Advice Thread: What Is Wrong With Me?

Seems like a well intended thread but why didn't you share the replay with the info about throttle and brake input + speed + sector times? That's probably the most important thing in order to help you with something valuable.

The replay only shows your line that looks quite good already. But that alone is not enough to tell you what to improve.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to shift your brake balance to the rear to have a better turn in and higher car control under braking and trail braking. This is especially needed for the 1st and last sectors.

Seems like a well intended thread but why didn't you share the replay with the info about throttle and brake input + speed + sector times? That's probably the most important thing in order to help you with something valuable.

The replay only shows your line that looks quite good already. But that alone is not enough to tell you what to improve.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to shift your brake balance to the rear to have a better turn in and higher car control under braking and trail braking. This is especially needed for the 1st and last sectors.

I thought of that 3 seconds after creating the thread. I Don't like the input HUD, but I'll keep it for the next times.
Sorry about that...
How much should I change the balance? I I think I was using 1 to the front. And do you keep it for the whole lap?

It's not my driving style but if you want to get onto leaderboards you need to cut corners, have part of your outside tires on the kerbs to avoid penalties, I can't do that consistently myself.

I thought of that 3 seconds after creating the thread. I Don't like the input HUD, but I'll keep it for the next times.
Sorry about that...
How much should I change the balance? I I think I was using 1 to the front. And do you keep it for the whole lap?

Most aliens and experienced drivers I've seen tend to have a biased brake balance for the rear (+5 most of the time). Some of them change it on the fly. I keep it +5 around the whole lap and manage top10 times usually. I might change it depending on the track and car. I can't comment on BB for FWD cars because I don't drive them. ^^

Now that I'm thinking about Lake Maggiore, setting the BB on 0 for the heavy breaking zone after sector #2 might be a good idea. Gotta try that.

This is only my opinion ofc. Some of what makes a top10 lap will depend of your driving style.

It's not my driving style but if you want to get onto leaderboards you need to cut corners, have part of your outside tires on the kerbs to avoid penalties, I can't do that consistently myself.

Everywhere? Is there one specific that you think would benefit me more?

Most aliens and experienced drivers I've seen tend to have a biased brake balance for the rear (+5 most of the time). Some of them change it on the fly. I keep it +5 around the whole lap and manage top10 times usually. I might change it depending on the track and car. I can't comment on BB for FWD cars because I don't drive them. ^^

Now that I'm thinking about Lake Maggiore, setting the BB on 0 for the heavy breaking zone after sector #2 might be a good idea. Gotta try that.

This is only my opinion ofc. Some of what makes a top10 lap will depend of your driving style.

Thanks a lot!
I always wanted to know about BB of top 10 guys!

@Nando deBem last time I checked, you were pretty fast :lol: lol you beat me before. (Not that I'm super fast)

But to be serious, I'm pretty sure with a lot of them it's familiarity with the course. (Which is sumn I myself need to start doing)

Seems pretty slow but then smooth always does, and I do not drive a porsche so I cant say anything about your line.
Although you do seem to brake far into the corner which I prefer to brake before the corner and carry more exit speed.

Everywhere? Is there one specific that you think would benefit me more?
In Lago Maggiore you want to be inside all the way through the first corner, then cut as much as possible into the second (two wheels in the yellow area inside the curb)
You also want to cut as much as possible going into the banked right hander after the long straight; iirc you can even put the outside wheels on the curb itself and you won't get penalized, but I only advice cutting that much during quali
The last that I remember is the last 2 right hander combo before the two left handers leading to the home straight. Cut deeply into the first right hander, again two wheels inside the curb, then run wide. Lift off to tighten your line again, then cut as much as possible once more into the second right hander.

In Lago Maggiore you want to be inside all the way through the first corner, then cut as much as possible into the second (two wheels in the yellow area inside the curb)
You also want to cut as much as possible going into the banked right hander after the long straight; iirc you can even put the outside wheels on the curb itself and you won't get penalized, but I only advice cutting that much during quali
The last that I remember is the last 2 right hander combo before the two left handers leading to the home straight. Cut deeply into the first right hander, again two wheels inside the curb, then run wide. Lift off to tighten your line again, then cut as much as possible once more into the second right hander.

Thanks!

This is spot on. I got this advice on another thread as I was wallowing down the qualifying leaderboards and not getting anywhere. With only a little bit of practice I improved a second or two. I changed my balance from -1 to +1. -1 May probably be better for braking in a straight line, but +1 keeps the car more balanced to allow gentler braking while turning. May try some more rear.

Brake balance is a red herring - much more down to personal preference than 'use x' or 'use y'.

I run -2 on the RSR and I'm usually top 10.

Nothing wrong with your lines at Suzuka... extra speed comes from having the car as neutral as possible at the apex, so you can wind the lock off earlier and use more throttle on the exits.

Brake balance is a red herring - much more down to personal preference than 'use x' or 'use y'.

I run -2 on the RSR and I'm usually top 10.

Nothing wrong with your lines at Suzuka... extra speed comes from having the car as neutral as possible at the apex, so you can wind the lock off earlier and use more throttle on the exits.

Sorry, not native English speaker here. What do you mean by “as neutral as possible”? And “wind the lock off”?

Less lock (steering angle) you have applied, more throttle you can use... so the more you have the car neutral (not understeering/oversteering) at the apex, the less lock you'll need to apply and the more throttle you can use... and the fast your exit will be.

