ABS in Gran Turismo series R.I.P (1997-2008)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 155 comments
This is much welcomed, however, it would be less of a challenge if I could acquire a wheel. So once I get my PS3 and GT5:Prologue tomorrow, how do I get this update? I'm new to all this being able to download stuff for the Playstation.

Yes but it is not only TCS we are talking about and every car is not a F1 car in GT5. Infact there are more everyday cars then there are race cars so please tell me why being able to adjust ABS, Braking balance levels etc... is realistic and tell me how you do this in a real life car while you are on a track. Because with my experience (not much but more then average) I have never seen this ability in any car I have been in. TCS is a big ovious there is a big button to push on most cars lmfao. But I have never seen the ability to adjust the level of TCS in a car

F1 races need to be dramatic too, entertainment for people that look for spectacular things. Maybe they saw that the F1 car is too secure and people may think it's boring(american type of people :D ) so the y took TC out to make racing less secure hence more interesting. First they make F1 cars secure then they take out Slick Tyres and now Traction Control, I wonder if I missed something, I'm not a F1 fan.

This is much welcomed, however, it would be less of a challenge if I could acquire a wheel. So once I get my PS3 and GT5:Prologue tomorrow, how do I get this update? I'm new to all this being able to download stuff for the Playstation.

Both the game and your PS3 will tell you.
Fire up your PS3 and it should say there is a system software update available.

As for GT5P that does it automatically also when you boot the game.

After you set up your internet connection that is.

Does Ferrari cars have that in few levels? Sport, Norma, Race, ETC.. I bet BMW have it too.

If it real or not.. I like that option, if you don't like it don't you use, I think it will really come in handy once in a while, Especially Online play or endurance races :)

So if F1 took slick tires out.. what are they using now? I thought they were slick but with few groves. ????

When the game loads up it should ask if you want to start downloading the update.

Yikes, some arguments brewing here, calm down guys, is this pre release fever LOL I could produce a long list of various cars and there relivant adjustable driving aids. but it would be a long laborious post that people would just ignore or say, yeah ok that car has it but my focus dosn't ect ect. I'f you want to take a look at say the BMW M5, that thing has so many options from how feirce the clutch is to how much power the engine puts out, how reactive the ABS is, it even has diferential adjustment.....all on the move! ok so it's not a Ford focus but nor is it a Ferrari or a race car. If you had cars in game that you could alter settings in race and those that you couldn't then you would have a prety uneven playing field. ALL the options that are changeable in race can be put onto ANY car in the game. This replicates real life, you can fit any of these options and more to real life cars, you want a launch control on your Nissan Micra....yeah you can do that, why god only knows but you can LOL Look in real life I cant float behind my car or stick my eyes on the front bumper whilst driving a car (someone else said that but it's a good example) also I can't walk away let alone drive away from a 100mph crash. THIS IS A GAME! It's ment to be fun and entertaining.
Can we also reframe from the Forza comparisons, fun though they are. Firstly it gets the 360 guys going and secondly Forza's getting old and it's an unfair comparison. No doubt when Forza 3 hits town it'll give GT5 a run for it's money, but by then GT6 will be in development and so the endless battle continues. GT5p is about to hit the shops in Europe then we can have a few weeks making the americans go nutz with storys of how good it is and rafts of videos and screen shots to really make them drool, just calm down a little and savour the moment....It's going to be big everyone so lets stop the pety arguments with people who would complain if the windscreen wipers don't work........WTF what do you mean they dont work! Well I'm cancelling my ord........oh they will in the full game! well thats ok then LOL

Peace

bottom line is: more options, and closer to reality, that's what matters in th end.
agreed

I understand, and agree, unless we are talking about running long races where pace control and tire management come in to play-I'd like to have it there. My post wasn't meant to sound so harsh, sorry. I was thinking more of GT5 in general, race cars and such. It's not a bad thing to want to use cars as built and sold to consumers. It certainly matches the realistic visuals, the whole thing looks like a never-ending test drive from heaven (my heaven, anyway), all the cars at your fingertips, no salesman along for the ride.

no hard feelings taken. i just never heard of a race car/production car can do ABS adjustments on the fly so i feel as if its too much control.as far as i know, you can only do the mid-race adjustments with logitech's new DFP so i wont have a problem with ignoring it.
Strictly speaking, antilock braking isn't a racing technique, since most race cars don't utilize antilock braking. There are two primary reasons for this: 1) It isn't entirely clear that antilock braking will reduce stopping distance for the skilled driver; and 2) Antilock brakes add system complexity, cost and weight to the race car, the disadvantages of which outweigh any possible advantages.

quote from racing school.com

http://www.racingschools.com/rs/Antilock-Braking-p-34.html

again, agreed

If you look at the wheel on an F1 car and many of the super cars and especialy the high end track cars you can alter things like traction control, engine rev limit, fuel maping and suspension stiffness and also brake bias whilst in the race. Ok so your stanard ford focus isn't going to have all that but if you wanted you could stick it on. even the audi TT and some of the vauxhals have adjustable settings for suspension stiffness.

i was still talking about flipping the ABS on and off back there (which F1 cars dont have anyways) not on the fly adjustments in general. im not against that at all

I can think of one problem with no ABS system. Some cars come equipped with ABS or offer them for their cars. I have to think at least some cars (especially street cars) would be pretty fine with an ABS system. Just have to turn it off. Turn it off like you could with ASM and TCS in GT2 through GT4.

