AI slow down to let you win.

• Thread starter Alss
  • 427 comments
The AI may let you win "occasionally" but they seem more aggressive than GT5 and they have spun me out a few times, though at least they still let me win!

They usually overtake me while I am crashing|

The AI may let you win "occasionally" but they seem more aggressive than GT5 and they have spun me out a few times, though at least they still let me win!

They usually overtake me while I am crashing|
Yes, in a sesne the AI is way more aggressive, but its more in the way of trying to wreck you then race you, the AI it seems at some tracks is not programmed to see the player, I have lost count of how many times I have been spun out , or been pitted by the AI

Absolutely farcical, there's no other way to describe it.

Just done the National A Schwarzwald League 1-lap Nordscheife Race. Optimistically entered it in a completely stock Scirocco R which is way below the PP limit (438 vs 560).

Anyhow, I was a consistent 20-ish seconds off the front until somewhere after the Karussell, when the gap suddenly reduced to 10 seconds and then I caught and passed the leading 2003 M3 GTR down the straight. While I was catching the M3 up through the preceding corners it was completely obvious that it was going slowly.

Begs the question whether there are limits to what lengths the AI is programmed to slow down? When I get the opportunity I might try entering in different cars or driving at different paces and see how that affects the AI's times.

Another example from the previous night is the B-5 mission race at Silverstone. Your opponent (in an identical Nissan GT-R) gets a three second start, is easily passed within the first few corners and is then glued to your bumper for the rest of the lap. In order to make the situation even more ridiculous this event has a collision penalty, and the rubber banding catapults the AI into the back of you when slowing down for a corner. This is obviously deemed your fault.

From my limited experience with GT6 it feels the driving is better than ever. Unfortunately my impression so far is that the racing has never been worse.

Has anyone figured out how to change to opponent vehicles during replays yet? If so, we could examine their inputs and such. The other night I was button mashing to see what would happen. All I found was "select" changes view, "square" I think does a close up, and start obviously exits. Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Has anyone figured out how to change to opponent vehicles during replays yet? If so, we could examine their inputs and such. The other night I was button mashing to see what would happen. All I found was "select" changes view, "square" I think does a close up, and start obviously exits. Sorry if this has been brought up already.
Press X or start during the replay, scroll over on the menu that pops up, open up car select menu, choose the car. This is also how you get to the photo mode option. Note: you have to exit the auto-start replay, then choose to play the replay at the race screen.

Press X or start during the replay, scroll over on the menu that pops up, open up car select menu, choose the car. This is also how you get to the photo mode option. Note: you have to exit the auto-start replay, then choose to play the replay at the race screen.
👍:cheers:

I was checking the AI times today after one of my races. I did not see much evidence of the AI slowing down, possibly a little but not much at all. The race in question was in IA section on Grand Valley. The winning car posted a best lap of 1:56.8 3 of his laps were in the 1:57 range and the last lap was a low 1:58 I think the 1:56 came from drafting as he moved ahead of the previous leader.

In this race I was in a car that just couldn't quite get it done and ended up in 4th place. If the AI would have slowed down and let me win then I would have won but that did not happen. I was running 1:56 - 1:57 every lap and I did gain the most on the last lap where I was able to squeeze a 1:55 out of the car I was in.

I ran the race again in a different car, one that was to fast this time turning avg laps of 1:48 and the AI still turned laps in the range of what i saw the first time around.

Of course the AI do seem to get stronger in IA and stronger again in S

I don't think GT6 has rubber band A.I.They probably use a similar system as GT5s B-Spec where, as they get close to other cars, they start to heat up and go a little faster except, they don't make any mistakes when they're aggravated.

I don't think GT6 has rubber band A.I.They probably use a similar system as GT5s B-Spec where, as they get close to other cars, they start to heat up and go a little faster except, they don't make any mistakes when they're aggravated.
There is rubberband, 100% sure...

It depends on the race how bad it is. In the early Int.B races they slow down extreme, at least 10% maybe more.
In the last championship it seems a little less extreme, but still very noticeable.
(I did it with a stock MP4-12C/sport hard against 2 Veyrons and a F1, not easy but possible. Should be impossible if you look at the gaps after the first 1-2 laps)

So maybe you can have a little more challenging races in IA or S, but NA, NB and IB is a joke.

