Car of The Month: April! - Build your own Racing Modification/Touring Car!

I've been having internet issues at home today and I cant be bothered jumping back and forward getting links with my phone (such a pain :(). Hopefully it'll be sorted out tomorrow and I can get them up.

Got a Maserati and a C63 AMG (not mine but in my garage 👍) both for 600pp on RS but are ok on RH...and a little wayward on SS :eek: (Had fun testing the Italian stallion at Mid-Field on SS:))

I've been having internet issues at home today and I cant be bothered jumping back and forward getting links with my phone (such a pain :(). Hopefully it'll be sorted out tomorrow and I can get them up.

Got a Maserati and a C63 AMG (not mine but in my garage 👍) both for 600pp on RS but are ok on RH...and a little wayward on SS :eek: (Had fun testing the Italian stallion at Mid-Field on SS:))
Look forward to them. And agree, trying to do on your phone is a pain.

Nice test and review 👍
Was that my Vantage or did you build one?

I'm pretty sure it was yours. I couldn't tune cars to save my life.

But on that token, I do want to say that as it is, it feels a little too stiff for my liking. It's not as quick as the Jag, but at the moment it was faster than the DB9, BUT I forgot a part to install on the DB9, so I'll have to redo that one.

I'm pretty sure it was yours. I couldn't tune cars to save my life.

But on that token, I do want to say that as it is, it feels a little too stiff for my liking. It's not as quick as the Jag, but at the moment it was faster than the DB9, BUT I forgot a part to install on the DB9, so I'll have to redo that one.
It was not as good as the others for me either, close but not as good. Maybe I will have to see what softening it does. Thanks for the info:tup:

Ahh yes the DB9 vs XKR-S was a great challenge very close cars.
Found why PD gave the XKR two more PP 👍
@Bowtie-muscle we can submit any PP right? Cause I got a 350 Elise w/o a FF that feels like it has one :lol: on CS none the less.
It's almost ready in its unlimited form. I think I need to CR it to solve the tail roll at 240.

Ahh yes the DB9 vs XKR-S was a great challenge very close cars.
Found why PD gave the XKR two more PP 👍
@Bowtie-muscle we can submit any PP right? Cause I got a 350 Elise w/o a FF that feels like it has one :lol: on CS none the less.
It's almost ready in its unlimited form. I think I need to CR it to solve the tail roll at 240.
Any pp is ok, but flat floor is really what we are aiming at. Creating our own Touring Cars.

Being that someone, who will remain nameless, is keeping me quite busy,( :sly:) I managed to get a few more tunes tested. Some fun tunes to be had from this month's batch, but now on to those that I'm curious to see how they turn out. Will try and post times, reviews and get everything updated by tomorrow night as I'm not sure time will permit this evening.

Being that someone, who will remain nameless, is keeping me quite busy,( :sly:) I managed to get a few more tunes tested. Some fun tunes to be from this month's batch, but now on to those that I'm curious to see how they turn out. Will try and post times, reviews and get everything updated by tomorrow night as I'm not sure time will permit this evening.
I apologise for all the work I have created. Well, sort off. :sly: I just hope that all the tunes I post are fun for everyone.

Here it is.
Lotus Elise '11 Unlimited Full Bore, No ballast, No limits.
Elise003.jpg

It likes Sport Soft the best. Racing it gets twitchy, Medium and harder it gets slippery, but thats not a bad thing for smoking shots 👍:lol:
7 minutes at Green Hell, 1:10's at Mid field and 3:05's at SSR-11 (still learning my own track :ouch:)

Can't wait to get to grips with these Elise '11s :D

Got my internet back up so here's the two cars promised 👍

Maserati GranTurismo S - 600pp RS
Maserati 2.jpg

Sorry, don't have any photos with the racing number and big silly wing attached (body styled wing was applied ;)) I think you'd all agree, they do kind of ruin the looks....a lot :D

Mercedes Benz C63 AMG '08 - 600pp RS.By @Dirty_Duck
C63 AMG.jpg

I've not had much time to get the reviews of @TheInfamousJEW6 and @GhostRider65's FR-S' yet, but they are coming. I still want to take them round Trial Mountain for times and finish decoding my notes. A quick heads up for both of you though, I believe you both tune on DS3!? If so I had a run out with both of them on My G27 "practice day" and they both work out quite well with it for me, I actually think I prefer one of them that way than with the DS3...but which one :mischievous: Pssst, don't worry I'll be gentle.:D

