!Absolutely gotta have the rewind feature!

  • Thread starter Thread starter The Jenius
  • 123 comments
  • 10,223 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ghost is more beneficial because you can see where you go faster.

When you mess up you need to know how to get back up to speed, and do so in the most efficient way. If you mess up, and just rewind to before the mess up, then you never get back up to speed, much less get up to speed efficiently.

BTW, in your post you gave an example of pushing your car to the limit, not recovering.

My point is you need to practice messing up and and getting back on pace, because in a race others will bump you and mess you up.

@ 888 tuning- That is your chance to RECOVER and simulate a race scenario with your ghost. (you exemplified my point:tup:)
 
I personally think this topic is pointless. I don't think GT is the kind of game that adds features because other games in the same genre are doing it. None of the other games have had it and i think they will stick with the on track ghost.

I also have personal feelings against the rewind feature. I think one should be punished for mistakes they make on track. If they do have a rewind feature, it should only be in game modes like single player arcade mode where it does not affect things like online rankings or in your GT simulation/world map mode.
 
That's how it works Ismoke, i totally agree.
 
@ 888 tuning- That is your chance to RECOVER and simulate a race scenario with your ghost. (you exemplified my point:tup:)

Lol not quite... unless you are a hack and this is your first crack at some laps... for better drivers (which I believe we both are) ghost lapping becomes a matter of 10th's or 100ths of second. When pushing this close to your limit when you cock it up it normally (for me) will mean some off track experience or something else that will cost a good 5 seconds in which case your ghost is gone and your chance for corner and brake comparisons with the ghost are null and void till the next lap.

If you can have a big loss of a few seconds and pull this back on your ghost before the end of that lap, then that ghost lap was (in all honesty) crap :)
 
If you can have a big loss of a few seconds and pull this back on your ghost before the end of that lap, then that ghost lap was (in all honesty) crap :)

Semantics...

I am talking about taking 1 turn too wide (costing you tenths of a second) or perhaps missing a braking point, and being able to minimize the damage that was done. If you decide to rewind to before the point of this mistake that cost you tenths of one second then you wont be as good as me (someone who didnt rewind in practice to before the point of the mistake) at minimizing the damage done by missing your braking point, or being bumped by another racer.

A good analogy- Rewinding to before a missed braking point is to a UFC fighter rewinding to before he gets hit in the face.
(to think analogous thinking has been taken off US standardized test is unfathomable)

When tragedy happens, be ready (dont rewind!)
 
Last edited:
Semantics...

I am talking about taking 1 turn too wide (costing you tenths of a second) or perhaps missing a braking point, and being able to minimize the damage that was done. If you decide to rewind to before the point of this mistake that cost you tenths of one second then you wont be as good as me (someone who didnt rewind in practice to before the point of the mistake) at minimizing the damage done by missing your braking point, or being bumped by another racer.

A good analogy- Rewinding to before a missed braking point is to a UFC fighter rewinding to before he gets hit in the face.
(to think analogous thinking has been taken off US standardized test is unfathomable)

When tragedy happens, be ready (dont rewind!)

Head gear is the rewind in your example for UFC actually. And if one of us messes up when lapping so close to the edge its not a 10th its seconds because you are at the edge and a mistake takes you way over it.

For example on Suzuka Turn1 how many people have over cooked it, all of us? When I am just practicing I know I made the mistake I don't need a whole lap to figure it out. I want to work on that section where I messed up it might only be a foot off but if I can practice over and over then I can get in my head where my points of attack are.
 
Last edited:
Semantics...

I am talking about taking 1 turn too wide (costing you tenths of a second) or perhaps missing a braking point, and being able to minimize the damage that was done. If you decide to rewind to before the point of this mistake that cost you tenths of one second then you wont be as good as me (someone who didnt rewind in practice to before the point of the mistake) at minimizing the damage done by missing your braking point, or being bumped by another racer.

I am 100% in agreement with this, which is why I dont support a Rewind option and why ghost racing is (for me) addictive ... I know I should be able to just about beat the other race car... I even find myself trying to slip stream the ghost occasionally.
 
I am 100% in agreement with this, which is why I dont support a Rewind option and why ghost racing is (for me) addictive ... I know I should be able to just about beat the other race car... I even find myself trying to slip stream the ghost occasionally.

Actually the thing that makes ghost practice so great for solid drivers is what makes it so useless for less skilled drivers... ghost cars are only useful for those who can already do a lap over and over to within a 95% tolerance and that is pretty much those who already have it down about perfect.

