Am I the only one who doesn't care for concept cars?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 81 comments
Germany
Berlin, Germany
bmxmitch1
I rather drive some old classics like the F40, 911, Cobra or some old Lambos. Even an Audi RS4 or CLS AMG. Something that actually was on the streets at least!

I hope PD is already working on delivering some great cars we've already had in GT3/4/5/6

@bmxmitch so perhaps you would prefer these...

ferrari_f40_prototype_1.jpg

1959_porsche_t7_754_concept.jpeg

carroll-shelby-shelby-cobra-csx-2000-auction-1.jpg

miura_visuale-trequarti1.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-GT4-Illustration-front.jpg

...concept cars.

Concept cars are things like the Porsche Mission E or the Peugeot Instinct. What we have in GT Sport are either fake tunned version of real cars or completely fake cars thought by the manufacturers.

Concept cars are things like the Porsche Mission E or the Peugeot Instinct. What we have in GT Sport are either fake tunned version of real cars or completely fake cars thought by the manufacturers.
Since time immeasurable, "Concepts" are always concepts until they are born.

Someone has a good idea, but it has problems that needs to be solved.
Someone takes an interest in those problems and finds part of the solution.
Someone else takes up the problem and solves the rest of the puzzle.
Someone, or a company, or a nation, finances the development of that product.
The product becomes reality.

This is what humans do.
Welcome to the human race.

Concept car or digital recreation of a designers mind, they are all cars I otherwise can’t buy and appreciate so all good with me.

Honestly, some people just need to stop and think about things for themselves, and not be influenced by apparent popular belief from others on the internet.

The first motor vehicle was a concept.
Same with the first motor cycle.
The first motor driven aeroplane, let alone the jet engine.

All concepts.

The same as playing a game on a home computer (console) via a TV screen was once considered ludicrous.

Thank God detractors with opinions opposing these "Concepts" weren't listened to back in the day.

Agree 100% with the op. Not wanting them in a car culture game does not mean we dont see the point of them in really life. Thats enough of that strawman thank you very much.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing, we all live and die by our choices. People can choose to ignore the game entirely, or buy it and ignore the concept cars. Those who feel insecure about their choices will publicise them in the hope they’ll find support from others who agree with them. Getting into the semantics of what constitutes concept though...really?!

Here’s the thing, we all live and die by our choices. People can choose to ignore the game entirely, or buy it and ignore the concept cars. Those who feel insecure about their choices will publicise them in the hope they’ll find support from others who agree with them. Getting into the semantics of what constitutes concept though...really?!
What a load of crap. People will criticise the game based on what it offers. It's got nothing to do with feeling insecure about their choices. Stop trying to make it about the people commenting on the game rather than the game itself.

Sure, I'm with you.
I was simply making a point.

Because these days there are enough games to choose from.
Why some insist every game should be the same is beyond me.

Don't like VGTs?
Fine, spend your money on another game instead.
It won't bother me, and I'm fairly sure PD won't drop the project either.

But some do take it the the extreme.
Hence my rebutle.

Sure, I'm with you.
I was simply making a point.

Because these days there are enough games to choose from.
Why some insist every game should be the same is beyond me.

Don't like VGTs?
Fine, spend your money on another game instead.
It won't bother me, and I'm fairly sure PD won't drop the project either.

But some do take it the the extreme.
Hence my rebutle.
Oh I was agreeing mate, wholeheartedly. Some people like to put all of their eggs in one basket though and have just one system and one good racing game. That’s why they want hundreds of cars and loads more tracks with a plethora of game modes, because they see it in past series and other current games on the market, but refuse to buy them. As you say, the only way such gamers will be happy is if all racers are the same. I applaud PD for taking their “quality over quantity” approach and doing something a bit different with the FIA association.

For me,

Real concept cars - Love them.
Made up VGT cars - Not interested.
At present the only two made-up VGT cars that aren't real concept cars are the Infiniti Q80 and Peugeot VGT, which only exist as 1:8 models.

All the rest have had full-size versions, all revealed by the manufacturer at motor shows or brand events. Some go even further and are full-function, driveable vehicles - like the Alpine, Bugatti and Volkswagen.

At present the only two made-up VGT cars that aren't real concept cars are the Infiniti Q80 and Peugeot VGT, which only exist as 1:8 models.

All the rest have had full-size versions, all revealed by the manufacturer at motor shows or brand events. Some go even further and are full-function, driveable vehicles - like the Alpine, Bugatti and Volkswagen.

