Am I the only one who doesn't care for concept cars?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 81 comments
Personally I still prefer the more traditional end of the range , but as most of the VGT cars are the end result of a design study by real world design shop I would imagine that many of the ideas that make up these cars may well end up making it into reality in the not to distant future . With the exception of the 2x propulsion unit , but who knows what's around the corner ?

Here’s the thing, we all live and die by our choices. People can choose to ignore the game entirely, or buy it and ignore the concept cars. Those who feel insecure about their choices will publicise them in the hope they’ll find support from others who agree with them. Getting into the semantics of what constitutes concept though...really?!

Yeah ignoring them would be great if they made up 10 or 20% of the game. Unfortunately, most of Gr. X is made up of VGTs. To my knowledge the only real, licensed GT4 in the game is the Cayman. The others are all fake PD tunes.

And? If GT isn't a racing sim, then why did it create the genre over 20 years ago? Doesn't matter what Kaz says or does to say that it is a 'driving sim' or whatever frankly BS fluff words he uses in marketing. It will always be a sim racer. GT created the community, and pretty much held court over the entire genre until arguably the 6th generation. The only thing GT has left in this genre is the marketing titan behind them, and being on a console with the largest install base. Aside from that, as many other people in the community of GT fans have, people are flocking to better and more appealing options for them.
Yeah.

I just have absolutely zero interest in driving some fake sci-fi rocket ships with 4 wheels. I enjoy that stuff in Wipeout, but in Gran Turismo I expect realism. If I had infinite time to live, I'd try them out, but I don't. so I need to filter out stuff. I will also completely ignore the rally racing part of GTS, because PD isn't good at simulating loose-surface racing; if I want that, I'll play Dirt Rally. Also, the 1v1 rally stages in GTS look extremely boring and artificial.
Although you make a gross generalization about VGTs (I mean, not every VGT goes up to 300+mph :P), I agree with what you say about Wipeout doing the whole "sci-fi" thing better than GTS. I also agree completely that GTS is not the game people should be looking to for rally racing.

But I still don't quite see why you would put money toward GTS if you don't have the time and/or patience to see what the VGTs have to offer. Then again, I suppose people will get enough enjoyment from the real racing cars in Gr. 4, 3, and 1. After all, not everybody gets to drive a TSO50 or an R.S. 01. :)

I've worked out that the majority of cars in GTS are either VGTs, Group 4 and 3 cars which are tuned by PD themselves and are not part of IMSA in real life and Group B rally cars, all of which are fake with the exception of the S1 Quattro.

Is that really acceptable for such a well known franchise? People have been waiting with great anticipation what would come after GT6 and this is the best they could come up with?

When I see what a much smaller company like SMS managed to do in half the time, PD should be ashamed of themselves Imo.

Again, these cars where developed FOR this game, the mind-set going into creating them was that they were to feature in a videogame.
Why is that important? What's the relevance of a concept car being created for a game? Are they somehow worse for being created for a game rather than just for being an irrelevant lump of immobile pointlessness on a show stage?

Have a look at something like the Toyota FV2, the ED Torque, the Renault Symbioz or the Chery FD2030 and tell me why they're acceptable concept cars and the created-for-a-game Toyota FT-1 Vision GT, Mazda LM55, Alpine VGT or Volkswagen Vision GTI are not.

These were not concepts that happened to make their way into a videogame. There is a big difference.
Aside from at least the Mitsubishi XR-PHEV (the latest in a line of similar concepts) and Subaru VIZIV (the latest in a line of similar concepts), and possibly the BMW Vision GT (which simply seemed to be a case of adapting a planned concept by putting a GT badge on it), MINI Clubman Vision GT (which was the 2014 Geneva concept car with a body kit), Lexus LF-LC VGT (which was a regular Lexus concept with a bodykit and paint) which were concepts that happened to make their way into a videogame. And by the looks of it, the Fittipaldi EF7

But you've not established what the "big difference" is. How does it make sense to "love" a real concept like the Aston Martin CC100 and then not be interested in the Aston Martin DP-100, when you can touch both of them, drive neither but play with one in a game?

Tons of fantasy and semi-fantasy cars and no Super GT?
This is a decisive step backwards compared to all previous chapters...

But I still don't quite see why you would put money toward GTS if you don't have the time and/or patience to see what the VGTs have to offer. Then again, I suppose people will get enough enjoyment from the real racing cars in Gr. 4, 3, and 1. After all, not everybody gets to drive a TSO50 or an R.S. 01. :)

OK, maybe I'll try that crazy-looking VGT from Mazda, because I like Mazdas. But I'll probably spend 99% of my time with group N, 4, and 3 cars.

