Ability to force everyone to use cockpit view online (lobby settings)

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 68 comments
You can exactly compare driver aids with camera views.
TCS slows the car down and a good driver is quicker without it. However some novice drivers rely on it to not spin their cars. Therefore they pick rooms with it allowed and serious drivers probably those rooms.
The cockpick view would be similar. Driving from the cockpit view is slower. Either because of the lack of visibility or just that it's less familiar and people drive slower. Whatever the reason, there is a disadvantage to use cockpit view and it's a good idea to allow for rooms with just that view.
The tyre restriction is another example where people like to impose a restriction to make the game harder or easier and people select rooms accordingly.
And I can see why an options for gears would be good. When i used to use automatic gears racing people with manual gears was never fair.

People restrict or dictate if you like, options for tyres, TCS etc already. Options for views and gears would be good. You can always leave the option to 'allow all'.

FS7
I could never understand why there isn't an option to ban automatic gears. I mean, I can ban every other aid but not automatic gears? Doesn't make any sense.

Personally, I was thinking the other way around. Banning manual gears so that everyone is in a slow automatic. This wouldn't be a popular option I understand, but it would be somewhere for novice drivers to race together.

Personally, I was thinking the other way around. Banning manual gears so that everyone is in a slow automatic. This wouldn't be a popular option I understand, but it would be somewhere for novice drivers to race together.
Best way would be to have 3 options:

Transmission type:
-any
-manual only
-automatic only

In that way everybody gets what they want.

This should be in gt sport! It would be great to use cockpit-view knowing that it's same for everyone in that lobby. We need more variety to lobbys.

You can exactly compare driver aids with camera views.
TCS slows the car down and a good driver is quicker without it. However some novice drivers rely on it to not spin their cars. Therefore they pick rooms with it allowed and serious drivers probably those rooms.
The cockpick view would be similar. Driving from the cockpit view is slower. Either because of the lack of visibility or just that it's less familiar and people drive slower. Whatever the reason, there is a disadvantage to use cockpit view and it's a good idea to allow for rooms with just that view.
The tyre restriction is another example where people like to impose a restriction to make the game harder or easier and people select rooms accordingly.
And I can see why an options for gears would be good. When i used to use automatic gears racing people with manual gears was never fair.

People restrict or dictate if you like, options for tyres, TCS etc already. Options for views and gears would be good. You can always leave the option to 'allow all'.

I actually am not entirely sure cockpit is slower. I feel like it's just a lot tougher to learn a track though because of the visibility but once you got the track really memorized, I don't think it makes you any slower. At least in my experience. I could be wrong but typically once I learn a track, switching to hood camera won't really make me faster, and both bumper and chase camera make me significantly slower. Chase camera is a much bigger disadvantage than cockpit in my opinion, and it's also so laughably unrealistic. It's far worse to not have a firm idea of your cars direction and placement than have less peripheral visibility in my opinion.

The thing that drives me insane though is seeing people drive with a steering wheel from chase cam. It's mind boggling anyone that takes GT seriously enough to buy a wheel but not seriously enough to NOT use the most ridiculously unrealistic view in the game. It's not a fairness issue though so it's not a problem it's just so hard to understand that it annoys me :lol:

Cockpit view is a huge factor with the prototypes though. It's a huge disadvantage there because that slight difficulty learning a track from cockpit is multiplied exponentially in a prototype.

I actually am not entirely sure cockpit is slower. I feel like it's just a lot tougher to learn a track though because of the visibility but once you got the track really memorized, I don't think it makes you any slower. At least in my experience. I could be wrong but typically once I learn a track, switching to hood camera won't really make me faster, and both bumper and chase camera make me significantly slower. Chase camera is a much bigger disadvantage than cockpit in my opinion, and it's also so laughably unrealistic. It's far worse to not have a firm idea of your cars direction and placement than have less peripheral visibility in my opinion.

The thing that drives me insane though is seeing people drive with a steering wheel from chase cam. It's mind boggling anyone that takes GT seriously enough to buy a wheel but not seriously enough to NOT use the most ridiculously unrealistic view in the game. It's not a fairness issue though so it's not a problem it's just so hard to understand that it annoys me :lol:

Cockpit view is a huge factor with the prototypes though. It's a huge disadvantage there because that slight difficulty learning a track from cockpit is multiplied exponentially in a prototype.
I only race with in car view also the only problem I have is seeing out the side windows and some cars you can't see behind you.

