AI changed in the 1.07 update?

Have you noticed the AI being faster and more aggressive since the 1.07 update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've noticed that field sizes have changed in both IB and IA races.

IB from 12 to 11 and IA from 16 to 15. They probably have done this to make changes to something. Don't know if it's AI as I have not really studied it but hopefully it is.

So that would suggest that the AI has been improved per car as there is one less to pass. Unless, of course, the car they took out was the back marker which starts behind the player. Very good observation starcarper. I just wonder if they have only improved the AI in those events or if they have overall improved it.

So that would suggest that the AI has been improved per car as there is one less to pass. Unless, of course, the car they took out was the back marker which starts behind the player. Very good observation starcarper. I just wonder if they have only improved the AI in those events or if they have overall improved it.
I could try doing a arcade racing on SSR5 again like I've been meaning to. Probably will be 10 laps. The last time I raced there it was in my GT2 M3 and I won by 0.4 s, but the AI let off when about to pass me. I'll see if it's any different with the BMW VGT. Since it's a faster car, if the AI hasn't sped up, I should easily run away from them given I get a similar field, both cars at 600PP.

I was running a bit this afternoon and from my analysis it seems what has occurred is that they've reduced the size of the "safe zone" around the AI (the area where if you or another car was they'd start slowing down as if beyond scared of contact). Rubber banding is definitely still there but (perhaps it was just in my head) it seemed like they increased the randomness of AI possibly messing up a corner as it seemed like there was regular movement and much more frequent passing between AI as well even in single make races (maybe boost for AI as well, but it always seemed like the car in front would be running really slow coming out of a corner and the car behind would easily overtake.)

Summary: yes, I've noticed a difference that I would label as "more aggressive" and/or "just less timid"

It was really strange as yesterday evening the races had reverted back to 12 and 16 respectively.

I started a thread in questions to see if anyone else had experienced this too. It must have been a bug, just wish I'd took a picture of it as proof.

It was really strange as yesterday evening the races had reverted back to 12 and 16 respectively
Also strange: in my three Nürburg 24' races yesterday evening (all with the R8 Phoenix), AI seemed to have returned more or less to "normal".
There were still crashes (each time when leaving the F1 circuit, entering Nordschleife, each time a different car, same position - 6th I think, not sure), but AI did not try that hard to keep up with my pace. Also AI lap times were slower (still faster than before 1.07) and I did not lose positions in the pit.

No race I tried yesterday in AI or S had less cars than it was supposed to have, so I don't know what the issue there was.

As for AI. I took my BRZ GT300 to the N24 minutes and finished 7th, 1.11.xxx behind the winner in a race I've previously won with ease in this car. (I did have 2 spins which cost me time but even without them 6th was the best I could do)

Analysis of the replay showed that the first five cars did not slow down at all on the final lap. Only the Abt Audi in 6th place was off the pace on some sectors which might had been "Let the Human past" kicking in.

I really can't see any improvement myself. Wishful thinking?

An improvement to the AI has been one of the most requested changes that fans everywhere have been asking for. That's exactly why, given the form of PD, we can expect there to be nothing that they will do about it. Sad but true people.

I raced the Nurb 24 in S class last night with the Beemer VGT. I was harassed by a Viper for the entire final two laps. He was off in the grass looking right and left trying to get around, bumper banging all the way and we passed each other multiple times. The s.o.b did not slow down at all. I won by .091 seconds and yes, I admit to blocking on the final sprint down the straight, that big V10 is just too powerful. Other than that I played it straight, just one lane change in front of him. I don't care what anybody says, that was the best 🤬 race I have had since I bought this game 6 months ago! If I can get more of this I might stay happy until we get some real endurance races (hopefully with B-spec with driver swaps hint, hint)

Tried again with my trusty BRZ GT300 and finished 6th. Only 49 seconds behind the winner, a Corvette, this time I didn't make any mistakes but lost 5th place when the Le Mans winning McLaren F1 flew past me on the straight on the last lap.

Again, analysis of the replay showed that the first four cars did not slow down at all.

Additionally in answer to this post on the PS Blog

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/14/drive-the-bmw-vision-gt-in-gran-turismo-6/

Nice car from BMW.

But what about solo endurance races that last more than 24 minutes? We had full time enduro in GT5, why not in GT6? (Sick joke if you ask me.)

Came this answer from Ken Chan.

We hear you loud and clear. More info to come on this

This leaves me hopeful.

