Am I missing the point about GT7?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 85 comments
I'm currently seeing how low I can go in PP and still win a race or championship. Its fun. GT is about more than just what's given to you on a plate.

Use your imagination. Time trial different super cars.. Build up a leader board. Do the same with Japanese cars. Then try tuned versus untuned. How much time do you gain? Do custom races against your own cars with sweet liveries. Take some photos.

Saying GT is over because you have done the cafe is just weak.
These are all things that I do in every GT game. But I do them once I've gotten all the cars I want so that I can test all the Skylines/GTR's against each other, all the GT500's against each other, etc. Love doing this with LMP/Gr 1, but I've only got the Sauber at the moment. Not into livery creation or photography at all, but I'm definitely down to hotlap Tsukuba for 3hr to see which 500pp road car is the quickest.

Only thing I'm missing is the cars...

These are all things that I do in every GT game. But I do them once I've gotten all the cars I want so that I can test all the Skylines/GTR's against each other, all the GT500's against each other, etc. Love doing this with LMP/Gr 1, but I've only got the Sauber at the moment. Not into livery creation or photography at all, but I'm definitely down to hotlap Tsukuba for 3hr to see which 500pp road car is the quickest.

Only thing I'm missing is the cars...
Yeah to be fair, at the moment you have to do some grinding to get the cars to do it. Every GT is like that but it seems worse in 7 at the mo.

For me. I just wish they’d increase the rewards for custom races.
I feel that I could make literally dozens if not hundreds of fun events which could have been on the world circuits. If I could just save details and simply edit the track to make championships too.
But then I get sick of just earning a couple of grand and do a proper one for 25k plus.

Last edited:
There really is no excuse for the state at which multiplayer lobbies in this game are at. The jittery car lag, the missing edit options, no host migration, no save/load presets. This is the main thing that really grinds my gears (no pun intended).
Are we talking lobbies for daily races/championships, the track specific "meet-up" lobbies or lobbies setup by other racers?

The daily, championship and meet-up lobbies are hosted by PD/Sony, so you should rarely see issues on them.

The lobbies setup by other racers however are hosted by other players, so if the host has a poor internet setup, anyone that connects to that lobby is going to have a bad time, also if the host is in Spain and someone in Japan decides to connect, they'll likely have excessive latency which manifests as lag. PD and Sony cannot control the players internet.

Last edited:
I think people expect too much of their nostalgia to be implemented into newer releases.
I didn't come into the series until GT6 (and got GT5 afterwards), and I am shocked that a current $70 game has less entertainment value, content and feel of quality than a $50 game of the exact same type did 10 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's not a lack of nostalgic feeling that makes me feel finished with the game after three weeks, whereas GT6 was played constantly for over a year.

Are we talking lobbies for daily races/championships, the track specific "meet-up" lobbies or lobbies setup by other racers?

The daily, championship and meet-up lobbies are hosted by PD/Sony, so you should rarely see issues on them.

The lobbies setup by other racers however are hosted by other players, so if the host has a poor internet setup, anyone that connects to that lobby is going to have a bad time, also if the host is in Spain and someone in Japan decides to connect, they'll likely have excessive latency which manifests as lag. PD and Sony cannot control the players internet.
I'm referring to the Multiplayer Lobbies section of the main menu where players host their own rooms.

In regards to the lag, it's not an excuse. There's clearly something wrong with the network code of the game as a whole. My friends and I who played GTS and GT7 together are all from the USA. We all have solid connections, and on GTS have never experienced this weird zig-zaggy awkward car spazzing phenomenon. Not even once. It only happens with GT7 and it is similar to the beginning days I remember from Gran Turismo 5 where this was a recurring issue. It's something in the net code.

Aside from that, not having all the options for these player-made lobby rooms like being able to simply change the course we're racing on without creating a whole entirely new room, is the most backwards thing they could've ever done.

I log on, having completed the GT Cafe (Which felt really short) and the world circuit, I am stuck now repeating the same races over and over. I find this really frustrating, but I don't see many people really being up in arms about this...
WOW!!! Someone is veeeery late to the party here.

After the bonkers broken economy, this was the thing that people were most outraged at.