I only race with in car view also the only problem I have is seeing out the side windows and some cars you can't see behind you.
That's true. I don't know that you want to too much though. When I'm worried about the radar I often start doing worse. I try to know they're there but my main battle should be against the clock. Otherwise my lap times will slip and I'll lose.

I do wish VR was an option. It also makes me laugh how GT Sport forces you to use cockpit view in VR mode. They lock an offline side mode to cockpit but not the serious online racing series to the most realistic option. Maybe it's for performance reasons instead of realism. They're obviously struggling with performance if they can only have 1 AI on track. Sad because Sport Mode plus VR = Life over

Cockpit view isn't reality at all. You have much better vision in reality than the games cockpit view. The ability to move your head and use all of your senses make all the difference. When you can give me a helmet that simulates all of those things then we'll see.
It's still the most realistic option by far. The car your driving has an effect on visibility in real life. The only way to simulate that is with cockpit view. Bumper cam and roof camera are completely unrealistic. Not only do they give you too much visibility but they don't simulate the differences between cars. And chase camera is laughable.

Not to mention, cockpit view is the only immersive experience. The bumper view you could forget what car you're driving because you don't even see the car at all. That's not realistic at all.

Anyone who feels that Rudenut is incorrect in his assertion that cockpit view is nowhere near reality is, frankly, not worth discussing this topic with seriously. A very simple experiment with a compass-like instrument has shown that the positioning of my closest 'A' pillar in my Mitsubishi Lancer is around ten degrees outside the field of vision offered by my TV on which I play GT. In other words, I shouldn't be able to see it at all on my telly, just as I can't when in bumper view.

In addition to this, I am fortunate enough to be equipped with binocular vision. If I am having to look past my 'A' pillar for any reason, one eye looks past it from one side, the other eye looks past it from the other side, and its impact on that view is considerably reduced. In cockpit view this is not the case, it just sits there, blocking the view, very unrealistically. It's also fully in focus, which is weird, because when I'm driving my car I'm not focussing my eyes on a point two feet away.. Unless I'm looking at my instruments, which do appear in a similar orientation to how they are in 'bumper' view.

That leads me on to the question of where 'bumper' view is actually set to view from. It is certainly not the bumper. On some cars I can see clear over the top of others I'm racing against, in others it is almost as if I'm sitting right on the floor. Similarly, in some cars I can make contact with the car in front from some feet back, and yet with others I get right up close to it before contact occurs. It's almost as if 'bumper' view is somewhere close to where the driver sits. Amazing!

Finally, I can't help but address the matter of the final two sentences in Tom's entry. You really can't sense the differences in various cars through their handling characteristics and sounds Tom? Not to mention the fact that it will be the car you specifically chose to be driving. I honestly do not find myself driving along in a car, having to look around myself for reassurance as to what make and model it is, I simply get on with driving it, enjoying the clear panorama ahead, as I do in GT.

Having said all that, I will sign off with this...
But for those who like using cockpit view - which everyone knows is slower than bumper or bonnet - it would be nice to know that all the other people in the room are using the same view and therefore don't have an advantage.
This is the reason I don't join Sick's PCars racing room. I don't care that it's slower, I dislike it because of its lack of realism. I use zero ABS in GT6, and I know that this puts me at a serious disadvantage on some tracks. In the Nations Cup I have never raced against anyone else on zero ABS, and more than half the field use traction control, which I don't use. But I make these choices because I enjoy the challenge, not because I insist that something that cannot be argued is 'more realistic' is anywhere near realistic. I'm perfectly happy to race at the level these restrictions hold me to, but that's not to say that I want to impose them on everyone. I allow people to use driving line assist in my lobbies, and am frequently beaten by folks using it. Good luck to them, I just get on with enjoying the racing. Not everyone can be the fastest one out there.

Speaking of which, do the organisers insist on cockpit view in the World Championship they are running currently? Surely, if it is truly the only realistic option then it is a must.

Cheers, Zo.

Back