Am I the only one who doesn't care for concept cars?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 81 comments
XXI
I enjoy them, especially BMW.

The F40, 911, Cobras and old Lambos were all concepts at one time.

I posted photo's of the prototypes and concepts of those cars above, imagine when people first saw them, I bet some thought... "I'd rather drive some old classics..."

Naw you're not the ONLY one but, I've gotta disagree. Concept cars are among my favorite types of cars for how interesting and futuristic their design can be. The technology inside of the cars themselves also interests me. It's why whenever me, my brother and my sister go to the Canadian International Autoshow, the concept cars are what interest me the most. A car doesn't have to be a "real car" for to like it, or even love it.

I like cars aswell, but can't say i enjoyed driving VGT's (that's the main thing right?) I and many others used to drive real cars only. 'Realistic' racing in GT standards.

P.S. How often VGT's, concepts and prototypes were banned in public race lobbies... So i wonder what there is to race in GT Sport when about 1/5 (?) is a concept car. Quite sad to think.

I like cars aswell, but can't say i enjoyed driving VGT's (that's the main thing right?) I and many others used to drive real cars only. 'Realistic' racing in GT standards.

P.S. How often VGT's, concepts and prototypes were banned in public race lobbies... So i wonder what there is to race in GT Sport when about 1/5 (?) is a concept car. Quite sad to think.
But concepts have always been in GT. Remember the Nike ONE-2022?

I rather drive some old classics like the F40, 911, Cobra or some old Lambos. Even an Audi RS4 or CLS AMG. Something that actually was on the streets at least!

I hope PD is already working on delivering some great cars we've already had in GT3/4/5/6
Utterly hate them...hopefully we can disable them when online

At least you're not being forced to drive it online.

Love em, hate em, they'll be in GTS, but they're not going to be the most broken things ever.

Wipeout? OK...

Thankfully the tag line calls it the real driving simulator so you choose to not fly those things and dive some normal cars.
Well the Chaparrel VGT is powered by lasers (to quote)

"it literally thrusts itself down the track with laser pulse shock waves"

Which is arguably more than a bit 'Wipeout'.

Personally I would rather have concepts that have turned a wheel in full form rather than those that exist only as a design or a modelling exercise (many that get 'made' don't have the concept powertrain, but rather more modest running gear).

That doesn't make me entitled, out of touch or any of the other nonsense I've read in this thread. It seems some don't understand that others having a different preference doesn't grant a licence to play the man rather than the ball.

I strongly dislike them and will never drive them in GTS.
Really? You're not even going to test drive them?

I'm a VGT fan myself, and I'm very excited to give the new ones in GTS a spin. But even if I did dislike the VGTs, I imagine I would still want to try them out, at least once. I mean, it's just a game; surely you have nothing to lose by simply test driving them.

it's easy to understand.

there are petrolheads, and there are adepts of marketing (who think they're petrolheads, cause they read internet about cars).

guess which group is the aim of vision gran turismo...

Well the Chaparrel VGT is powered by lasers (to quote)

"it literally thrusts itself down the track with laser pulse shock waves"

Which is arguably more than a bit 'Wipeout'.

Personally I would rather have concepts that have turned a wheel in full form rather than those that exist only as a design or a modelling exercise (many that get 'made' don't have the concept powertrain, but rather more modest running gear).

That doesn't make me entitled, out of touch or any of the other nonsense I've read in this thread. It seems some don't understand that others having a different preference doesn't grant a licence to play the man rather than the ball.
Not really, given the nature of Wipeouts tracks and how the vehicles hover above them, shooting out weapons etc.

The whole point of concept vehicles like the Chaparrel (I’ve just been to LCV2017 so know a bit about this area) is to push the boundaries of what’s possible, thinking, design, materials, technologies etc. So it’s a laser-powered drivetrain, that’s fine. That’s the vision, pun intended. Swap that out for current running gear and it’ll roll down the track with the rest of the lineup.

The only nonsense I’ve read around here is the insinuation that a car made in a game first and then turned into a real concept car later cannot be classed as a concept car.

Goes both ways.