For those who are more average drivers, their laps will differ enough that ghost racing is virtually useless to them.

One thing I keep seeing is that many people only talk about what features would work well for them forgetting to consider that not everyone is as skilled as they are.
 
if one of us messes up when lapping so close to the edge its not a 10th its seconds because you are at the edge and a mistake takes you way over it.

Spoken like a true Rewind user.

Check my post in Race Event sub forum in the GT5P forum, in the F2007 thread you will see how wrong you are. I push to the limit at all times, and frequently go over it, but I dont lose much time.

Rewind will not get you to the point of being able to push over the edge and keep up the pace, simply because when you (the rewind user) go over the edge you Rewind instead of knowing how to be good.
 
If you mess up, and just rewind to before the mess up, then you never get back up to speed, much less get up to speed efficiently.

Simple solution, don't rewind in that situation. It's not a forced feature, none of these anti arguments are taking that into a account it seems.

Rewind will not get you to the point of being able to push over the edge and keep up the pace, simply because when you (the rewind user) go over the edge you Rewind instead of knowing how to be good.
Where's the evidence that rewind will be used every time there's a mistake? You've made a baseless claim that attempts to cover every situation and every person, not very solid.
 
Simple solution, don't rewind in that situation. It's not a forced feature, none of these anti arguments are taking that into a account it seems.

If you decide to rewind

There is one example. (It was in bold in the original post)

Your attempts at defending rewind are baseless. I have proof of how not using rewind creates an insanely consistent driver. Prove the same for rewind.

"Using rewind, not the inclusion of the feature,"- copied and pasted from my original claim of USING rewind will hamper your ability to recover.
 
Last edited:
Spoken like a true Rewind user.

Check my post in Race Event sub forum in the GT5P forum, in the F2007 thread you will see how wrong you are. I push to the limit at all times, and frequently go over it, but I dont lose much time.

Rewind will not get you to the point of being able to push over the edge and keep up the pace, simply because when you (the rewind user) go over the edge you Rewind instead of knowing how to be good.

Ok, since I have played every GT and only a demo of Forza has been out I'm not sure what that means. I actually said I used the rewind to see how it was, so I am not sure what you are proclaiming. You are obviously here just to antagonize, why can't you add anything of substance like others who are against it. Make you're point constructively, and add something of substance. Attacking me is silly, I don't know you and I have just said things to try and build the thread. And all you have to add is that I am a rewind user, after I made the thread because I tried it.:dunce:
 
Sorry but rewind simply should not be included. I would want to have to redo a lap if i make a mistake. If I am too careless and keep making mistakes each lap then I should also need to pit for new tires and to refuel then go out and try again.

I can understand the rewind feature more in a game like dirt 2. It is just so easy to make a mistake there and in longer stages it can be frustrating to lose it at the end. But in GT there really aren't hazards like in rally games. If you make a mistake in gt it doesn't send you into a tree. You will end up on the grass or spin out at most. So the consequence is time lost generally.

Also it can be assumed that by adding a rewind feature people will exploit it. They will be more careless overtaking as well as cornering. Since there is no consequence to making a mistake. It will also affect offline races since the AI would need to drive perfectly at the limit the whole time instead of being "realistic" and actually making mistakes since the player will just exploit rewind to have the perfect lap every time. A 2 lap race may end up taking half an hour as a result in real time but it makes the game a lot less challenging using the rewind feature.

Online is affected too. Imagine the time trial boards. To get the best time you just would have to rewind till you get each corner right.

Anyhow rewind has its place in games where going over the limit as the consequence of instantly ending a tedius long event (ie. like in dirt or maybe even burnout) but the consequences are nowhere near as bad in GT due to runoffs etc. So in my opinion it only does more harm than good.
 
Last edited:
Ok, since I have played every GT and only a demo of Forza has been out I'm not sure what that means. I actually said I used the rewind to see how it was, so I am not sure what you are proclaiming. You are obviously here just to antagonize, why can't you add anything of substance like others who are against it. Make you're point constructively, and add something of substance. Attacking me is silly, I don't know you and I have just said things to try and build the thread. And all you have to add is that I am a rewind user, after I made the thread because I tried it.:dunce:

Easy now! I only attacked your attack on the English language, nothing more.

