Votes: 53 16.1%
  • No, proper English should be used

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I don't care at all

Votes: 95 28.8%
  • I prefer a mixture

Votes: 65 19.7%

• Total voters
I say that I get a packet of chips, not a pack of them. If someone comes in a box, I would consider it to be a pack and not a packet.

I say that I get a packet of chips, not a pack of them. If someone comes in a box, I would consider it to be a pack and not a packet.

I would use "bag" of chips rather than pack or packet because a packet in the southern states refers to very small things like ketchup and mustard packets like you get from a food/fast food place. Box and Pack get used around here pretty equally to describe similar things.

But to generalize, a pack of beer here would be a 6 or 12 count. After that people say "box" or "case". Box of beer is obvious but I am assuming that the usage of "case" would be because you carry them like a suitcase. Lol

I've always said Jag-You-Wire and now I'm going to be self conscious when saying it :lol:

As a compound vowel sound it makes sense to me to pronounce "ua" like "oo-ah", making it "jag-wahr".

I don't say "jag-WAHR", but I don't place much emphasis on the first syllable either.

I’m from the Southern part of the States where we say Jag-Wire. You can also here them rust down here on a quiet night. ;)

BS or correct?
Fine for American English, but not English.

Edit: Who's saying "vague", "vogue", and "queue" wrong? She's scraping the barrel by halfway through the first one.

Edit: The second video starts off terribly. She's suggesting that what can be a dialect difference in English is a defined difference between native and non-native speakers. An absolute load of arse.

Last edited:

Edit: Who's saying "vague", "vogue", and "queue" wrong? She's scraping the barrel by halfway through the first one.

Edit: The second video starts off terribly. She's suggesting that what can be a dialect difference in English is a defined difference between native and non-native speakers. An absolute load of arse.

I stopped after "echelon". I have never heard it incorrectly until the guy in that video. To which I thought, "well that's stupid".

Listening to my favourite Deftones album on a drive this morning and one track features the word “niche” multiple times. I hate that Americans pronounce it as “nitch” and not “neesh”.

Can't say I've ever heard anyone say it as "nitch" either in normal conversation. Maybe it's a California thing? Or Chino was just using artistic license so it rhymed with "pitch".

That is what I thought. Even I could pronounce these words "correctly" (taken into account my terrible Dutch (Flemish) accent, which is actually contradictory)) :D.

Last edited:
Is Canadian English the same as American English? When a Canadian pronounces "Out" and "about" I know he/she is Canadian.

It seems that British actors have much less problems using an American accent than American actors using a British accent*. Maybe it's because American actors don't need to use a British accent as often as British actors need to use an American accent.

*Correct?

It seems that British actors have much less problems using an American accent than American actors using a British accent*. Maybe it's because American actors don't need to use a British accent as often as British actors need to use an American accent.

*Correct?
I would hazard a guess that British actors have grown up watching and absorbing American TV shows more than American actors have done British ones.

There are some American actors/actresses who can really nail an English accent. Angelina Jolie springs to mind.
Honourable mention to Keanu Reeves for his efforts in Dracula lol.

I saw a clip where Angelina Jolie speaks with an English accent and it sounds great. But because my first language isn't English, so I can't judge if she nails it or not.

Suffice to say that there are much more British actors who speak American than American actors who probably nail the British accent.

Watching (the re-run of) "The Walking Dead", you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back