AI slow down to let you win.

• Thread starter Alss
  • 427 comments
The worst thing ist they not only slow down to let you catch up again, the keep getting slower and slower until you pass them.

You can perfectly see it in the replay if you switch to the leading car and watch his laptimes.

I did it on serveral races, best you can see it in the 10min. Race in Int. B , Rome.

First i took the BMW 1 tii, and did about the same lap times as the leader with the M3GTR (~1:22)
So i was always 10-12sec. behind. First 3/4 laps he did 1:22, then he started to slow down 1:25, 1:29, 1:30.
7th lap i closed up and passed him and he started to go faster again.

Next i took the NSX-R, i was behind him in 4th lap but did not pass ( stayed ~1sec behind)
First he was driving ok, i could not keep up at the straights, but he started breaking way to soon and rolling around corners, after 3 laps of this game i had to take back throttle to 70% on the straight to not pass him. Last 3 laps we did 1:26, 1:27, 1:29.

Next i did the same but this time passed him in 4th lap and kept on going fast, guess how his laptimes looked like in the replay ?
1:22, 1:22, 1:22, 1:22, 1:22, 1:22, 1:22

This is really FUBAR, worst thing ever in my opinion.
Makes the whole carrer mode kind of pointless, why spent hours doing races i cant lose no matter how bad i drive or how bad my car selection was ?

I could understand it a tiny little bit if they would only slow down until you are lets say 2sec. behind them and then continue with 100%
Would make it more easy for newcomers and lets be onest, many races are impossible to win on a really equal car if you only have 3 laps and are 10sec. back and last on start.

But slowing down more and more until you pass them is so wrong...

It is just against all rules of sportsmenship and competition and terrible to have in a "driving simulator"

This comes to mind:
"Let Michael pass for the championship"

The A.i. Has always been like that in GT. In races with slower cars you nearly bring another car to a stop! As soon as you get close to them, they lift off, or even hit the brakes in some cases.

The A.I. is very dull. You can definitely tell it's being controlled by a computer, excuse me for being captian obvious.

That was one thing about Shift 2. The A.i. was aggressive and very realistic.

Well its hard to make a stand when just about every game is made for the casuals. Since they will buy all of those cheesy plot lined games and FPS's and now they want to go fast without the work or the self satisfaction of grinding to get money for the upgraded parts.

This is one of the most annoying things about the game. You can be 10+ sec behind the lead AI car going in to the final lap and manage to catch them 3 or 4 corners in because of how much they slow down.

I have a perfect story. I was doing the I-A championship and was on the final race on the Nurburgring 24. I was in an stock Deltawing and the AI behind was in the C9 Mercedes Benz . So he obviously had the advantage on the final front stretch before the line but he literally pulled beside me, then got behind me and pushed me passed the finish line! I have a the race saved too.

Despite all this, i still love the game. I never expected much out of career, so for me its just a tool to make money and collect cars. For me gt is about hot lapping awesome cars on awesome tracks with the most realistic physics you can get on a console. And for those three things nothing beats gt.

Its called rubber banding. Old GT games did it.

I'm not a big fan but I'd much rather have at least a shot of a competitive race than the absolutely lifeless AI in the last GT games.

Also, as you progress through career, the "slowing down" they do to let you catch up becomes less and less.

What is competitive in waiting for a opponent until he passes you ?!?

Never noticed it in GT5, it was possible to not win a race there.

As i said, it would be kind of ok if they only would slow down a little bit until you catch up.
But parking it until you are P1 ?

And the whole thing would be unnecessary if they would just make the races a bit longer and let you start in the middle of the grid. You could adjust the difficulty with your choice of car perfectly.
(If you could see the weight/power/tires/tuning they use you could even get it competitive on the 1st attempt)

As it is now you cant work around this s.. , take a slow car they pity brake till you pass, take a fast car it is also no challenge.

I also find this ego stroking AI quite annoying.

First of all, I do applaud PD for its improvement. There are lots of tiny positive facts that go unnoticed when held up to the disappointments. The AI has a lot of potential that sadly is not fully used.

My most noticeable AI slowdown incident was in the 15min Apricott Hill race. I was using a SLS GT3 and up against a McLaren F1 GT in 4th. The first 5min I was catching first at a fast rate (some slower car) while the F1 was gaining positions (GT5 AI didn't do this!) once it reached first it started to pull away and extended the gap to me at .5 to 1.5 secs a lap. With 6min to go it suddenly slowed and I made up 8secs a sector and passed it quite quickly (at first I thought he was stuck laping). The following laps after that where quite fun however, as it regained its pace and I had to actually race the AI.