What have I added of substance? Rewind, IF USED, will hamper your ability to keep up your pace, even when you make mistakes. HAMPER doesn't mean you wont be able to, or won't be able to acquire the skill, it means your ability to recover and get back on pace will take longer to acquire. I shall not continue this discussion if you can not comprehend what I have said (which it is clear you haven't.) Others have caught on, their post are there for you to read.

In the post of mine you quoted, I proclaim that I am consistent and can push hard in the hardest car in GT5P to push hard in, and I can stay within tenths of my fastest lap, and I attrubute this to practicing without rewinding, without starting over, but simply driving like a real person would.
 
Last edited:
There is one example. (It was in bold in the original post)

Your attempts at defending rewind are baseless. I have proof of how not using rewind creates an insanely consistent driver. Prove the same for rewind.

Yes you said if, but then you go and say a rewinder will not become good because he'll just rewind. You're not taking the fact that it's optional into account.

My attempts at defending rewind are just dismantling irrational arguments. It basically comes down to rewind allows people to do the same things as lapping, but with more flexibility. That is indisputable. This means it has potential. From that point, I'm just fighting back the innate hatred against rewind's unfamiliar nature.

You don't have proof that not using rewind creates a good driver. You have proof that rewind is not needed to make a good driver, it's a huge difference. I don't have to prove that rewind [alone] will create a consistent driver anyway, only that it helps one along in learning to drive. If you asked me to prove that rewind won't create an inconsistent driver, I'd have to answer to that.

I'll take your challenge anyway though. It's simply a part of rewind's optional nature. For one, having it in the game allows one to perform all the old methods, so you can become consistent [using the old way], no argument. From there, use rewind. There is also the driver who uses rewind throughout his development and not just at the end; he too has the old methods available and thus can become consistent at anytime. However rewind can provide addition help in the form of greatly expanded experimentation and repetition. A driver using rewind would be able to take and retake a certain corner say 10 times faster than someone just lapping would. The rewinder would also be able to come back to the same spot every time to practice the corner. While going through the corner, he can take it however he wants, the right way, the wrong way, too fast, too slow, perfectly. Get in as many different experiments as is possible and get huge amounts of data on the car and how to drive it. He can then take what he's learned to a lap attempt/session and string it all together.
 
Yes you said if, but then you go and say a rewinder will not become good because he'll just rewind.

BS, quote me!

In your last two post you say I said stuff I didnt say. You should rely on other things in trying to prove me wrong.

For everyones sake- When your first sentence is a LIE then everything else you say is a LIE, ask Judge Judy.
 
Last edited:
BS, quote me!

In your last two post you say I said stuff I didnt say. You should rely on other things in trying to prove me wrong.

Again attacking an individual. I am on a mobile device so you'll have to bear with me. I am sorry you're so sensitive, maybe you can point out my spelling mistakes so I can care enough to correct them next time.

Look I am sure you are good in GT but I am also sure you are not as good as me, yes I just said that. I can stay consisten as can half the people in this room to within a half second of their lap over a span of 10 laps, this is common even among the best of real F1 drivers. A tenth is pretty amazing you should try out for real test driver honestly if you can do that over a 10 lap span, especially when the best fall off the pace for a lap or 2.

My point is that I find that rewind has helped me in a game which you don't care about gain more time than I would have just lapping. If you don't agree thats fine, you have made your point and can move on knowing you dominated the internet today.

Thanks for your contribution this thread.
 
Rewind will not get you to the point of being able to push over the edge and keep up the pace, simply because when you (the rewind user) go over the edge you Rewind instead of knowing how to be good.

There it is.

Re: It doesn't say rewind will prevent a driver form getting good.

Re:Re: It certainly sounds implied, you are saying that a rewinder will just opt for rewind at every chance yes?
 
Again attacking an individual.

Look I am sure you are good in GT but I am also sure you are not as good as me, yes I just said that.

Quote the attack...

Lets race! Name a time... (you def dont want to compare TT rankings)

At Exorcet- Nothing was implied. I said what I said... If you rewind when you go over the edge then you dont know how to be good.
 
Last edited:
Why ask that, you see my PSN, friend me its not that difficult unless you didn't read it like you did with the rest of the thread. Thats your problem, you only see what you want and them spew mess out of your mouth, trying to sound smug. Just add me and get on with it guy.