Can't wait to get to grips with these Elise '11s :D

Got my internet back up so here's the two cars promised 👍

Maserati GranTurismo S - 600pp RS
View attachment 513247
Sorry, don't have any photos with the racing number and big silly wing attached (body styled wing was applied ;)) I think you'd all agree, they do kind of ruin the looks....a lot :D

Mercedes Benz C63 AMG '08 - 600pp RS.By @Dirty_Duck
View attachment 513246

I've not had much time to get the reviews of @TheInfamousJEW6 and @GhostRider65's FR-S' yet, but they are coming. I still want to take them round Trial Mountain for times and finish decoding my notes. A quick heads up for both of you though, I believe you both tune on DS3!? If so I had a run out with both of them on My G27 "practice day" and they both work out quite well with it for me, I actually think I prefer one of them that way than with the DS3...but which one :mischievous: Pssst, don't worry I'll be gentle.:D

Haha! Actually I tune on a DFGT wheel. I always used other's tunes when I was still on my DS3. Hope you enjoyed my FR-S! Before the flat floor conversion it had the more miles on it than any other car in my garage. :cheers:

Haha! Actually I tune on a DFGT wheel. I always used other's tunes when I was still on my DS3. Hope you enjoyed my FR-S! Before the flat floor conversion it had the more miles on it than any other car in my garage. :cheers:
I stand corrected :)👍 Well, in that case your's works out just fine on a DS3 too :sly:

I've spent quite some time with this car too, and her two Japanese sisters. It's such a nice little car to drive around, stock or tuned, I'm really getting quite fond of them :)

Ok, so once again I believe I am up to date with linking/listing the tunes and reviews. Lap times have also been updated on the leader boards, except for the times I need to post in reviews. They will be coming soon and I have plenty more tunes to try and get to.

@Otaliema and @Thorin Cain - Thanks for joining in boys 👍 , those three will get tested before I proceed with the 100 tunes from shaun ** cough ** I mean, the other 10 or so I still have to get to. :sly: Speaking of, @shaunm80, you amaze me at how many you have pounded out this month. Been enjoying them and looking forward to the rest. Still have your RX-7 to get to, some how I have missed that one. Since Thorin did your 370Zs, I will be skipping until I get caught up on the rest. It's actually fun for me to be able to compare the times at the different tracks, takes the chore out of it. :)

Ok, so once again I believe I am up to date with linking/listing the tunes and reviews. Lap times have also been updated on the leader boards, except for the times I need to post in reviews. They will be coming soon and I have plenty more tunes to try and get to.

@Otaliema and @Thorin Cain - Thanks for joining in boys 👍 , those three will get tested before I proceed with the 100 tunes from shaun ** cough ** I mean, the other 10 or so I still have to get to. :sly: Speaking of, @shaunm80, you amaze me at how many you have pounded out this month. Been enjoying them and looking forward to the rest. Still have your RX-7 to get to, some how I have missed that one. Since Thorin did your 370Zs, I will be skipping until I get caught up on the rest. It's actually fun for me to be able to compare the times at the different tracks, takes the chore out of it. :)
:lol: I have been proactive recently when I couldn't get to sleep straight away. I would tune for a few hours late at night or when i got up. I had quite a few of these cars in my garage at various PPs already so it was a case of adjusting them to fit with Flat Floors and additional downforce. The only cars that gave me problems where the BMW M5 and the Audi RS6. They were tricky things to get right.

Review of TheInfamousJEW's Tuning Garage - Scion FR-S '12 550pp RH
ssqsmbwzluwoluxv2a_0-jpg.497133

@TheInfamousJEW6's Scion FR-S '12

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run.
Deep Forest (rev) - 1.19.119
Trial Mountain - 1:27.596
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:54.107

So, this was tuned on a wheel then and not a DS3 was it!? :lol: That, then goes some way to explaining why I found it a little better with my wheel then :lol: I'm still not quite up to speed using it yet, so my times won't be used, but I did really enjoy this one as far as feel goes :) And that translated on to the DS3 for my timed runs :).