There really is no excuse for the state at which multiplayer lobbies in this game are at. The jittery car lag, the missing edit options, no host migration, no save/load presets. This is the main thing that really grinds my gears (no pun intended).

As far as the general content of the game, it is definitely lacking but I do believe it is because of the leftover residue from GT Sport's conceptualization. In due time I am confident they will add and improve much of this game, and while I do enjoy it a lot regardless of the issues, the reality is that it'll take a relatively significant design shift to bring back many of the PS2-PS3 era foundations. I think people expect too much of their nostalgia to be implemented into newer releases. That's usually an unrealistic expectation in most cases with many gaming franchises nowadays. Gaming has changed, for better and for worse if you will.

I think it's more realistic to expect an enhancement of the existing foundation that began with GT Sport and for that to be pushed further towards a higher balance of online and singleplayer activities that can appease most fans. Wanting to relive our teenage years of the classic games would just lead to disappointment.
It only takes a few hours or days to code/change things so that choices/options in single player AND vs other players could be much more diverse and better, improved sorting and factors that has been mentioned many many times like choice of start from standstill, choice of tires, and no PP limit in single player.

As much as I may gripe about GT7 and it's shady release, I do genuinely enjoy it because I genuinely love cars and love motorsport. It has the foundations there to start exploring - sure it may not have the curated content in singe-player to push you all the way to S-License and their events (yet? hopefully?), but it's not like you're barred from ever experiencing that content. Money grind aside, the Gr.1 cars are there, the circuits are there, you can set up those races, good to go. But it has all the things in a racer that I'm craving right now - customization of road cars, GT4 and GT3 cars, great circuits, incredible audio work, decent physics - it's all there, it's just that for right now you kinda have to do some BS to get there. Oh and the AI takes some getting used to, but it's better than before too.

Just the other night I had a blast driving a minimally tuned 2023 Nissan Z around Brands Hatch and doing the EuroAsia-Pac Cup with it. I'm not terribly concerned about the payout issue right now, yeah it sucks but if I just keep the attitude of "oh hey that's a cool car, can it compete?" and just keep racing, I'll get my stacks. It'll be slow but that's unfortunately the reality of modern gaming these days.

tl;dr I guess my point is just drive for the sake of driving?

Last edited:
The point is to master a variety of driving techniques and to collect cars, encouraging players to eventually partake in competitive online multiplayer. Meanwhile, drive the cars to buy more cars, parts and modifications. The café might be presented as the bread and butter “campaign”, but at best it’s an early distraction serving the purpose of giving players an appetizer on how to enjoy the resort. Afterwards you’re on your own to proceed without guidance, and free to tag along as the game grows over time.

Loving cars probably helps, because the game is largely a matter of seeking out your own fun rather than experiencing a carefully designed journey. Arguably not what the majority expected nor wanted GT7 to be, but I guess perceiving it as GT Sport 2 with some nostalgic bells and whistles is one way to cope.

Last edited:
Drive the cars?
Yeah... about that...

Almost a month after release and I still am yet to master the horrendous RWD physics of road cars. I feel like I'm either underdriving the car, or sliding it and losing time, with no in between. I struggle to get any consistency at my best combos, and that's on the laps where I don't spin. I agree with the many who say that the physics are improved from Sport's, but that just highlights the completely nonexistent FFB issue even more—I am simply not getting the information I need from the wheel to drive a car at its limits. The driving experience in GT7 is an utter crapshoot.

Then there's the problem with the spiteful economy. I just took my FD RX-7 to hotlap around Bathurst—something I loved to do over and over in Sport—and after three or so laps I just felt like I needed to make use of the time to grind, because who knows when a F1 GTR or 787B might show up? Who knows how much they might cost? The game is seemingly designed—shockingly and unintuitively so—to discourage any sort of driving aside from Sardegna Windmills or rubber banding Pan American.

I have to concur with TSTO here in saying that the only time I'm really playing GT7 instead of rubber banding it is when I'm taking photos of cars (that I won't drive). I've played F2P mobile games that are more engaging than this AAA PS5 exclusive title, and that's saying something.

