Absolute Drift Follow-Up "art of rally" Arrives September 23

• Thread starter Slapped
  • 187 comments
Very tempted by this on the Switch if the performance holds up, for the convenience and for supporting quality driving/racing content on the eShop. I still don't like being restricted to an overhead view in a 3D game, though.

Playing it for the first time now and it's pretty fun... but is there no way to change the control layout? The default layout for manual shifting is pretty awkward.

Launched today on Xbox, interested to hear people's views whilst I wait to finish work later to have a go 😅

Well... it probably beat my record as the fastest game uninstalled from my drive after I started playing (less than 10 minutes). Sim-heavy controls = unresponsive (but not a proper tutorial), lack of hood view, and rather annoying music are the main reasons. (And yes, I'm a casual driver, If I want realism I hop into my car.)

Last edited:
Playing it for the first time now and it's pretty fun... but is there no way to change the control layout? The default layout for manual shifting is pretty awkward.
I don't think there is a way to change the controls, which is a shame. I think it would be easier to control with a different layout (I am playing on Switch fyi).

Just played for maybe an hour and it does have a steep learning curve, but is fun. I do not like the Switch controller to begin with, but if I could remap the buttons the car control would feel better and maybe easier.

Other than that, it's not bad, but also not like I expected. However, I had a tough time with Absolute Drift, so I am not sure what I was expecting in the first place in terms of car control. Game has a cool look to it, I like the music and I am getting a kick out of reading the car descriptions.

Well... it probably beat my record as the fastest game uninstalled from my drive after I started playing (less than 10 minutes). Sim-heavy controls = unresponsive (but not a proper tutorial), lack of hood view, and rather annoying music are the main reasons. (And yes, I'm a casual driver, If I want realism I hop into my car.)
Did you try adjusting the sensitivity?

I've had about 20 minutes with it so far and I love it, it's such a great take on the rally game, the environments look great, the free roam element gives me Tony Hawk Pro Skater vibes, the cars look so cool. Love it.

2d13c972-4bde-40fa-ab69-81d382886991.png
5a7855c9-8cd2-4d6c-ad36-e22e0dc46b78.png

I don't think there is a way to change the controls, which is a shame. I think it would be easier to control with a different layout (I am playing on Switch fyi).
There should be a way to remap buttons on a controller in the settings tab on the home Screen.

I got carried away playing Dirt Rally all evening thanks to Game Pass, forgot all about this game, just started downloading before bed, can't wait to check it out tomorrow.. :)

Not sure I'd say they are "sim-heavy controls" but it is definitely a little tougher than I was expecting, but I think that's actually a good thing for longevity as it has some depth and challenge. Took me 30mins or so before I was winning stages on the default difficulty, so I'd say 10mins is probably not enough time to have given it much of a chance.

I wasn't expecting any other views as I was thinking of it as a kinda retro game anyway.

Agree with you about the music though and I sorta thought I'd be the only one that didn't care for it as it seems people love this repetitive boompsh boompsh boompsh electronic-y stuff nowadays. At first I felt like it was fitting enough but I could only make it about 15mins before it started wearing on me, but it's easy enough to just turn it off.

I dunno what you would need a tutorial for though if you have ever played a driving game or rally game, just drive the car down the little roads it puts in front of you.

Just played for maybe an hour and it does have a steep learning curve, but is fun. I do not like the Switch controller to begin with, but if I could remap the buttons the car control would feel better and maybe easier.

Other than that, it's not bad, but also not like I expected. However, I had a tough time with Absolute Drift, so I am not sure what I was expecting in the first place in terms of car control. Game has a cool look to it, I like the music and I am getting a kick out of reading the car descriptions.
It boggles my mind that we are in 2021 and every game doesn't have the ability to re-map buttons.

I enjoy the car descriptions too, and the models for the cars are definitely cute, along with some of their throwback liveries.

It's in a bit of a weird place though in that it looks cutesy and casual, but is surprisingly tough and filled with love for rallying that will be lost on many I think. I imagine a lot of the sim guys and serious rally fans won't even try it when they have DIRT/WRC to play, and the casual/arcade guys will likely find it off-putting because it is tougher than expected. The vehicle descriptions, more obscure cars, throwback liveries, and stage references/styling will also likely go right over the heads of the younger crowd and people who aren't as into rallying.

