amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,832 comments
^ Great photos above. I can never figure out how you people get such diffusion with outside photos.

Me? I'm still indoors:

IMG_1663.jpg

Recently arrived figure. Height is approx 26cm to the top of the crescent moon?
Played with using a LED RGB on the floor shining a blue upward, creating an ambient lighting, and then waved a warm LED above.
Tried something different and actually dialed the Clarity slider to -10. My aim was to get a softness, but I think it also took away the sharpness to really grab and sustain attention.

Last edited:
Hah, we must have! :lol: Are you going to be there for the GT Open race this month?

Unfortunately, I was only there on Saturday since I didn't take the Friday off and I wasn't available on Sunday. And your photos are absolutely amazing.

By the way, shortly after the start of the race on Saturday, I was on the inside of La Source for some time. If you see a guy in a light blue t-shirt in some of your photos, then that would be me, haha.

Anyway, here are some more photos from last weekend:

Last edited:
A Canon 300mm f2.8. The panning photo of the XJR-9 was with a 50mm f1.2.
Ah, nice, that makes sense. The focus fall off is delicious in those shots

I recently got a Sigma 100 - 400 f/5-6.3 for my A7ii which has been a massive upgrade from the Sony 55-210 APS-C kit lens that I originally had for my A6000 that I used to have. Its been great for birding and wildlife when I go out for nature walks, but definitely suffers in the bokeh department

Nobody told me that photographing birds is much more difficult than it looks. It takes a lot of patience and luck because they move in unpredictable ways and they don't really like humans.

"The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't."

I always like listening to this when I need to make my head hurt with pretzel logic.

Last edited:
Nobody told me that photographing birds is much more difficult than it looks. It takes a lot of patience and luck because they move in unpredictable ways and they don't really like humans.
That is true. Even after almost a decade of watching wildlife photographers on YouTube, and knowing what to do, it's still difficult.

It comes down to positioning, using the correct autofocus settings, and luck.

I'm currently struggling with the autoficusing system on my D7200. It misses a lot especially with a clear background which didn't make sense to me. Might just be the lighting, I'm not sure.

Like this photograph:

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by how slow blue jays actually fly. For a bright blue bird, you'd think it would dart from cover to cover like it's neighbor, the cardinal. They fly like bombers 😂 There's not a lot of urgency in their movements. Might be because of how sheltered they are in my area but I'm not certain.

I don't see a lot of birds of prey around here. In the last four years I've seen three hawks, and a great horned owl. Some other notable mentions are a pelican, the odd seagull, the staple of our country - the damn geese - and three vultures.

Few shots from the Masters Historic Festival at Brands Hatch last weekend...

Peugeot 90X (6) (Stuart Wiltshire) by Steve White, on Flickr

Tyrrell 012 (3) (Ian Simmonds) by Steve White, on Flickr

McLaren M1B (96) (Spiers-Greensall) by Steve White, on Flickr

Lotus 77 (6) (Nick Padmore) by Steve White, on Flickr

McLaren MP4-1B (8) (Mark Higson) by Steve White, on Flickr

Peugeot 90X (6) (Stuart Wiltshire) by Steve White, on Flickr

...not many gaps in the fence there now, so not much variety in my shots. Plenty of variety on track though, so cool to see works built LMP1 cars in the hands of privateers.

Fantastic work as usual Nico_Ble99.

Do you mind if I ask what resolution you upload your pictures to Flickr at please? I have just switched cameras and, now my images have a higher resolution, they appear to be fuzzy after upload. Do you resize at all, or just upload at the biggest size possible? (which is what I have always done in the past)

Latest Posts

Back