Car of The Month: April! - Build your own Racing Modification/Touring Car!

That's flying. My PB in an NSX is a high 25, in the RX-7 with some obvious time left is a high 26... Thing is I thought my NSX lap was decent, apparently not! :lol:

Did some NSX runs on Trial Mountain, all on SS tires.
@Bowtie-muscle NSX Type R - 1'26.228
  • Kinda weird driving an NSX that likes to understeer, especially on Trial Mountain, really stiff handling and the car doesn't like the kerbs much. Brakes also feel too strong so I had to be really careful when braking late. Still, the gears are very well done so acceleration is a breeze, and the car is so hard to spin so I can just go full throttle exiting the corners. I feel like the settings just doesn't suit Trial Mountain, because the understeer felt like it was more because of the undulation of the track. The car's definitely able to go faster, but I couldn't really keep on pushing cause the understeer was frustrating enough.
@Thorin Cain NSX Type R - 1'24.876
  • Pretty much the opposite of the other NSX, this one wants to rotate. While I could take the final chicane just by lifting off the throttle with Bowtie's NSX, this one gives me lift-off oversteer so I have to brake before entering a fast corner. Despite that, I really love the agility on this car, the loose braking actually points me to the direction of the turn so it makes it easier to accelerate early. Very fast car, I'd love for a little more stability, but it's already a nice cornering machine.
Thanks for testing these, I know mine is a little weird and has some flaws. Not meant for that track and if I was to retune it I would loosen it up a bit. But it was meant to be easy to drive and consistent sacrificing some speed. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and that's actually a good lap time in it.

I have tested one of yours already, want to do one more before I post. By weekends end I should have it up. We are getting crushed with a bad winter storm here. Maybe more playing for me :D

Thanks for testing these, I know mine is a little weird and has some flaws. Not meant for that track and if I was to retune it I would loosen it up a bit. But it was meant to be easy to drive and consistent sacrificing some speed. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and that's actually a good lap time in it.

I have tested one of yours already, want to do one more before I post. By weekends end I should have it up. We are getting crushed with a bad winter storm here. Maybe more playing for me :D
Has the big snow storm hit where you live yet?

@danlimski:
Handling was good, rear toe helped cornering without going too far.
Trans setup did seem as though it was laboring, RPM dropping too low between gears.
Brakes worked well, but could cause entry understeer, thus slower lap time.
Try more rear brake, something like 3 / 7, should help.
Still a fun ride and felt faster than the time I got out of it.
Exit was really good with only minor throttle understeer, which is normal for FF.
Best lap - 1:22.113

Thanks for the review. I look forward to the review of my other vehicle here.
Have a great weekend, Dan.

Did some NSX runs on Trial Mountain, all on SS tires.
@Bowtie-muscle NSX Type R - 1'26.228
  • Kinda weird driving an NSX that likes to understeer, especially on Trial Mountain, really stiff handling and the car doesn't like the kerbs much. Brakes also feel too strong so I had to be really careful when braking late. Still, the gears are very well done so acceleration is a breeze, and the car is so hard to spin so I can just go full throttle exiting the corners. I feel like the settings just doesn't suit Trial Mountain, because the understeer felt like it was more because of the undulation of the track. The car's definitely able to go faster, but I couldn't really keep on pushing cause the understeer was frustrating enough.
@Thorin Cain NSX Type R - 1'24.876
  • Pretty much the opposite of the other NSX, this one wants to rotate. While I could take the final chicane just by lifting off the throttle with Bowtie's NSX, this one gives me lift-off oversteer so I have to brake before entering a fast corner. Despite that, I really love the agility on this car, the loose braking actually points me to the direction of the turn so it makes it easier to accelerate early. Very fast car, I'd love for a little more stability, but it's already a nice cornering machine.
Do I spy an extraterrestrial in our midst!? :eek: Geez, those are some mightily impressive times :bowdown:

I'm glad you found my car to be up to the task...kinda :) I can imagine it would be a little bit on the loose side on entry :nervous: I do like to let the rear have a certain amount of freedom on the way in to give me options for racing :) So dropping down a few tyre grades should have the back tyres fearing for there lives :lol: There should be plenty of room for improvements on the set-up to run better on road legal rubber.

