!Absolutely gotta have the rewind feature!

  • Thread starter Thread starter The Jenius
  • 123 comments
  • 10,224 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
140
Messages
Songoku1101
Messages
The Jenius
So I finally got to play the Forza3 demo yesterday after my Xbox finished getting repaired. I do like the game, cars seem a little tail happy but so do GTs so whatever. Other than that the game is brilliant and for me is on par with GT series.

Anyhow the reason for this thread is because I have been a long time fan of GT and going into Forza I said "no way I am going to use the rewind feature" . And I didn't really use it until I got to the Time Trial feature, I have to say this is the single best tool that a driver will have to improve their driving techniques and times.

It is simply awesome how I can try different lines on the same corner time after time until I find the one thats best for me. I can play with speeds going into the corner and turn in points. I was able to pull out my book Driving Fast and immediately apply techniques for the same curve they were talking about. It immediately cut a second off of my times because I didn't have to wait for the whole lap to get around to a section I was trying to master.

I think this is one of those features that will revolutionize the way games and honestly, virtual training sessions are done. Its akin to having a bin of basketballs to practice your shot instead of playing a full game where you have to wait for a pass and a good shot.

I hate to be sooo :drool: over Forza because I hope GT is better, but in terms of a sheer training tool it is revolutionary. I hope people can look past the name of the title and just think about what ways this can be helpfull as a driving improvement tool. Because going in I only thought of it only as a means to fix bad driving in a a race, but it really is an awesome feature. Come on GT. Thoughts?
 
Flame bait.
 
dont we already have a rewind thread? welcome to gtp please use the search button located at the top of your screen.
 
And so it begins again today! Topic has been argued to death! Please give it a rest.
 
I'm not arguing I am just saying how I use the feature and how valuable it proved withing minutes me using it. I think of it as a tool not a feature, and its not to argue one game better than the other since I have both systems and all GT games including imports.

I have been on GTP for a while, and its called being on amobile device and not being able to use the search feature for whatever reason. It says new member but I am not.
 
I am glad it worked out for you, really!👍 But this topic always starts fights and I bet alot of people around this site are sick of it just like me.
 
Whether this requires a new thread or not, I dont know. But this point surprisingly made sense. The rewind is an OK feature for practice only, though I've gotten along pretty well without it and will contiue to.

I don't think you're at any disadvantage running full laps vs. rewinding each corner. If you're at all consistent and also persistent, even a long track like the Nurburgring comes together with a bit of time. And I think it's important to learn the track as a whole rather than in parts. But yea maybe rewind could speed the process up for a newbie.
 
I am glad it worked out for you, really!👍 But this topic always starts fights and I bet alot of people around this site are sick of it just like me.

I'm sure it might and I saw the other threads but seeing as thought they all turned into hell, I figured my thoughts would fall by the wayside.

I started this because I didn't really see anyone making a case for using it as a practice only tool. I think it should in no way be used in a race unless you are new and are barely able to get around the track but on anything other than easy then no way.

I would only see this as a valuable tool in a practice environment only. I don't see how many would have a huge problem with someone using technology to help them improve their driving if it was used in this way. It would be like Schumacher saying another driver should be disqualified because he used a simulator, which is common place now.

I understand its a new and gimmicky feature in a race environment its kind of cheating but while hotlapping and practicing this is where its at.
 
They could just as easily implement a practice feature that allows you to pick and string together sections of track. Similar to Rockband/Guitar heros practice mode where you can pick and loop sections of music.

I personally dont care one way or the other. I would use it if available but at the same time wouldnt miss it if it wasnt there.
 
dont we already have a rewind thread? welcome to gtp please use the search button located at the top of your screen.

We did, it got locked though due to excessive arguing.
 
I'm pretty sure the thread on rewind was closed, so I don't see any problem with this new thread. Besides, the op brought a different angle into the discussion, as he's suggesting the use of rewind for time trial. I personally disagree with that, but the discussion is valid as long as it remains civil.
 
in before Scaff

on topic...I......disagree/wouldnt use it
 
IBT.... I mean... your argument seems valid, have a nice day!
 
Not very realistic is it? this rewind feature I mean, so, no, I hope it never shows up in GT
 
First off, no that is not a dummy account I made up (just in case anyone was wondering :P )

Secondly OP I have been saying rewind is a good learning tool for quite a while based on exactly what you have found to be true. Good to hear it's working for someone and it's been a positive experience for you... learning to get better only makes the game more enjoyable on so many levels.
 
