Advice Thread: What Is Wrong With Me?

I hear people about checking the laps. In sport mode you can click on the top 10 and watch their round. But you cannot ghost them within your own timetrial right ? Or am I missing an option ?

Also the top 10 is not shown in your own timetrials. So only top 10 from sportmode of that specific track right ?

Or can we go to circuit missions and watch the top 10 there ? Although I doubt people are driving there.

I would appreciate any help.

I think you’re right. And circuit experience, missions and school don’t have available replays. I think...

Replying this one:

——

I tried to keep my brake balance in 5 to the rear. This made me lock less the front tires and helped me turning in.

I tried no to dive into the corner too much. Braking a little bit earlier, speacially on T5 and the right turn after the S and the long straight. It allowed me to have a better exit speed in a uphill part of the circuit.

I tried to follow this line, speacially for sector 1. It really helps you get in a better position for T4.

Definetly, run wide on T4.

I tried to turn less my wheel. In braking zones, I think Brake Balance to the rear made me need to apply less angle, because the car would almost turn itself. And specially in the S, the right turn part, you have to release the wheel a little bit. If you don’t, you either lose speed, or you spin. And more steering angle through the S makes your car unstable, because it takes too much time to go from on side to the other. I think that gives the car mor time to transfer it’s weight, and it’s harder to come back in a good line.

WIIIIIDE!

——

I still gotta read the Suzuka tips again and try to improve my time there!
I'm glad I was of help :cheers:

I hear people about checking the laps. In sport mode you can click on the top 10 and watch their round. But you cannot ghost them within your own timetrial right ? Or am I missing an option ?

Also the top 10 is not shown in your own timetrials. So only top 10 from sportmode of that specific track right ?

Or can we go to circuit missions and watch the top 10 there ? Although I doubt people are driving there.

I would appreciate any help.

Instead of clicking "watch replay", click down and choose " download replay".

Then, when you go to practice, you can load that lap as ghost. ;)

Some feedback would be appreciated:

Teach yourself how to trail brake, it could easily save you around half a second on Kyoto :)
The esses can be flat out, don't need to lift off. You just gotta time each turn-in right
Not sure if it really is advice because I'm not sure if this is quicker, but the wide left-hander after the esses you can take an alternative line and start the turn not really outside, but more of in the middle line. At around the halfway point you tighten your line while increasing throttle input. If done correctly you'd be thrown wide right at the exit curb with a lot of speed

I just wanna say “thank you”.
After reading through your tips, I was able to plan my lap better, and qualified in the Canadian Championship in 3rd!

I know it’s not a perfect lap, but I’m proud of it!

Thanks!!!

This is the lap:

Love the first few corners wide slow smooth can't believe how much time you save by the end of the lap...I'll be trying that later he he - might struggle without wheel lol

Some feedback would be appreciated:

You need to be closer to the inside curb on T1 and and T5.

At the end of sector 1 you should be on .3 or .4 (so you can gain half a second in the first sector alone). Don't lift through the SS uphill.

T11 and last turn you can gain time using trail braking (especially T11).

SS after sector 2 and T13, you can also gain time by putting 2 wheels on the grass but the car gets really unstable.

Also, when starting you flying laps, make sure to come out of the corner into the main straight as you can.

You're just conservative with inputs overall. Add trail braking and begin to dial up the aggression while maintaing chassis balance.

You're just conservative with inputs overall. Add trail braking and begin to dial up the aggression while maintaing chassis balance.
I don't know, although I gained three tenth and did a flat 1.35, if I pushed any further I would lose the car. Maybe it's the nature of Aston or just my shortcoming.

True. Now I don't know if I loaded a lap from a top10 driver or one of my own. 0.o

Just tried it out and didn't work. Sorry.

It doesn't work. I'm loading a ghost file but I can't see the ghost from another driver too :-( .

When thread is here, I'll ask:

If somehow I managed to not miss both of hairpins, that would be alien lap?

