America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments

stop-trying-to-c7fc0b828e.jpg

I'd argue 111 W57 is actually pretty dang deco, at least as deco as you can get in contemporary construction & materials. The facade is all terracotta with some nice subtlety and the kind of glam detail you got with deco. Another thing it shares with deco - prodigiously expensive to build and made to look it.

f85adb4bf9462725856fe79ec5526d04.jpg

111-west-57th-street-skyscraper-nyc-s300320-6.jpg

With its slenderness ratio, the floor plate is pretty much dominated by the core. Luckily NYC doesn't need to deal with seismic...this would basically be a 1400' tower of solid reinforced concrete in San Francisco. :lol:

It's a pretty controversial project in architect circles, but I happen to think it's quite nice. It's hard enough to build anything this tall, let alone something with some real design in it.
You're right - it does have deco detailing ... and the overall silhouette is (I think) deliberately referencing deco styling, albeit on an extremely elongated scale. How the hell a building that thin and tall can be stable is a mystery to me, however. 😮

You're right - it does have deco detailing ... and the overall silhouette is (I think) deliberately referencing deco styling, albeit on an extremely elongated scale. How the hell a building that thin and tall can be stable is a mystery to me, however. 😮
The hover text from XKCD 277 sums it up pretty nicely:
You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think "some engineer was frustrated while designing this." It's a little human connection.

But the people have spoken and everyone else ever banned is allowed to come back.

I think Cyanide and Happiness is where I first learned of Zombie Jesus. Easter has not been the same since.

We should really have a "How is Elon Musk destroying Twitter today?" thread.
He fired more Twitter employees the night before Thanksgiving, paying them just one month of severance compared with the three months they would have gotten if they had chosen to leave the company in response to his ultimatum a week earlier.

FiTIP43XkAEPfE_.jpg

"The thing is, this is completely false, as multiple studies have shown. Conservatives weren’t more affected—it wasn’t even equal. The reality is that Twitter itself admitted its algorithm was boosting right-wing politicians and media, an admission supported by at least one independent study as well. Musk is claiming to plan to “fix” a problem that is a lie. And he’s planning to do that because it benefits his far-right buddies."

Last edited:
The severance issue is even worse according to 1 former employee. He said he was given 3 months, then asked to come back bc he was vital. Was immediately fired again w/ 4 weeks instead which may or may not have legal repercussions behind such a decision.

Waiting to see if Christmas delivers with a giant nail in Elon’s Twitter coffin.

He fired more Twitter employees the night before Thanksgiving, paying them just one month of severance compared with the three months they would have gotten if they had chosen to leave the company in response to his ultimatum a week earlier.

View attachment 1210970
"The thing is, this is completely false, as multiple studies have shown. Conservatives weren’t more affected—it wasn’t even equal. The reality is that Twitter itself admitted its algorithm was boosting right-wing politicians and media, an admission supported by at least one independent study as well. Musk is claiming to plan to “fix” a problem that is a lie. And he’s planning to do that because it benefits his far-right buddies."

It should be precisely no surprise to anyone that the white guy who grew up in Apartheid South Africa supports and simps for far-right white nationalism.

I would think Elon could give a better made up reason for delaying his re-relaunch of paid verification besides "I forgot that Apple collects a 30% fee on revenue an app on their store like they have for the past 10+ years and just won a major court case regarding it."

View attachment 1210970

These people are just engaging with the funny memes, of course. Why do you have to act like it's political?

Last edited:
At least now people understand how Elon Musk rewards loyalty. Give an ultimatum and offer three months of severance pay to people who choose to leave. Then fire the people who stay anyway and give them only one month's severance.

Ah sure. Because the two things are not connected at all and this is just an excuse to get his "government friends" to attack Apple.

Yoel Roth, former Head of Trust and Safety at Twitter, yesterday gave his first interview since resigning earlier this month to veteran journalist Kara Swisher during a Knight Foundation event.

Swisher claimed that Roth had once said Twitter was "actually safer under Elon." Asked if he still felt that way, Roth bluntly said: "I don't."

He clarified that any references he made to the platform being "safer" in the wake of the takeover were in response to a trolling campaign coordinated on internet cesspool 4chan to see how far they could push hateful conduct now Musk was in charge. He said that the team managed to tackle the trolls to bring such behavior back to a pre-campaign baseline.

"Why is it not safe now?" Swisher asked. Roth said that when people are "actively devising new ways to be horrible on the internet," you cannot leave the job of moderation wholly to ML.

"You can't automate it," he said. "There is no 'set it and forget it' when it comes to trust and safety. I think Twitter's challenge going forward is not 'can the platform build machine learning?' – sure they can – but are there enough people who understand the emergent malicious campaigns that happen on the service and understand it well enough to guide product strategy and policy direction.

"I don't think there are enough people left at the company who can do that work to keep pace with what's happening."
Anyone who remembers the debacle with Tumblr a few years back knows that algorithms and ML are basically worthless for something as constantly evolving as content moderation. They're only as good as the data that's put into them, and when people are intentionally looking for ways to confuse or circumvent what basically amounts to a very elaborate instruction sheet there's no way it can keep up with them. Especially when, y'know, most of the actual humans responsible for inputting data into those algorithms were sent out the door.

I would think Elon could give a better made up reason for delaying his re-relaunch of paid verification besides "I forgot that Apple collects a 30% fee on revenue an app on their store like they have for the past 10+ years and just won a major court case regarding it."
Ah sure. Because the two things are not connected at all and this is just an excuse to get his "government friends" to attack Apple.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Latest Posts

Back