And I've been saying that too, and for those who asked proof, there you have it. 👍
 
Not very realistic is it? this rewind feature I mean, so, no, I hope it never shows up in GT

To be honest neither is any form of simulation. I mean you are really just projected to a track and into a car and start to race, with no money spent to enter, or to have to put together a team, no qualifications and no reservation of track time. But some how a lot of people think this one thing is a bad idea it is just an extention of having a computer to practice driving. I honestly don't see a big difference from having a virtual car which isn't yours either.

I think of it this way, why is it so different from crashing into a wall then restarting a race or re-enter a race without having to rebuild your car? If someone can answer that then it would make more sense. It is really no different than a complete restart it just cuts down the time and distance you want to restart to. And if its just in practice then what is the harm.

I guess people are saying that they need to play a real basketball game to get better and practicing shooting with a bucket of balls from the same spot is cheating it is honestly a kin to that.
 
To be honest neither is any form of simulation. I mean you are really just projected to a track and into a car and start to race, with no money spent to enter, or to have to put together a team, no qualifications and no reservation of track time. But some how a lot of people think this one thing is a bad idea it is just an extention of having a computer to practice driving. I honestly don't see a big difference from having a virtual car which isn't yours either.

I think of it this way, why is it so different from crashing into a wall then restarting a race or re-enter a race without having to rebuild your car? If someone can answer that then it would make more sense. It is really no different than a complete restart it just cuts down the time and distance you want to restart to. And if its just in practice then what is the harm.

I guess people are saying that they need to play a real basketball game to get better and practicing shooting with a bucket of balls from the same spot is cheating it is honestly a kin to that.

BTW honest question here, have you found having rewind available to you during normal races ruined the racing experience for you? I asked because having used rewind in a few games I found it didn't as I only used it where I felt it was appropriate and am wondreing if you arrived at the same conclusion.
 
BTW honest question here, have you found having rewind available to you during normal races ruined the racing experience for you? I asked because having used rewind in a few games I found it didn't as I only used it where I felt it was appropriate and am wondreing if you arrived at the same conclusion.

I did the 1st few races getting use to the physics and the aggressive nature of a few races but I am only using it in time-trials since I've got the hang of it now. The other reason is because there is only 2 laps, if it was even 3 or so I would be able to catch up when I made a mistake.

It didn't really hurt anything other than my pride after I said I wouldn't use it, but I like the feature overall, it didn't detract. The AI is so aggressive that it can get a little over zealous and ruin a race though.

I think for a GT game a practice only rewind would be the way to make it palpable and still stay true to the GT way of doing things.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like about what I found... use it a lot at first (for whatever reasons) and once you are used to it and ready to move on, it doesn't impinge your game play because you get to choose how it effects you and it doesn't take away your desire to do better.

And on the brightside, even if GT doesn't end up with rewind, you still have it to mess with in your Forza demo and what you learn from using it may well carry over to GT and help you there!
 
"Absolutley gotta have the rewind feature"

Uh no..

Learn from your mistakes, not instantly erase them as if nothing happened.
 
Must.....not.....Ann...ss....ANSWER THE FLAME BAIT!!!!

Lol, I Did it xD

About Rewind, if its implemented Ok, but im not going to Use it..never tried it on GRiD or DIRT 2, i just restarted the race because i felt was the better Choice and Restarting Will help you Learn the complete track, not just one Corner.

Now i have to Admit its Like having a God Tool in Endurance Races that can save you from Being in First, Winning and then because a small Mistake Being in Last.

Final Answer: Who Cares....:lol:
 
^^ Shooting the hoops is a great way of perfecting that single shot outside of a match
Practice laps is a great way of perfecting a lap outside of a race.

GT has always purported itself to be a mature product. Rewind is and arcadey gimmick that doesnt fit with the GT product ethos. It sounds like you are asking for this to achieve something altogether different.

IMO a better option would be a "Tutorial/Testing function" that provides the following:
- Selection of a start and end point on a track to practice
- Ability to overlap each previous line taken as a highlighted line on the road with possibly the "quickest" line remaining as a Ghost line.
- Corner analysis data (yaw, Lateral G's, Cornering speed, Time from Point to Point) which gets back to a discussion we had a while ago on data logging and its merits.

Is this a wish list ? Yes it is... as much as wishing for the Rewind feature.
Begging for real damage in a game then allowing a rewind feature ???? I lose any and all respect for anyone (including the game makers) who considers this an option.
 
^^ Shooting the hoops is a great way of perfecting that single shot outside of a match
Practice laps is a great way of perfecting a lap outside of a race.