Thanks for testing it out, putting up what looks like a pretty unbeatable time round the mountain ;) :lol: with it. And especially for the feedback. It's always a pleasure to have another tuners impressions of what works and what can be improved on :)👍 I'll try and return the favour in the coming days.

Mind if It ask, which version you went with?

:cheers:

Some more reviews:

@GhostRider65 FR-S 537PP (RH)
Trans numbers did not match, went with minimum on all as that got them the closest. Tested at 400hp 537pp limiter @ 97.4%
Smooth and very stable.
Easy to push, easy to get the power down.
Great grip, great rotation without looking either end.
Nice tune.
Best lap 1:18.221 @ Deep Forest Reverse

@Thorin Cain BRZ 555PP (RH)
I added isometric manifold and still only got 548pp, 542 without (as tested)
Could catch air over the crest just before last turn I was going so fast.
Fast, stable, but with a hint of understeer on entry.
Great rotation and grip, excellent trans setup.
Best lap 1:17143 @ Deep Forest Reverse

@Thorin Cain GT-R (R32) 555PP (RH)
Quick turn in. Great on exit.
Little tight in the center and between tunnels.
Does not like to be over pushed, great if you keep the line. Easy in, FAST out.
Gearing felt close, worked well.
Great LSD setup.
Best lap @ Trial Mountain1:28.162

@randyrockstiff Lander Evo IV 576PP (RH)
Much better than your Integra, fantastic for this car. Really good tune.
Holds the line nicely, easy to be consistent.
Rear can lose grip over bumps, but not bad. Very easy to catch and move on.
Great on exit, good on entry. Brakes worked well.
Really nice LSD Setup. Trans setup perfect for this track.
Best lap SSR11 2:54.814

:cheers::cheers:brilliant review mate thanks very much. Happy with that
Some more reviews:

Trans numbers did not match, went with minimum on all as that got them the closest. Tested at 400hp 537pp limiter @ 97.4%
Smooth and very stable.
Nice tune.

Great LSD setup.

Some more reviews:

Smooth and very stable.
Nice tune.

Great LSD setup.

Thanks a lot Bowtie-muscle for your review !! I suspected that some cars had need of a revision, through your test and i thank you, i'll fix his gearbox problem !! Congratulations to the tuners appointed for their fantastic efforts and not forgetting Bowtie-muscle as Tester and Tuner for all the good and great work !! Thanks again !! :cheers: :gtpflag:

@RacingOtaku86
I have a really quick question for you, looking at your lap times for SSR11, either I am slower than I thought or you are an ALIEN driver. You are faster in @shaunm80 Subaru than I am in his GTR Black Edition. Are we using the same SSR11 or am I missing something? I'm using the one linked in the OP by @Otaliema .

Speaking of @shaunm80 , have not forgotten you my friend, have tested one but I want to test your 370z and RX-7 before I post review. Coming soon.

That said......How about a few more?

@Antares26 some from you (@RacingOtaku86 did your Supra so a skipped that and did the others)

Roadster RS (NC) '07
Quick, very quick for 480pp.
Great grip, not surprising with SS tires, but still really good. Likely not bad on SH.
Can be over pushed, but takes alot, easy in and fast out really works wonders. Fantastic even.
Handles the bumps of Trial Mountain with ease.
Smooth, fun, absolute blast to drive.
Best lap @ Trial Mountain 1:32.556

S2000 S '06
Trans numbers did not match for me, a went with the lowest possible numbers to get as close as I could.
Little lift off oversteer, not bad and helped most of the time.
Can get loose hitting a curb with rear tires, easily caught.
Mostly stable and easy to drive, very consistent.
Brakes and LSD setup really worked well.
Best lap @ Deep Forest Reverse 1:17.456

300ZX TwinTurbo 2 seater '89
Has some rear instability, even with max downforce and positive rear toe.
Easy to catch, but can cost time.
Has late exit oversteer likely caused by LSD initial/accel.
Minor understeer, only in certain corners. Changing line fixes.
Good trans setup, great brakes.
Most issues are inherent to the car and not necessarily the tune.
Best lap @ Grand valley Speedway 1:54.246