I think this thread has run its course. People got to state their opinions in a constructive manner. If anything it should be added to the wishlist of features thread, it is something you can choose not to enable of you wanted but honestly it probably won't be added The point is to be able to voice ones opinion just because you can, each side with the exception of ismoke was able to give the merits of each side and thats what this is for, not to bash people or put down a game. good stuff though
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No-one in the world can rewind the time for correcting a mistake. This feature is one of the most unlogical things mankind could invent (which will NEVER happen). It's a cool feature for games who aren't simulations, Burnout, NFS Undercover or something like that. But if a game wants to be seriuosly a simulation (Gran Turismo) this feature isn't needed. It has nothing to do with realism. So forget it. NO REWIND FEATURE. Full stop.
 
Whoa, Its over Commodus, little late.
 
Nonononononononononononono.

No.

:D
 
you go and say a rewinder will not become good because he'll just rewind.

It doesn't say rewind will prevent a driver form getting good.

What can I say...

I have a top 1000 time on Suzuka with multiple cars

I am trying to perfect with left foot braking.

Well, this race may be interesting. I would say the same thing as you, except I would replace top 1000 with top 20 or 30, and instead of Suzuka I would say any track on GT5P with about any car.

As for left foot braking, you better get it perfected before race time.
 
Geez, not this **** again... 👎
 
In June 2008 Race Driver: Grid was released in North America. The game featured an instant replay feature, now simply known as rewind, that allows the driver to rewind the race up to 10 seconds. In September 2009 DiRT 2 was released and it incorporated a rewind feature as well.

Forza 3, which will be released this Friday, also features rewind. Forza 3 was the very first "hardcore" simulator to feature rewind. Some who plan on purchasing Forza 3 raised concerns that rewind should not be included in a simulator.

Dan Greenawalt, director of Forza 3, responded, "I am a sim racing gamer as well, and I can’t go back to games that don’t have it now. When I play other racing games and they don’t have this rewind, I just feel like, ‘Are you kidding me? I mean, this is kind of old school."

That means about 99.9% of the racing game and racing simulators that are out there are old school, because only three titles currently have the feature, DiRT 2, Race Car Driver GRID, and Forza 3.

Many racing simulators and racing games have been released since the rewind feature first appeared in Racecar Driver Grid in 2008. Some are set to be released shortly and the developers have not hinted at rewind being featured in the software. These titles include Gran Turismo 5, GTR Evolution, Race On, Need For Speed: Shift, Race Pro, and Volvo: The Game among others.

Obviously, if rewind was such a revolutionary feature that made racing games or simulators that did not feature it feel "old school" certainly more titles would have it. But most don't. This has led many to believe that rewind is gimmicky and a 'fad' feature. If rewind was as revolutionizing as a colored racing line certainly it would have been in more racing games or simulators by now. But it hasn't.

Supporters of rewind say the feature can help those who are hopelessly lost and frustrated when trying to control a car in a racing simulator, and at the same time it can also help more advanced drivers to perfect their racing line or braking points without grinding away at three mile courses just to get a chance to try that problem corner again.

However those who promote rewind only speak of it's possible and usually minimal benefits when discussing the feature. They ignore or downplay any possible negative side effects that may arise when you give drivers the power to rewind time and instantly correct mistakes.

They claim that those who would abuse rewind are only hurting themselves. Therefore, they say, a few bad apples shouldn't spoil it for everyone. If someone wants to play around and never attempt to properly learn how to race it's their money, those who promote rewind say. The feature has too much going for it for it to be spoiled by a few insubordinates who would abuse it. The positive far outweighs the negative they claim.

Is there any facts to back up these claims? Just how much good does rewind really do to help a driver versus the bad? Is the feature as revolutionizing as Dan Greenawalt claims it to be that all racing software that does not have it is old school, out of date and not in touch with reality?

I will attempt to find the answers to this and more in the following.

The following are the keys to being a competent race car driver
  • Discipline
  • Rhythm
  • Wisdom
  • Preperation
  • Anticipation
  • Reaction

Lets start with discipline. What exactly does discipline have to do with being a competent race car driver? A disciplined driver is not easily tempted into over driving his car in order to catch a driver or to fend off a pursing driver. A well disciplined driver is not tempted into over driving corners in order to put up a good qualifying time. Becoming a disciplined driver is accomplished by learning to drive within the limits of your car and your own driving talent. This usually takes many many hours if not years to master.

Does rewind teach discipline? No, it doesn't. In fact a driver who frequently uses rewind has no need to learn discipline.

