Ability to force everyone to use cockpit view online (lobby settings)

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 68 comments
My problem with this idea, that is good in theory, is that cockpit view is not like a real cockpit view. So much so that using third person view is as good as cockpit when it comes to realism.

Yes, but I'm sure you can at least see you mirrors, which is hard to do in some GT cars. If you don't have head tracking, looking around is a pain and unnatural. You also have no peripheral vision. It's much easier to keep track of what is around you in reality than in GT's cockpit. So much so that I use third person to replicate what it's like driving inside the car.

Bumper view is basically cockpit view. I find it looks ridiculous, but it's actually accurate. I prefer chase for realistic awareness as I've said.

Good cockpit view is immersive. Bad ones aren't.

Wow. So you think chase cam is equally as realistic as cockpit view? I'm sorry dude but that is one of the most laughable things I've heard.

Wow. So you think chase cam is equally as realistic as cockpit view? I'm sorry dude but that is one of the most laughable things I've heard.
Yes and I still do. Your post is one of the most typical responses I've heard.

Yes and I still do. Your post is one of the most typical responses I've heard.

And you don't think there's a reason for that? You don't get why people laugh at the idea of chase cam being even remotely realistic, let alone comparable to cockpit view?

Everyone has their own opinion, but when you're opinion contradicts 99.9% of everyone else, you might be wrong.

And you don't think there's a reason for that?
You don't get what is typical. What's typical is defending cockpit mode because it draws a graphic of the car interior, disregard things like field of view or peripheral vision.

I explained what I found wrong with interior view. You address none of the points.

You don't get why people laugh at the idea of chase cam being even remotely realistic, let alone comparable to cockpit view?
Most likely because they didn't try to think about it.

Everyone has their own opinion, but when you're opinion contradicts 99.9% of everyone else, you might be wrong.
When 99.9% of opinions are uninformed they should be disregarded.

If PD does decide to add this option, it would be nice to also add the ability to move the camera inside cockpit view left and right just like Midnight Club.

EDIT: Apparently in GT6 you can move the camera inside cockpit.

Last edited:
If PD does decide to add this option, it would be nice to also add the ability to move the camera inside cockpit view left and right just like Midnight Club.

EDIT: Apparently in GT6 you can move the camera inside cockpit.

No all you can do in GT6 is change the FOV which in my opinion is a piss poor option because it makes it too narrow.

What they should do is let you adjust the seat. If you could move the seat forward, you could get better visibility without ruining the FOV. rFactor, TDU 1, and GTR 2 had it and I really liked it.

Moving the seat forward/backwards and up or down is the real key to this. Going for a wider field of view but from a default position further back will help peripheral vision but reduce the view through the windscreen making precise driving more difficult for some. If you can move the seat and set field of view seperately everyone should be able to get the view they want. This should be set by individual car. I personally would like to set each cockpit up so I can see the driver's side wing mirror and rear view mirror on the main display (I only have one screen). I have left and right buttons on wheel or DS3 set up to view left or right. When using DS3 I also have my right analogue stick set up to change view as if gradually turning your head.

Either way allowing the idea in the original post to be an OPTION that can be searched for online is an excellent one.

Wow, some people take this way to seriously... Its a totally ridiculous premise in my opinion, I mean, of all the things to claim would level the playing field is the view? BUT the OP is only asking for it to be optional, so where's the harm?

Wow, some people take this way to seriously... Its a totally ridiculous premise in my opinion, I mean, of all the things to claim would level the playing field is the view? BUT the OP is only asking for it to be optional, so where's the harm?

But it would - have you ever experimented with different views? I have and some are a lot slower than others. It seems perfectly reasonable for a host to be able to set a view which is more immersive and enjoyable, but slower.

But it would - have you ever experimented with different views? I have and some are a lot slower than others. It seems perfectly reasonable for a host to be able to set a view which is more immersive and enjoyable, but slower.

I do occasionally, but, I've played Gran Turismo for 15 years using bumper cam, the second I change to anything else it all goes to pot! Am I faster using bumper cam than cockpit cam, yes I am, but that's because I'm not used to using any other view... it's not the case that bumper cam allows you to go faster, it's that using a different view would artificially slow me down... it would be no different than forcing me to use a different controller configuration.

Chase cam, for instance, should be easiest of all, because you can see further in to the distance, and place your car on the road exactly where you want it... but I have never set a faster lap-time in chase cam than bumper cam, it seems all my braking points and racing lines go totally out of the window when I'm using a different perspective.

As for cockpit cam being more immersive and enjoyable, I have to disagree on both points. Perhaps with a 3 monitor set-up it would be better, but as it is, it feels so much more restrictive than it should. The perspective is all wrong, and none of the hand/wheel movements are as they would be. Sure the concept of it is more realistic, but there's too much about it that's wrong, it just becomes.. jarring.

I appreciate that someones 'favourite' view is entirely subjective, but I think you'd have a hard time proving that any one view is faster than another.

Would you also force people to use X and [] for throttle and brakes... or are you happy that some may use the buttons, some may use the R stick, some may use the triggers, some may use a DFGT, some may use a G27, some may use a T500RS, some may use a T500RS with a stick and a clutch.... IMHO, these are more likely to contribute to a lap-time difference than the view.