GT has always purported itself to be a mature product. Rewind is and arcadey gimmick that doesnt fit with the GT product ethos. It sounds like you are asking for this to achieve something altogether different.

IMO a better option would be a "Tutorial/Testing function" that provides the following:
- Selection of a start and end point on a track to practice
- Ability to overlap each previous line taken as a highlighted line on the road with possibly the "quickest" line remaining as a Ghost line.
- Corner analysis data (yaw, Lateral G's, Cornering speed, Time from Point to Point) which gets back to a discussion we had a while ago on data logging and its merits.

Is this a wish list ? Yes it is... as much as wishing for the Rewind feature.
Begging for real damage in a game then allowing a rewind feature ???? I lose any and all respect for anyone (including the game makers) who considers this an option.

Exactly, that sounds awesome, especially the line taken, I would absolutely love that especially the data logging portion. Do people realize the kind of gains and practice sessions that this can yield?

Everyone has the tracks memorized I have a top 1000 time on Suzuka with multiple cars, so I know the track. The issue is that there are certain tenths here and there that I cannot visually see without the help of data and practice on the trouble spots. I make up ground on the top guys in certain places but in others I lose. I would love to just practice the portions I have trouble with.

Again for people that are coming in late, I am not talking about RACING I am talking about Practice only. I keep seeing comments along the lines of "you can keep doing it until you win" or "erase a mistake". I am taking about PRACTICE sessions only.

Again of you turn on GT5P right now go hotlapping and crash what happens. You just keep going, or restart if its early in the lap. How is that different from rewind other than you go all of the way out of the menu and hit restart?

A good reason of this comes from a new technique I am trying to perfect with left foot braking. I am trying to mimick some F1 shots I have seen and its hard having to go all the way back around to try again.
 
I hate to say it Jenius, but I hope you are ready for a bunch of negativity and pushback from those who aren't as objective and open minded as you and may never even have tried the feature they are talking down about... it's just not popular around here as valuable as you and I may know it to be.

It's really too bad, but much like gay marriage, some people just won't accept it no matter what the logical arguments aruond it are.
 
IMO a better option would be a "Tutorial/Testing function" that provides the following:
- Selection of a start and end point on a track to practice
- Ability to overlap each previous line taken as a highlighted line on the road with possibly the "quickest" line remaining as a Ghost line.
- Corner analysis data (yaw, Lateral G's, Cornering speed, Time from Point to Point) which gets back to a discussion we had a while ago on data logging and its merits.

This would be nice way to practice some sections of a track without having a stupid rewind.

Good Idea.👍
 
I hate to say it Jenius, but I hope you are ready for a bunch of negativity and pushback from those who aren't as objective and open minded as you and may never even have tried the feature they are talking down about... it's just not popular around here as valuable as you and I may know it to be.

It's really too bad, but much like gay marriage, some people just won't accept it no matter what the logical arguments aruond it are.

Dude, just because people have a different opinion than yours doesn't mean they are close-minded, or that people who share the same opinion as yours are open-minded. This is a small rule of etiquette on forums that would be nice if people followed it.
 
I hate to say it Jenius, but I hope you are ready for a bunch of negativity and pushback from those who aren't as objective and open minded as you and may never even have tried the feature they are talking down about... it's just not popular around here as valuable as you and I may know it to be.

It's really too bad, but much like gay marriage, some people just won't accept it no matter what the logical arguments aruond it are.

Thats ok I mean its just something I have found useful and hope others will use it to make themselves better. But whoever doesn't use it is just at a little disadvantage.

888 Tuning has pretty much stated my reasoning for its uses but has done it in a way that doesn't contain the word rewind, pairs it with valuable data, and basically sets a section that you want to practice. It should be used to practice small sections of a track that one is having trouble with period. No to win races or cheat. Nice addition, very clean way of putting in a useful feature. The only benefit of the rewind ability is because you may still want to have a lap time once you are done practicing that section to see how much overall you improve.
 
Last edited:
"Absolutley gotta have the rewind feature"

Uh no..

Learn from your mistakes, not instantly erase them as if nothing happened.

You didn't read a single post did you? Rewind is what allows people to learn. It's what Jenius said. It's what Devedander has said, it's what I've said, it's what other people have said. Now there's direct proof on top of reasoning and theory.

As for this thread itself, can't say I'm surprised. It's pretty clear how much rewind can help a driver.


As for the "corner learning vs track learning" arguement, I'm sure it is something that doesn't exist, as rewind allows you to do both, as it's not forced upon a crash or mistake. But that's for Jenius to confirm if he wants.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back