Advanced physics + somehow worse AI = >:(

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devedander
  • 175 comments
  • 16,413 views
I'm not saying that they drive like I'm not there. Maybe the guy just didn't like the looks of me, and that's what causes it. I can say for sure that in at least one of the races I had a completely clean lap (I usually drive this game as I would drive IRL, i.e. not hitting anyone), until that bastard hits me on the last straight, coming up from behind, causing me to spin... that pisses me off, especially because I've been restarting that %/&%/Q"# lap a thousand times!

But I have still to experience how they behave in races. It seems the special events are a little different?
 
Had a few 'pits' but none of them to bad, generally the A.I seems to have improved in my opinion.

I don't think it's improved at all, this especially shows on a high speed straight where you're driving a slower car, if you go to make a blocking move the AI controlled car behind you just slams into you without attempting to brake. Also the AI cars seem to have no awareness at all of where your car is during cornering, if you're on their line they just move over to it regardless. The AI doesn't feel much different to GT4 or GT5p. I'm loving the game, however I'm starting to notice a lot of things that make me think that GT5 isn't the big step up from the prequels that I was hoping for.
 
I'm not saying that they drive like I'm not there. Maybe the guy just didn't like the looks of me, and that's what causes it. I can say for sure that in at least one of the races I had a completely clean lap (I usually drive this game as I would drive IRL, i.e. not hitting anyone), until that bastard hits me on the last straight, coming up from behind, causing me to spin... that pisses me off, especially because I've been restarting that %/&%/Q"# lap a thousand times!

But I have still to experience how they behave in races. It seems the special events are a little different?

No they are aggressive in races too. In fact there is a lot of bickering going on between other AI cars. As mentioned some are passive whilst others are aggressive. I think it's a great mix.... i mean cmon, before GT5 everyone complained about the boring AI, now it's complaints because they are doing dodgy things.... if you mess up, they will take advantage of that... simple as that... have you guys played on line? you want to talk about AI cars not avoiding you are driving like you're not there???? try an online race! that's how REAL ppl drive.... (most of them are maniacs) i would love to have a nice 'clean' race with some GT folk.... how often do you see that?
 
Was that directed at me?? hahaha "Now you're failure is complete!" :dopey:

LOL! No mate didn't even spot your screen name when I wrote that :)

But Gran Starwarsmo could be kinda cool....
"Luke what's wrong!? Your skid recovery is turned off!!"

Rotor.
 
I don't think it's improved at all, this especially shows on a high speed straight where you're driving a slower car, if you go to make a blocking move the AI controlled car behind you just slams into you without attempting to brake. Also the AI cars seem to have no awareness at all of where your car is during cornering, if you're on their line they just move over to it regardless. The AI doesn't feel much different to GT4 or GT5p. I'm loving the game, however I'm starting to notice a lot of things that make me think that GT5 isn't the big step up from the prequels that I was hoping for.

Better return the game then steverino! seems you're the only one who thinks AI is the same... funny how the rest of us have watched replays of our races and seen them do all the things you claim they don't...... seems we must all be lying because we're just fanboys....
 
I don't think it's improved at all, this especially shows on a high speed straight where you're driving a slower car, if you go to make a blocking move the AI controlled car behind you just slams into you without attempting to brake.

A "blocking move"? Is that legal in your racing? Most real racing makes that illegal ya know.

Even so, when I've "drifted" in front of a faster AI car, they pretty much always find a way around or back off and try again - maybe you're not blocking them but just ramming them?

Either way, drive "realistically" around them and they'll seem much better. Drive unrealistically, and they become just like online drivers....

Rotor.
 
This is hilarious, I just went back to TGTT with Lotus again, that first corner I am outside and going to clip cones I am so far out, then the second to last place AI just nudges me for no reason at all (again I am as far outside as I can be without getting DQ'd for it almost completely clear of the AI guy) I get the DQ for it and then I go watch the repay... it mysteriuosly ends right before contact!

It's like the game knew I got screwed right there and decided to erase the evidence :D
 
That's probably Jeremy Clarkson - maybe he thought you were James May hehe.

Rotor.
 
This is hilarious, I just went back to TGTT with Lotus again, that first corner I am outside and going to clip cones I am so far out, then the second to last place AI just nudges me for no reason at all (again I am as far outside as I can be without getting DQ'd for it almost completely clear of the AI guy) I get the DQ for it and then I go watch the repay... it mysteriuosly ends right before contact!