Then I would hit the bus stop, as usual :P

Since this thread is here, I thought I"d ask for help on this, anything I could improve on with this video? Driving a Lexus RC F on Suzuka

I don't know, although I gained three tenth and did a flat 1.35, if I pushed any further I would lose the car. Maybe it's the nature of Aston or just my shortcoming.

Great that you gave it a try. Pushing a car aggressively without sound principles can lead to frustrating laps with only minor improvements. Take a look at this vid on how to drive on the limit. Scott's strategic view should inform and guide your test sessions, enabling you to comprehend where you are getting it right/wrong. Good luck!

https://driver61.com/uni/driving-the-limit/

Since this thread is here, I thought I"d ask for help on this, anything I could improve on with this video? Driving a Lexus RC F on Suzuka

Turn 1& 2
You need to use a long, half brake on entry. You use a bit of throttle between the 2 corners, and then miss the apex of 2, and you’re not using the full width on the exit… hit the apex, then let the car drift wide as you get on the gas.

Esses
Basically OK, but you don’t get back to the right hand side of the track, compromising your line in to Dunlop

Dunlop
Entry – see above. Then you don’t use the full width on the exit

Degner
You turn in too late, and don’t carry enough entry speed in to or through the 1st part, then you need to use more of the track on the exit of the 2nd part.

Hairpin
You need to be hard on the right hand side on approach, then you miss the apex by miles, further tightening the corner.

Spoon
Entry in to both apex’s is OK – could be a bit further to the right on approach. But you’re not using anywhere near the full width of the track on the exit to the back straight… you could get on the gas much earlier and let the car drift out to the kerb.

130r
Not quite far enough right on approach, and only using 75% of the track on the exit… you could carry much more speed through the corner.

Chicane

Entry is good, but you can use more of the kerbing on the right on the exit.

Overall there’s a common theme… you’re not using the full width of track available to you… outside/inside/outside, not middle/inside/middle. A lot of the time you could be on the power earlier or carrying more apex speed.

When thread is here, I'll ask:

If somehow I managed to not miss both of hairpins, that would be alien lap?

Then I would hit the bus stop, as usual :P

Agree that slow corners are your opportunity. My first suggestion is for you to get confident with your brake pedal. You want to be aggressive here and get the car to rotate towards the apex at the end of braking. This may feel strange at first and you may need to neutralize the brake balance in order to develop that feel for the rotation.

Agree with Stotty, use the whole track. This may sound unconventional, but practice getting two wheel off the track. Be intention and hang it out there. Your vision will also have to improve as threading this line will require you to look further down the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions, got my time down to 2:03ish, almost 2:00 but I spun out before the finish line and haven't been able to repeat that lap again.

Suzuka has always been a tough track for me, I never felt confident over the windy curves.

Hey, guys!

So... I was doing some Gr.1 racing at Nurb GP last week, and I noticed something. I was doing pretty OK, when I turned the ghost on and noticed something.

My ghost would vanish in the horizon in the first straight. Super fast! Then I did some testing, and noticed in my first lap, I was faster on the opening straight then in the second lap. The only difference was: when starting the first lap, I was worried about not spinning just before the lap, so I would try to modulate my throttle input a little bit more.

Conclusion:
If you press the gas pedal a lot slower, you go faster. You have more grip. I know it seems obvious, but I saw a lot of DR S drivers having a bad time with Gr.1 coming out of turns.

My question is, and I'm sorry for the whole context story, does this happen in other car categories too? Maybe that's a "place" I'm losing time...

Please, notice my gas input after noticing that:

Hi, I have a 6:37 on the nordschleife circuit experience. i know its a reasonable time, but i'd like to know if there are any obvious corners or sections where i'm losing pace. bear in mind I'm using automatic gears and a ds4 in the lap, I know I'm losing time with AT. I also know about 2 mistakes I made:

- came off the concrete at the carousel
- big mistake at the final chicane after the straight

thank you and I'll try to help anyone with their laps if I have something to add

Tips and criticism appreciated in advance.

I think your brake balance is too much to the front. I know it's 1 to the back, but your sliding into T5.

And...

One more "thank you" here!