Not really, given the nature of Wipeouts tracks and how the vehicles hover above them, shooting out weapons etc.
I don't think its a massive leap to suggest that the member that posted it in that manner may have been making a slightly humerous analogy!

The whole point of concept vehicles like the Chaparrel (I’ve just been to LCV2017 so know a bit about this area) is to push the boundaries of what’s possible, thinking, design, materials, technologies etc. So it’s a laser-powered drivetrain, that’s fine. That’s the vision, pun intended. Swap that out for current running gear and it’ll roll down the track with the rest of the lineup.
Which you don't mind, personally I can live without them.

Differing opinions, both of which are equally valid.

The only nonsense I’ve read around here is the insinuation that a car made in a game first and then turned into a real concept car later cannot be classed as a concept car.
It gets to nonsense the moment members think that a differing opinion is a mandate to play the person and not the ball.

Those who feel insecure about their choices will publicise them in the hope they’ll find support from others who agree with them

When I read posts like this it's no wonder some call this the "entitled generation"

The AUP is quite clear on this: "You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack any individual or any group."

As such address the point other members make rather than attacking them for expressing an opinion simply because it differs from your own.

Goes both ways.
It can do, in this thread it hasn't.

It's easily explained: if you don't like these concept cars, nobody's stopping you from the refusal to drive them.

However what I find weird is that with the Peugeot L750R Hybrid Vision GT, in which, yes, it's classified under Gr. 1 class which is for LMP1 cars, but it looks like a hillclimb car, which is rather odd and strange, considering that you'd be driving a hillclimb car against extreme sport prototype cars.

Going back, most concept cars (especially Vision cars) use real and existing technologies (heck, even laser propulsion is indeed, real and tested, but not practically used). Concept cars are usually where science, advanced technology, unique features and design language come together in an automobile, where sometimes the rules can be broken.

Last edited:
It's easily explained: if you don't like these concept cars, nobody's stopping you from the refusal to drive them.
But why would one refuse to drive them? There are 36 VGT cars of the 164 car list in GTS, counting the Gr. variants. If I did the math correctly, that's 21.95% VGTs. Do people really fancy paying their money for a racing game where they won't even test roughly a fifth of the already meager car list? Granted, there were many cars in GT6 that I didn't ever try, but the car list was huge in that game, especially in comparison to what we have now in GTS.

I accept that people dislike VGTs, but they are not doing themselves any favors by outright refusing to even give them one drive. Why would anyone do so, especially when they take a significant chunk of the car list?

Does the sequence of events really matter that much?! Besides, I think that a car being created in a game first and then getting made into an actual concept car is pretty damn cool. Lastly, these motor show style concept cars that you see and speak of. Where do you think a huge part of their design and planning took place before being created for real? That’s right, inside a computer. So, how is that any different to something getting created for the game first? They almost all start out digital, often using VR now.

Absolutely.

Concept cars are usually to show off a brands future design direction or give a preview of an upcoming production model, they have a serious purpose, they are not solely designed with the mind-set of appearing in a video game. Would these cars have ever existed if they hadn't been designed for GT first? probably not.

Developing a concept car on a computer is nothing to do with developing a concept car FOR a video game. Everything is developed on a computer using CAD these days but I don't see my toaster in a video game. Its about the initial mind-set and purpose of the development, even if the tools used are similar.

Manufacturers revealed the cars at motor shows as the game revealed the cars. Commonly this was simultaneous but some had a few days out of sync.
I can't see any ideological difference, or any difference in execution, between a concept show car and a concept show car that's also in a game, other than the fact that the second car is also in a game.

Again, these cars where developed FOR this game, the mind-set going into creating them was that they were to feature in a videogame. They are Vision Gran Turismo cars.

These were not concepts that happened to make their way into a videogame. There is a big difference.

But why would one refuse to drive them? There are 36 VGT cars of the 164 car list in GTS, counting the Gr. variants. If I did the math correctly, that's 21.95% VGTs. Do people really fancy paying their money for a racing game where they won't even test roughly a fifth of the already meager car list? Granted, there were many cars in GT6 that I didn't ever try, but the car list was huge in that game, especially in comparison to what we have now in GTS.