@danlimski

Lexus IS F

Slow to rotate, even with flat floor.
Brakes are ok, your settings did help entry.
Could get loose on exit, throttle control will tame and not hurt lap time.
Trans was really good for this track, LSD accel might be a little high.
Car feels heavy, not due to your setup as it did help
I have tuned one of these to 600pp and had many of the same issues I had to fight. Some I never got totally rid of. Your tune is not bad for this car, although I'm not sure that the improved rigidity helped. It's actually a good tune for this car. And I thought my lap time in it was not bad all things considered. Still, a few more laps and I could have been faster.
best lap @ SSR11 2:54.814

Oh. 575PP. Seems less alien now. :lol: An extra 60+hp will shave a second easy. Maybe I'll throw mine in, have a really strange appearing setup that works well, but have found the same pace whilst being more conservative.
True, the power just gives me a few tenths every time I come out of the corners. Then a few more on the short straights.

@RacingOtaku86
I have a really quick question for you, looking at your lap times for SSR11, either I am slower than I thought or you are an ALIEN driver. You are faster in @shaunm80 Subaru than I am in his GTR Black Edition. Are we using the same SSR11 or am I missing something? I'm using the one linked in the OP by @Otaliema .

I'm flattered that you thought I'm an alien driver, mate. :embarrassed:

But, to answer that question, I'm pretty sure it's the same track. The publisher of the SSR11 I have is @Otaliema, and it was one of the first tracks I got since the custom tracks were added. I'll look into that quickly, maybe I have an older version...

Well, as it turns out, he released version 1.5.9, and I had the first release. I guess my time is now null and void. I have the newest one now, and I'll try again.

New time using the Subaru: 2:53.573

New time using the NSX (Bowtie): 2:58.329

Last edited:
@Bowtie-muscle some new times for the boards, also I think my time on the Trial Mountain board was mixed up. I did a 1'26.228 on your NSX on SS, and a 1'24.876 on Thorin's NSX on SS tires.

All runs done on ABS 1 and Grip Reduction set to Real. Replay files of the laps are available if you want them. :)

Bowtie-muscle NSX Type R - 550PP - SS
  • Trial Mountain - 1'26.228
    • Finding the good or bad of this tune on Trial Mountain depends on where you are on the track. In the tight first half of the track, the understeer and the stiff handling really gave me a bit of a hard time, the second half was a bit easier, with stable braking and acceleration making mince meat of the tunnel and the banked corner. I know it's not really setup for Trial Mountain, so the fact that car still keeps the grip despite my aggressive driving on the undulating track is a really big plus.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'53.586
    • I really liked this car on this track, it felt like a stock sportscar with high grip tires. Driving it around GVS went something like this: brake as late and carry as much speed as you dare. There's the occasional understeer but I blame that on the tires more than anything. I didn't have to drive aggressively to get into a comfortable pace for the best lap. GVS really played more to this car's strengths than Trial Mountain.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'14.924
    • Understeer city, but it goes both ways. The bumps and gaps of Deep Forest are harsher than the ones on Trial Mountain, so the car gets unsettled when you hit a bump too quickly. The good thing is that you can go hard on entering corners, release the gas if you feel like you've gone in too fast, then go back on full throttle when you've slowed down enough. A real challenge, I don't think I can go much faster than this.

@Thorin Cain NSX Type R "Version II" - 575PP - RH
  • Trial Mountain - 1'22.629
    • I know I said the car was a nice cornering machine on SS, but on RH it's simply a monster, cornering and braking felt like I've got a lot of downforce in the car. What surprised me was that the car was a little more sensitive with higher grip tires, clipping a kerb too fast or at a weird angle just sends the car spinning. I think decreasing rear camber might help stabilize the car more, it won't hurt cornering much since the car's really sharp to begin with.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'47.338
    • The car just grips to the road in this track, but it tends to have a lot of exit oversteer out of slow corners. Take the first hairpin on GVS, I can brake really late just before the 100m sign but I couldn't really go full throttle because even if I could start going back on the throttle at the apex, once I get on the exit the car will suddenly break loose. Easy to catch but it definitely made me a bit more careful on tight corners. I'm looking at LSD initial/accel for this one.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'12.677
    • Driving this car made me realize how rough the surface of Deep Forest is, because it felt like I was driving on faster version of Trial Mountain. The crests actually made the car jump because of how fast it goes over them. On the uphill towards the tunnel after the first corner, the car was easily unsettled by braking, it could be LSD decel.

