Car of The Month: April! - Build your own Racing Modification/Touring Car!

Reviews for the M3s.

All tests were done at SSR11 using Racing Hard tires, TCS at 0 and ABS at 1.

@Bowtie-muscle BMW M3 Coupe '07 - 3'52.975
I don't know if anyone's pointed it out yet, but the initial final gear needs to be set at 5.500 to get the right gear ratios instead of 5.000 as indicated in your tune's link. Just wanted to point that out first. Now for the actual impressions:

This car felt so rigid, and immediately upon starting the test in the final corner, understeer through fast bends was noticeable. The car really speeds away like a rocket down the main straight, the fastest I've gotten was 291km/h before hitting the first corner. I had to lift off just a bit everytime I go into the first corner, but that's understandable since the car doesn't have front downforce, and going through that fast right hander without slowing down even a bit was just asking for trouble.

Braking from high speeds felt really nervous, as if the wheels were gonna lock if I try to brake late, I had to slow down really early for the tight turn 2, and I felt like I was always leaving some time there. My bad on not being able to find a consistent braking point, but at least the car slows down enough to get through turn 2 without crashing.

Now the gears on this car felt really good, because on corner exits, I couldn't even drop down to 2nd on my tunes without fearing for my life. The gears were long, but they kept the power in check, which meant I didn't worry about wasting time spinning the wheels on corner exit. Traction is excellent on this car, never expected a road car with near-600HP to have so much low speed grip on RH.

On the longer bends, the car really started to show a lot of understeer, which meant I had to be patient on the gas to keep the car on the right line. On the final corner it doesn't really show that much, but on the shorter, tighter sweepers, I just couldn't avoid it.

One thing I love the most though, is that the car can take bumps. The bumpy kink is always a nervous corner, but the car just took it like it was nothing. I could attack kerbs without worrying about the rear breaking out after it goes over. Gave me a lot of confidence in making up whatever time was lost from the nervous braking.

Overall, pretty balanced car, I like it. SSR11 brought out the good and bad, but it still felt good around the track.

@shaunm80 BMW M3 Coupe '07 - 3'52.341
I had to stretch out the final gear just so the car can go fast enough on the main straight, and it worked really well. The short individual gear ratios meant that acceleration of this car was so quick, and the car didn't feel really stiff out of the last corner so I could actually take the first corner flat out in this car.

Braking was nice, it felt strong but it didn't make the car stiff while braking hard, so that closed up my braking distances a bit. The rear of the car felt a bit loose on corner exit though, as I was having wheelspin out of the slower 2nd gear corners, something I'd attribute to a slightly strong LSD initial and accel.

Turn-in response is pretty nice, as I was fully releasing the brakes after I already started turning in, something which would normally give me understeer. What gave me understeer though was the tight sweeping corners, the car just slid off the racing line through those turns in the same way that Bowtie's M3 did, just with a little oversteer once you get on the gas.

Also, the car does not like hitting bumps at all, a good contrast with Bowtie's M3, probably because this one had stiffer springs, even though Bowtie's had stiff dampers. The hairpin near the end of sector 2 was almost impossible to do flat out after hitting the apex as the car immediately starts to drift. It made me lose a few tenths on the kink because even if the car runs smooth going over the middle line of the kink, the rear just starts to dance a bit on the exit.

There was a bit of everything with this car, understeer, oversteer, wheelpsin. It's quick, no doubt about that, but it could still go quicker with a few refinements.

@randyrockstiff BMW M3 Coupe '07 - 3'52.262
This car was just daring me to be brave. The handling is so good, but always on the edge at the same time. Coming out of the final corner to start the test, it was obvious this car's got acceleration, the gears were relatively short compared to the other two cars, after all.

In speaking of the gears, this one reminded me of my cars, I never dared to touch 2nd gear cause 3rd gear was the safest gear coming into and out of the slow corners, but even then, it still had wheelspin. Then again, I couldn't just shift to 4th or reduce throttle since that killed time, so I just let the wheelspin ride out before the tires regained grip again. It was bearable, at least, but the LSD could've been set a bit lower to at least reduce the amount of wheelspin.

Braking was good, similar feel to shaun's M3 only a bit more loose on exit because of the suspension and LSD settings. I could trail brake to kill a little understeer, but not too much as oversteer was just as easy to have.

