Am I missing the point about GT7?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 85 comments
I log on, having completed the GT Cafe (Which felt really short) and the world circuit, I am stuck now repeating the same races over and over. I find this really frustrating, but I don't see many people really being up in arms about this, which makes me think this is what GT is all about? I felt the career mode in GT5, 6 and even sport, took me a lot longer to finish and kept me playing for longer. Right now I just spend most of my time, browsing all the races in world circuit, figuring out which one I can be bothered to do because I have already completed them all.

Am I just missing the point of a GT game?

special missions and license tests, aside.

Last edited:
You must have missed the uproar over the pitiful amount of content and free-to-play mobile economy as that was pretty much what everyone on here was talking about 2 weeks ago.

PD released a statement saying they are going to be bringing an update in early update to help address these issues so that kind of quieted people. Well, that and the scripts people are running to avoid the grind, lol

More stuff getting added soon and they say its gonna be evolving so will keep getting updates every so often

Yeah they missed something with the cafe thing. Not all menu books are even races. It's more of a tutorial than a career mode, it seems.
Hopefully they add more varied races soon. Especially for higher rated cars.

Did you try circuit experience ? There so time to invest ther if you want.

I did all the café menus, most of the licenses (not gold), part of the missions (some gold), part of circuit experience (a few gold), and I still have som races to do that were not to do in the café menus but are available in various tracks (mostly WTC600-700-800 with more or less peppers)

I am playing in normal difficulty, I wish I will be able to win everything later on hard too.

Gt7s online is weak, some how worse then Sports.

This game is a half assed release lacking majority of the content you'd expect from a full GT game, even missing Sports online features.

Agree, but I'm just assuming they'll fix it soon. Right now it's obviously like a beta version, if not test/alpha. I think everyone agrees on this.

The single player content is nothing more than a tutorial, they just couldn't be bothered to make an actual game to play after you've finished it.

I swear the GT prologues had more single player content and they didn't charge £60 for them.
Do you think they will add another career mode, or simply just add more race events to the world circuit?

My only point is your comment on missions and licence tests aside. The missions are great and, for me at least, GT is about self improvement. Licence test golds are a great time black hole lol

I kind of feel like GT Sport ruined GT7. The lead up to launch, images, track listings, car listings etc painted an image of a return to the form seen in early GT games.

What we got though feels like GT Sport 2.0 with GT Lite stuck on the side. Once you've completed the Cafe Menus, licenses etc, you're basically just racing Group 3 or 4 cars, which were prevalent in GT Sport, almost as if the last few World Circuit races are preparation for your transition into full-time Sport mode.

What happened to buying a used car, working your way through beginner championships, upgrading the car along the way until you could afford a better car and so on? The Cafe Menus have you changing cars so often that it feels like a tutorial to learn the different car layouts/tracks rather than giving you the chance to take a car from the dirtbox to 500hp+ track-monster.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's actually very good at what it does, it just feels like they made a GT Sport 2.0 with a campaign mode to appease the fans (again).

Last edited:
Agree, but I'm just assuming they'll fix it soon. Right now it's obviously like a beta version, if not test/alpha. I think everyone agrees on this.
A beta version of what? They copy-pasted everything from GT Sport and just removed (and broke) some parts of it. They literally had this stuff in an open beta six years ago, and it was the same if not better back then.

Last edited:
A beta version of what? They copy-pasted everything from GT Sport and just removed (and broke) some parts of it.
A beta of a copy of GTS. In time it will be as good as GTS. And in even more time, maybe it'll be better.
It sucks, but I'd much rather have it now as a beta than a 1.0 version in a year.

Do you think they will add another career mode, or simply just add more race events to the world circuit?
They will via updates.

A beta of a copy of GTS. In time it will be as good as GTS. And in even more time, maybe it'll be better.

...that doesn't make any sense. A copy of GT Sport should be exactly as good as GT Sport.

Especially since, you know, they have had five years to make and improve upon that copy.

It sucks, but I'd much rather have it now as a beta than a 1.0 version in a year.
There's no dilemma here. There is absolutely no way that it will have taken them six years to fully copy GT Sport's online modes and paste it into a game that is based on GT Sport.

GT Sport itself didn't even take six years to develop, in its entirety. Let alone the online modes.

Last edited:
There really is no excuse for the state at which multiplayer lobbies in this game are at. The jittery car lag, the missing edit options, no host migration, no save/load presets. This is the main thing that really grinds my gears (no pun intended).

As far as the general content of the game, it is definitely lacking but I do believe it is because of the leftover residue from GT Sport's conceptualization. In due time I am confident they will add and improve much of this game, and while I do enjoy it a lot regardless of the issues, the reality is that it'll take a relatively significant design shift to bring back many of the PS2-PS3 era foundations. I think people expect too much of their nostalgia to be implemented into newer releases. That's usually an unrealistic expectation in most cases with many gaming franchises nowadays. Gaming has changed, for better and for worse if you will.