And? If GT isn't a racing sim, then why did it create the genre over 20 years ago? Doesn't matter what Kaz says or does to say that it is a 'driving sim' or whatever frankly BS fluff words he uses in marketing. It will always be a sim racer. GT created the community, and pretty much held court over the entire genre until arguably the 6th generation. The only thing GT has left in this genre is the marketing titan behind them, and being on a console with the largest install base. Aside from that, as many other people in the community of GT fans have, people are flocking to better and more appealing options for them.
Semantics and tally’s aside, for me Gran Tursimo has always been more about the cars than the racing, which other games arguably do better. I’ve found the series more accessible and much less of a racing sim compared to something like Project Cars with its relatively high diffficultly level (using a pad at least) and plethora of options to tweak. I know this isn’t completely accurate when I say this, but games like Gran Turismo and Forza cater more more for those who like something more accessible and instantly rewarding. If you want something more challenging and varied, there are numerous other options out there especially on PC, which brings me onto your last point. I find it hard to believe that anybody who is such a hardcore sim racing fan and is so disappointed by GT Sport have only just started looking outside of the GT franchise.

But you've not established what the "big difference" is. How does it make sense to "love" a real concept like the Aston Martin CC100 and then not be interested in the Aston Martin DP-100, when you can touch both of them, drive neither but play with one in a game?
Couldn’t agree more. Both examples are concept cars in their own right.

I definitely like VGTs. I want to try my hand at creating futuristic scapes in Photoshop, and the presence of VGTs+photomode will be of great help.

I've worked out that the majority of cars in GTS are either VGTs, Group 4 and 3 cars which are tuned by PD themselves and are not part of IMSA in real life and Group B rally cars, all of which are fake with the exception of the S1 Quattro.

Is that really acceptable for such a well known franchise? People have been waiting with great anticipation what would come after GT6 and this is the best they could come up with?

When I see what a much smaller company like SMS managed to do in half the time, PD should be ashamed of themselves Imo.
Good point.
Cars like Corvette C7-R and Jaguar G3 are not the original ones. They are another PD fantasy elaboration.
Scandalous...

Gran Turismo is not for you.

And those who say it's wipeout ... How old are they? 7-8 years? do not exaggerate
Calls people who have a different opinon than him children and then tells them not to exaggerate. Makes sense.
But GT is never a full sim. The sim racing communities are one of the most obnoxious communities in my opinion. The VGT cars sure seems a bit too many in a 160-car launch though.
Next time a thread of that nature comes up, try posting that GT isn't a full sim:lol::lol:

I only like modern gt cars and 90's super cars so PD should remove all road cars/lmps/vgts/concepts/rally etc. with a day one patch. Sounds absolutely ridiculous, right? Sounds like the standard /premium talk from the GT5 days.....

Simple solution, if you do not like a certain type of car, don't use it.

Damn, some of you are very sensible about my post.

I just said I would love to see some more ACTUAL cars. I never said I hate concept cars, I just think there are too many right now. Especially those VGT cars!
But lets just hope they add more old cars soon and no more fictive concept art. :)

Good point.
Cars like Corvette C7-R and Jaguar G3 are not the original ones. They are another PD fantasy elaboration.
Scandalous...
It is if they are using cars you used to be able to make yourself with the tuning options of previous games just to bump up the car count......

Personally, I'm a big fan of blending real and fictional ideas together to create something where you can say "well, that isn't real - but it feels like it could be".

Gr.1 looks like a good example of this (I think - I haven't paid a lot of attention to the car groupings, sorry if any of this is wrong). A field of Le Mans style prototypes (that are/can be BOP'd?) from Peugeot, Audi, Toyota, Porsche, Hyundai, Mazda (and, perhaps at a stretch visually, Dodge, Bugatti and Alpine), yes? Some are new, some old, some real, some not.....and some look a wee bit stupid. In this world, it doesn't fully make sense. But maybe, in an alternative timeline, or some parallel universe, that happened. That kind of thing I find pretty cool.