Cornering was a blast in this car, always on the edge depending on how much speed you're carrying in and how impatient you are on the gas. I loved it, though, the oversteer actually worked both ways, it helped me turn in the corner exit of the 90 degree corners better, but it also killed time on the tight sweepers. I could drive aggressively, attacking kerbs, but it was also too easy to over drive and jump towards the wall.

Not a dull moment in this car, could've been faster at the line but shaun's M3 just started gaining because of this car's shorter top end gearing. I really enjoyed it, though, it was fun trying to find where I can use the oversteer.

Same car, three different tunes, surprisingly different flavors.

If I were to put it into words, I'd say Bowtie's was minty, something that feels smooth and refreshing. Shaun's was sweet, good bit of fun which also ends bad if you have too much. Then we have Randy's, downright spicy, you gotta be brave to even try and attack with this, it's a bit hot on the hands.

For an unofficial DC, it'd go like this.
Bowtie - 8.7/10
shaunm - 8.9/10
randy - 9.1/10

Last edited:
@Thorin Cain
I'm trying to stay up on things, still doing on my phone as I've not yet purchased a new PC :indiff:
But can you let me know if your times for @GhostRider65 and @TheInfamousJEW6 were on RH tires.
Hoping to have my computer issue cleared up soon, until then, please bare with me. Have reviews left to post, some tunes to get linked and am trying to update leader boards. Lots of work :crazy:
They were both on RH 👍

Reviews for the M3s.

I don't know if anyone's pointed it out yet, but the initial final gear needs to be set at 5.500 to get the right gear ratios instead of 5.000 as indicated in your tune's link. Just wanted to point that out first. Now for the actual impressions:

This car felt so rigid, and immediately upon starting the test in the final corner, understeer through fast bends was noticeable. The car really speeds away like a rocket down the main straight, the fastest I've gotten was 291km/h before hitting the first corner. I had to lift off just a bit everytime I go into the first corner, but that's understandable since the car doesn't have front downforce, and going through that fast right hander without slowing down even a bit was just asking for trouble.

Braking from high speeds felt really nervous, as if the wheels were gonna lock if I try to brake late, I had to slow down really early for the tight turn 2, and I felt like I was always leaving some time there. My bad on not being able to find a consistent braking point, but at least the car slows down enough to get through turn 2 without crashing.

Now the gears on this car felt really good, because on corner exits, I couldn't even drop down to 2nd on my tunes without fearing for my life. The gears were long, but they kept the power in check, which meant I didn't worry about wasting time spinning the wheels on corner exit. Traction is excellent on this car, never expected a road car with near-600HP to have so much low speed grip on RH.

On the longer bends, the car really started to show a lot of understeer, which meant I had to be patient on the gas to keep the car on the right line. On the final corner it doesn't really show that much, but on the shorter, tighter sweepers, I just couldn't avoid it.

One thing I love the most though, is that the car can take bumps. The bumpy kink is always a nervous corner, but the car just took it like it was nothing. I could attack kerbs without worrying about the rear breaking out after it goes over. Gave me a lot of confidence in making up whatever time was lost from the nervous braking.

Overall, pretty balanced car, I like it. SSR11 brought out the good and bad, but it still felt good around the track.

I had to stretch out the final gear just so the car can go fast enough on the main straight, and it worked really well. The short individual gear ratios meant that acceleration of this car was so quick, and the car didn't feel really stiff out of the last corner so I could actually take the first corner flat out in this car.

Braking was nice, it felt strong but it didn't make the car stiff while braking hard, so that closed up my braking distances a bit. The rear of the car felt a bit loose on corner exit though, as I was having wheelspin out of the slower 2nd gear corners, something I'd attribute to a slightly strong LSD initial and accel.

Turn-in response is pretty nice, as I was fully releasing the brakes after I already started turning in, something which would normally give me understeer. What gave me understeer though was the tight sweeping corners, the car just slid off the racing line through those turns in the same way that Bowtie's M3 did, just with a little oversteer once you get on the gas.

Also, the car does not like hitting bumps at all, a good contrast with Bowtie's M3, probably because this one had stiffer springs, even though Bowtie's had stiff dampers. The hairpin near the end of sector 2 was almost impossible to do flat out after hitting the apex as the car immediately starts to drift. It made me lose a few tenths on the kink because even if the car runs smooth going over the middle line of the kink, the rear just starts to dance a bit on the exit.

There was a bit of everything with this car, understeer, oversteer, wheelpsin. It's quick, no doubt about that, but it could still go quicker with a few refinements.

