Advanced physics + somehow worse AI = >:(

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devedander
  • 175 comments
  • 16,413 views
Messages
4,323
Has anyone figured out the AI pattern in this game yet? It seems to have been programmed to try and PIT you in anything but the loosest turns.

It's one thing if I am driving agressively and cut off the AI's line, but I have lost so many races now due to driving a completely unoccupied line only to have the AI not only RAM my rear quarter but continue to just drive right through me...

I feel a bump and as my car starts to go out multiple more bumps and while I try to slow and correct I get pushed in an entire 120 degree spin by the AI driver... OVER AND OVER....

It feels like I not only have to drive the course aggressively but I have to dodge potential PIT manuevers from my blind spot all the time... this combined with the more sensitve physics engine and I am getting very frustrated :grumpy:
 
Same here. Just left the game for a while after the AI had PIT:ed me several times in the last 5-6 races. Very annoying. :grumpy:

Since I am in maybe 2nd place when it happens, when I spin out, the rest of the cars also hit me for good measure, making me spin again or leaving me facing the wrong direction against the wall. 👎

EDIT: Actually I've come to the point when I'm considering abandoning my wheel set up in favour of the DS3 just to be able to counter-steer faster. ..and yes, I do know that I suck at playing with the wheel and that this is the real issue.

EDIT 2: Consider this post venting frustration over being a poor GT5-driver. :lol:
 
Last edited:
Thank God it's not just me.
I thought I had pissed them off somehow!
I went from 1st to 8th in one race, because the 2nd car pitted me right into a corner, and he was stuck behind me.
I kept trying to reverse, but he just kept bumping me, trying to push his way through me to get out of the corner.
Eventually, after several back and forth switches from reverse to forward, I was able to break free from him.
And at the very next corner that SOB ran me off the road and put me in last place.
It seems like the only strategy is to get out front as quickly as possible and stay away from the demolition derby crew.
 
Yeah they made the AI more aggressive as it seems...
the cars bump you from the rear at a turning point and you lose control and spin off the road. :grumpy:

It also makes me mad when they do.
 
No problems here.

Ditto. Smooth racing line + knowledge about how fat n' long your car is + not blaming other cars when you cut them up = happy times.
 
Has anyone figured out the AI pattern in this game yet? It seems to have been programmed to try and PIT you in anything but the loosest turns.

It's one thing if I am driving agressively and cut off the AI's line, but I have lost so many races now due to driving a completely unoccupied line only to have the AI not only RAM my rear quarter but continue to just drive right through me...

I feel a bump and as my car starts to go out multiple more bumps and while I try to slow and correct I get pushed in an entire 120 degree spin by the AI driver... OVER AND OVER....

It feels like I not only have to drive the course aggressively but I have to dodge potential PIT manuevers from my blind spot all the time... this combined with the more sensitve physics engine and I am getting very frustrated :grumpy:



try to brake a little earlier.. maby is that the IE dont respond fast enough to avoid you
 
Yeah they made the AI more aggressive as it seems...
the cars bump you from the rear at a turning point and you lose control and spin off the road. :grumpy:

It also makes me mad when they do.

More like dumber.
 
Ditto. Smooth racing line + knowledge about how fat n' long your car is + not blaming other cars when you cut them up = happy times.

Spot on.

They do block a bit going in to turns though... not a problem until your fully committed under braking and then the AI just eases half a car width sideways and you hit them... cheeky :lol:
 
Stay away from other racers and be cautious until the field breaks up, just like in real life, and there are no problems. If you accidentally rear-end an AI car I find they move over to let you pass on the left a lot of the time.

However, it IS a problem in the Special events, especially the Top Gear ones where it's really crowded and you have to pass like a madman to get golds. I can't count how many times attempting the intermediate Top Gear Lotus challenge that I executed a decent pass, just to have the AI ram or spin me out approaching the next corner, even when I attempt to make small corrections to steer away from them, Very Annoying!!
 
I've noticed this too. For example the intermediate top gear special event in the Lotus. If you exit the left hander after the follow through side by side with an AI car, it will always PIT you.

Edit: Seems GT master has found the same.
 
I've noticed this too. For example the intermediate top gear special event in the Lotus. If you exit the left hander after the follow through side by side with an AI car, it will always PIT you.

Edit: Seems GT master has found the same.

Yeah the Top Gear track seems to have really aggressive a.i., coupled with the fact that it dqs you if you go off and it's quite annoying.
 
