Acura NSX Super Lap

• Thread starter yannagas
  • 184 comments
on Hill corner, if you always lose your tail go through it at higher gear to reduce oversteer. if you understeer wide onto grass on exit, change down to lower gear to rotate the car inward. if you experience both, change down a gear or two to induce oversteer to turn into that corner and as soon as your car turned, quickly change up a gear or two to stabilise your car. i often use left foot brake while i apply throttle and what it does is gives front end more brake bias since your rear driving wheel has less brake because your giving throttle so you can decelerate without rear stepping out.

Yeah, those are good tips, but I don't think it's really the corners or cars fault anymore, it's pretty much in my head. When I know that corner is up ahead I just start to panic, and do things that I shouldn't do. Like do an U-turn and drive away to avoid a meeting with that corner. :lol:

JujiroMatsuda: 9271795
see what happens when you share your setups? everyones into 12s & 13s, ahead of me:grumpy: lol

on serious note, all top 10 drivers arent seem to be using rear wings, except doodle (because he is using my setup). some are just using front aero kit, like Takeuchi. some are using not all. my belief was that since rear wing doesnt add any PP and rear downforce stabilises your car and increases your traction and AIR IS FREE TO USE - so to me its too stupid not to take advantage of.

if you feel that your car has more understeer than you like you can always add little bit of ballast at the back to eliminate it easily and allocate freed up PP to increase your hp. but i personally prefer this setup because of its predictable handling, with slight understeer, i can throw the car around on corners really aggressively and still be in control and since a mid-fielder like me could get into top 50 surely the setup must be damn good!

custom wheels seem to be a good thing since they fixed the bug - i stayed away from custom wheels...when i installed them on my mclaren f1 it was disaster, 630hp on 235/45 skinny back wheels - not good! but they fixed that bug so you dont lose any tyre width now. i see Takeuchi did install custom wheels now, +1 inch by the looks of it and he has gone more than a second faster. might not make you noticeably quicker but certainly wont make you any slower for sure.

The reason none of the top drivers save one have a wing less car is due the speed reduction, PD programed in drag into the wings in gt6. It does affect your top speed and to some degree acceleration now.
we wont know exactly how much it affects cars untill PD guves us the speed test tracks and we can get dead on accurate times for distances. I know that when Bandit tested my VW tune he lost mist than a second with the wing.

Hey jujiro, can you suggest how can i reduce a bit of understeering with your tune? Thanks

basically 2 ways i think - reduce rear downforce or put some weight at the back.

id put 10-20kg ballast weight at the very back and change spring rate accordingly, 7.30/8.70.

i recommend the weight solution, more weight at the back makes car more oversteer and at same time increases the rear traction also.

Last edited:
The reason none of the top drivers save one have a wing less car is due the speed reduction, PD programed in drag into the wings in gt6. It does affect your top speed and to some degree acceleration now.
we wont know exactly how much it affects cars untill PD guves us the speed test tracks and we can get dead on accurate times for distances. I know that when Bandit tested my VW tune he lost mist than a second with the wing.

the reduced top speed due to drag was also present in GT5 as you may know, or unless you mean there is MORE drag in GT6 then im quite disappointed if it were true. even with more drag the benefit should outweigh the drawback. well, im a logical person so i shall try what my times gona be after i removed those wings. not today though, its too late and i need sleep, and its too cold, 9 degrees even though its summer here in new zealand.lol

basically 2 ways i think - reduce rear downforce or put some weight at the back.

id put 10-20kg ballast weight at the very back and change spring rate accordingly, 7.30/8.70.

i recommend the weight solution, more weight at the back makes car more oversteer and at same time increases the rear traction also.

2.14.020, i will try out your tip. Still margin for a low 2.13, what a setup ;) where can i vote it for the tune of the week?