@randyrockstiff BMW M3 Coupe '07 - 2'52.262
This car was just daring me to be brave. The handling is so good, but always on the edge at the same time. Coming out of the final corner to start the test, it was obvious this car's got acceleration, the gears were relatively short compared to the other two cars, after all.

In speaking of the gears, this one reminded me of my cars, I never dared to touch 2nd gear cause 3rd gear was the safest gear coming into and out of the slow corners, but even then, it still had wheelspin. Then again, I couldn't just shift to 4th or reduce throttle since that killed time, so I just let the wheelspin ride out before the tires regained grip again. It was bearable, at least, but the LSD could've been set a bit lower to at least reduce the amount of wheelspin.

Braking was good, similar feel to shaun's M3 only a bit more loose on exit because of the suspension and LSD settings. I could trail brake to kill a little understeer, but not too much as oversteer was just as easy to have.

Cornering was a blast in this car, always on the edge depending on how much speed you're carrying in and how impatient you are on the gas. I loved it, though, the oversteer actually worked both ways, it helped me turn in the corner exit of the 90 degree corners better, but it also killed time on the tight sweepers. I could drive aggressively, attacking kerbs, but it was also too easy to over drive and jump towards the wall.

Not a dull moment in this car, could've been faster at the line but shaun's M3 just started gaining because of this car's shorter top end gearing. I really enjoyed it, though, it was fun trying to find where I can use the oversteer.

If I were to put it into words, I'd say Bowtie's was minty, something that feels smooth and refreshing. Shaun's was sweet, good bit of fun which also ends bad if you have too much. Then we have Randy's, downright spicy, you gotta be brave to even try and attack with this, it's a bit hot on the hands.

Bowtie - 8.7/10
shaunm - 8.9/10
randy - 9.1/10
Outstanding review, thank you.
My tunes seem a bit off as of late, but I'm still happy and appreciate the feedback.
Was Randys really a minute faster though?

They were both on RH 👍
Thought so, but had to ask, thanks.

Reviews for the M3s.

Bowtie - 8.7/10
shaunm - 8.9/10
randy - 9.1/10
Thanks for the review. I am happy enough with the comments. This car was one of the tougher ones for me to get right for some reason but you seemed to have gotten to grips with my tune okay. As you said, keep on its good side and your all right. go too nuts with it and you'll get that end of the world feeling. :)

Thanks for the review mate, I'm glad it kept you on your toes, I updated settings on the m3 a few days ago lol but don't know if you tried the new or old set up.

But all in all a great review, thanks buddy
Reviews for the M3s.

Bowtie - 8.7/10
shaunm - 8.9/10
randy - 9.1/10

Leaderboards should be all up to date. And I believe all tunes are now linked. I will get it cleaned up when my home computer issue is resolved.

Reviews will get linked by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Hello all...I am new here to the COTM. :)

I loved testing the RUF cars in the latest FITT challenge so I thought I would give the COTM a try. I have Shaun's BMW M3 CSL '03 in my garage and it is one of my favorite cars. I saw the M5 on the list for February and thought I would give it a bash...

1:26.000 - @shaunm80 BMW M5 '08 599pp

Trial Mountain (forward thank god!) on Racing Hard Tires with the tuner's recommended TCS: 1 ABS:1

First, if I recall correctly, I have never had a time ending at xx:xx.000 before...I find this cool for some reason. This was a super fun car to drive after testing all of the RUF cars. A very stable tune but quick with very good braking. I had to be a little careful getting back on the throttle at a couple of places around the track but it never hurt me...I quickly adapted and smoothed out my right foot to accommodate the bit of tail wag. Well done Shaun...👍

Note: please let me know if I did this correctly and posted all the required information to have my times posted. I will dial up some more cars on TM...

:cheers:

Hello all...I am new here to the COTM. :)

I loved testing the RUF cars in the latest FITT challenge so I thought I would give the COTM a try. I have Shaun's BMW M3 CSL '03 in my garage and it is one of my favorite cars. I saw the M5 on the list for February and thought I would give it a bash...

