC.jpeg

If they release another CGI trailer tomorrow I'm going to be disappointed, I just wonder if this game will be the answer to Forza Horizon for people who aren't in the Xbox Ecosystem.
Be interested to see if it can fill that void. The Crew tried to do that and failed (in my humble opinion) so I'm rooting for TDU even as a fan of Horizon.

Be interested to see if it can fill that void. The Crew tried to do that and failed (in my humble opinion) so I'm rooting for TDU even as a fan of Horizon.
I think the first The Crew was more of an evolution of the vision the devs had for TDU than a shot at FH. Meanwhile, TC2 definitely veered into FH-wannabe territory. I still greatly appreciate how it offers such a unique flying experience, being more carefree and offering more barnstorming-like opportunities than a typical flight sim (with more ground detail) and not being yet another flight combat game, but overall it was a disappointment, and the FH-wannabe schtick didn't help.

Another cheesy drama like the first game would have been an improvement. More context than, "get famous! By the way, so-and-so doesn't like you getting famous." Not to mention how it means there is nothing of value to say, but the characters will not shut up anyway. 🙄

I tuned in just in time to catch the trailer. It may have been pre-rendered but I am hype. Reaaallly wished for even just 5 seconds of gameplay but oh well, at least the location is confirmed and there's an idea on the general mood of the game.

I expected a CGI trailer tbh, especially for a game not releasing for the next 12 months. I'm happy we got a release date and location reveal, plenty of time to reveal more details later down the line.

Last edited:
Did someone hit the snooze button? Oh wait, just another CGI trailer.

Hong Kong seems like a great choice though. The only concern I might have that it’s going to be another Eurojank. Prove me wrong, KT!

I'm still not exactly that impressed. Nor do I think this is the Horizon killer people think that it can be, especially since this is coming from, for all intents and purposes, a small fry publishing house and a developer that has been insulated by making a licensed product (albeit a very good one) for years.

Also, releasing a cross gen game in 2022, and on Switch as well? Yeah...warning bells are ringing off in my head.

Also, releasing a cross gen game in 2022, and on Switch as well? Yeah...warning bells are ringing off in my head.
This^

Also September 22 is a long while away, wish games weren't announced so damn early these days. I was hoping for an April-May release so the game wouldn't have to deal with the titans releasing late next year. Also 2022 will be the last year 8th gen consoles will be relevant.

Hong Kong is certainly an interesting location choice. Hopefully the gameplay will be good enough to give a genuine alternative to Forza Horizon.

Not at all.
Massive games set to release this fall like Halo Infinite, Far Cry 6, Horizon Forbidden West, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Psychonauts 2, Battlefield 2042, Forza Horizon 5, and Dying Light 2 are all going to be hitting the new consoles, as well as their respective last-gen counterparts. And while seeing ample cross-gen games in the first year of a new console isn’t anything new, this trend doesn’t just pertain to games in the near future.

2022 titles like FromSoftware’s Elden Ring, God of War 2, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy, and Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin are all set for similar cross-gen releases.
But lo and behold, in just a few short weeks, I feel like I drastically underestimated the amount of time it would take before this generational transition is complete. At the beginning of June, Hermen Hulst, the head of PlayStation Studios, said, “Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.” This, coupled with the aforementioned announcements at E3 2021, proved that this cross-generational approach is here for the long haul.

Shame there was no actual game play, but given it's still well over a year away that's not a big surprise.

Dissapointed in the map size, Hong Kong island isn't huge, I'm sure they can make it a great map and very detailed, but one of the things that I was hoping would set it apart from Horizon was having a big map that you could drive around for a while without going over the same roads over again.

Shame there was no actual game play, but given it's still well over a year away that's not a big surprise.

Dissapointed in the map size, Hong Kong island isn't huge, I'm sure they can make it a great map and very detailed, but one of the things that I was hoping would set it apart from Horizon was having a big map that you could drive around for a while without going over the same roads over again.
Hong Kong is 10 times bigger than the Forza Horizon 4 map. I think it'll be totally fine.

edit: You said island, but the trailer seems to show all of Hong Kong, unless I'm mistaken.

edit 2: Rewatched...the end of the trailer does seem to indicate it being only Hong Kong Island. Hmmm.

Last edited:
You said island, but the trailer seems to show all of Hong Kong, unless I'm mistaken.
You are. It showed only the island (the Hong Kong side of Kowloon Bay), and the section with the chap doing a Minority Report with a map only showed roads on the island - with none of the tunnels that cross to Kowloon side.

Also the social media exclusively refers to HK island.

Hong Kong is 10 times bigger than the Forza Horizon 4 map. I think it'll be totally fine.

edit: You said island, but the trailer seems to show all of Hong Kong, unless I'm mistaken.

edit 2: Rewatched...the end of the trailer does seem to indicate it being only Hong Kong Island. Hmmm.
Yeah everything (almost) seems to suggest it's Hong Kong Island only, particularly official trailer information and they said it's Hong Kong Island on Twitter too.

One thing I can't find though is the container terminal it showed, that looked far bigger than anytihng I can find on the island. But it could simply be that it doesn't 100% reflect a place on the island, it was a CGI trailer afterall or there could be a specific race there that's seperate from driving around the island.

I did wonder if the driving in the tunnels and that container terminal were an indicator it would include part of the mainland, but everything else heavily points to that not being the case. The tunnels afterall don't have to have been tunnels that connect the island to mainlad there are others, it was just the container terminal that threw me, but I think it's pretty clear it will just be the island.

Last edited:
Wow, rings, gold nail polish, and bracelets! Just the killer features I always wanted in a driving game, LOL.

Kidding aside, customization is customization; it's just a rather silly and tacky point of focus for this CGI trailer. Showcasing disembodied bedazzled hands in a concert crowd is weird.

Not at all.
It could go on for years and it wouldn't faze me; not because I have a gaming PC now, but because Playstations and Xboxes are closed-box gaming PCs now. It does not surprise me at all that developers are treating them like PCs, especially given the PS4's install base.

Yeah everything (almost) seems to suggest it's Hong Kong Island only, particularly official trailer information and they said it's Hong Kong Island on Twitter too.

One thing I can't find though is the container terminal it showed, that looked far bigger than anytihng I can find on the island. But it could simply be that it doesn't 100% reflect a place on the island, it was a CGI trailer afterall or there could be a specific race there that's seperate from driving around the island.

I did wonder if the driving in the tunnels and that container terminal were an indicator it would include part of the mainland, but everything else heavily points to that not being the case. The tunnels afterall don't have to have been tunnels that connect the island to mainlad there are others, it was just the container terminal that threw me, but I think it's pretty clear it will just be the island.
Unless this is the first of a series of trailers for specific locations within the game? Probably unlikely, but at least somewhat plausible.

I liked the trailer but can the game match the trailer? It kind of gives me some Midnight Club vibes and to be honest I don't why they feel the need to create a story around a racing game. I guess some people like that stuff but all I want to do is race. Anyway have to wait see how it turns out

Back