An Observation on GT Academy From a Real World Racer

Some of the top gamers are also pretty successful driving karts and lower formula cars too.

This is true and that's great for them and motorsports, I'm not saying they don't deserve to be there.

I expect they know how to look after their tyres and drive smoothly when necessary.

They are compared to Joe Gamer but still lacking compared to their peers, more noticeably as they climb higher on the motorsports ladder.

A time trial without tire wear in unrealistic? lolwut

The guys who can post those top times do the absolute maximum with what they are given. Isn't that the most important skill about the Academy? Knowing how the car behaves with acceleration, braking, and steering inputs and then adapting them(like Wardez said) to a real life car is, in my opinion, what matters most.

I've only driven gt6 now for about 3 weeks, but GT has some traits that would be tyre shredding in real life.

Turning more at the apex that needed to scrub an extra amount of speed is probably the worst one. Running abs 1, and slamming the brake to the floor in straight line braking zones is the 2nd (and you have to run abs 1 really to be consistently fast).

However, the time trial phase of GT A is all about exploiting what you have to the best of your ability, not necessarily learning real world driving techniques. Those who adapt to a chosen set of physics, whether it be real world or sim based, will be one of the qualities they are after.

Another is racecraft, which isn't a feature in the time trial rounds of GT A, but is at the national finals. Another is fitness, and the likelihood of being able to drive at the limit for hours on end with no mistakes in a real race car. And finally, personality, which although is probably the lowest criteria, you still have to pass with flying colours regardless, so that you are marketable.

But, this is almost the only opportunity some people have of getting into real world racing. It may be 1 in a million, but those odds are better than zero :)

Just ask my teammate from iRacing, Bryan H. :P

Cheers,
metal

/\ Ran a 35.7 just now at Apricot, but of course the server is now under maintenance, so the time won't reg, lol :) /\

But, this is almost the only opportunity some people have of getting into real world racing. It may be 1 in a million, but those odds are better than zero :)

Just ask my teammate from iRacing, Bryan H. :P

Cheers,
metal

/\ Ran a 35.7 just now at Apricot, but of course the server is now under maintenance, so the time won't reg, lol :) /\

That's a good point about opportunity, I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

I still need to make a decent run in the Z. I think I'm just barely faster than the gold prize time right now

Running abs 1, and slamming the brake to the floor in straight line braking zones is the 2nd (and you have to run abs 1 really to be consistently fast).

Actually, that's how you drive some cars. Specifically the GT-R. As some one who threshold brakes (non-ABS Miata's) I struggled with the concept of putting my foot through the floor not just in a straight line, but also during turn-in! That's what the instructors told us (me at least) to do the first time we rung the GT-R out around National Circuit...and it works. You just brake as hard as possible and let ABS do its job as you steer into the corner.

Actually, that's how you drive some cars. Specifically the GT-R. As some one who threshold brakes (non-ABS Miata's) I struggled with the concept of putting my foot through the floor not just in a straight line, but also during turn-in! That's what the instructors told us (me at least) to do the first time we rung the GT-R out around National Circuit...and it works. You just brake as hard as possible and let ABS do its job as you steer into the corner.

That's interesting, I didn't know that actually worked. Every car I've driven that has ABS it's most effective to brake as hard as possible without engaging ABS. If you did hit ABS then the car would take longer to stop and not want to turn

And using cockpit view should be a requirement too (my pet peeve)

QWkxfrJ.gif

Too add to this topic

Coming from iRacing back to GT is a nightmare...

But after some more track time it just feel like getting use to a different car...

My biggest disappointment is that the steering wheel settings are not mandated

Ended up having to use amateur setting to be competitive, basically made it feel like traction control was turned on for me.

We can't even see who is using what setting for the steering wheel setting...

That's my only gripe tho, still happy to finally be eligible in Canada...

I'll chime in.

In racing you do what it takes to win. Same should be with GT Academy. Drive the fastest way the game will let you. You drive the fastest the tracks will let you in real life, you bounce over curbs to shave .01 of a second. Take advantage of what you have and do what it takes to win. If sliding is the fastest way then do it! No one is judging your style in online competition, only lap time.

As far as the smoothness goes. This depends on many things. If you drive the GT3 GTR smoothly you will be slow. The car needs to be driven very aggressively to generate lap time out of it. The GT4 370z can and should be driven smoothly. as seen here.

Keep pushing. Do what it takes to win. If you don't have that attitude, you will never win GT Academy.

And using cockpit view should be a requirement too (my pet peeve)

Id back you up on this National finals should be cockpit view only

Chase view is not the real driving simulator

88c-v Racer how much did it cost to test the f430 gt2 was it like $10,000 for the day

Hey bicdriver have you tested the gt3 at donington its such a great track must be epic in something really quick

I have only driven the GT4 370 at Donington. It is a very cool track! The run to old hairpin can be pretty scary!

