Ability to force everyone to use cockpit view online (lobby settings)

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 68 comments
I'm onboard with this, I drive cockpit cam exclusively and I know from experimenting that some of the people I race against have a distinct advantage in other views.

However the setting if turned on would have to have a filter option. If you could search for cockpit only lobbies that would be just awesome!

I don't see how forcing people to use a view they don't like and aren't used to is leveling the playing field. And I'm not sure why anyone would care unless they're blaming losses on other people using a different view which is just silly.

Are you really trying to claim someone using bumper or roof camera doesn't have a huge advantage over someone that's using cockpit?

This would especially be useful for league racing where the drivers are serious about actually simulating racing instead of playing a racing simulator in an unrealistic way. There's no way to know who's trying to get an advantage on everyone else, so the ability to force it would be great.

Even NFS Shift 2 had this option, so does rfactor, and iracing doesn't have any other car views. The racing on iracing is much more competitive and clean for a reason. It's because all the regulations are set. Permanent damage, safety ratings, identical cars (within each class), same tires, and everyone has to use cockpit view.

GT6 offers most of these regulations EXCEPT cockpit view. We just want the option.

I'd think the racing in iRacing would be much more competitive and clean because it is an online-only game that requires a monthly subscription to use; meaning there is little benefit to driving like a moron and getting thrown out of rooms.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the safety rating system which punishes drivers for not driving clean, not the cost of the subscription.

I'd think the racing in iRacing would be much more competitive and clean because it is an online-only game that requires a monthly subscription to use; meaning there is little benefit to driving like a moron and getting thrown out of rooms.

No. The racing is clean because of the safety system and the mechanical damage.

At the end of every season, they do a series of races that don't count towards your safety rating, and the racing is as dirty if not worse than GT6 online.

No. The racing is clean because of the safety system and the mechanical damage.

At the end of every season, they do a series of races that don't count towards your safety rating, and the racing is as dirty if not worse than GT6 online.

Edit: thought you were quoting me, disregard.

I agree completely with this suggestion, but only if there is a filter system so that people can search for rooms with cockpit view or without it forced according to their preference.

Cockpit view is much more immersive and satisfying and requires that you learn the track more thoroughly. I am sure that it would be used much more if we had this option and many of the players who use other views would realise what they are missing in terms of immersion etc.

For races that I host I would let people choose whatever view they want because most of my friends don't use cockpit view, but when looking for a race room I would like to be able to find cockpit only rooms. Cockpit view is definitely slower, but more enjoyable.

Make it an option for a room, but don't ram it down everybody's throats.

I'm simply asking for it to be added as an option on the lobby settings.

I agree completely with this suggestion, but only if there is a filter system so that people can search for rooms with cockpit view or without it forced according to their preference.

Cockpit view is much more immersive and satisfying and requires that you learn the track more thoroughly. I am sure that it would be used much more if we had this option and many of the players who use other views would realise what they are missing in terms of immersion etc.

For races that I host I would let people choose whatever view they want because most of my friends don't use cockpit view, but when looking for a race room I would like to be able to find cockpit only rooms. Cockpit view is definitely slower, but more enjoyable.

Completely agreed. I honestly don't even enjoy racing without it. I dislike any racing game that doesn't have it, even if it's an arcade racing game. I tried Grid 2 because it was free and lost interest almost immediately because of the lack of cockpit view. Well, that and the crappy physics. I actually bogarted the PC version and got the cockpit view mod, but still didn't enjoy it. The physics suck in that game.

Cockpit view isn't reality at all. You have much better vision in reality than the games cockpit view. The ability to move your head and use all of your senses make all the difference. When you can give me a helmet that simulates all of those things then we'll see.

It's still the most realistic option by far. The car your driving has an effect on visibility in real life. The only way to simulate that is with cockpit view. Bumper cam and roof camera are completely unrealistic. Not only do they give you too much visibility but they don't simulate the differences between cars. And chase camera is laughable.

Not to mention, cockpit view is the only immersive experience. The bumper view you could forget what car you're driving because you don't even see the car at all. That's not realistic at all.

It's still the most realistic option by far.
My problem with this idea, that is good in theory, is that cockpit view is not like a real cockpit view. So much so that using third person view is as good as cockpit when it comes to realism.

The car your driving has an effect on visibility in real life.
Yes, but I'm sure you can at least see you mirrors, which is hard to do in some GT cars. If you don't have head tracking, looking around is a pain and unnatural. You also have no peripheral vision. It's much easier to keep track of what is around you in reality than in GT's cockpit. So much so that I use third person to replicate what it's like driving inside the car.

The only way to simulate that is with cockpit view. Bumper cam and roof camera are completely unrealistic. Not only do they give you too much visibility but they don't simulate the differences between cars. And chase camera is laughable.
Bumper view is basically cockpit view. I find it looks ridiculous, but it's actually accurate. I prefer chase for realistic awareness as I've said.

Not to mention, cockpit view is the only immersive experience. The bumper view you could forget what car you're driving because you don't even see the car at all. That's not realistic at all.
Good cockpit view is immersive. Bad ones aren't.

We don't need to debate which view is best - we just want the option for hosts to be able to select cockpit view and for players to be able to filter rooms so that they can select a cockpit view room if they want. No one will be forced to use it - many wont want to. But for those who like using cockpit view - which everyone knows is slower than bumper or bonnet - it would be nice to know that all the other people in the room are using the same view and therefore don't have an advantage.

Not that this is bad feature, but not everyone with a wheel uses the cockpit view...

If they don't use cockpit view they simply wouldn't select a room with that setting.

We just want to be able to filter rooms for that setting. I wouldn't just frequent those rooms, but it would be nice sometimes to be able to go to a room where you know everyone in that room is using the cockpit view and therefore you are all on a level playing field.

Back