This car feels like something I would have tuned...almost :D
My only complaint (and it's not a complaint, just an opinion ;)) at all is the brakes, I could go on and on about these all day, but all I'll say is I set them to 5/6 instead of 5/4 and immediately went out and did a 1:18.834 on Deep Forest (0.285s faster than lap 8 of 10). Your car has a really nice balance through the corners, with maybe just a tiny hint of entry/mid-corner understeer in certain types of corner (mostly present on Trial Mountain and Deep Forest, Grand Valley was much better to it :D). I wouldn't quite say this is a totally neutral tune, but it's neutral enough to handle a more rearward biased braking system. For me this helps to start the car rotating a bit more during trail braking and give more control to the driver to choose lines for corners, rather than having the car dictate it :) . I also find it helps settle most cars better in hard braking zones with that sort of bias too.

On a positive note I really like the transmission 👍 It seems to be a good solid all round set-up for most tracks. The first 5 gears are spot on and I know 6th will come in handy when there are other cars around (or a very long straighaway ;)), but for just hammering round myself on these shorter tracks :( That's the fun of flat floors though eh!? :dopey: :lol:

Overall, I liked this a lot. It was stable enough to push and it didn't give many moments for me to have concern for my own safety :scared:. A good solid all rounder that wheel or DS3 users should have little problem getting to grips with and enjoying. Real nice work, and thanks :):cheers:

Review of TheInfamousJEW's Tuning Garage - Scion FR-S '12 550pp RH
ssqsmbwzluwoluxv2a_0-jpg.497133

@TheInfamousJEW6's Scion FR-S '12

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run.
Deep Forest (rev) - 1.19.119
Trial Mountain - 1:27.596
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:54.107

So, this was tuned on a wheel then and not a DS3 was it!? :lol: That, then goes some way to explaining why I found it a little better with my wheel then :lol: I'm still not quite up to speed using it yet, so my times won't be used, but I did really enjoy this one as far as feel goes :) And that translated on to the DS3 for my timed runs :).

This car feels like something I would have tuned...almost :D
My only complaint (and it's not a complaint, just an opinion ;)) at all is the brakes, I could go on and on about these all day, but all I'll say is I set them to 5/6 instead of 5/4 and immediately went out and did a 1:18.834 on Deep Forest (0.285s faster than lap 8 of 10). Your car has a really nice balance through the corners, with maybe just a tiny hint of entry/mid-corner understeer in certain types of corner (mostly present on Trial Mountain and Deep Forest, Grand Valley was much better to it :D). I wouldn't quite say this is a totally neutral tune, but it's neutral enough to handle a more rearward biased braking system. For me this helps to start the car rotating a bit more during trail braking and give more control to the driver to choose lines for corners, rather than having the car dictate it :) . I also find it helps settle most cars better in hard braking zones with that sort of bias too.

On a positive note I really like the transmission 👍 It seems to be a good solid all round set-up for most tracks. The first 5 gears are spot on and I know 6th will come in handy when there are other cars around (or a very long straighaway ;)), but for just hammering round myself on these shorter tracks :( That's the fun of flat floors though eh!? :dopey: :lol:

Overall, I liked this a lot. It was stable enough to push and it didn't give many moments for me to have concern for my own safety :scared:. A good solid all rounder that wheel or DS3 users should have little problem getting to grips with and enjoying. Real nice work, and thanks :):cheers:

And Thanks to you for giving it a go! I really appreciate the feedback! 👍

I have noticed that I am a bit heavy on my brake peddle, causing me to set my brake bias a little lighter than I could...:crazy: I have been getting a lighter touch, recently, after driving a few cars without ABS help. Which in turn has allowed me to start increasing my brake bias on a lot of tunes!

Thanks again for the time you took to drive my FR-S around and for the constructive criticisms on how it felt for you. These reviews go a long way for making me a better tuner! :cheers:

Trial Mountain Circuit_1.jpg

Tuned with ABS 1, no other aids, DS3

Volkswagen Golf VI R '10
550 pp
445 hp @ 6,900 rpm
363 ft-lb @ 5,900 rpm
1245 kg
Power to Weight 2.79
Weight Distribution 52/48

GT Auto
No Oil Change
No Body Rigidity
Aero Parts: Type A
Flat Floors: Installed
Rear Wing: Special A
Wheels: Stock: PDI P525
Paint Body: Stock
Paint Wheels: Stock

Parts
Fully Customizable Suspension
Racing Brakes
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Torque-Distributing Center Differential
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic
Intake Tuning
High RPM Turbo
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood
Window Weight Reduction
All Tires (tuned on Comfort Soft)