BTW:
If you watch the replays from other cars the time of the first lap is not correct, because the time start not running when he goes over the start line. It starts running when you pass the line, so first lap shows a much lower time than what he did.
This makes it a bit hard to see the rubberbanding in 3lap races (in 2nd they already start to slow down).
But in 5/8 laps it is very noticeable.

no i dont have a ps4 but i know its specs... i play mainly PC games and playstation for the exclusives so the ps4 is a bit close to my pc power... believe it or not my pc run games 4x times better than ps3 in terms of graphics , frame rate smoothness ect... , ps3 is so old tech now bro and so weak
Jeah, sure the PS4 is more advanced in power and hardware over the PS3, also its menues and flexibility is much better. But you can't put your own music, pictures, videos etc on it, as far as i know even portable harddrives are not yet supportet. The power is a great step forward, but the usability is far from the PS3 yet.

@Topic:
Did the national B supercar festival yersterday, cars over 620 PP take part in it. I was driving the 15th Anv Ford '66 GT with race exhaust (about 530 PP). I smoked the aventador on the straight (stock trans from the Ford is revlimited by 280km/h)! Fastest car in the field was the mclaren MP4-12C, he smoked ME on every straight, also ramming me of the road or made me spin. When i pulled a few seconds lead over the mclaren, he allways was right back on my tail on start/finish line....
(the Track is monza)

Last edited:
When i pulled a few seconds lead over the mclaren, he allways was right back on my tail on start/finish line....
Once they are behind you they start driving at 100%, and since the slipstream effect is way to strong you have little chance of escape. If you let him pass he will slow down again, it is just a question of timing/where the finish line is.

Also i find the MP4-12C is to strong and to easy to drive compared to others.

From what I noticed
The worse I drive the worse AI drives. If I drive clean and without mistakes in equal car (i am thinking touring series) AI becomes challenging. But if let's say I spin then AI slowdown become very noticeable.

My advice drive clean and don't spin. :-)

I second that. And it doesn't help if you bring up yet another example where you won a race against 600+ PP AI cars in your 350 PP Kei car. The slower you are, the slower the AI is.

Just to be clear, I do not condone this, but adapt to it (as long as PD doesn't change it) - try to drive clean, do not chose ridiculously underpowered cars, but something that's actually fun and it's a very similar experience to GT5. The devil we know...

Total BS.
I have no idea what that guy was trying to say.
I don't think I'm playing the same game as some of you. The ai caused me to have spin outs and pretty much knocked me off of the course a few times. It's not like gt5 where it feels like I'm the only one trying to win.

In denial or Youre worse than the AI.

The AI is atrocious in this game.... Borderline patronising. When I set a game to the hardest difficulty I expect a battle.

I second that. And it doesn't help if you bring up yet another example where you won a race against 600+ PP AI cars in your 350 PP Kei car. The slower you are, the slower the AI is.

Just to be clear, I do not condone this, but adapt to it (as long as PD doesn't change it) - try to drive clean, do not chose ridiculously underpowered cars, but something that's actually fun and it's a very similar experience to GT5. The devil we know...
I tryed that, if i use a really equal car they still slow down because most races are to short to win in a equal car.
You have to take a car good enough to be 1st in the middle of the race to prevent them from slowing down, but this means you are much faster in the 2nd half, so also no challenge.

You cant beat the stupid rubberband, this is what makes it so bad.

It is ok to make it easier for not so good drivers, but please dont take every last bit of challenge away for the others.

How was this new to anyone who played GT5? As I said from early views and now playing it, the seemed to have meshed GT5 with earlier GTs by giving either faster cars to the AI up front (along with the cushion of gaps in rolling starts) and also made the first four cars faster, with the rest especially the fifth car being a road block.

Also the only time I've been hit by an AI is if I come into their racing line or braking point and they aren't willing to make corrections like actual competition (e.g. changing racing line or breaking points since I'm faster in that moment). I haven't been spun or punted into a wall since GT4 and prior when the blind/angry AIs would get you.

Haha, i remember the US tour in international B, there was a Ford Focus RS driving will all the vettes and camaros :lol: Seriously, a Focus VS big american muscle?! Sure he'll smoke them all :embarrassed:

How was this new to anyone who played GT5? As I said from early views and now playing it, the seemed to have meshed GT5 with earlier GTs by giving either faster cars to the AI up front (along with the cushion of gaps in rolling starts) and also made the first four cars faster, with the rest especially the fifth car being a road block.

Also the only time I've been hit by an AI is if I come into their racing line or braking point and they aren't willing to make corrections like actual competition (e.g. changing racing line or breaking points since I'm faster in that moment). I haven't been spun or punted into a wall since GT4 and prior when the blind/angry AIs would get you.
I don't believe anyone said it was new but that said it certainly wasn't this bad in GT5 but even if it was it doesn't mean it should continual in this way.