@JujiroMatsuda I'm not sure if they increased the drag amount, but unlike gt5 where it only really affected the top speed it does affect acceleration in gt6.
I noticed this when doing some tune testing on deep forest coming out of the last corner with wing I could exit at 165 km/h and hit the start/fish at 203 km/h with out a wing I could exit at 160 km/h but hit the start/ finish line at 210 km/h.
Breaking point speed on strait
Wing 215 km/h
No wing 225 km/h
The amount it down force had little effect,
Aero of 5 TS on strait was 218 km/h, force of 20 TS was 215 km/h

@JujiroMatsuda I'm not sure if they increased the drag amount, but unlike gt5 where it only really affected the top speed it does affect acceleration in gt6.
I noticed this when doing some tune testing on deep forest coming out of the last corner with wing I could exit at 165 km/h and hit the start/fish at 203 km/h with out a wing I could exit at 160 km/h but hit the start/ finish line at 210 km/h.
Breaking point speed on strait
Wing 215 km/h
No wing 225 km/h
The amount it down force had little effect,
Aero of 5 TS on strait was 218 km/h, force of 20 TS was 215 km/h

I didn't think it made much of a difference - about 124 mph across the s/f line on start up of lap with or without wing. Clearly you've done more extensive testing, so I'll try without the wing again.

10 km/h is not much when converted to mph maybe 4 mph and 5 km/h is even less like 1.5 mph so you may not see much of a change using mph. But if you factor that 1/2-2 mph on every strait on the track it adds up. A solid close ratio gearing also helps alot. I did my testing with the same set up just minus the wing so same suspension same transmission so I could get a accurate comparison on the difference it made.

I didn't do a ton of testing maybe 20 laps worth.
I do know that a wing on drag cars shows them down, tenth our so on the 1/4, while in gt5 it was the opposite, the added grip reduced time.

The same reasoning for not adding weight can be used for the wing. With so many corners you want maximum corner speed and traction.

Even if you lose 10kph top speed, it makes very little difference (.1s a lap at most) and is well compensated throughout the rest of the lap.

On a track with long straights maybe no wing, add weight and increase power. But with the exception of ovals I never add ballast or remove wing. Unless it's a fwd and in that case I never use a wing in the back.

The same reasoning for not adding weight can be used for the wing. With so many corners you want maximum corner speed and traction.

Even if you lose 10kph top speed, it makes very little difference (.1s a lap at most) and is well compensated throughout the rest of the lap.
Yep I agree - started with the Acura '91 I won but could only get Bronze after multiple laps, spins, etc. Bought a Type R '02 which was heavier and had less power but got Silver on 1st lap & smashed (for me) Gold a couple of laps later by being able to maintain cornering speeds better! Now to try one of these set-ups posted to see how fast I can go with my DS3...

@hornet_burnout that is a solid argument, except right now in gt6 and this may never change, the wing slows your acceleration to your top speed so while the top speed difference is not much combine that with the increased time to the speed and it's a big factor, if it wasn't than we would see more players in the top ten/fiftywith wings on the cars.
Even in short straits where the speed achieved is the same, the wing less car will get to the corner first and get through the corner first. It may be a wash on some car/track combos short tracks with lots of corners and no long straits I'm sure a wing will out perform ballast, but if there are more than two straits over 100 m long ballast will out do a wing, currently.

Last edited:
The similarity between wing and ballast is that both add weight to the car. But in a different way.

A wing is supposed to hinder acceleration and top speed (drag) but makes up for it in the corners. Mostly in rwd cars and this low grip tyres, allowing for higher cornering speed and more traction out of corners. Some "aliens" however, can corner without a wing as fast as a normal person with one, and take advantage of the added top speed. Also, the more a driver gets used to a track, the less wing help he'll need. But in the end it's a personal choice. IRL and in game, since it doesn't affect PP. And I guess now we know why ;)

Ballast will reduce acceleration and add weight and some grip but only to a point. No mater how more "composed" or clean it makes the driver feel it also adds mass and inertia that will push the car to the outside. If someone is more comfortable and faster driving with ballast, they should recognize that they either have to tinker with the setup, or with their driving style. Because the added weigh will hurt everything else. So IRL if it's a "normal" car, never use ballast. Only very unbalanced cars will benefit from some well placed ballast.