Rhythm. A quarterback hits 10 straight passes. He is in rhythm. A basketball player makes 10 straight shots. He is in rhythm. How do opposing coaches try to break this rhythm? They call timeout. Rewind destroys any sense of rhythm a driver can ever hope to develop.

A driver who gets into a rhythm can click off laps within a tenth of each other. Those who use rewind ruin any chance they have at developing any sort of rhythm.

Wisdom. The definition of wisdom: "the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight."

Sadly, rewind does not promote nor does it help a driver gain wisdom on the racetrack.

A father is trying to teach his son how to race around a small home made Karting track. His son is making strides but is having trouble keeping it on track. The father grabs a bucket of water and a few seconds before his son comes zooming by he dumps all the water on the track. His son comes by a couple of seconds later, hits the water and spins out. Upset, his son steps out of the kart and runs up to his dad.

"Why did you do that!"

His father replies, "In racing there are no warnings. You prepare, you anticipate, and you react."

You prepare by practicing, either by yourself on an empty track or in a test with other cars. You anticipate anything and you react properly. You can only acquire this trait through many hours if not years of racing in various conditions. There are just far too many situations that may present themselves in motor racing and rewinding them all is not only pointless but will not help you get any better.

Sadly, again rewind does not help a driver with these three keys to racing. It does not help you prepare. It doesn't help you to anticipate and it doesn't help you to react.

Next, does anything from Gran Turismo's past hint that Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi might implement rewind in future Gran Turismo titles?

In Gran Turismo 4 there was not an option to restart championship races even though this option is in other simulators. Obviously Kazunori Yamauchi wants a driver to experience a realistic championship were sometimes bad things happens and you don't always win. If this reality was not important to him surely there would be a restart option in Gran Turismo 4.

a_med_yamauchi1.jpg

Nothing suggests Kazunori Yamauchi will implement rewind

Take for example what happened to Lewis Hamilton this year at the Italian Grand Prix. He was running 3rd with just a lap to go but made a slight error that ended up with his car in the guardrails, his day finished.

If this happened to someone in a simulator that featured rewind would they rewind? Most likely.

But lets think about what rewinding this moment means.

Would finishing on the podium be as satisfying if the driver completed the entire race without the use of rewind? Would the thrill of victory really be as great and rewarding as it could be if the driver rewinded errors during the race?

Before we anoint rewind the next great assist in driving sims lets think about the negatives and repercussions and not just the few positives.

Those who promote rewind say it can help walk new drivers through racing until they get better and dont need rewind anymore.

This is laughable because even the best drivers make mistakes and would like to rewind their mistakes. Mistakes are part of life and the threat that they loom and may ruin your race helps make a better driver then rewind which lets a driver race with no discipline or the need to anticipate a possible situation on the track.

The best way to learn how to not make a mistake in a driving simulator is to practice practice practice, learn the limits of your car and your own driving, because your going to make alot and I mean alot of different individual mistakes and the best way to fix these is not to rewind but to learn how to avoid them all together.

The question people who make mistakes should be asking themselves is why did I make the mistake in the first place?

If they ran into a car going into a corner they may just say "I braked too late." and then they rewind, and brake earlier.

Was braking too late the only mistake? Thats what rewind teaches them. The truth is he most likely was also over aggressive. He was probably careless too by getting into the corner so deep, risking contact and damage. But rewind teaches him that he just braked too late. Now that he can instantly rewind and just brake a little earlier he does not learn patience nor is he punished. He faces no consequences.

As a learning tool rewind is about as helpful as training wheels on a bicycle. Lets get past the kiddie stage and get into big boy racing. No baby-sitting here. Kazunori Yamauchi thinks differently then Dan Greenawalt. Greenawalt designs his games so that people who have no real interest in learning how to drive the cars properly can still find some enjoyment in Forza.

DanGreenawalt1.jpg

Dan Greenawalt appears more interested in Forza being trendy and on top of the latest fads then what's best for the development of drivers.

Reasons why drivers make mistakes:

- Driver is not familiar with a course
- Driver is not familiar with overtaking opportunities on a scourse
- Driver is not familiar with the limits of his car
- Driver does not display discipline and knowingly over drives car or tries a risky move

How do you try and fix these mistakes? Practice.

Those who promote rewind say fix them by rewinding. The problem is there are millions and millions of situations that may present themselves and rewinding them all will simply not fix the problem. A new driver will eventually stop using rewind because he will find out that he keeps making mistakes because he simply does not know why he makes them.