@Rotary Junkie Mazda RX7 Spirit Type A - 535PP - SS
  • Trial Mountain - 1'26.789
    • This RX7 had a little less grip than I had expected, and it seemed a little agility was sacrificed for stability. Still, the cornering response is still very good, and even though the SS tires could only give me so much, it was still enough to clear the corners fast. I expected a bit more around Trial Mountain, but a lap in the 26 range is good enough for a car setup for smoother, faster tracks.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'55.431
    • It was a much smoother ride in Grand Valley compared to Trial Mountain, and because the car doesn't have a lot of power, finding the latest braking point was a fun thing to do each lap. The gears were a big letdown, though, as it was set way too long so the car was really crawling once it reached 5th gear. In terms of lap time, the car suffered, but in terms of driving feel, it felt really good for GVS.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'15.850
    • The track where the car's stability really helps, and the car felt so light through the curves. Revving all the way to the top of the range also worked wonders, I never had to beyond 4th gear with the way the gears are set, but it still felt really quick. At 535PP the FD doesn't really feel like a rocket without much power, but it's still very much a cornering machine.
That's it for now, running 3 cars trying to get the fastest lap on 3 tracks is a bit taxing, but I'll try to review at least three more cars before the end of the month.

Tried to quote split that, failed miserably, but one thing stuck out.

good enough for a car setup for smoother, faster tracks

I quit! Built and bred at Trial. :lol: Geared for the moon, but entirely because I could do so with no sacrifice. It's not that the car was crawling when it hit 5th at GVS, it's that there's just no power left. At 550 5th sees considerably more pull (and down particularly long straights, like Dottinger Hohe at the Nurburgring a slightly early shift into 6th will help find a few more MPH). I could technically go closer with 5th and 6th but most people shift at redline instinctively, and doing so would actually kill what little pull is actually available in those gears. You'll notice that while there isn't much pull available in 5th, it's always very near peak power.

Realistically, the car's built to be able to take it anywhere, at any time, and simply work. Which it does, at least when compared to other vehicles also running a flat floor. Not having one is worth LOTS of time on straights even without adding power to bring PP back up. The existence of the 535PP version was driven entirely by nostalgia (and it is in fact much faster around Trial than the car it references), the 550 version is the point where it starts to make sense away from extremely low-speed corners. Chances are decent I'll actually need to retune for 575+ though, as at that point high speed cornering will be vastly more important than low-speed drivability.

Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 (524PP SS)

Link here

A low powered SS tyre Z34 for you all. Enjoy :)

fairladyz-jpg.111850

I'm flattered that you thought I'm an alien driver, mate. :embarrassed:

But, to answer that question, I'm pretty sure it's the same track. The publisher of the SSR11 I have is @Otaliema, and it was one of the first tracks I got since the custom tracks were added. I'll look into that quickly, maybe I have an older version...

Well, as it turns out, he released version 1.5.9, and I had the first release. I guess my time is now null and void. I have the newest one now, and I'll try again.

New time using the Subaru: 2:53.573

New time using the NSX (Bowtie): 2:58.329
Whew! What a relief, didn't think I was that far off. Still some really good times, will get the new ones entered. Thank you! 👍
@Bowtie-muscle some new times for the boards, also I think my time on the Trial Mountain board was mixed up. I did a 1'26.228 on your NSX on SS, and a 1'24.876 on Thorin's NSX on SS tires.

