Absolute Drift Follow-Up "art of rally" Arrives September 23

• Thread starter Slapped
  • 187 comments
With the current level of skill I have in 3D modeling, the styling of "Art of Rally" is right up my alley. I been trying to practice certain modeling techniques, including low polygons modeling. As for the game itself, it is quite stylish, and actually (let's be honest) something refreshing from super-serious graphics and game play. Even with its mostly low polygon look and feel, it looks gorgeous! This is a game I would probably play.

Cool selection of classics!! What a shame if it will not offer any option for a conventional camera view. Top-down and rally are not a good mix, IMO. I personally don't get modern 3D top-downs at all. Go with 2D pixel art or just...offer the option to position the camera where it's more useful, at least?

I'd need to wait for a Playstation version anyway. I tried the demo and it was truly a slideshow...and with this artstyle. :lol: Not a knock against the developer; Unity is a pig.

I didn't know a Group S RX7 exist, that is a nice surprise to see in a game. There looks to be a 308 Group B in it as well, really looking forward to this game and I really hope they have a Switch port planned after PC launch.

Last edited:
Cool selection of classics!! What a shame if it will not offer any option for a conventional camera view. Top-down and rally are not a good mix, IMO. I personally don't get modern 3D top-downs at all. Go with 2D pixel art or just...offer the option to position the camera where it's more useful, at least?

I'd need to wait for a Playstation version anyway. I tried the demo and it was truly a slideshow...and with this artstyle. :lol: Not a knock against the developer; Unity is a pig.

Agree. I just could never play top down racers. You just feel disembodied from the car. Probably because I never played with RC cars in my childhood, and have always used bumper cam in racing games.

It's a shame because I love the retro artstyle, but I'm gonna have to give this and Circuit Superstars a pass :(

Meanwhile, all the retro non-topdown racers seem to be stuck in development hell (Racing Apex/Hotshot Racing) or cancelled (Drift Stage, 90s Arcade Racer)...

"Flat shaded" and "gorgeous" usually do not go together in the same sentence. In the case of "Art of Rally," though, the two words fit. This game looks fabulous even if it doesn't have photo-realistic graphics. It even plays very well based on pictures I've seen. To me, I would find the top-down deal to be a bit challenging for rally racing. There have surely been top-down rally racing games before. I am reminded when I saw the arcade version of the very first "Drift Out" as well as the Japan-only "Super Drift Out" when it comes to top-down rally racing games. But I don't think the top-down stuff is too intimidating for this game to be a challenge. I still wouldn't mind playing this title.

The trailer is excellent. I particularly like the backfire from the exhaust right at the start as the car sets off, perfect :) you can tell this game is being made with a real passion. I hope this comes to the consoles, although I'm sure it will be hard to play, because top down, I will definitely buy this :)

This looks great, I loved Absolute Drift and will gladly buy this if it comes to the PS4.

Please, someone...give me an old Saab to drive. I saw the old Volvo and it got me hoping.

Looking up "Art of Rally" on Steam, I learned this game primarily is focused on the "Golden Age" of rallying. So there likely won't be any cars from 2000 or later. A lot of the more classic rally cars are featured. As a fan of Group B rallying, I'm cool with that. It still seems like a great game.

I almost wish it wasn’t strictly top-down view. Or will you be able to change views?

Either way, I’ll get it regardless once it launches on consoles.

I think camera view will just be different kind of top down angle, they did confirm there won't be a standard chase cam for the game because the lack of co-driver and with the usual camera view you just can't see the next turn.

Both games in this series have passed me by but this looks incredible.

Agree with the thoughts about a conventional playing camera but this still looks like great fun to play.

I did play Micro Machines on the PS1 so it wouldn't be totally unfamiliar, I hope?

Both games in this series have passed me by but this looks incredible.

Agree with the thoughts about a conventional playing camera but this still looks like great fun to play.

I did play Micro Machines on the PS1 so it wouldn't be totally unfamiliar, I hope?
I bought drift, had the same thought. Its bloody hard, dont be fooled by how easy it looks to drive.

I'm not doubting how challenging it is, just that it looks refreshingly fun, not unlike Untitled Goose Game; you can keep your triple A mega budget titles, thanks.
For sure. Took me by surprise how difficult it was, its rewarding when you start to get the hang of it. Saying that it doesn't necessarily mean this will be as difficult.

It has synthwave! Synthwave and drifting are a match made in heaven.

I'm still waiting for my ultimate synthwave driving game. Something like Outrun 2006 but with a deeper drifting mechanic, the most beautiful synthwave visuals and audio possible, and a endless road with a full day/night cycle.

It's not too much to ask is it? :P

Downloaded the Demo for Mac and my MBP gets hammered so I’ll probably wait for the PS4 version.

Quite enjoyed it though.

I bought drift, had the same thought. Its bloody hard, dont be fooled by how easy it looks to drive.

It feels amazing once you learn how to handle each car though!
I'm hoping that "art of rally" tweaks the low speed handling as it always felt over sensitive to me but it was still heaps of fun and I'm looking forward to the full release

il cavallo 803, 1982 Tour de Corse podium finisher. If I'm not mistaken is the first appearence for Ferrari in a rally game.

Back