Suspension
Ride Height 110/110
Spring Rate 7.00/8.50
Dampeners Comp 5/4
Dampeners Ext 7/5
Anti-Roll Bars 3/4
Camber Angle 0.0/1.5
Toe Angle -0.20/0.00
Brake Balance 4/6

Transmission
Initial Final 4.769
Max Speed 168
First Gear 2.455
Second Gear 1.800
Third Gear 1.400
Fourth Gear 1.100
Fifth Gear 0.900
Sixth Gear 0.760
Final Gear 5.000

LSD
Initial 18/24
Accel 16/20
Brake 10/10
Center Diff 50/50

Power Limiter 100%
Downforce -/15
Ballast Weight 21
Ballast Position 50

View attachment 514223

Tuned with ABS 1, no other aids, DS3

Volkswagen Golf VI R '10
550 pp
445 hp @ 6,900 rpm
363 ft-lb @ 5,900 rpm
1245 kg
Power to Weight 2.79
Weight Distribution 52/48

GT Auto
No Oil Change
No Body Rigidity
Aero Parts: Type A
Flat Floors: Installed
Rear Wing: Special A
Wheels: Stock: PDI P525
Paint Body: Stock
Paint Wheels: Stock

Parts
Fully Customizable Suspension
Racing Brakes
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Torque-Distributing Center Differential
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic
Intake Tuning
High RPM Turbo
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood
Window Weight Reduction
All Tires (tuned on Comfort Soft)

Suspension
Ride Height 110/110
Spring Rate 7.00/8.50
Dampeners Comp 5/4
Dampeners Ext 7/5
Anti-Roll Bars 3/4
Camber Angle 0.0/1.5
Toe Angle -0.20/0.00
Brake Balance 4/6

Transmission
Initial Final 4.769
Max Speed 168
First Gear 2.455
Second Gear 1.800
Third Gear 1.400
Fourth Gear 1.100
Fifth Gear 0.900
Sixth Gear 0.760
Final Gear 5.000

LSD
Initial 18/24
Accel 16/20
Brake 10/10
Center Diff 50/50

Power Limiter 100%
Downforce -/15
Ballast Weight 21
Ballast Position 50
Looks like someone's been having a bit too much fun there :) Nice pic 👍

img_0518-jpg.411801

@GhostRider65's FR-S

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run. No TC.
Deep Forest (rev) - Driver didn't note time :dopey:
Trial Mountain - 1:30.291
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:57.351

Lap times - Best of 10 lap run. With TC.
Deep Forest (rev) - 1:19.265
Trial Mountain - 1:30.014 (-0.277)
Grand Valley Speedway - 1:57.487 (+0.136)

I know this is a drop down in tyre grades from what you are use to, so I'll take that into account and try not to be to harsh :)
To start of on a positive foot, Grand Valley Speedway was this car's salvation. I was not all that impressed by it's handling on Trial Mountain at all, but on the slightly flatter GVS it wasn't too bad. There was just too much "safety" built in to this tune to let it a good bit faster round here. There was just a hint of understeer on exit to some corners that could have been avoided with a bit more LSD accel, if you are going to use TC on this car with this tune, you could probably get away with running this a few clicks higher. But I don't think that is where this tune was really lacking.

IMO, and very noticably on TM of DF (rev) the springs are just way too soft for this car, especially with the added downforce of the flat floor. This is as close as I've ever come to saying something was no good, so please don't be offended, that's not my intention :) The balance of the springs I felt was not too bad, but they could do with stiffening up quite a bit (and perhaps a little more in the rear too, but that's my preference). The car was too easily unsettled, going over, bumps, kerbs and crests, just way too much body movement going on. I would think a front spring somwhere in the 8-9kgmm region and a suitable balance for it at the rear would be a lot better all-round 👍 But as I said, on the flater tracks it's not so much of an issue :)

The transmission did the job, and was still usable with no TC, but I felt it lacked just a little bit of punch in a couple of places (more due to gear selected for corners) but worked out well across the tracks.

I wouldn't say this was a bad tune, I'm sure for those use to racing with TC on (which I'm not really anymore)this will do better for them than I managed to get out of it. But of the two FR-S posted in this CotM, this is a distant 2nd place finisher for me I'm sorry to say :(. Although your brakes were better ;) 👍

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back