There's also the question of whether using cockpit cam contributes to some of the frame-rate issues.

I prefer cockpit view, but the restricted vision does require thorough knowledge of the track. I have found it slower than bonnet cam, therefore I have to use that for online racing. Sadly the bonnet view, instead of being just at the base of the windscreen appears to be randomly placed in GT6 - sometimes it's in the middle of the roof and in at least one case I found it to be the top deck of a double decker bus.

I weened myself off the bumper cam when I first bought a wheel and feel that I benefitted from that as player and in terms of gaming enjoyment.

I expect that if you persisted with cockpit view you would eventually prefer it to bumper cam, because it enables you to switch off the HUD, which is definitely more immersive.

We are only asking for an option to set cockpit view - this would also have the advantage of being able to build a list of friends who prefer that view.

Fair enough, as I say, I wouldn't disagree with the option of it.

Personally it's bumper cam for me, or the equivalent view in pretty much any other driving game, not just because it's what I'm used to, but also I find it increases the sensation of speed, which I like. It also helps to avoid noticing the chasm of difference between last gen original standards, and the next gen tessilated premiums!

I never race online and I never use cockpit view , but I don't see why those who do should not have the choice of doing so. IMO the one thing that is lacking , more than anything else in GT6 is choices. The ability to choose how you, the one who has paid for your game, should play it.

Interesting idea.
PD could also include the option to force all players to use manual transmission. All other driving aids can be blocked, I don't see any reason for not having the option to force all players to use manual transmission.

FS7
Interesting idea.
PD could also include the option to force all players to use manual transmission. All other driving aids can be blocked, I don't see any reason for not having the option to force all players to use manual transmission.

Because most players like myself only drive automatic.

Because most players like myself only drive automatic.
That's alright, you don't have to play in my lobby, you can join another lobby or even make your own lobby with your rules if you wish, but I'd like to be able to ban automatic transmission just like I do with other driving aids.

I like this idea, but first we need real fov, height adjustments and also wheel rotation, cause inside view don't match 1:1 with your turning.

Would be nice to have everyone on a level playing field for once.
why should we have to play to what suits you we all don't play using the cockpit view and I and most of us like it the way it is now and you talk about having a level playing field wouldn't that give you cockpit viewers the advantage over the rest of us ? I just think its abit ridiculous IMO

Would be nice to have everyone on a level playing field for once.

There is no need to make a feature you can manage yourself.Instead of making a button to lock the view mode inside of the car, agree with your friends that everyone will drive cockpit view only.

There is no need to make a feature you can manage yourself.Instead of making a button to lock the view mode inside of the car, agree with your friends that everyone will drive cockpit view only.

That's nonsense. You think the honor system is an alternative to being able to actually restrict the car views? You're pretty naive to think that

I think it's sad that GTA V has an option to limit everyone to cockpit view (first person mode) but GT6, a driving simulator does not.

I know why though, it's because Kaz uses bumper cam. Guaranteed that if Kaz used cockpit view not only would this be an option in the race lobby settings, but more cars would have cockpits in GT6 as well. Especially the Vision GT cars. That's why I kind of hate about GT. If Kaz isn't into it, the game is less likely to have it. That goes for cars as well.

Thats a bad idea, because cockpit view is pretty bad in terms of visibility, unless you have a triple screen, and almost no one has a triple scren.

I much prefer the hood camera instead, which makes you think the TV is the front window of your car, and the visibility is far better.

Thats a bad idea, because cockpit view is pretty bad in terms of visibility, unless you have a triple screen, and almost no one has a triple scren.

I much prefer the hood camera instead, which makes you think the TV is the front window of your car, and the visibility is far better.

This isn't about preference - it's about giving Hosts more options - in this case, to give the Host the option to restrict the room to people using cockpit view.

Personally I think its a good thing to give Hosts more options - whether I personally like those options or not doesn't matter as long as I can filter easily and quickly find a room.

This isn't about preference - it's about giving Hosts more options - in this case, to give the Host the option to restrict the room to people using cockpit view.

Personally I think its a good thing to give Hosts more options - whether I personally like those options or not doesn't matter as long as I can filter easily and quickly find a room.
Yeah but its not about making the host a "dictator" ;) everyone to use the cam their like. If someone is crazy enough to use cockpit cam, fine, but please not force the others to use such a terrible thing.

Yeah but its not about making the host a "dictator" ;) everyone to use the cam their like. If someone is crazy enough to use cockpit cam, fine, but please not force the others to use such a terrible thing.

You would simply find another room - just as at the moment I avoid rooms which allow TCS.

There's nothing "dictator" about giving the host options. If you don't like that a lobby restricts you to play in a certain way you can simply leave that lobby and join another one, or make your own lobby with your own rules.

You would simply find another room - just as at the moment I avoid rooms which allow TCS.
FS7
There's nothing "dictator" about giving the host options. If you don't like that a lobby restricts you to play in a certain way you can simply leave that lobby and join another one, or make your own lobby with your own rules.
I think you can't compare driving aids with camera views.
Everyone's used to a different camera views. Its like a sort of personal thing. And I dont think using one or another camera view represents any advantage at all, unlike driving aids.
If you think using cockpit view is a disadvantage.... is because... well, cockpit view is certainly crap and has really poor visibility.

Back