All runs done on ABS 1 and Grip Reduction set to Real. Replay files of the laps are available if you want them. :)

Bowtie-muscle NSX Type R - 550PP - SS
  • Trial Mountain - 1'26.228
    • Finding the good or bad of this tune on Trial Mountain depends on where you are on the track. In the tight first half of the track, the understeer and the stiff handling really gave me a bit of a hard time, the second half was a bit easier, with stable braking and acceleration making mince meat of the tunnel and the banked corner. I know it's not really setup for Trial Mountain, so the fact that car still keeps the grip despite my aggressive driving on the undulating track is a really big plus.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'53.586
    • I really liked this car on this track, it felt like a stock sportscar with high grip tires. Driving it around GVS went something like this: brake as late and carry as much speed as you dare. There's the occasional understeer but I blame that on the tires more than anything. I didn't have to drive aggressively to get into a comfortable pace for the best lap. GVS really played more to this car's strengths than Trial Mountain.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'14.924
    • Understeer city, but it goes both ways. The bumps and gaps of Deep Forest are harsher than the ones on Trial Mountain, so the car gets unsettled when you hit a bump too quickly. The good thing is that you can go hard on entering corners, release the gas if you feel like you've gone in too fast, then go back on full throttle when you've slowed down enough. A real challenge, I don't think I can go much faster than this.

@Thorin Cain NSX Type R "Version II" - 575PP - RH
  • Trial Mountain - 1'22.629
    • I know I said the car was a nice cornering machine on SS, but on RH it's simply a monster, cornering and braking felt like I've got a lot of downforce in the car. What surprised me was that the car was a little more sensitive with higher grip tires, clipping a kerb too fast or at a weird angle just sends the car spinning. I think decreasing rear camber might help stabilize the car more, it won't hurt cornering much since the car's really sharp to begin with.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'47.338
    • The car just grips to the road in this track, but it tends to have a lot of exit oversteer out of slow corners. Take the first hairpin on GVS, I can brake really late just before the 100m sign but I couldn't really go full throttle because even if I could start going back on the throttle at the apex, once I get on the exit the car will suddenly break loose. Easy to catch but it definitely made me a bit more careful on tight corners. I'm looking at LSD initial/accel for this one.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'12.677
    • Driving this car made me realize how rough the surface of Deep Forest is, because it felt like I was driving on faster version of Trial Mountain. The crests actually made the car jump because of how fast it goes over them. On the uphill towards the tunnel after the first corner, the car was easily unsettled by braking, it could be LSD decel.

@Rotary Junkie Mazda RX7 Spirit Type A - 535PP - SS
  • Trial Mountain - 1'26.789
    • This RX7 had a little less grip than I had expected, and it seemed a little agility was sacrificed for stability. Still, the cornering response is still very good, and even though the SS tires could only give me so much, it was still enough to clear the corners fast. I expected a bit more around Trial Mountain, but a lap in the 26 range is good enough for a car setup for smoother, faster tracks.
  • Grand Valley Speedway - 1'55.431
    • It was a much smoother ride in Grand Valley compared to Trial Mountain, and because the car doesn't have a lot of power, finding the latest braking point was a fun thing to do each lap. The gears were a big letdown, though, as it was set way too long so the car was really crawling once it reached 5th gear. In terms of lap time, the car suffered, but in terms of driving feel, it felt really good for GVS.
  • Deep Forest Raceway Reverse - 1'15.850
    • The track where the car's stability really helps, and the car felt so light through the curves. Revving all the way to the top of the range also worked wonders, I never had to beyond 4th gear with the way the gears are set, but it still felt really quick. At 535PP the FD doesn't really feel like a rocket without much power, but it's still very much a cornering machine.
That's it for now, running 3 cars trying to get the fastest lap on 3 tracks is a bit taxing, but I'll try to review at least three more cars before the end of the month.
Thanks for the heads up on the times, I will get that sorted out.
Outstanding reviews you have there, great job 👍
I understand the taxing of trying to get the best lap and putting in alot of time doing so, I have to try to get to as many as possible so I personally limit myself to 5 laps per car, per track if I do more than one. Otherwise I would never get them all done. My lap times may be a few tenths short but should be pretty close considering, I normally have most out of the car in 5 laps. After that it's down to tenths and hundreds and not normally huge gains.
Glad to see you found my NSX better where it belongs, a more flat track, it does not like bumps to much and I believe it was build at Twin Motegi and another flat track thou I forget which, DF and TM don't surprise me that it's a little rough. Thanks for all your effort, with mine and the other two, I really do appreciate it as I'm sure @Rotary Junkie and @Thorin Cain do as well. And wicked fast, I'm almost not worthy to put my times with those :dunce: :embarrassed: :dopey:
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 (524PP SS)