Stay away from other racers and be cautious until the field breaks up, just like in real life, and there are no problems. If you accidentally rear-end an AI car I find they move over to let you pass on the left a lot of the time.

However, it IS a problem in the Special events, especially the Top Gear ones where it's really crowded and you have to pass like a madman to get golds. I can't count how many times attempting the intermediate Top Gear Lotus challenge that I executed a decent pass, just to have the AI ram or spin me out approaching the next corner, even when I attempt to make small corrections to steer away from them, Very Annoying!!

This is where I am seeing it most also... for instance TGTT 2 with the Lotus race... you HAVE to aggressively pass all the time to win this one, but during both constant radius turns the AI gets into me from behind almost EVERY TIME and I am not doing anything crazy or wrong... usually I am trying to take the inside racing line to get around some slow AI guys. If I go faster I will loose grip and go out into the AI guys I am passing, if I don't go faster I get taken out from behind.

Also coming out of these turns the AI will push me off the track to the outside! In the first CRT on TGTT you exit on the inside which is then the outside for the next turn... I am coming out an an AI car that is not anywhere near even with me but back off my quarter panel or even completly behind me finds a way to bet up next to me and nudge me repeatedly until I am at least two wheels off the track.

I see some people saying that it's not an issues and you can dodge them, it's possible but it shouldn't have to be... I mean I literally feel like I am a peewee on a playground of schoolyard bullies and the only way to win is to constantly dodge their idiocy. I don't even mind so much that maybe they don't give up a line when they should but when they hit you then REPEATEDLY hit you over and over again and totally drive through you... WTF is that?

I don't even remember it being this bad in previous GT games...
 
I haven't been pitted yet...maybe because I'm a little more aggressive than the AI is. :lol:

Eidt: But that does seem like it's rather annoying.
 
I haven't been pitted yet...maybe because I'm a little more aggressive than the AI is. :lol:

Eidt: But that does seem like it's rather annoying.

Cant be aggressive in the top gear special events though. Hit someone and it's dsq.
 
the AI feels like they were made to think you dont exist on the track, not acknowledging your presence on the track just ramming straight through you and not moving out of the way.
 
Cant be aggressive in the top gear special events though. Hit someone and it's dsq.

Yeah, even though I drive aggressively I don't actually try to hit other drivers. Did that by accident with the Samba bus Top Gear special event and got a dsq. :(
 
Yeah I have been hit a couple times. What annoys me is that I try to make them roll out and it is like pushing a zamboni around the track with a go kart.
 
Had a few 'pits' but none of them to bad, generally the A.I seems to have improved in my opinion.
 
Lol, I find that the AI in the Top Gear test drive like they need the money to pay this months rent. I had a field day taking advantage of the AI in the Samba bus thing, but I still don't really know the course and that Lotus is a thing to wrestle with, I'm learning to handle that car before I attempt beating the AI on that course. I like the smartly aggressive AI. But I realized that if you are in their line they will try to take it back, sometimes going wide to pass you back, which is weird. Haven't been pitted yet, well once but I didn't know where I was going, and clipped the front end of the other Bus. I hope they get much more aggressive. They have tried to block me out, that Top Gear course is no good for racing with this many vehicles.
 
This happens to me every time I try to finish the VW Samba special event. At some point - usually when things are going great - some idiot in a seemingly tuned Samba comes up from behind and hits my rear quarter and I spin out. I am ****** furious right now after being rammed again and again for the past hour or so. And to top it off, the few times I have accidently hit someone, I get disced... Very nice!
 
I have found the AI to be much better and IMO the best of any racing game. What is good is that some seem to be aggressive while some are not, in a race the AI "drivers" all seem to have different driving styles. I found myself in one position trying to overtake a Mazda who was in second place, he kept blocking me and trying to run me out of the road ala Ayrton Senna when I finally got past him the one in first didn't give me any trouble at all while overtaking him in the straight. The only thing I find is that the AI for the most part is slower than me on corners which gives me an advantage. I drive very clean and avoid all contact if possible.
 
hahaha i love it.... firstly the AI are NOT driving like you're not there... they ARE rather more aggressive but i think that's a great thing... frustrating at times?? you bet... but before you go screaming about how the AI is garbage and taking you out "like you're not there" i would suggest watching the replay.... In 99% of cases you will see that you caused it! That's what i did the few times i was SURE i had taken the correct line... I was wrong... and thankfully (although at time frustratingly) when they punt you during cornering you actually get affected (as do the AI cars too) i saw one punt another right in front of me that sent them off in different directions! Thus far i am very very happy with the physics (absolutely awesome with a G27) and the AI which is aggressive and competitive (as long as you drive with all aids off and not cheating by using super soft race tyres) drive with that setup and you are in for a good race with them!!
 