More and more, GT seems to really evolve no matter what haters and cheap shot-making hypocritical bastards think. The Top Gear Test Track inclusion and Ferrari is like a shot into GT's blood system. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if the brakes locked up and was trying to properly clear a corner. I can think of Laguna Seca going into the Andretti Hairpin, trying to brake hard and end up slightly overshooting the hairpin and into the kitty litter. I think if PD is going to include this, I have to imagine we could see more smoke effects as well as an upgraded physics engine. Tires do lock up and emit smoke into the air. So I would imagine seeing more tire smoke from brake lockup and stuff. Racing will now be tougher by miles. I still triple-pump the brakes to try to get the best stopping performance heading into a corner of moderate or hard degree. I sometimes pretend the cars don't have ABS when applying the brakes three times. My method is that I depress the brakes at crucial sections for half a second, then do it again until I get the best braking performance heading into a corner. This strategy has worked for me in handling cars. Now, this recommended strategy may well be required in GT5 and GT5: Prologue. I think now is the time to step up your driving skills a bit in becoming the next champion of Gran Turismo yet again.

I am very happy to hear this news

Although, I do wish/ed PD supply a list of the cars in GT5P that are factory fitted with ABS, I want to drive the cars as they are setup out of the factory in real life (as close as GT lets me), not going to take out a Lexus IS-F and go locking up tyres all over the place.

as far as i know, you can only do the mid-race adjustments with logitech's new DFP so i wont have a problem with ignoring it.

actually you can use live adjustments no only with the new DFGT, but with DFP and G25 as well (I have remapped a few buttons and it's good to go)

Why is everyone hating on the live adjustments? Do these people honestly think turning ON traction control is going to magically make them faster around the track? Might make them more consistant but everyone knows TCS is bad in the first place lol.
I wont be adjusting mine anywhere but off.
Plus in a 350z you can turn on/off the 2 traction control systems on the fly. Not unrealistic.

Best decision PD has made in well....along time.The harder the challenge the better.

Now whats the bet when the US version hits,the rest of us get the extra cars as well. :)

Hereward, i couldn't agree with you more, and people need to realize that this is still just a GAME. There is nothing wrong with a little argueing over how you think it should be, but some people just get a little irrate with their debates.

Also I think if they made this game half as realistic as half of these people want it, they prolly wouldn't even play the darn thing. I would like to know where in real life you start off with 35,000 dollars to purchace a car?

Obviously you know where I stand on this matter.

Now whats the bet when the US version hits,the rest of us get the extra cars as well. :)

No one is even sure the US is getting extra cars now the adjusted their official car list.

Yeah should be interesting to see if theres a time advantage on track between the pad and the wheel

Dont know about GT5, but in other games including Forza2 the pad is quicker. You can learn to be very smooth with the pad which is the only advantage of the wheel, plus you can do things that just arent possible with the wheel like turning lock to lock in a fraction of a second.

It was very evident to me when I was in a competition in Forza (with a trip to japan up for grabs). I spent ages trying to match the top time through the hairpin at suzuka and one other place on the track but I never quite could, ended up with a TV as a runners up prize. After the comp finished I attacked the time trial again with the pad instead of the wheel and those two sections I was losing time on became much easier.

I think the pad will always be faster for skilled players. But its massively more fun with a wheel so I am sticking to that :)

Dont know about GT5, but in other games including Forza2 the pad is quicker. You can learn to be very smooth with the pad which is the only advantage of the wheel, plus you can do things that just arent possible with the wheel like turning lock to lock in a fraction of a second.

It was very evident to me when I was in a competition in Forza (with a trip to japan up for grabs). I spent ages trying to match the top time through the hairpin at suzuka and one other place on the track but I never quite could, ended up with a TV as a runners up prize. After the comp finished I attacked the time trial again with the pad instead of the wheel and those two sections I was losing time on became much easier.

I think the pad will always be faster for skilled players. But its massively more fun with a wheel so I am sticking to that :)

Interesting, Obviously at the very top level there is a difference in times! I can only judge myself on my true ranking on PGR3 which put me in with the "hotshots" so although prety high definatly not compertition winning material LOL at my level though there were a mixture of wheel and pad users, I pesonaly went from the pad to the wheel after a few months and kept the same lap times with it.

No more slamming onto the brakes for me! Yay!!!

On another note, imagine online, with all these people rushing into the first corner and locking up under brakes there may be a significant amount of smoke...won't that cause some lag if something along the line of 6 or 8 cars in front of you suddenly smoke up their tyres?

I don't know, if anyone posted it yet. In the meantime, this thread got too big, to read it completely. But for those, who like to drive realistic, these are the cars in GT5P, that have got no ABS in RL:

Suzuki Cappuccino '95 (as an option)
Ferrari 512BB '76
Ferrari F40 '92
Lotus Elise '96
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
TVR Tamora '02
Art Morrison Corvette '60

Edit: With tuned cars, like those from Amuse or Blitz I'm not sure. Don't know, if some of them have ABS disabled.

theres a few more than that, the gt40 off the top of my head and all the specialy tuned models I doubt would have it, also things like the M3 allow you to turn it off. but again you take a road car on a track and race it your going to turn off or disable it to win races, for those who state it's not realistic you don't have to turn it off, leave it on problem solved and everybody is happy. Your going to lose in an online race against people who can drive with it turned off though LOL

Back