Link here

A low powered SS tyre Z34 for you all. Enjoy :)

fairladyz-jpg.111850
Just when I thought I was catching up :lol:
Will get it added. Built one myself at 550pp on SS, fastest yet for me at Deep Forest Reverse, so I'm looking forward to these ;)
I am also working on a Nissan GT-R '07 at 600PP with both SS and RH tyres. Hopefully get them published in the next few days.
Keep in mind, when the month ends, you may still submit any tune from any list the following month! You can still review or post tunes for these cars as long as this thread is active. Asia went first because it is the longest list, Europe is next (that should be fun, I have a real beast of a car to release) followed by U.S. which has the shortest list. So do not feel rushed.

I still have not added a single new tune yet :dunce: :crazy: :rolleyes: :irked:

Whew! What a relief, didn't think I was that far off. Still some really good times, will get the new ones entered. Thank you! 👍

Thanks for the heads up on the times, I will get that sorted out.
Outstanding reviews you have there, great job 👍
I understand the taxing of trying to get the best lap and putting in alot of time doing so, I have to try to get to as many as possible so I personally limit myself to 5 laps per car, per track if I do more than one. Otherwise I would never get them all done. My lap times may be a few tenths short but should be pretty close considering, I normally have most out of the car in 5 laps. After that it's down to tenths and hundreds and not normally huge gains.
Glad to see you found my NSX better where it belongs, a more flat track, it does not like bumps to much and I believe it was build at Twin Motegi and another flat track thou I forget which, DF and TM don't surprise me that it's a little rough. Thanks for all your effort, with mine and the other two, I really do appreciate it as I'm sure @Rotary Junkie and @Thorin Cain do as well. And wicked fast, I'm almost not worthy to put my times with those :dunce: :embarrassed: :dopey:

Just when I thought I was catching up :lol:
Will get it added. Built one myself at 550pp on SS, fastest yet for me at Deep Forest Reverse, so I'm looking forward to these ;)

Keep in mind, when the month ends, you may still submit any tune from any list the following month! You can still review or post tunes for these cars as long as this thread is active. Asia went first because it is the longest list, Europe is next (that should be fun, I have a real beast of a car to release) followed by U.S. which has the shortest list. So do not feel rushed.

I still have not added a single new tune yet :dunce: :crazy: :rolleyes: :irked:
Europe sounds good. I like European cars :)

That is good to know about some of the asian cars, I have loads of SS cars in my garage but hardly any with flat floors which is why I am not so quick at getting them checked and updated if need be.

I look forward to seeing some of your own tunes coming out to see how they stack up against the rest of ours.

@danlimski

Lexus IS F

Slow to rotate, even with flat floor.
Brakes are ok, your settings did help entry.
Could get loose on exit, throttle control will tame and not hurt lap time.
Trans was really good for this track, LSD accel might be a little high.
Car feels heavy, not due to your setup as it did help
I have tuned one of these to 600pp and had many of the same issues I had to fight. Some I never got totally rid of. Your tune is not bad for this car, although I'm not sure that the improved rigidity helped. It's actually a good tune for this car. And I thought my lap time in it was not bad all things considered. Still, a few more laps and I could have been faster.
best lap @ SSR11 2:54.814

Thanks for the insights, its much appreciated. I'm planning a tune or two before the month ends. I am looking forward to next month's tunes and tips.
Dan.

Thanks for the insights, its much appreciated. I'm planning a tune or two before the month ends. I am looking forward to next month's tunes and tips.
Dan.
You can still add them even after the month is over, they can be added at anytime thread is still going.

I believe I am current with all tunes, reviews and lap times for the leaderboards. If anyone should spot something missing, please let me know.

Back