Absolute Drift Follow-Up "art of rally" Arrives September 23

• Thread starter Slapped
  • 187 comments
Switzerland
Zürich
OK, hardcore simmers look away now as this is not the rally game you are looking for.

This is the follow on to Absolute Drift, which if you've played it, know it's a beautiful, graphically minimalist top down drift game that's thoroughly addictive - a real hidden gem of a game that deserves to be in every driving game fanatics collection.

As with Absolute Drift this is going to be top down with stylised minimalist graphics, and like Absolute drift it's likely to be Dark Souls squared in terms of difficulty - it's already on my steam wish list, and I can't wait.

I like these simplistic games. They should make more of these race games but with realistic handling; :D

@Slapped thanks for your opinion of 'Absolute Drift', I passed on this game when it was released because although it looked fun I did consider that it might get old fast, perhaps I will pick it on a sale sometime.. The trailer of Art of Rally looks great!
Have you played some of the other indie games such as Horizon Chase ? I think this could be good too but haven't pulled the trigger as of yet, it's currently on offer too..

Looks great. I enjoyed Absolute Drift. A fun pick up and play game with a great aesthetic.

I saw a 205 and a Quattro, and I think an RS200. I hope it has a Stratos too.

Last edited:
Loved Absolute Drift on the PS4. Was great fun getting the Platinum trophy.

Hopefully this will also make it onto the consoles.

Just curious, why are these games (supposedly) so difficult? (Judging by the reference to Dark Souls). Aren't they supposed to be pick-up-and-play?

Just curious, why are these games (supposedly) so difficult? (Judging by the reference to Dark Souls). Aren't they supposed to be pick-up-and-play?

They are and you can, but there's a significant element of "Git Gud" to Absolute Drift tobe able to really shine at it.

If it ever ends up on Switch, I'll definitely pick it up. Looks like fun.

The demo has absolutely sold me on this game. Tracks are a little bare in their current state, but Group B style crowds are being tested so that shouldn't be an issue. The art style is gorgeous and the demo even comes with a photo mode! (Medium Graphics Setting)
full

full

Last edited:
That looks very cool, is it just pc, I couldn`t find it on the ps store.

Demo is just on the PC for now. Given how Absolute Drift eventually had console ports, the full game will probably be available on the PS4 (or PS5 depending on release) at some point.

Brilliant photos. There are games which pride themselves on being visually ultra-realistic. This is not one of those games, and I think it’s all the better for it.

That might have something to do with "art" being in the title. I agree with you 100%.

I am taking a break from gaming as my mind is focused on more "important" things, but if I get back into gaming this is going to be the first thing I play. Until then I will relish watching my wife and kids enjoy Beat Saber, another immensely simple game with an immense fun factor.

That might have something to do with "art" being in the title. I agree with you 100%.

I am taking a break from gaming as my mind is focused on more "important" things, but if I get back into gaming this is going to be the first thing I play. Until then I will relish watching my wife and kids enjoy Beat Saber, another immensely simple game with an immense fun factor.
I had a go on beat saber and it really is a brilliant game.

I decided to see how Art of Rally stacks up visually again DiRT Rally 2.0:
full

full

full

full

Actually in many ways I can say that I prefer the simplicity and sparseness of AOR compared to DR2.

Honestly I think the dev has hit the nail right on the head with this stylistic graphics approach.

Actually in many ways I can say that I prefer the simplicity and sparseness of AOR compared to DR2.

Honestly I think the dev has hit the nail right on the head with this stylistic graphics approach.

Yes he has got it spot on, it looks wicked. I'm definitely interested in getting this when it comes to the consoles.

You made me remember that milestone made a wrc game with the then current fen graphics but top down.

Back