I did a sub 2:00 at Suzuka!!! Still not perfect, I know, but it was really fast to get this time after reading all your feedback!
My next improvements at Suzuka will be T1 (I'm still struggling to keep the car under control), the left turn after the S, I'll try to get as flat as possible, coming wide to it, and the 130R. I need to lift the gas after turning in.

Last edited:
Hey, guys!

So... I was doing some Gr.1 racing at Nurb GP last week, and I noticed something. I was doing pretty OK, when I turned the ghost on and noticed something.

My ghost would vanish in the horizon in the first straight. Super fast! Then I did some testing, and noticed in my first lap, I was faster on the opening straight then in the second lap. The only difference was: when starting the first lap, I was worried about not spinning just before the lap, so I would try to modulate my throttle input a little bit more.

The hybrid cars start the time attack with 100% electric energy. When you get around to lap 2 or later, you are often starting a lot lower therefore can't make the same times.

The most obvious one is the Toyota TS050 which has a battery % in cockpit view. The Audi and Porsche (even Toyota TS030) don't have this info on the dash, but work in similar ways. Watching the meter in the cockpit view, the Toyota can deploy electric power until about 250kmph and won't deploy with too much lock on the steering wheel. If you are over 250kmph, it won't use electric no matter how much you have in reserve, and if you have more than approx 45 degree steering input it won't use it, or it will deploy it at a slower rate.

If you try this at nurburgring GP, after a few laps the toyota ts050 will run out of electric power earlier on the straights and often most notable after the hairpin at the bottom of the circuit. Where if you start the lap with 100% energy, you will find your electric power is stronger down the straights and you can gain a lot more speed out of the hairpin at the bottom of the circuit as you have energy to spare.

So if you get say 20 laps down at normal pace. Then hit restart on your qualy and start a new lap, you will begin with 100% electric power and can do a quicker than normal lap. This is most likely why you will see some very quick qualy laps from the Hybrids but their race pace can be 1-2 seconds slower.

Another strategy I like to do is just put qualy laps down without abusing the electric power (just running normal race pace effectively) and I may qualify down the order, but it is more reflective of my race pace, which I then use to move up the field as their qualy position doesn't reflect their true race pace.

The hybrid cars start the time attack with 100% electric energy. When you get around to lap 2 or later, you are often starting a lot lower therefore can't make the same times.

The most obvious one is the Toyota TS050 which has a battery % in cockpit view. The Audi and Porsche (even Toyota TS030) don't have this info on the dash, but work in similar ways. Watching the meter in the cockpit view, the Toyota can deploy electric power until about 250kmph and won't deploy with too much lock on the steering wheel. If you are over 250kmph, it won't use electric no matter how much you have in reserve, and if you have more than approx 45 degree steering input it won't use it, or it will deploy it at a slower rate.

If you try this at nurburgring GP, after a few laps the toyota ts050 will run out of electric power earlier on the straights and often most notable after the hairpin at the bottom of the circuit. Where if you start the lap with 100% energy, you will find your electric power is stronger down the straights and you can gain a lot more speed out of the hairpin at the bottom of the circuit as you have energy to spare.

So if you get say 20 laps down at normal pace. Then hit restart on your qualy and start a new lap, you will begin with 100% electric power and can do a quicker than normal lap. This is most likely why you will see some very quick qualy laps from the Hybrids but their race pace can be 1-2 seconds slower.

Another strategy I like to do is just put qualy laps down without abusing the electric power (just running normal race pace effectively) and I may qualify down the order, but it is more reflective of my race pace, which I then use to move up the field as their qualy position doesn't reflect their true race pace.

Yes! I noticed that last week! I was even able to get an 8th place on the leaderboard at the end of the day! That’s a rare one! Lol
Thanks for taking your time to answer though. I appreciate it.

Hey guys,

just looking for some feedback on this move (please ignore my 'heat of the moment' live comm), in the hope that I can improve my race craft. Had a good few corners with this guy and in my eyes I was alongside enough to have the inside. Was i in the right to hold the line or should i have conseeded the place. I guess the sensible person in me should have know what was going to happen

Back