Yes run to the old hairpin must be out of this world in a downforce car. It was the first section I ever drove on a race track in a Vectra SRI (150hp) ish I think lol

Putting my two cents in... Chucking the car around on the edge all the time requires a lot of skill, so it is still the most skilled drivers that get to the top. Just being smooth doesn't make you a good racing driver, you have to constantly adapt to each situation you're thrown into and find the quickest way to go around the track. Also, in the real world it's not often you'll be able to do a lap that is perfect. The nature of GT with the ghost cars and everything means that the times at the top really are the absolutely perfect laps that would easily get you pole position if you managed to pull that lap off in real life. Of course without the restart button then it is very hard to reach that level of perfection in the real world, but you have to think that practicing to such a high level of perfection in the game will transfer across in some way!

Just throwing it out there, imagine if GT Academy was 5 lap total or average not one lap. Turn tire wear on and force aids off. It'd cover the main points of being a racing driver, taking care of your stuff, consistency, still would need to adapt to the game, and overall speed.

Just throwing it out there, imagine if GT Academy was 5 lap total or average not one lap. Turn tire wear on and force aids off. It'd cover the main points of being a racing driver, taking care of your stuff, consistency, still would need to adapt to the game, and overall speed.
The same people would still be fastest though. It'd just take a bit longer to put a run together...

With tire wear at very fast, 5 laps single trial and no aids ( no brake assist ) :P Highly doubt most of the quick ones will stay on top, even better put a stock Cizeta V16T there with comfort medium at Bathurst with 40% water on track :lol: They can practice the format in time trial mode, but the real deal 5 laps will be a test of wits, skill and consistency. For giggles, use Yellowbird or Stratos on 1st few rounds on comfort medium :D

With tire wear at very fast, 5 laps single trial and no aids ( no brake assist ) :P Highly doubt most of the quick ones will stay on top, even better put a stock Cizeta V16T there with comfort medium at Bathurst with 40% water on track :lol: They can practice the format in time trial mode, but the real deal 5 laps will be a test of wits, skill and consistency. For giggles, use Yellowbird or Stratos on 1st few rounds on comfort medium :D

If GT Academy wants to go down as the silliest competition in history, yes :P

If GT Academy wants to go down as the silliest competition in history, yes :P

:lol: It may sound silly, but I have been having fun racing stock Cizeta on the same condition ( 40% water ) in arcade mode, staying clean, no hitting, unlimited laps, targeting 1st place as quick as possible at Bathurst on CM tire, really good fun and challenging when you have Nissan GTR, Saleen S7 and Ferraris on your tail down on conrod :lol: Strictly for personal enjoyment :P

Probably, but it'd make it more interesting I think. It'd definitely put more emphasis on being consistent and not just having one good lap
Maybe, but I still think that the people that're fastest over one lap would be at the top still. It'd just make the event annoying for your average punter to complete...

It will actually be called the Ridox2JZGTE Academy. ;)

With tire made of cheese and butter for extra fun :lol: D1 GP Academy :lol: Now, PD should made that happen, Dori Dori will be the final judge with Orido :D

A post with replay of race in Cizeta, uploaded long ago back in 1.0 I think :lol:
Got a dropbox account made, here is a link to the replay : 2 lap arcade race, AI on Pro (10), Cizeta V16T, stock, CM tire, no aids, grip real, rain - weather 100%, water on track 30%. @Wardez : Be sure to try view the replay inside ( cockpit/interior view 2 ), lots of bumper to bumper and passes, the Saleen S7 almost had me on 2nd lap straight that leads to 2nd corner, outbrake him with no ABS in the wet - intense :D

RIDOX2JZGTE-Replay-Cizeta

Some shots :

crap, I'm going OT, better stop :lol:

Last edited:
Maybe, but I still think that the people that're fastest over one lap would be at the top still. It'd just make the event annoying for your average punter to complete...

Bandits right about consistency, if it was purely luck the top ranks would be varied massively! Yes ok spending a little longer on, or doing the extra laps will give some the slight advantage, but hey, that's the world we live in. I get an hour a night if that and I'm always 'up there' or have the possibility of getting rank 1. But you've still got to be consistent in the first place. I posted this picture on twitter last week during round 2 of the academy;

As you can see that's quite consistent and all the top guys on their current laps would be able to put in consistent laps of 1/2 tenths of their best. Or in my case that night, the same tenth on lap 3 lol. I do the academy for enjoyment and nothing more, if you want to be quick people have to stop complaining and start training/practicing/analyzing. As @BanditKarter22 said, these are ultimate qualifying laps, not something you can do in real life day in day out, so realism won't be there! Just gotta give it your best effort!

Bandits right about consistency, if it was purely luck the top ranks would be varied massively! Yes ok spending a little longer on, or doing the extra laps will give some the slight advantage, but hey, that's the world we live in. I get an hour a night if that and I'm always 'up there' or have the possibility of getting rank 1. But you've still got to be consistent in the first place. I posted this picture on twitter last week during round 2 of the academy;

As you can see that's quite consistent and all the top guys on their current laps would be able to put in consistent laps of 1/2 tenths of their best. Or in my case that night, the same tenth on lap 3 lol. I do the academy for enjoyment and nothing more, if you want to be quick people have to stop complaining and start training/practicing/analyzing. As @BanditKarter22 said, these are ultimate qualifying laps, not something you can do in real life day in day out, so realism won't be there! Just gotta give it your best effort!
I don't think even Senna at his best would have been able to do a lap as perfect as the ones at the top in real life! :crazy: 👍

Back