There are thousands if not millions of ways to crash on your own or into another car. Rewinding one crash and you'll end up just crashing slightly differently the next time.

The key is to teach yourself discipline and to practice the course and understand the limits of your car and those around you whether they be AI or real people.

In short, there are too many ways a driver can make a mistake and too many variables in order for rewind to be as effective as those who promote it say it is.

If a driver does not understand why he made the mistake rewinding will never ever help him get better. It's not as simple as saying "I just braked too late". It is rarely if ever that simple.

I can remember a demo of Dan Greenawalt racing at Lemans in Forza 3. He made a mistake, and then decided to rewind. He let the game play out. He crashed again.

Oops.

So he rewinded again.

This time he made the corner but made heavy contact with other cars and went off course a bit.

How much did he really learn by rewinding? Little if anything.

Gran Turismo already has a very fine tuned system for helping new drivers get onto their feet. It's called the license system. This system covers everything from the extreme basics such as starting and stopping to advanced driving techniques like drafting and overtaking.

Lets look at possible uses of rewind

- Someone brakes too late in a corner, misses it. They rewind
- Solution already in GT: colored racing line that tells you when to brake

- Someone wants to practice a turn or section of the track without running the entire track so they use rewind
- Solution already in GT: None. But a sector trainer as seen in GTR2 would be a better solution here as it is more precise and less cumbersome then rewind and gives you better feedback, including your time through a sector.

- Someone trys to pass an AI car and crashes so they rewind
- Solution already in GT: Many license tests and challenges that ask you to pass cars cleanly

THE POINT

Gran Turismo is a simulator

If your not willing to learn how to race properly and you want rewind to baby-sit you through the experience then Gran Turismo is not for you.

Gran Turismo already has MORE THEN ENOUGH assists to help you get better at car racing. A gimmicky feature like rewind is not needed.

Rewind is really saying "screw trying to learn how to do it right, with rewind there is no need to practice or try to hone your skills, you can jump in and go racing without having to worry about the consequences."

Is that what Gran Turismo should be saying to casuals and first time racers?

Learning from your mistakes is part of life. Giving a new driver the ability to instantly correct mistakes does not teach them good driving habits for the long run.

If a driver has the ability to instantly rewind any mistake he makes will he be more cautious the next time he comes up on a similiar situation? Maybe. Maybe not. But one thing is for sure, in the back of his mind he knows he has rewind to back him up so he can be wreckless if he wishes.

Reminds me of a NASCAR 2003 race a few years back. About two dozen drivers, including me, got together one night to run a 400 mile race at Daytona. Fearing that a large crash could ruin the long race for everyone the boss turned damage off.

The result?

Drivers became wreckless. They kept trying stupid moves that they would never normally try if they knew their cars could get damage.

The same will happen with rewind. No consequences does not encourage better driving.
 
^^^^^

/Thread.

Agreed with all points there. There is no way that rewind will be a feature in GT. Just push the start button and hit restart. Or quit and do it over again. There's a way to learn the game...
 
There is one example. (It was in bold in the original post)

Your attempts at defending rewind are baseless. I have proof of how not using rewind creates an insanely consistent driver. Prove the same for rewind.

"Using rewind, not the inclusion of the feature,"- copied and pasted from my original claim of USING rewind will hamper your ability to recover.

You are assuming the Rewind user will hit that button the instant the car feels out of control which is a bad assumption.

Turn 1 Suzuka is a great example, run wide and you are in the kitty litter with no choice but to finish the lap or you could hit rewind and start the corner again from back at the start finish line.

If the driver is only slightly out of control there is much to be gained by not hitting the rewind and continue to push through, attempting to regain control and grow the skills.

You see the difference between our logics ? My interpretation simply allows more attempts at a corner once things are beyond control.
You are assuming the rewinder will restart as soon as things are not perfect.

If its only 1 corner that is problematic, then the rewinder would end up with more attempts at working out his/her best approach, entry, line and exit compared to someone who must wait 2 mins between each attempt.

Who will get better faster ? The person who is able to spend more time practicing that corner in a given period. The caveat is that the person will only rewind when things are beyond control and that is purely up to the driver... .when your in the gravel... you are in the gravel.
You both stand exactly the same chance of staying out of the gravel.
When you both end up in the gravel the rewinder will learn faster how to stay out of it.

If the rewinder chooses to hit that button the moment that the corner is not perfect then I agree with you that person will never learn.

Really .. .thats the end of story right there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back