Yeah they made the AI more aggressive as it seems...
the cars bump you from the rear at a turning point and you lose control and spin off the road. :grumpy:

It also makes me mad when they do.

What people need to remember that AIs are just the drivers. Cars, the vehicle they drive, are mostly hefty beast (with few exceptions) and most of them weigh in the order of tonnes and braking or/and turning a car is still an impossible task especially when the car in front sits too close and brakes too early or unexpectedly. The best way to create a realistic situation is, as you would in real life, be aware of the cars around you. Here's a video showing not only are the AIs reacting to your car but also other AI car(s):

[YOUTUBEHD]LA5jIuoP4bs[/YOUTUBEHD]
 
I think the AI is pretty good this time round. If nothing else, if you cut it up, it plays just like an online player and punts you off :)

But generally, I find driving "properly" around the AI leads to quite competitive and fair racing (assuming you haven't taken a Zonda to the Sunday CuP!). But if you don't know the course and just "use the force" and therefore drive erratically, the AI will run into you just like real life. Practice the courses more, or back off the AI a bit....

Rotor.
 
This happens to me every time I try to finish the VW Samba special event. At some point - usually when things are going great - some idiot in a seemingly tuned Samba comes up from behind and hits my rear quarter and I spin out. I am ****** furious right now after being rammed again and again for the past hour or so. And to top it off, the few times I have accidently hit someone, I get disced... Very nice!

Lol:D tuned samba 👍

They either just hugged your ass on a long straight to draft, or they got out of the last corner faster than you did (better line).

The ai is on rails on the top gear events, same exact line every single time, I assume it's done on purpose, its nothing like that in A spec races.
There every car will swerve or brake to avoid you (as much as realistically possible) and will even let you have your lane if you managed to squeeze in next to him (side by side) to avoid a collision or trading paint.


I think the whole point of that event is to force you to try clean driving and having a good line through a corner , and to drive the point home that accelerating too much + cornering = oversteer out the wazoo.

Just like the mercedes driving school has a heavy car with a long braking distance and tons of understeer to show you that breaking while turning = bad and that accelerating with an FF car while turning causes alot of understeer.
And the uphill sections/long straights after corners + bad acceleration show the importance of getting a good line through a corner to exit it as fast as possible, if you don't you lose alot of time on the straight/uphill part.
(well that and the events teach you the nordschleife, which is new in gt as far as I can remember)

Thats what I like about GT, the events and licences teach you how to drive better and more consistent.
Big difference from nfs that just teaches you to drive like a maniac + derp derp hit the apex bro.
 
Last edited:
hahaha i love it.... firstly the AI are NOT driving like you're not there... they ARE rather more aggressive but i think that's a great thing... frustrating at times?? you bet... but before you go screaming about how the AI is garbage and taking you out "like you're not there" i would suggest watching the replay.... In 99% of cases you will see that you caused it! That's what i did the few times i was SURE i had taken the correct line... I was wrong... and thankfully (although at time frustratingly) when they punt you during cornering you actually get affected (as do the AI cars too) i saw one punt another right in front of me that sent them off in different directions! Thus far i am very very happy with the physics (absolutely awesome with a G27) and the AI which is aggressive and competitive (as long as you drive with all aids off and not cheating by using super soft race tyres) drive with that setup and you are in for a good race with them!!


I've checked the replays a few times... at best it's a case of I was probably cutting someone off but there was still plenty of time to respond...

And more to the point it's not that they hit me, it's that they hit me and then continue to drive through me! That's just not right...

That combined with pushing me off the outside of a drivinng line (I have even been pushed off the inside) is just wrong... there is some rubbing in racing but when I am half a car up on the other guy there is no excuse for him to start pushing me off track.
 
But if you don't know the course and just "use the force" and therefore drive erratically, the AI will run into you just like real life. Practice the courses more, or back off the AI a bit....
Rotor.

Was that directed at me?? hahaha "Now you're failure is complete!" :dopey:

I think it is Devedander who needs to learn the art of driving in an AI crowd!!! The darkside is all about clean driving.... taking the race line when it's there but not forcing a position that is not on... in essence correct racetrack driving, cornering and braking!
 
Back