They were made into 'real' concept cars after being created for the game. That's not the same as motor show style concept cars created for real life not for a video game. So in essence they are fake concept cars.

People want to "drive" the latest and greatest.
I get that.
People want to "drive" classics.
I get that.

There are new cars I wish to see in GTSport.
There are old classics, for me as an an Aussie a HDT VH group 3, I would like to see but didn't make the cut for GT6.

But in all honesty, I struggle to see the hate for VGTs.
I don't know if some people are confused, or if they don't like concepts, or what the deal is.
But these cars are designed by the best minds in the current car manufacturing business.
They are legitimate designs showing where these companies are headed.

Why people interested in car design in 2017 don't appreciate these cars for what they are is beyond me.

It seems some wish to remain in days gone by.
Or wish all games were the same so we can compare software developers.
Same cars, same tracks...who does it better.

How boring.

There are plenty of options these days on multiple platforms for people to decide which game they wish to spend their money on.
I don't go with this "if I complain they'll listen" rubbish.

When I read posts like this it's no wonder some call this the "entitled generation".

They were made into 'real' concept cars after being created for the game. That's not the same as a manufacturers motor show style concept car. So in essence they are fake concept cars.
Does the sequence of events really matter that much?! Besides, I think that a car being created in a game first and then getting made into an actual concept car is pretty damn cool. Lastly, these motor show style concept cars that you see and speak of. Where do you think a huge part of their design and planning took place before being created for real? That’s right, inside a computer. So, how is that any different to something getting created for the game first? They almost all start out digital, often using VR now.

I mean GTS too, that seems to have a still worse trend, from this point of view.
Fair enough.
As you say, the percentage is significantly higher in GTS.
That's simply a fact that no-one can deny.

I just feel that some take it too far.
"I strongly dislike them and will never drive them".

What?
Why not?
It could be a car released in a few years time.

Seems a little extreme to me, with very little logic behind it.

I rather drive some old classics like the F40, 911, Cobra or some old Lambos. Even an Audi RS4 or CLS AMG. Something that actually was on the streets at least!

I hope PD is already working on delivering some great cars we've already had in GT3/4/5/6

I enjoy them, especially BMW.

The F40, 911, Cobras and old Lambos were all concepts at one time.
When did the F40 debut, 1986?
I was around 10 years young and remember seeing a picture of it, woah that's awesome!

Now my son is 10 playing GT6. He gets excited and inspired with concepts, and I think that's what they're all about.
Just a small part of our ever expanding evolution.

Now look at the ratio of these in GTS. Seriously, they belong in Ridge Racer or Burnout - and in some cases Wipeout.
Sure, the Chappy and Tomahawk are extreme examples.
Remove them and all else seems more than plausible to me.

Why must you group the entire project based on 2 over the top designs?
PD didn't design them.
That was all from those two companies.

I assume you've been on the Chaparral and Dodge website to express your dislike to those designs.

Last edited:
They were made into 'real' concept cars after being created for the game.
Manufacturers revealed the cars at motor shows as the game revealed the cars. Commonly this was simultaneous but some had a few days out of sync.

Other live game/reality car unveilings include the R35 Nissan GT-R (GT5 Prologue demo), Ferrari California (GT5 Prologue) and Lotus Evora (GT5 Prologue).

That's not the same as a manufacturers motor show style concept car.
I can't see any ideological difference, or any difference in execution, between a concept show car and a concept show car that's also in a game, other than the fact that the second car is also in a game.

Some VGTs (Mitsubishi, Subaru) were even literally show cars put into GT6, rather than developed as a VGT project. I imagine that more than a couple others (looking at BMW particularly) were "They want us to make them a concept car? Why don't we just use the thing that Jurgen's team is working on?".

VGTs are - other than the scale model Infiniti and Peugeot - no more or less 'real' concept cars than any other concept car, just because you can drive them in a game. Like the Dodge Copperhead from GT1, the Plymouth PT Spyder and Chrysler Phaeton from GT2, the Nissan Z Concept from GT3, the Audi Nuvolari, Honda DualNote and Toyota RSC from GT4, and the Dome Zero (a concept car from 1978) or Citroen GT in GT5.

The only difference is that they have a Gran Turismo logo on them - and that seems like a weird way to say this concept car isn't a real concept car and this one is, when both are on the same motor show stand at 1:1 scale in front of you.

Last edited:
Back