In game however, the "advantage" of using ballast is the PP rating, and the fact that you can add power. More weight = less acceleration, but power can compensate if you have the traction for it, and will improve top speed, if you have the room for it.

Bottom line, it's all a mater of personal preference and skill. The fastest setup will likely be undrivable to many, while the smoothest will never be the ultimate fastest one.

tried without wings. i couldnt drive the thing!lol the fastest REDLAP i could come up with was 2:16.8s. not a single valid lap i could manage. without wings the car is now more unstable, less traction, now practically every corner can eat me alive now. i tried with various suspension settings but i couldnt even come close to my own lap time. i dont know how these aliens driving this without any aerodynamic assistance:odd: i guess theres still a loooong way to go before i could even join the bottom end of elites.

my biggest enemy is now Raffael (im not Roger Federer) im losing over a second there. its the first challenging corners i have to negotiate and im losing a second as soon as a lap just begun, its very disheartening... come to think of it, it actually looks like Eu-Rouge, my worst corner. i gave up on my last TT on GT5 because of this corner, and i gave up on Matterhorn because of that first chicane...

its sad, frustration already overpowering the enjoyment and once that begins i wont be able to improve my time any more:(

I did an experiment with this seasonal. Seeing that the NSX is one of my favorite cars, I have all 16 of the stock versions including the Type S, Type S Zero, and Type R models.

This is more of a test drive comparing the different models more than anything else. Basically the test was to see how far up the PP ladder I had to go in order to achieve the gold prize.

All cars are run completely stock with no oil changes or additions. SRF off, bumper cam/cockpit cam (where applicable). ABS 1, MT, CS tires (per regulation), TCS and all other settings off.

When I started this, Ascari was basically new to me. Not sure of the total number of laps run prior to attempting this Seasonal, but they were mainly in career mode or some practice runs. It wasn't turning out to be one of my favorite tracks, but after running 60-70 laps during this Seasonal, it's become one of my favorites.

I gave myself 10 laps in each car to set my best time. Here are the best laps for each car:

• NSX '90 / PP 439 / 2:42.516
  • NSX '93 / PP 439 / 2:40.694
  • NSX '95 / PP 439 / 2:38.865

At this point I forgot that the NSX '91 was actually listed under 'Acura' not Honda. It actually has lower PP than the first three, but I'll post my time anyway. Apparently I was learning the track as the '91 is slower in comparison, but my time was faster except for the NSX '95:

• NSX '91 / PP 433 / 2:39.853

And back in order:

• NSX '97 / PP 443 / 2:36.383
  • NSX '99 / PP 443 / 2:35.570

And the car that got me the gold:

• NSX Type S '97 / PP 445 / 2:32.937

Not sure what any of this means, but I got the gold, 7th car up the list. Thought I would have to get to the Type R's before getting the gold.

Finally tested the remainder of the cars for this seasonal. Just as I thought, my times improved with the higher PP cars. Here are the rest:

• NSX Type S '99 / PP 446 / 2:34.195
  • NSX Coupe '97 (U.S.) / PP 446 / 2:34.269
  • NSX '04 (U.S.) / PP 447 / 2:33.755
  • NSX '01 / PP 449 / 2:32.463
  • NSX Type S Zero '97 / PP 454 / 2:34.397
  • NSX Type S Zero '99 / PP 454 / 2:32.410
  • NSX Type S '01 / PP 454 / 2:28.847
  • NSX Type R '92 / PP 463 / 2:28.154
  • NSX Type R '02 / PP 468 / 2:27.142
My Type R '02 time might have been faster, but driving in the cockpit view is more difficult to find the apexes. My fastest lap with the Type R '02 currently has me sitting 11,118th.

Next I may experiment with some tunes and see if I can shave off more time.

A little late to the party but I used @Motor City Hami 's tune for a 2:20.08 using only ABS1 and no other aids.

I tried the tune but I'm still faster completely stock. Not sure why that is, but even after 10 laps with the tune my times are consistently 4 seconds slower. Maybe it's all of the sequential shifting.

A little late to the party but I used @Motor City Hami 's tune for a 2:20.08 using only ABS1 and no other aids.