Last edited:
I raced the Nurb 24 in S class last night with the Beemer VGT. I was harassed by a Viper for the entire final two laps. He was off in the grass looking right and left trying to get around, bumper banging all the way and we passed each other multiple times. The s.o.b did not slow down at all. I won by .091 seconds and yes, I admit to blocking on the final sprint down the straight, that big V10 is just too powerful. Other than that I played it straight, just one lane change in front of him. I don't care what anybody says, that was the best 🤬 race I have had since I bought this game 6 months ago! If I can get more of this I might stay happy until we get some real endurance races (hopefully with B-spec with driver swaps hint, hint)

Tried again with my trusty BRZ GT300 and finished 6th again. Only 49 seconds behind the winner, a Corvette, this time I didn't make any mistakes but lost 5th place when the Le Mans winning McLaren F1 flew past me on the straight on the laps lap.

Again, analysis of the replay showed that the first four cars did not slow down at all.

Additionally in answer to this post on the PS Blog

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/14/drive-the-bmw-vision-gt-in-gran-turismo-6/

Came this answer from Ken Chan.

This leaves me hopeful.

Did any of you have old replays to compare ? If not do you remember what was lap times/total run time of AI in those races ? I have an old replay and could compare.

Did any of you have old replays to compare ? If not do you remember what was lap times/total run time of AI in those races ? I have an old replay and could compare.

No previous replays available but I've never previously lost this race with my BRZ GT300. Now I can't get anywhere near a win with it.

I've tried again with my McLaren F1 Base Model and won. This time the AI slowed down to let me pass. They kept up with me better than they used to but not close enough to challenge me. 👎
I need a slower car than the F1 but faster than the BRZ. 💡

Edit.

As for lap times.

In the first race. I was 7th.

1st Viper GTS-R with 9:10.844/10:29.738/9:07.735

2nd BMW McLaren F1 with 9:16.922/10:36.101/9:08.058

3rd Mazda RX-7 RC with 9:16.233/10:41.288/9:11.951

In the second race I was 6th.

1st Corvette with 9:30.461/10:20.831/8:59.277

2nd Viper with 9:14.081/10:19.021/9:06.217

3rd BMW McLaren with 9:16.670/10:26.754/9:11.430

Third race I won.

2nd BMW McLaren with 9:14.476/10:33.721/8:50.805

3rd Viper with 9:19.682/10:26.320/9:01.044

4th Nissan GT-R R35 RC with 9:18.741/10:23.686/8:55.042

Last edited:
I don't have any older ones, but I have saved the new one, I am doing a race report on it. When I get back on this afternoon or evening I will get the lap times and you can check against your old ones :)

first race after update 1.07 24 min of nurburgring and saw this thing...

ps: have to say for me the ai is the same are still running really slow +2 min on the end

first race after update 1.07 24 min of nurburgring and saw this thing...

ps: have to say for me the ai is the same are still running really slow +2 min on the end

Yeah, and I saw it just like you :lol:
There is an edge on the pit exit.

Last edited:
I guess due to the length of the save it cut off way early on the cool down lap, before me and the Viper even got to turn one so I didn't get any 3rd lap times for the rest of the field. I know they weren't that far back, I saw them on the track map when we were heading down the hill before the last chicanes...unless one of them wrecked in front of the pack and held them up. First two laps times for positions 3-6:
Citroen GT : 09.26.720 / 10:56.998
Nissan GTR: 09:28.510 / 10:33.756
Ford GT-LM: 09:41.736 / 10:45.712
McLaren P1: 09:25.877 / 10:29.448
Not sure what happened to the Citroen and Ford in the pits, they spent a ton of time, went in P1-P5 and left P9-P10?
BMW VGT: 09:15.944 / 10:15.732 / 08:53.547
Viper GTS: 09:17.994 / 10:17.579 / 08:53.424
As you can see I was about two seconds faster on the first two laps and a tenth slower on the third, the Viper picked up the pace.

I've done a few 15 minutes of Nurburgring today with some different cars and found that the front running AI still slow down to let you win. :banghead:

Data from old replay for 24' of Nurburgring

Me - 1st Nissan YellowHat YSM GT500 - no pit stops, in the lead from 2nd lap

2nd - McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97 9'19.4 / 10'34.5 / 8'54.2

3rd - Nissan GTR R-35 Touring Car 9'28.8 / 10'21.8 / 9'03.4

4th - McLaren F1 GTR BMW 9'42.9 / 10'28.1 / 8'52.9

5th - Citroen GT Race Car 9'27.5 / 10'23.3 / 8'57.5

6th - Mazda RX-7 Race Car 9.22.9 / 10.42.6

No previous replays available but I've never previously lost this race with my BRZ GT300. Now I can't get anywhere near a win with it.

I've tried again with my McLaren F1 Base Model and won. This time the AI slowed down to let me pass. They kept up with me better than they used to but not close enough to challenge me. 👎
I need a slower car than the F1 but faster than the BRZ. 💡

Edit.