With the real world vehicles, concepts/VGTs, and 'race modification' type cars, GTS seems full of this stuff. The track situation is similar, with a split between real tracks, and fictional ones with groundings in reality. I think PD have potentially gone some distance to creating a whole world that follows this idea - and I like it when video games create not just stuff, but worlds. So whilst for a lot of people the content is a big turn-off.........for me, it's probably this game's strongest selling point. Different strokes for different folks and all that :)

Another thing, partly related to this thread: I've noticed over the months that a popular opinion here is "they have this FIA partnership, obviously they should be using it to focus on putting in FIA associated stuff" (whilst this applies to both cars and tracks, I've seen it come up more often when talking about the latter). In the context of this partnership, I don't fully agree with this. I mean, PD could have focused on creating a video game version of, say, the WEC, or WTCC, or a formula series.........and it would be the video game version of that series. The championship(s), and the trophies awarded, would 'just' be the virtual version of something that already exists. Is it unfair to say 'just'? Maybe. But........

I'm purely speculating here, but I reckon that this wasn't the point of the PD-FIA partnership, and that the intention was to create something much more unique, that could stand on its own two feet not just in the world of video games, but in the world of motorsport too. I think the approach PD have taken with content stands a better chance of achieving this (as well as playing to PD's strengths in making a better game).

Having said all that, for balance:
- I agree that some of the more space-shippy concepts are probably a bit over the top, and don't fit in with the above argument
- I also agree that the amount of content is another matter from the type of content; whilst I like the world PD is creating, it is a small one.........hopefully it will get bigger over time.
- This argument is perhaps easier to make when you have games out there like PCARS2, which IMO has the greatest collection of real-world motorsport content ever assembled. If GT Sport's approach wasn't an alternative to complement what other games are doing, but was the only choice, I'd accept that it would probably be harder to stomach.

I only like modern gt cars and 90's super cars so PD should remove all road cars/lmps/vgts/concepts/rally etc. with a day one patch. Sounds absolutely ridiculous, right? Sounds like the standard /premium talk from the GT5 days.....

Simple solution, if you do not like a certain type of car, don't use it.

Yes, because pointing out the problems with a small car list with a lot of fake race cars and the lack of classic and current motorsport machinery is surely the same as a developer stacking the car list with PS2-era models only to pad the list.

Come on mate.

Concepts are fun to look at but I'm not bothered about driving them. I prefer cars I can relate to and that I see on a day to day basis. Even race cars aren't that exciting.

Why is that important? What's the relevance of a concept car being created for a game? Are they somehow worse for being created for a game rather than just for being an irrelevant lump of immobile pointlessness on a show stage?

Have a look at something like the Toyota FV2, the ED Torque, the Renault Symbioz or the Chery FD2030 and tell me why they're acceptable concept cars and the created-for-a-game Toyota FT-1 Vision GT, Mazda LM55, Alpine VGT or Volkswagen Vision GTI are not.

Aside from at least the Mitsubishi XR-PHEV (the latest in a line of similar concepts) and Subaru VIZIV (the latest in a line of similar concepts), and possibly the BMW Vision GT (which simply seemed to be a case of adapting a planned concept by putting a GT badge on it), MINI Clubman Vision GT (which was the 2014 Geneva concept car with a body kit), Lexus LF-LC VGT (which was a regular Lexus concept with a bodykit and paint) which were concepts that happened to make their way into a videogame. And by the looks of it, the Fittipaldi EF7

For me it's the 'grounded in reality' that makes the big difference. Some were made for reality reality and some were made for virtual reality. The mindsets were different and this somewhat influenced the design process. Now you may say there were equally 'out there' motorshow only cars but their purpose was different and therefore the design was different. Yes sometimes the changes are slight (some VGT cars have similarities to real concepts) but again when they added the body kit for example it was purely as a way of overdoing the design to make it videogame cool. Otherwise why not put the real original concept in game? That's the main objection I have.

For me it's the 'grounded in reality' that makes the big difference. Some were made for reality reality and some were made for virtual reality. The mindsets were different and this somewhat influenced the design process. Now you may say there were equally 'out there' motorshow only cars but their purpose was different and therefore the design was different. Yes sometimes the changes are slight (some VGT cars have similarities to real concepts) but again when they added the body kit for example it was purely as a way of overdoing the design to make it videogame cool. Otherwise why not put the real original concept in game? That's the main objection I have.
I think that's splitting hairs. A concept car that is made for reality and then ends up in the game (changed or not) is no different to a car made for a game that ends up in reality (again, changed or not). Both are still concept cars, and while yes there may be some artistic license on the game versions, the physical versions of these concept cars at motorshows are equally valid and created with the same mindset.

The Group 4 Citroen VGT was the most fun driving experience I've had so far. Felt like an LMP3 type car, not too much power, adequate downforce, and sounded great.

Back