Not bad. 👍

I tuned the car myself and have gotten to a 2:20.022 for now with ABS1 only, I may try a few more runs at it again tomorrow.

I think I have added more mileage to the car just on the run up to the chicane than I have done in full laps. That 🤬 annoying bump dead center of the perfect line through it. :boggled: :lol:

Last edited:
I tried the tune but I'm still faster completely stock. Not sure why that is, but even after 10 laps with the tune my times are consistently 4 seconds slower. Maybe it's all of the sequential shifting.

Actually, if there is a car that needs little tuning is the NSX R '02 in these tyres.

Improved brakes, had to soften it to 4/4. Suspension, and I'm running it pretty soft, and little camber to improve traction. Only thing I see fitting to improve is gearing and wing, if you need it. Weight, but then had to limit power.

It has a perfect balance (not 50/50, but as stated before that's actually good in this case) and is close to the pp limit, so it's not that odd to be more comfortable and faster on a stock car than on a tweaked one.

Actually, if there is a car that needs little tuning is the NSX R '02 in these tyres.

Improved brakes, had to soften it to 4/4. Suspension, and I'm running it pretty soft, and little camber to improve traction. Only thing I see fitting to improve is gearing and wing, if you need it. Weight, but then had to limit power.

It has a perfect balance (not 50/50, but as stated before that's actually good in this case) and is close to the pp limit, so it's not that odd to be more comfortable and faster on a stock car than on a tweaked one.
Tuning makes every car faster, even if it's just transmission, adding "free" drivetrain parts, and LSD tuning. Being close to the PP limit means you can't take advantage of the preferred power upgrades which limits the improvements due to tuning but you are always faster with tuning.

Tuning makes every car faster, even if it's just transmission, adding "free" drivetrain parts, and LSD tuning. Being close to the PP limit means you can't take advantage of the preferred power upgrades which limits the improvements due to tuning but you are always faster with tuning.

Sure, that why I do it, but in this case it's not surprising some people get better results with a "smother" stock ride.

Sure, that why I do it, but in this case it's not surprising some people get better results with a "smother" stock ride.

I'm not much of a tuner, but maybe starting out with a lower PP car like one of the Type S Zeros can get you closer to the 470 limit with some average engine upgrades.

I know that the top times have been tuned '02 Type Rs, but has anyone tuned anything else and broke into the top 1,000?

Today I tried to start tuning at the bottom of the PP ranking with the '90, but couldn't break the 2:29 mark. I might try some tunes with one of the '97s & '99s and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
improved by 0.004s! yay!lol

edit: spent over 2 hours just on Rafael, only once i managed to get half a car length of Takeuchis ghost. stress surpassed enjoyment already long time ago, i ended up hating the track, hating the car, my body and mind absolutely refusing to drive any longer. i gave it a try to improve but i cannot possibly go any faster.:(

i need a tutor teach me how to negotiate rafael, eu-rouge...

Last edited:
improved by 0.004s! yay!lol

edit: spent over 2 hours just on Rafael, only once i managed to get half a car length of Takeuchis ghost. stress surpassed enjoyment already long time ago, i ended up hating the track, hating the car, my body and mind absolutely refusing to drive any longer. i gave it a try to improve but i cannot possibly go any faster.:(

i need a tutor teach me how to negotiate rafael, eu-rouge...

I'm with you on this one. Raphael's killing me. I don't know how anyone does that with consistency. I spent so much time on it the other day that I started to forget how to do the rest of the lap. Ugghh!

If you lap with just ABS 1, have a laptime on this seasonal around mine (2:22.29 it was 2:25.334), and want a bit of competition to extend the life of the seasonals a little bit while we wait for PD to bless us with more content, then please add me (PSN: icleolion). Sorry, not looking to fill my friends list with the aliens amongst us or those too much slower than my time, just looking for motivation to do more laps (especially around circuits as awesome as this one)! :)

EDIT: Thanks for the add @ccaranna, your 2:24.921 has given me something to do tonight 👍

Last edited:
Back