As for lap times.

In the first race. I was 7th.

1st Viper GTS-R with 9:10.844/10:29.738/9:07.735

2nd BMW McLaren F1 with 9:16.922/10:36.101/9:08.058

3rd Mazda RX-7 RC with 9:16.233/10:41.288/9:11.951

In the second race I was 6th.

1st Corvette with 9:30.461/10:20.831/8:59.277

2nd Viper with 9:14.081/10:19.021/9:06.217

3rd BMW McLaren with 9:16.670/10:26.754/9:11.430

Third race I won.

2nd BMW McLaren with 9:14.476/10:33.721/8:50.805

3rd Viper with 9:19.682/10:26.320/9:01.044

4th Nissan GT-R R35 RC with 9:18.741/10:23.686/8:55.042

I guess due to the length of the save it cut off way early on the cool down lap, before me and the Viper even got to turn one so I didn't get any 3rd lap times for the rest of the field. I know they weren't that far back, I saw them on the track map when we were heading down the hill before the last chicanes...unless one of them wrecked in front of the pack and held them up. First two laps times for positions 3-6:
Citroen GT : 09.26.720 / 10:56.998
Nissan GTR: 09:28.510 / 10:33.756
Ford GT-LM: 09:41.736 / 10:45.712
McLaren P1: 09:25.877 / 10:29.448
Not sure what happened to the Citroen and Ford in the pits, they spent a ton of time, went in P1-P5 and left P9-P10?
BMW VGT: 09:15.944 / 10:15.732 / 08:53.547
Viper GTS: 09:17.994 / 10:17.579 / 08:53.424
As you can see I was about two seconds faster on the first two laps and a tenth slower on the third, the Viper picked up the pace.

So, I was doing a race at nurburgring and some AI cars seemed more aggressive when I was trying to overtake them, one of them even managed to catch me again and made me spin on the straight next to the pit.
But still not sure if something have been changed on the last update.

yesterday i did the 24 min of nurburgring with the cappuccino and still can win without issues +29s (with some little mistake xD)
That surprises me.
I saw your post #49 at 24' Nürburg in a daily driver.
You won, the fastest AI's did 30.05.xxx (or close to that).
I tried that twice today (tuned Cappuccino on RH, no nitro) and ended 15th. I was pushed off the track twice by nr. 16 and once by nr. 15 after passing him when he came out of the pits, starting lap 2. Never saw him again, but nr 16 (lexus) stayed far behind me.
But: my set of AI needed only 28.38.114 / 28.38.649 / 29.06.229. (citroen race car / GTR R35 / Ford GT Le Mans) etc...
That means they were lapping A LOT faster than the ones in your post. I really think it is impossible to beat this times with the Cappuccino...

Before 1.07 I also did two races with the Cappucino. I was faster and AI was slower than now and I could battle for 4th to 6th. I remember the winning AI finished in about 29.30.xxx , still faster than the AI cars on the list you posted...

That surprises me.
I saw your post #49 at 24' Nürburg in a daily driver.
You won, the fastest AI's did 30.05.xxx (or close to that).
I tried that twice today (tuned Cappuccino on RH, no nitro) and ended 15th. I was pushed off the track twice by nr. 16 and once by nr. 15 after passing him when he came out of the pits, starting lap 2. Never saw him again, but nr 16 (lexus) stayed far behind me.
But: my set of AI needed only 28.38.114 / 28.38.649 / 29.06.229. (citroen race car / GTR R35 / Ford GT Le Mans) etc...
That means they were lapping A LOT faster than the ones in your post. I really think it is impossible to beat this times with the Cappuccino...

Before 1.07 I also did two races with the Cappucino. I was faster and AI was slower than now and I could battle for 4th to 6th. I remember the winning AI finished in about 29.30.xxx , still faster than the AI cars on the list you posted...
when i can i'm gonna do again and take a screenshot (my total time on this last i did was more really fast than the time of the pic)

when i can i'm gonna do again and take a screenshot (my total time on this last i did was more really fast than the time of the pic)
It is more the (total) times of AI that interest me. For all I know you're a faster driver than I am, but that would not help if AI is simply too fast.

Just did a second race, this time on RS (first time I use something other than RH.
I came in 8th this time, just a fraction in front of the Ford GT.
Viper won in 29.07.020
Second the GT Citroën race car in 29.08.724
Third the Abt Audi TT in 29.21.993 etc.

Got pushed off only twice this time and ended 8th in 30.43.846, finishing a fraction ahead the Ford GT. The rest was not to far behind either.

I finally have something to report. It does seem that something has changed the bot "attitude" in the update.