Less lock (steering angle) you have applied, more throttle you can use... so the more you have the car neutral (not understeering/oversteering) at the apex, the less lock you'll need to apply and the more throttle you can use... and the fast your exit will be.

Wow! Ok! That’s something! Less steering angle at the apex! I’ll try that! Thanks!

Watching your Suzuka replay again... try to stay more to the right (tighter) coming out of the final part of the Essess to give a better line in to Dunlop... Dunlop can be flat with the right line (or very, very close to flat), but you need to enter from the right, not mid track.

to facilitate this, I like to stay more to the left approaching the final part of the Essess.... sacrificing a fraction of speed to get a better line.

For the Maggie lap, you don’t need to cut the turn 4 corner on the inside to achieve a super fast lap. But running wide is key.

Long post ahead because I absolutely love Suzuka

First turn: Your braking point is correct, but you're applying too much. You can touch the brakes at around the halfway point all throughout the first turn, and then when you get to the left side in preparation for the second turn, lighten up your brake pressure to around 25% as you tighten your steering to nail the apex on the second corner. You can steadily increase throttle input after the apex. Usually by the time the green strip after the inside curbs pass by, you're at full throttle. It's so fun, the first couply of corners! When you nail this line it feels like you're overspeeding throughout the turns and getting away with it :D

Esses: For clarification, I consider the first left hander as part of the esses. Just so we're on the same page. The first corner of the esses you can ease the throttle a little bit (50-75%) and remain constant. You can carry 160-175kmh through the first turn. On the second, brake until you're around 130-135kmh. I notice that after the second turn, people would go wide. What I do is I don't apply full throttle after the second turn and I tuck right. This way you can go flat out at the 3rd corner. You would run wide going flat out at the 3rd corner, but that's okay, because when you're at the outer edge of the track that's when you brake for the 4th and final corner of the esses. You maintain a slightly lower speed through here (120-125kmh) because you want to tuck the car right, so when you get to the dunlop curve, you can take it flat out.

The two right handers after dunlop curve: Nothing much of note, just smoother steering :)

The wide right-hander after the hairpin: I noticed that you're in the inside line all the way through this wide corner. It's still a corner, so treat it like it has an apex. It's tight enough to create an impact on your time. After the hairpin, you're starting out from the right. At the first wide right-hander, go wide. And then at the second right-hander, tuck your car inside. Ideally the moment you stop steering the car right is the moment you are at your braking zone for the spoon curve. And that leads me to...
Spoon curve: Just like the first couple of right handers, you're applying too much pressure on the brakes. You can apply just around 30-50% of brake pressure and it'll lead you nicely into the apex :)
After the apex your line is mostly correct

Sorry for the long post, I'm really enthusiastic about this track and I love it to bits! Hope this helps :cheers:

I didn't think brake bias was working in Sport Mode races with no tuning. I thought I tried it a long time ago and there was no change, but maybe it was the car I was using.

It's active for production vehicles also?

Long post ahead because I absolutely love Suzuka
100%.
For discussion, turn 1, looks like @Nando deBem turn in point is a fraction late, and causing all the front end scrubbing, which is causing extra steering, which is keeping the car dancing/less stable... which is making the car hard to set up for turn 2... which is causing the over-steer on exit... He's gong fast but it's a mess...
I'm thinking a faction earlier into 1 and the whole thing cleans up... ?
Esses... What @Alpha Cipher said for certain, especially the first right and run to the second left, which you can take tight, wheels all the way over onto the green paint... but specifically the last right (prior Dunlop) your fronts are scrubbing towards the end of the corner, right where you should be getting into the throttle... that last right, is a late apex, in quali., or when not pressured from behind, go in a little wide and slowly cut towards the end/late apex of the turn, you can get on the throttle earlier and have a much better run at/up/through Dunlop.
Hairpin... I like 2nd gear once the braking and turn in is complete... avoids the dreaded wheel spin coming out, which avoids hitting the limiter and also saves another millisecond on the shift while under power... I also like to treat it with a late apex, so about a car wide on entry, square it up and get into the throttle much sooner... such a long "straight" after...
All in all, you are much faster than I, so, hat is off, but there is so much front end scrubbing that cannot be helping mid corner and exit.
I think that is what all the comments regarding "smoother steering" are getting at.
Makes me think you are over driving the entry, and scrubbing to save it, when you could be entering a fraction slower, and maintain faster over all with increase mid corner and exit.

So, I'm a mid Dr.B, I know I'm not fast, but, I am smooth, and link corners well... don't ask me how to brake hard for a single corner tho... I cannot do that to save my life.

Last edited:
Lago Maggiore... looked darn hot to me.
Notice a lot less front end scrub when your laid that lap down.

Only one place I can offer a suggestion... on the last 2 semi-linked rights before the front straight.
The first of those is a late apex, and you can hear your cars rev's stumble (or possibly you lift for a split second there) at the apex when you correct the steering... Your breaking point looks good (which probably means it's early for what I'm going to suggest) but hold that turn in off a little later, forget about the apex you see and aim for the one that you currently are making your second downshift at. When you get that right, you will have enough exit speed that you'll not need to hit the throttle on the short "straight" between the 2 corners... instead you'll be doing the braking and second down shift that you currently make in that first of these 2 rights.
And again, this is for quali., or when not pressured.
Maybe @zzz_pt can chime in... seems he gets it on at this track rather well.

That's all I've got... try it...
Again, I aspire to be as fast as you... I think I have the mind for it... just short on skills.

Last edited:
Back