I think it's more realistic to expect an enhancement of the existing foundation that began with GT Sport and for that to be pushed further towards a higher balance of online and singleplayer activities that can appease most fans. Wanting to relive our teenage years of the classic games would just lead to disappointment.

There really is no excuse for the state at which multiplayer lobbies in this game are at. The jittery car lag, the missing edit options, no host migration, no save/load presets. This is the main thing that really grinds my gears (no pun intended).

As far as the general content of the game, it is definitely lacking but I do believe it is because of the leftover residue from GT Sport's conceptualization. In due time I am confident they will add and improve much of this game, and while I do enjoy it a lot regardless of the issues, the reality is that it'll take a relatively significant design shift to bring back many of the PS2-PS3 era foundations. I think people expect too much of their nostalgia to be implemented into newer releases. That's usually an unrealistic expectation in most cases with many gaming franchises nowadays. Gaming has changed, for better and for worse if you will.

I think it's more realistic to expect an enhancement of the existing foundation that began with GT Sport and for that to be pushed further towards a higher balance of online and singleplayer activities that can appease most fans. Wanting to relive our teenage years of the classic games would just lead to disappointment.
PD is the one that sold this as a return to the "real" Gran Turismo. I remember them showing off that used cars were back, tuning was back and better than ever and other features that were present in the classics.

Often times the fans do project their expectations onto a product and are disappointed when it doesn't come to pass. But I saw way too much nostalgia bait tossed out by PD themselves to blame this on anyone other than them. Those expecting 1000+ cars, that's on the few fans that expected that, but not those expecting the core content loop that had been in every other GT game (even Sport to a greater degree than what we have in this title, lol)

PD is the one that sold this as a return to the "real" Gran Turismo. I remember them showing off that used cars were back, tuning was back and better than ever and other features that were present in the classics.

Often times the fans do project their expectations onto a product and are disappointed when it doesn't come to pass. But I saw way too much nostalgia bait tossed out by PD themselves to blame this on anyone other than them. Those expecting 1000+ cars, that's on the few fans that expected that, but not those expecting the core content loop that had been in every other GT game (even Sport to a greater degree than what we have in this title, lol)
This is true. PD definitely did hype some classic beloved features like UCD and GT Auto returning. Those did return but UCD at least at a limited capacity due to the nature of global rotation timing as opposed to individualized to each player like the old games.

With that said, I can't speak for anyone else, but myself, I felt that I could never expect the complete return to classic form from this game. Much of it was just too ambitious for a title that was most likely pushed out the door way too early. I really think this game was rushed. It feels incomplete in various ways but they managed to put in a few things that relate back to the essence of the older titles, but in that limited sense.

Thankfully, at least for me I very much personally enjoyed the creative aspects that were introduced in GT Sport (the Livery Editor, the Scapes/Photo Mode, Showcase [Discover] community interaction with regards to that creative side). If it wasn't for these features, I don't think I would have played GT Sport more than a week. Instead I ended up playing it for around 3 years on and off. I'm glad that GT7 at least brought that over and enhanced Livery Editor a bit. However yet, they still managed to slightly mess up this part too, at least with the Showcase feature. Many useful things from Discover mode on GTS are missing too.

The last few days I started thinking about this and it led me to conjure a hypothesis that this game was being worked on subtly during the early days of GTSport and what ended up possibly happening was, they would implement a few features from Sport as they were working on this game and then just left them behind, outdated and incomplete while moving onto other things. While Sport was being tweaked to have these features fully fleshed out, GT7 was just half-ass implementing some of them just to say they're there. It's weird, and doesn't make much sense to do so as a professional studio. The best example is still as of this moment the multiplayer [unranked] lobbies with all the missing features.

I'm currently seeing how low I can go in PP and still win a race or championship. Its fun. GT is about more than just what's given to you on a plate.

Use your imagination. Time trial different super cars.. Build up a leader board. Do the same with Japanese cars. Then try tuned versus untuned. How much time do you gain? Do custom races against your own cars with sweet liveries. Take some photos.

Saying GT is over because you have done the cafe is just weak.

Last edited:
I'm currently seeing how low I can go in PP and still win a race or championship. Its fun. GT is about more than just what's given to you on a plate.

Use your imagination. Time trial different super cars.. Build up a leader board. Do the same with Japanese cars. Then try tuned versus untuned. How much time do you gain? Do custom races against your own cars with sweet liveries. Take some photos.

Saying GT is over because you have done the cafe is just weak.
I can never, ever get enough of Scapes! One of my goals in owning more cars in the game is to simply take photos with them. It's one of the most cathartic things I've ever done in a videogame and a very welcome return from GTS. :)

Latest Posts

Back