Taking the BRZ GT300 base model racecar into the I-A GT300 race at Deep Forest, I found that I was racing more aggressively than I usually do because the sense of pace of the cars were more intense, and they weren't just obstacle passing fodder to making first. I restarted, did my usual gentlemanly race against the bots, and won. But the cars all kept up a good pace throughout the race, even though they struggled a bit around the curves more or less as usual. I was pleased though to see that the bots didn't slam on the brakes around turns very much, and I could follow them much more closely without getting brake checked too much. The race results bore this out, as the difference between second and 14th was only eight seconds. There were clumps of grouped cars with short gaps between them, but there was quite a train behind me of cars, making it look and feel more like a sim race than usual.

I entered the series of races, and things changed a lot, though I figured out that it was due to the C-West RAZO Silvia being smack in the middle of the pack. It caused quite a jumble in the lap times of the bot cars because they were caught trying to get around this slow car, and the rest raced off. Restarted, making sure that it was paced back in the field, and things went much better. And the races I won handily before in the BRZ were more of a challenge. The cars were all more aggressive, attempting to pass me to get their places back, and often did for a time. In particular, the Gariyas, BRZs and RX7s were quite, dare I say it, tenacious, and fought me much of the way until I could use a curve to get some distance on them.

I won the Deep Forest race again by a fair margin, but the Fuji event, I finished 3rd behind the ARTA Gariya and the liveried BRZ. The BRZ went flat out down the straight and I was positioned too close to get a draft boost to get around it so I followed it to the finish line.

For some reason, the bots race differently on Motegi than on other tracks, which is curious because the turns are mostly routine, even for the bots, and there are lots of straights to give them a chance to fly. However, they did better than they did prior to the update, and didn't veer out of the racing line as they did previously, but stayed in the racing line and used drafting to their advantage. The second place bot surprised me with a pass right at the finish line to steal my win.

Suzuka was another somewhat close race, with a satisfying train of cars chasing after me much of the race. Managed to win, but was still third in the points total, tied with a bot. The Nurburgring GP course was a surprisingly feisty race, with a number of little battles for position, one of which took me out briefly. Got back on the track and managed to nab second place, for a second place in points when it was all over.

I repeated those races a lot with similar results, because when I kept the RAZO Silvia back in the pack, a car that's always in the list, the competition is always much better and the field closer. Typically, the first 12 cars finish on Deep Forest within nine seconds or less of each other. On Fuji, the first eight to ten cars are within nine seconds of each other. On Motegi, they tend to be slower and group in clumps, so the first five or so are within nine seconds. On Suzuka, results are similar to Fuji. The twisty Nurb GP course is less of a challenge to the bots than Motegi, and typically I find six or seven cars within nine seconds of first.

I didn't get as much time as I wanted to spend on the 550-ish PP range for the Dream Car Championship, I believe the first I-A series, but again, Motegi seems to have something hard coded into it to spread the bots out more than usual, not sure why. But the bots do a better job than before of following the racing line, not veering out of it for no reason, and taking turns a little more sensibly.

It does seem that some ranges of cars and certain tracks have something to do with bot behavior, something I hadn't expected, so I'll be returning to this subject again soon. In any case, this feels like a fresher racing experience to me, and a welcome update.

Last edited:
Ok, I've just ran the Willow Springs 10 laps race again, with a very competent McLaren MP4-12C @596PP and sports soft tires. This same car, was one of the car that I could
easily win this race. Even when the big boys, the FXX, Huayra and F1 appear.

After 1.07... Hmm nope.

The other cars seem to have a constant pace, sometimes passing each other. I saw a Nissan GTR pass the GT500 in a beautiful way @ the second corner.

About the big boys, well... I finished 3rd. Simply couldn't catch the FXX or the F1. I've pitted @ lap 5 as always, the FXX did the same. The F1 pitted at lap 6.

Curious facts: the F1 did the fastest lap of the race. Even faster than me.

The FXX was using sports medium tires!

IMG_20140519_245922596.jpg
IMG_20140519_010034302_HDR.jpg

I feel like "AI improvements" would be something mentioned in changelogs.

I haven't noticed a difference. AI is still too easy and dumb.

I am in the "no change" camp. I have been running the 550pp and 600pp races in IA at Mt Panorama lately when tuning cars for 500pp and 550pp respectively. I honestly can't see much difference in the racing or results since the 1.07 update. Cheers

I feel like "AI improvements" would be something mentioned in changelogs.

I haven't noticed a difference. AI is still too easy and dumb.
We've got 30+ changes in the last three updates that didn't show up in the changelog so obviously they don't note everything. You'd think fixing the pit bug would show up as it's been widely talked about these last few months and there was no mention of that either.

Latest Posts

Back