As much as I may gripe about GT7 and it's shady release, I do genuinely enjoy it because I genuinely love cars and love motorsport. It has the foundations there to start exploring - sure it may not have the curated content in singe-player to push you all the way to S-License and their events (yet? hopefully?), but it's not like you're barred from ever experiencing that content. Money grind aside, the Gr.1 cars are there, the circuits are there, you can set up those races, good to go. But it has all the things in a racer that I'm craving right now - customization of road cars, GT4 and GT3 cars, great circuits, incredible audio work, decent physics - it's all there, it's just that for right now you kinda have to do some BS to get there. Oh and the AI takes some getting used to, but it's better than before too.

Just the other night I had a blast driving a minimally tuned 2023 Nissan Z around Brands Hatch and doing the EuroAsia-Pac Cup with it. I'm not terribly concerned about the payout issue right now, yeah it sucks but if I just keep the attitude of "oh hey that's a cool car, can it compete?" and just keep racing, I'll get my stacks. It'll be slow but that's unfortunately the reality of modern gaming these days.

tl;dr I guess my point is just drive for the sake of driving?
Your point is you spent the full price already and bought the game to enjoy it, so regardless of the negatives you still want to get your money's worth of joy out of a game that should've lived upto the hype. You want an escape and are going to treat GT7 as your escape even if you find things that are wrong with it. My point is, there are things wrong with it and the driving physics is hilariously one of them, so expecting everyone else to enjoy it just like you, is foolish nonsense.

I'm currently seeing how low I can go in PP and still win a race or championship. Its fun. GT is about more than just what's given to you on a plate.

Use your imagination. Time trial different super cars.. Build up a leader board. Do the same with Japanese cars. Then try tuned versus untuned. How much time do you gain? Do custom races against your own cars with sweet liveries. Take some photos.

Saying GT is over because you have done the cafe is just weak.
I swear some people think Gran Turismo is synonymous with their actual life or something, I keep reading weird comments like this.

I'm half expecting to be told "pull up [my] bootstraps" and to "batten down the hatches" next.

Last edited:
It's a pity the cafe is useless after you finish the menus. Why I cannot come back with a car and get some insight from the car expert guy at the cafe (don't remember his name)

KJF
I swear some people think Gran Turismo is synonymous with their actual life or something, I keep reading weird comments like this.

I'm half expecting to be told "pull up [my] bootstraps" and to "batten down the hatches" next.
Do you honestly believe that Microtransactions should be in a GT game to this degree? Why do you ignore it and insist others do as you do? Why not let anyone say what they honestly think about the game?

KJF

Exactly, if I wanted to play Minecraft, I'd play Minecraft.

The whole just use your imagination schtick is ridiculous.

The fact is GT7 has something like 10% of the contents on GT4, there's is no amount of imagination that will alter that fact.

And we paid 60 to 70 quid for it.

My only point is your comment on missions and licence tests aside. The missions are great and, for me at least, GT is about self improvement. Licence test golds are a great time black hole lol
Not to mention, also emotional black hole (at least for me)

KJF
Not sure what you're onabout here mind mate, I think the MTX in GT7 is absolutely diabolical 😂
I must have misread the context here. Easy mistake with the wording you used. I realized after I had already posted. No harm done. Carry on then! :lol:

Last edited:
I spent 4 hours doing custom races on trail mountain .. You folks really do need an imagination , You are unable to free roam in open world games , unable to set up lobies in call of duty, unable to use forge in halo . Oh and all have preety debilitating FOMO , God help you and spare you from collecting any form of collectable or you would cry a river you have fo pay a scalper tenfolds because you might miss out of that hotwheels supra which mattel may never release again, those Bastards!
There was not a years worth of game IN GT sport , I completed the missions in 3 days and The entire GT mode can be done in a few hours minus the copy paste endurances which can be made in the custom race menu of gt sport and were not worth waiting for.