I accept that people dislike VGTs, but they are not doing themselves any favors by outright refusing to even give them one drive. Why would anyone do so, especially when they take a significant chunk of the car list?

I just have absolutely zero interest in driving some fake sci-fi rocket ships with 4 wheels. I enjoy that stuff in Wipeout, but in Gran Turismo I expect realism. If I had infinite time to live, I'd try them out, but I don't. so I need to filter out stuff. I will also completely ignore the rally racing part of GTS, because PD isn't good at simulating loose-surface racing; if I want that, I'll play Dirt Rally. Also, the 1v1 rally stages in GTS look extremely boring and artificial.

Whlie I think Concept Cars are a nice option, IMO PD should concentrate a little more in others real cars that are missing in GTS.

The VGT cars should always be a thing. In my opinion these cars are one of the good things introduced to GT. I know these cars are likely just PR stuff, but they still look stunning and have actual manufacturers.

The VGT cars would be fine in a game with, and this is being generous to GT6, 350 to 400 actual cars. You could, for the most part, ignore them if you don't like them, and lets be honest, a vast majority of them were novelty cars, or stuff used to dick around in online lobbies.

They really aren't fine in a game with maybe 150 cars, and there could be a lot of other vehicles deserving to enter in even as DLC, especially considering the almost asinine shunning of classic automobiles. Especially apparent when they make up most of the top flight classes in the game.

Something like PCARS 2 does it right with a small car list: an eclectic and interesting list, that spans the racing generations and fits most real life racing disciplines.

But of course, this is one of the many things that Polyphony believes is the future of sim racing. More power to them, since they obviously can't be arsed to listen to us commoner folk, those who *actually* play sim racing games.

The VGT cars would be fine in a game with, and this is being generous to GT6, 350 to 400 actual cars. You could, for the most part, ignore them if you don't like them, and lets be honest, a vast majority of them were novelty cars, or stuff used to dick around in online lobbies.

They really aren't fine in a game with maybe 150 cars, and there could be a lot of other vehicles deserving to enter in even as DLC, especially considering the almost asinine shunning of classic automobiles. Especially apparent when they make up most of the top flight classes in the game.

Something like PCARS 2 does it right with a small car list: an eclectic and interesting list, that spans the racing generations and fits most real life racing disciplines.

But of course, this is one of the many things that Polyphony believes is the future of sim racing. More power to them, since they obviously can't be arsed to listen to us commoner folk, those who *actually* play sim racing games.
But GT is never a full sim. The sim racing communities are one of the most obnoxious communities in my opinion. The VGT cars sure seems a bit too many in a 160-car launch though.

I rather drive some old classics like the F40, 911, Cobra or some old Lambos. Even an Audi RS4 or CLS AMG. Something that actually was on the streets at least!

I hope PD is already working on delivering some great cars we've already had in GT3/4/5/6

As someone mentioned, they're not so much concept cars as fake tuned cars and VGTs that are only endemic to GT. But no, you're not the only one mate. It's just an easy way of PD pumping up the car count without doing much work/research.

My bigger issue with this OP is that there are still people who don't get this game wasn't designed to be like previous GT and thus the emphasis on various street road vehicles of past and present aren't center. Rather race cars are for the competition at hand through the FIA. I do agree that the vgts set to race real life GTE/GT3/GT4/P1 and so on is goofy especially for an official sanctioned sporting body. I understand why it is acceptable, because it's a virtual game where anything can exist and be balanced, doesn't make it any less strange.

But GT is never a full sim. The sim racing communities are one of the most obnoxious communities in my opinion. The VGT cars sure seems a bit too many in a 160-car launch though.

And? If GT isn't a racing sim, then why did it create the genre over 20 years ago? Doesn't matter what Kaz says or does to say that it is a 'driving sim' or whatever frankly BS fluff words he uses in marketing. It will always be a sim racer. GT created the community, and pretty much held court over the entire genre until arguably the 6th generation. The only thing GT has left in this genre is the marketing titan behind them, and being on a console with the largest install base. Aside from that, as many other people in the community of GT fans have, people are flocking to better and more appealing options for them.

Back