1:26.000 - @shaunm80 BMW M5 '08 599pp

Trial Mountain (forward thank god!) on Racing Hard Tires with the tuner's recommended TCS: 1 ABS:1

First, if I recall correctly, I have never had a time ending at xx:xx.000 before...I find this cool for some reason. This was a super fun car to drive after testing all of the RUF cars. A very stable tune but quick with very good braking. I had to be a little careful getting back on the throttle at a couple of places around the track but it never hurt me...I quickly adapted and smoothed out my right foot to accommodate the bit of tail wag. Well done Shaun...👍

Note: please let me know if I did this correctly and posted all the required information to have my times posted. I will dial up some more cars on TM...

Perfect way to review for CoTM. Useful information for me and the right information for Bowtie to add the time set to his lap time records. Thank you for the review, Indeed, the BMW is a really cool car but as you found out, you have to watch corner exit sometimes. Once you get the hang of the tune style, it is quite a fun way to drive. Well.. for me is it anyway. :) Great job.

@Bass Addict welcome to fray 👍 your review of a tune you test for CoTM is done how ever you want it to be done.
Although after sufforing with my CTR and a couple others that shall remain nameless. I would suggest you take
the Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ
trial-mountain-circuit_1-jpg.514082

trial-mountain-circuit_2-jpg.514083

trial-mountain-circuit-jpg.514084

It's a nice easy drive that you can really apex hunt with, or give it a little more power and let the tail go and grift it.
Ohh and the power and weight on the car are suggestions ;) set it up how ever you want

May I share something with you guys? For every tune I have reviewed and given times for, the only aid I used is ABS, set to 1.
That is also how I do it, and with grip set to real in Arcade Mode. Shaun does list most of his tunes with TC1, running TC0 will work just fine. So long as no one uses other aides or TC higher than 1, I'm cool with it.
@Bass Addict welcome to fray 👍 your review of a tune you test for CoTM is done how ever you want it to be done.
Although after sufforing with my CTR and a couple others that shall remain nameless. I would suggest you take
trial-mountain-circuit_1-jpg.514082

trial-mountain-circuit_2-jpg.514083

trial-mountain-circuit-jpg.514084

It's a nice easy drive that you can really apex hunt with, or give it a little more power and let the tail go and grift it.
I agree, your Lotus would also be good. Any other time would also work, as it never hurts to have more feedback.

Now, with that said, I may actually have the ability to start posting more reviews tomorrow. Finally :D

@Bowtie-muscle yeah IIRC @shaunm80 said he tunes non-FITT cars with TCS1 to speed it up for him as the resulting tune for his style works perfect with TCS 0. As he uses a DS3 it just helps keep the tail in check a bit so he is not spinning out all the time.
I understand were he is coming from too. I did that all the time on a DS3 with cars with more than 600 hp or Comfort tires.

I would like to join in as a tester, and test some of these CoTM tunes because I like testing cars than tuning them.
Feel free to, more than enough to choose from. Some I have not gotten to yet, but most will be enough to make you happy.

As for testing rules, there are none. You drive and give honest feedback. That simple.
If you want a time added to one of the leaderboards, just post a time and let me know which tires you used. They do have to be either sport soft or racing hard to get on the leaderboards.

I would suggest you take

Thanks for the welcome...:)

I took your suggestion and added the Subaru BRZ S '12 to my garage. I followed the upgraded tune link to create the Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ and headed out to Trial Mountain. ABS:1 TCS:0 Track set to real on Sports Soft Tires...

1:33.375 - @Otaliema & @shaunm80 Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ 500pp

This has to be the most stable and quick car at 500pp on SS tires I have ever had the
privilege to drive. The handling on this car is off the charts with very little "hard" braking required. Since Otaliema had a hand in the creation, I decided to drive / steer it with the throttle and timely gear shifting to get a little bit of a drift going. I was really able to push it through the tight sections without any fear off sliding off course and meeting the side of the mountain. I zipped through 15 laps without a care in the world just soaking up the sheer bliss of driving! Both of you, Well Done!! :bowdown:

Last edited:
Took the Honda S2000 from @Antares26 to Deep Forest Reverse using RH tires and got 1:14.845.

I like this car. I didn't think I would as I originally thought that it wouldn't be that great, but man it is fun. Don't push her too far in the corners, she doesn't like it too much. It has quick acceleration, it's pretty quick speedwise, and it's just fun to drive. I would keep it on technical courses as I think it wouldn't do well on fast tracks. I'll go so far as to call the car "Suki" in honour of that gorgeous lady from 2Fast 2Furious.

Took the Honda S2000 from @Antares26 to Deep Forest Reverse using RH tires and got 1:14.845.