I think the current AI can easily be patched to give everyone what they want:
  • Adjustable "pace" slider to suit beginners and the hardcore Simracers
  • better behavior on the line: No early braking, no parking on the corner exit. A slow AI should still be smooth.
  • Get rid of the ego stroking slow down! I felt really cheated after I caught wind of what was happening.
With these few changes I don't think there would be much to complain about. The AI has a lot of potential in its current form, it only needs a bit of smoothing. I actually wouldn't mind the AI gaining pace while following as it would allow the AI to retake my position and me having to defend against the AI.

This has been mentioned in various threads throughout this forum and on other boards as well so it's indeed a problem experienced by many.

Now compare this to the AI of, let's say Codemaster's F1 2010/11/12 series. You chose the AI difficulty levels and the AI reacts accordingly - from more conservative braking into corners to punishing you for any mistakes you make on track. Not to mention the AI will overtake each other and, sometimes, crash out.

I haven't seen a single crashing-out/spinning-out AI car in GT6...

I too have experienced this, & it's beyond a joke. While other developers are programming advanced AI based on data collected from human drivers & processed in the cloud, PD are patronising us with broken AI from the stone age. I find most of the offline races a chore, which is such a shame as this game has great content in the form of cars, tracks, & physics.

I've noticed the AI slowing down if you're quite far behind with a lap to go, but if you catch them earlier then they are a lot more aggressive than they used to be. I've been bumped off the track a couple of times.

They bump into you because they stick to the racing line no matter what, your ill-luck if you get into their way.
Also the crazy slipstream makes them bump into your back often.
(Happend to me also, hard to get your braking right if you arrive with 350 instead of 290kmh...)

but if you catch them earlier then they are a lot more aggressive than they used to be.
Only if you overtake them right away, if you stay behind they slow down at least 10% (wich is a awful lot, just think of the 7% rule on F1), maybe even more.

At least Drivatars race, I have Forza 5 and as much as I prefer GT6 I will say in F5 the AI system is not from the dark age at least T10 are willing to try and improve its AI ok there not perfect but they far better than the Sunday drivers we have to put up with.
If you got the time, could you elaborate why you like GT6 better? Physics, graphics, amount of tracks and cars, racing experience (lol, hard to believe)? Thanks

Ok ive been doing some research and im gutted with my findings , the AI in this game are actually programmed to lose.... I'll explain.

I ran a race in a GT86 up against a corvette and I won now how is this possible ? Ok I'll watch the replay and check the live timing , on the first lap the corvette was running sector times at around 6 seconds faster per sector but on the second lap his sector times had dropped by 10 secs a sector so in affect he was slowing down to let me win , this is terrible I thought so the next race I used a corvette also and by the end of the first lap both the AI corvette and a Mustang were a long way ahead and to top that I spun it doing a 360 oh well thought I've lost this one but to my shock two bends later I was right up behind them and took the win.

So again I checked the live timing and found both the lead cars slowed right down in the next sector by around 8 seconds , they handed me the win .

Why would this game be programmed in this way ? Its not racing its reverse cheating , I want to win because ive raced well I want to feel chuffed with myself not feel I won because they let me.
Because in PD's opinion they think it's more profitable business trolling the average noob, making him think to be a good racer than actually offer difficoulty level options. A casual noob will still complain if he can't win on max difficoult level.

But this way PD are basically saying "screw you" to all other decent skilled users.

Ok, but why should we, the experienced players, suffer just because PD have to make the game more accessible. Casuals won't put much time in this game anyway and, if they want to enjoy themselves, they are better off with NFS or something like that...
Did you ever consider that GT is aimed for the casual racer/gamer.

I can't believe this ****. At first AI was so promising but now... This is not a racing game at all. Why are they trying to develop GT for everybody? I'm so furious right now that I don't even want to touch this game anymore.

It's so sad because I already own GT1, GT2, GT3, GT Concept, GT4, GT4 Prologue, GT5, GT5 Prologue...

If you got the time, could you elaborate why you like GT6 better? Physics, graphics, amount of tracks and cars, racing experience (lol, hard to believe)? Thanks
He's comparing GT6 AI to F5 AI - after all, this thread is for discussion about the AI (check the title and OP). There are other threads for everything you mentioned.:rolleyes:;)

Back