I don't believe anyone said it was new but that said it certainly wasn't this bad in GT5 but even if it was it doesn't mean it should continual in this way.

I agree it shouldn't continue this way, but at the same time considering the number of threads already addressing this issue, that is why I said what I've said. I've already been highly critical of the AI and it jumped up more so when the video of Jordan playing the game before release was put up. Now it's back to what I felt when I played GT5 I don't see any improvements really.

Another example from the previous night is the B-5 mission race at Silverstone. Your opponent (in an identical Nissan GT-R) gets a three second start, is easily passed within the first few corners and is then glued to your bumper for the rest of the lap. In order to make the situation even more ridiculous this event has a collision penalty, and the rubber banding catapults the AI into the back of you when slowing down for a corner. This is obviously deemed your fault.

From my limited experience with GT6 it feels the driving is better than ever. Unfortunately my impression so far is that the racing has never been worse.

Yes this is ridiculous!, just golded it by 0.020 seconds thankfully and just right before finish line the red AI still tried to knock me down literally!! glad there wasn't any penalty!

Most of the time I was watching that stupid AI just getting bigger and bigger in my rear mirror and to make sure he doesn't pass me because that would mean trouble (collision penalty)

Just drive faster and brake later :D

I did it 1,703 under Gold and he was never anywhere near my back.
Edit: 3,599 (2:17,201 Gold has become way to easy, was no where near a perfect lap)

The problem here is the way to strong slipstream effect, but if you get exits from the last corners before the straights right you pull just enough of a gap that he not gets you. And his disadvantage is that he is faster in your slipstream, so has to brake early.
Also try out how much you can cut the inside of corners without penalty.

Last edited:
Rubber banding is PISSING ME OFF!!!! The closer I get to the front, the worse the handling gets. Get in 1st, Sport Soft tires become the worst possible tires, Comfort Hard. More wheel needs to be applied to make a turn. The rear end steps out under braking, even when the diff is over adjusted to keep the car when braking.

The IB LeMans European Tour is giving me fits!!! I'm using the AMG GT3 15th Anny. The car goes from AMAZING, to garbage.

I just found out how this works i think.

I just had the best race ever since playing GT6 ! (Last race Allstars in IB)

The trick is using better tires, the opponents use race hard and i used soft sport.
(So far i always used the stock hard sport)

The leading Huayra did 1:59 1st lap, 2:01 in 2nd and 2:00 in 3rd
I did 2:00, 1:57 and 1:56.

Now the fun part, i was behind him towards the end of lap 3.
The whole 4th i was direct behind him and pushed as good as i could, but he really stepped it up !
I did the lap in 1:55,2 he did a 1:55,4 , improved his best quite a bit under pressure !
I passed him just after the line out of slipstream, pushed hard the whole 5th lap, he alway just behind me,
I did 5th in 2:55,3 he got 2nd place 0,38 behind.

Not a single contact with him the whole race btw !

And that MP4-12C handles f...ingfantastic with those soft sports.

That replay will be my new favorite.

Crazy:
I did the exact same race 2h before just with hard sport, it went totally different.
The Huayra also started with 1:59, 2:00 but in 3rd he had already slowed down to 2:05, i guess because i was still way behind.
4th he did 2:06,5 in 5th 2:08,5, in total he gifted me ~24sec.
I got up to him mid 5th lap and could pass easy becaus he was driving so slow, he was also not pushing me much for the rest of the lap.
Same result but such a horrible race.

So the secret seems to be to match the opponents closely with car&tires, they don't pity you any more and give you a fight instead.

I did a Silverstone race, the rabbit was 12.7 sec ahead at lap 2 then all of a sudden I was on it's tail after the esses, sure seemed to slow down for me there. Also a Matterhorn race, the one at night, the lead car seemed to come backwards.

Yes, I know that, but the ghost car is a damn useful thing. I really found it helped me in GT5 and I left it on all the time. Now the silly thing gets in the way and slows me down. It's nuts. Who thought this was a good idea?
you can also turn the ghost into a line that moves around on track and doesnt get in the way

Haha, i remember the US tour in international B, there was a Ford Focus RS driving will all the vettes and camaros :lol: Seriously, a Focus VS big american muscle?! Sure he'll smoke them all :embarrassed:
goin on gt5 and see if you can beat a 657 nur lap with a muscle and sport tyres see how easy it is without using a 1000bhp viper obv considering the rs is 530ish pp

Back