It's like the game knew I got screwed right there and decided to erase the evidence :D

NO! Someone is using the old Jedi Mind Trick on you!! I know it well
 
The AI is fine 'activity' wise, they are alert of your presence and each others and act accordingly, if you think otherwise you need a lesson in race craft, badly IMO.

Where the AI falls down, game breakingly badly is speed carried through corners, mammoth braking zones and that, I'll call it a bug, thing where you touch them in the rear and they get out of the throttle completely or even brake.
 
...thing where you touch them in the rear and they get out of the throttle completely or even brake.

If I'm not mistaken that was fixed with patch 1.01. Myself and a few others have noticed and improvement since the patch. In fact today, I tapped an AI and continued to push him. We actually gained speed by drafting. 👍
 
I truly think this is the best AI in any GT game.

Don't change a thing.
 
AI still brake checks me like crazy.
 
A "blocking move"? Is that legal in your racing? Most real racing makes that illegal ya know.

Even so, when I've "drifted" in front of a faster AI car, they pretty much always find a way around or back off and try again - maybe you're not blocking them but just ramming them?

Either way, drive "realistically" around them and they'll seem much better. Drive unrealistically, and they become just like online drivers....

Rotor.

Well it's legal in Formula 1, the very pinnacle of motorsport, you're allowed to make one defensive manouvre per straight on a car behind you, i.e you can move your car directly infront of theirs once if they attempt an overtake but you cannot do it again.

How can I ram a car when it's coming directly behind me?
 
Better return the game then steverino! seems you're the only one who thinks AI is the same... funny how the rest of us have watched replays of our races and seen them do all the things you claim they don't...... seems we must all be lying because we're just fanboys....

"The rest of us" I seem to see a lot of people on this thread complaining about being hit from behind by AI drivers.
 
Nearly every time the AI gets close to my rear, it backs off if i don't move. Why are people seeing different results? I think it's because, as someone stated, some AI drivers are aggressive and brave, while others are reserved and clean.

I'm loving the AI in GT5. Trust me, go and play supercar challenge for half an hour, you'll see how good we have it.
 
Played it many hours now and as far as I can determine the AI drivers essentially don't know I exist. Very much like GT4; forgivable more than half a decade ago, but absolutely unforgivable today. This makes it much more annoying than it was in GT4 IMHO. Maybe we are playing different games here, but so far for me all the AI cars do is follow the racing line blindly. If I pass and clearly have track position, the car I've just passed will frequently ignore me and simply ram my rear fender, for example.
 
When I'm grinding out races in a grossly overpowered car, none of the other drivers will get out of my way at the start of a race, but when I stick my B-Spec driver in the same car, the other cars part like the Red Sea. What is up with that?
 
"The rest of us" I seem to see a lot of people on this thread complaining about being hit from behind by AI drivers.

Go play on line dude and see how many times you get hit from behind.... now that's 'real' peoples driving/reaction skills.... what makes you think the AI should be any quicker to react? Aren't we trying to get them to be more "human" like?? you're contradicting yourself mate. The point is they are trying to avoid other cars now and it is obvious. As pointed out the only problem i see with them is that they do brake a little too aggressively for some corners....
 
When I'm grinding out races in a grossly overpowered car, none of the other drivers will get out of my way at the start of a race, but when I stick my B-Spec driver in the same car, the other cars part like the Red Sea. What is up with that?

hahaha better check that disc dude.... sounds like someone has played a trick on you and given you GT4. You are describing GT4 AI to a T!
 
The AI so far have been great, keeping me on my toes.
 
If I'm not mistaken that was fixed with patch 1.01. Myself and a few others have noticed and improvement since the patch. In fact today, I tapped an AI and continued to push him. We actually gained speed by drafting. 👍


Well I was doing the yaris race earlier, and some of the competition decided after turn 1 to have a bit of paint trade and ended up braking and 3 of them sitting in the middle of the road waiting for the others to pass and made a huge pile up, I should have recorded it!

Though the top gear track seems mighty excessive. I have struggled all day with it, but have done nearly everything silver, some gold and a few bronze's.

Havent unlocked nurburgring yet,..... which I think is cheeky of PD, that and not having anything to do with a top gear mode or the like

What will we substitute the liana or c'eed with to make our own times, with our OWN standing starts. Oh wait - no leaderboards it doesnt matter.......

Seriously loving the game, and can't wait for patches/dlc but the AI has been ok mostly apart from the top gear track. That is a joke though.

I can't really justify the amount of time spent on the game, it feels great but still lacking a lot.