I just had a quick go and yes the default controls are not to my liking either.. however remember guys that you can go into the Xbox accessories app straight from the Xbox menu and remap anything you want. I created a new profile just for this game and now I'm sorted.

I've played the first rally, 2 stages at Finland, 1 restart finished 2nd. I can tell I'm going to love this game. It's a bit hard to start but after 5 mins I was into it. I love the art and graphics direction. Love how the people are all stood in the road in the hairpins, so period. You can tell the developer put his heart and soul into this. Some of the car descriptions are funny, like the Alpine, I won't spoil it.

Have fun boys, I know I'm going to :)

It's in a bit of a weird place though in that it looks cutesy and casual, but is surprisingly tough and filled with love for rallying that will be lost on many I think. I imagine a lot of the sim guys and serious rally fans won't even try it when they have DIRT/WRC to play, and the casual/arcade guys will likely find it off-putting because it is tougher than expected. The vehicle descriptions, more obscure cars, throwback liveries, and stage references/styling will also likely go right over the heads of the younger crowd and people who aren't as into rallying.
I would have gotten it even if it wasn't rally, but road racing (though my hardware wouldn't like the added models). I'm outside the box: no serious sim from the last decade or so is even out there that runs stand-alone on Linux. This does, and with Vulkan does it well.

I like the look of this game and the ideas behind it. But a fixed control layout may be a game killer for me. Could you tell me what is the manual shifting layout?

Last edited:
Depsite already having the game on Steam, I decided to give it another shot on Xbox via Game Pass - HDR really complements AoR's art style ;)
full

I like the look of this game and the ideas behind it. But a fixed control layout may be a game killer for me. Could you tell me what is the manual shifting layout? And are the accelerator and brakes the traditional R2 L2 layout, or is it a stick control system? I gave up on micro-machines as I just couldn't coordinate things on sticks.
Trigger for brake and accelerator, I’m not used to pad so using automatic which feels fine on a light hearted game like this. My kids are enjoying it as well.

I just had a quick go and yes the default controls are not to my liking either.. however remember guys that you can go into the Xbox accessories app straight from the Xbox menu and remap anything you want. I created a new profile just for this game and now I'm sorted.
I've been playing the xbox for as long as I can remember and didn't know you could do this!

So I went and got the game and remapped it to my liking - only had to swap button A for Y for gears.

I wish I had known this earlier. I quite like The Crew 2 (apart from the corny characters and story). It's not a bad arcade racer. But the default gear mapping is the worst ever, for me anyway. You'd need an extra pair of fingers on each hand. Anyway I went and remapped this as well so now I'm a happy bunny.

Thanx.

I've been playing the xbox for as long as I can remember and didn't know you could do this!

So I went and got the game and remapped it to my liking - only had to swap button A for Y for gears.

I wish I had known this earlier. I quite like The Crew 2 (apart from the corny characters and story). It's not a bad arcade racer. But the default gear mapping is the worst ever, for me anyway. You'd need an extra pair of fingers on each hand. Anyway I went and remapped this as well so now I'm a happy bunny.

Thanx.
No problem happy to help.

There seems to be a problem with the leaderboards. It registers the time and position ok, but recently my percentage clocks in at 95%, regardless of how fast I go. I did a really deliberate slow attempt and it still registered at 95%.

I checked back to my earlier scores which I did just after the game release - these seem OK, registering between 30% and 50%. But then I tried improving one stage which registered me at 55%. I cut a huge whack off my time and moved up the leaderboard by about 3000 places. But it still registered as 55%.

Now that the game will be out on PS4 soon, I'm wondering if there is a friendlist leaderboard?

Any daily challenge?

Last edited:
Day 1: purchase - install - play

Daily challenge + Weekly challenge
Leaderbaord + friend Leaderboard

There is plenty there to do and keep the game alive. Now I need some friends who play the game on PS4.

I've spent some time in the free roaming and got all the photo location. Only missing a couple of tapes and the letter Y. Did all the road. Could they be offroad?

Also did the first career event (1st) and the second (3rd after 3 attemps). I must say the game is difficult. I played a lot of Absolute Drift setting really decent score but I will need lots more time to be in full control of the car.

I tried to change some of the controller setting to tame the behavior of the car a bit.

Feel free to share your controller setting and give your PSN ID so we can enjoy the game together. :gtpflag: :cheers:

Back