I spent 4 hours doing custom races on trail mountain .. You folks really do need an imagination , You are unable to free roam in open world games , unable to set up lobies in call of duty, unable to use forge in halo . Oh and all have preety debilitating FOMO , God help you and spare you from collecting any form of collectable or you would cry a river you have fo pay a scalper tenfolds because you might miss out of that hotwheels supra which mattel may never release again, those Bastards!
There was not a years worth of game IN GT sport , I completed the missions in 3 days and The entire GT mode can be done in a few hours minus the copy paste endurances which can be made in the custom race menu of gt sport and were not worth waiting for.
I get your point, but have you ever used GT Sport's social, activity feed, and other interesting community features? Without those I wouldn't have sunk anywhere near 2000 hours into GT Sport. Such memories. GT7 undoes it for me due to the new MTX focused economy, and till it's fixed I don't see why people can't complain about it, sure doesn't make for fancy or "fun" reading, but I don't see the issue considering all things, being silent or happy with the current game is never going to change the game for the better. How do you not see that? I never hated GT Sport for being low on content when it launched. But I hate GT7 for being utterly smug towards it's fans. Nobody likes this word here, but Kaz and Sony are straight up GREEDY.

Last edited:
It’s become apparent to me over the years that Polyphony has a rather complicated and sometimes distorted vision of what Gran Turismo should be. Pressure from ever growing competition and a fanbase that has become divided doesn’t make things easy for them. The result is a product that doesn’t feel complete or fully realized. Of course the pandemic hasn’t helped, making it harder to have a unified team with a strong creative core.

All I know is that Gran Turismo has to evolve going forward and the current GT Café feature is not the answer. It’s a nice incentive to collect cars but it shouldn’t be the main motivation for progressing.

Lots of racing game developers are struggling currently to take the next step into the future so PD doesn’t have an easy task before them. They do however sit on the golden opportunity to create a true caRPG which I believe is part of whatever their success will be in the future.

The entire GT mode can be done in a few hours minus the copy paste endurances which can be made in the custom race menu of gt sport and were not worth waiting for.
I find this weird since the "World GT Series Championship" from Cafe Menu 39 in itself takes about an hour to finish, how you did the previous 38 menus in 1-3 hours before it I'm very surprised

I also enjoy doing custom races. It's a shame they pay next to nothing, so using my imagination to have fun with custom races is actually not sustainable!

"Use your imagination" is not an argument when using your imagination is directly discouraged by the game itself.

Besides, why is it suddenly on me to come up with fun things to do in a video game? The developers couldn't use their imaginations to provide the player with stuff to do? That's literally their job!

Edit: I decided to go look at how much a 4 hour race on Trial Mountain pays.

With no other settings changed, it pays 64,837 Cr. That's 277.6 of these races to buy a single 18M Cr. car, or 1,110.4 hours. 46.3 days of repeating this race nonstop.
1648816455211.png

The absolute most you can get out of it, by starting at the back of a Gr.1 race with Professional AI, is 279,352 Cr. That's 64.4 of these races to buy a single 18M Cr. car, or 257.7 hours. 10.7 days of repeating this race nonstop.
1648816544407.png

This isn't okay.

Last edited:
I also enjoy doing custom races. It's a shame they pay next to nothing, so using my imagination to have fun with custom races is actually not sustainable!

"Use your imagination" is not an argument when using your imagination is directly discouraged by the game itself.

Besides, why is it suddenly on me to come up with fun things to do in a video game? The developers couldn't use their imaginations to provide the player with stuff to do? That's literally their job!

Edit: I decided to go look at how much a 4 hour race on Trial Mountain pays.

With no other settings changed, it pays 64,837 Cr. That's 277.6 of these races to buy a single 18M Cr. car, or 1,110.4 hours. 46.3 days of repeating this race nonstop.
View attachment 1132116

The absolute most you can get out of it, by starting at the back of a Gr.1 race with Professional AI, is 279,352 Cr. That's 64.4 of these races to buy a single 18M Cr. car, or 257.7 hours. 10.7 days of repeating this race nonstop.
View attachment 1132117

This isn't okay.
Told my partner to cancel the decorators we have coming. Who needs professionals, no point paying someone to decorate when there is DIY stores available. /s

Hell, my little brother wants to be an illustrator. Why bother trying to get people to pay you for your art when those people can just pick up a pencil and paper and draw it themselves. /s

It's great that GT games come with custom races, that allow some kind of freedom but the feature is severely lacking (Can't save custom races, no custom championships or playlists, poor payouts, no community sharing).

All the people suggesting them as a serious or viable alternative to curated races provided by the game developer are being asinine.

Back