If only they hadnt wasted time with the stupid lap time tie in and 3d rubbish and kaz going off and doing things like 24 hr nurburgring when he should have been getting the game out, we would of had a fuller game.

So much for the blue ray is full, 19GB is a lot but theres 3 GB of music!!

So many cars not even included and the shadows... THE SHADOWS!!!!

SO much hype...

But it is effin' great though!!!!!! Worth the wait, now I would like to see a new year patch with interior views, more cars (Escort Cossie - GT4) and some tweak to the AI (maybe). Also WTF no matchmaking or leaderboards, or Mic support.

PD..... get with the times, there is a thing called the internet now, you dont have to make a whole game and release it after 10 years now! Oh and people would like to chat to each other with voice not text messaging.

A real trade system as well, so we dont have to trust strangers from the forums with no security on cars worth a lot.

So many issues, they need to be quick to address them or they will be the laughing stock of (non GT) gaming community.
 
Go play on line dude and see how many times you get hit from behind.... now that's 'real' peoples driving/reaction skills.... what makes you think the AI should be any quicker to react? Aren't we trying to get them to be more "human" like?? you're contradicting yourself mate. The point is they are trying to avoid other cars now and it is obvious. As pointed out the only problem i see with them is that they do brake a little too aggressively for some corners....

Agreed man. It's not because the AI is stupid that they hit you, or you hit them. It's because you pulled an unexpected move all of a sudden and AI didn't have enough time to react. In real life, you can get into serious accidents if you suddenly brake-check the car behind you. The AI doesn't expect you to drive like a madman, diving into the corner and forcefully get the inside line, they expected proper racing ettiquette. Oh, and if AI was programmed to drive like pro drivers in Sunday Cup with delayed braking, maintaining the max corner speed throughout the corner and perfect execution on exiting, we would all be complaining that the AI is too pro. Seriously, PD could've made the AI extremely tough, but decides not to so that casual players won't get owned. It's obviously easy for the veterans, but some people do struggle alot to keep up with the AI if they are driving the same car class.
 
There is some races where they brake all the time, and generally in the middle of a corner for no reasons. Very frustrating where you are behind them at their ridiculous speed, and at that time you bump them and Hop, DSQ (Deep Forest event, 2 laps, license iB I think).
 
Here's something I LOVE about the AI though. In most races, you may be able to take and maintain first, but they will ALWAYS keep up with you and maybe challenge you (assuming you're using a suitable car).

Much unlike GT4, when you could simply blast away from the AI and end a minute or two in front by the end. It's nice to have some company along the way to victory.
 
Go play on line dude and see how many times you get hit from behind.... now that's 'real' peoples driving/reaction skills.... what makes you think the AI should be any quicker to react? Aren't we trying to get them to be more "human" like?? you're contradicting yourself mate. The point is they are trying to avoid other cars now and it is obvious. As pointed out the only problem i see with them is that they do brake a little too aggressively for some corners....

I really would like you to point out the contradiction in anything I've said. Trying to avoid other cars doesn't apply when you're hammered from behind on the Mulsanne straight. There's making the AI more human like and then there's overdoing it, unless of course the devs have been watching a lot of Mark Webber.
 
I really would like you to point out the contradiction in anything I've said. Trying to avoid other cars doesn't apply when you're hammered from behind on the Mulsanne straight. There's making the AI more human like and then there's overdoing it, unless of course the devs have been watching a lot of Mark Webber.

Hmm. That has happened very seldomly to me. Couldnt it be something you are doing?
 
I see you played the supercar festival cup in the professional series....
Tried with a
Mclaren F1
908 HDi FAP (lol at this name)
GT-R SpecV 09

the f1 did okay till they started ramming my back end...
 
Hmm. That has happened very seldomly to me. Couldnt it be something you are doing?

I'm not saying it happens in every single race but it has happened to me a few times, what I do in some races is use a slower top speed car than the AI opponents especially in the beginner and amateur series races so as to make it a bit more difficult or I should say so the AI cars can catch up on the straights and make a race of it, however a few times when I've moved to cover their overtake, instead of the AI car braking or moving to attempt the overtake on the opposite side of the track, they've just ploughed right into the back of my car. I watched the replay of the one involving my Jaguar E-Type on Circuit de la Sarthe and there was plenty of time and space for the AI car to either brake or avoid me.

I'm not saying the AI is completely bad but there's certainly faults but I suppose there's only so much it can be programmed to do.
 
Back