I like this car. I didn't think I would as I originally thought that it wouldn't be that great, but man it is fun. Don't push her too far in the corners, she doesn't like it too much. It has quick acceleration, it's pretty quick speedwise, and it's just fun to drive. I would keep it on technical courses as I think it wouldn't do well on fast tracks. I'll go so far as to call the car "Suki" in honour of that gorgeous lady from 2Fast 2Furious.
Color it pink and call it Suki. Smack that a$$. :lol:

@Thorin Cain Gran Turismo S '08 (600PP) at Trial Mountain Circuit on Racing Hard Tyres track set/ Real.
I did 10 laps using my G29 wheel and a time of 1:23.657, this thing is fast and I like the way that you go around corners and the rear end of the car steps out a tiny bit but it does not upset the handling of the car, instead it makes the car faster around corners and you sir have got a very good handling car, because it must be good because this thing is staying in my garage :)👍.

@shaunm80 BMW MS '08 (599PP) at Trial Mountain Circuit on Racing Hard Tyres track set/ Real.
I did 10 laps with my best time of 1:24.329, this car is very stable but I found it in some corners if you accelerate to quickly it will make you lose control of the car, so I overcome this by a smooth acceleration and the issue had gone but overall this car has not got any problems using a G29 wheel very nice Shaun :cheers:.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome...:)

I took your suggestion and added the Subaru BRZ S '12 to my garage. I followed the upgraded tune link to create the Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ and headed out to Trial Mountain. ABS:1 TCS:0 Track set to real on Sports Soft Tires...

1:33.375 - @Otaliema & @shaunm80 Shotaliema Black Panther BRZ 500pp

This has to be the most stable and quick car at 500pp on SS tires I have ever had the
privilege to drive. The handling on this car is off the charts with very little "hard" braking required. Since Otaliema had a hand in the creation, I decided to drive / steer it with the throttle and timely gear shifting to get a little bit of a drift going. I was really able to push it through the tight sections without any fear off sliding off course and meeting the side of the mountain. I zipped through 15 laps without a care in the world just soaking up the sheer bliss of driving! Both of you, Well Done!! :bowdown:

Like Otaliema, I am glad that you liked this tune. It took a few attempts to get right first time and then we tinkered with it some more when the flat floor was added but between the two of us, we solved a lot of the minor issues this car had pretty easily. Great time set by the way. Should be up there with the top 500PP tunes hopefully with a time like that.
@Thorin Cain Gran Turismo S '08 (600PP) at Trial Mountain Circuit on Racing Hard Tyres track set/ Real.
I did 10 laps using my G29 wheel and a time of 1:24.225, this thing is fast and I like the way that you go around corners and the rear end of the car steps out a tiny bit but it does not upset the handling of the car, instead it makes the car faster around corners and you sir have got a very good handling car, because it must be good because this thing is staying in my garage :)👍.

@shaunm80 BMW MS '08 (599PP) at Trial Mountain Circuit on Racing Hard Tyres track set/ Real.
I did 10 laps with my best time of 1:24.329, this car is very stable but I found it in some corners if you accelerate to quickly it will make you lose control of the car, so I overcome this by a smooth acceleration and the issue had gone but overall this car has not got any problems using a G29 wheel very nice Shaun :cheers:.
Thanks for the review. I am happy to see another positive review for this tune. As I mentioned before, corner exit is the one area of this tune which needs a light finger but once you understand what this tune is about, getting around that is pretty easy.

I did 10 laps using my G29 wheel and a time of 1:24.225, this thing is fast and I like the way that you go around corners and the rear end of the car steps out a tiny bit but it does not upset the handling of the car, instead it makes the car faster around corners and you sir have got a very good handling car, because it must be good because this thing is staying in my garage :)👍
Thanks for the review :) I'm glad you found it to your liking...and faster than @shaunm80's M5 :sly: (I jest :lol:) I was pretty surprised by how well this felt on RH when I tried it before posting. I am very happy to know she'll be finding a good home :)

Thanks for the review :) I'm glad you found it to your liking...and faster than @shaunm80's M5 :sly: (I jest :lol:) I was pretty surprised by how well this felt on RH when I tried it before posting. I am very happy to know she'll be finding a good home :)
I am not surprised the Maserati is quicker than the Beemer. That car is a beast disguised as a comfort cruiser! It will certainly give Ferrari and Lambo a run for their money at this PP range in the handling department.

Back