An Observation on GT Academy From a Real World Racer

I don't think even Senna at his best would have been able to do a lap as perfect as the ones at the top in real life! :crazy: 👍

True dat, I mean to really be rank 1 your talking a long long session of non stop restarts in same situation modes for the perfect lap, I think one of immortals had 300+ miles or KMs whatever it's in! Lots of effort for the perfect laps :P! That's why I tell people the national finals are different to the time-trials, aslong as you're good, you have a good chance at the finals :D!

Maybe, but I still think that the people that're fastest over one lap would be at the top still. It'd just make the event annoying for your average punter to complete...

Yep agree with you here 5 laps round a normal track is just like an easier nurburgring TT

The deal is that most of the top guys on here could get to the level of a bronze driver for the le mans 24hrs race its just opportunity to be a gold level sports car driver is a different matter.

Shame that the national finals or another legends of gta event don't have a live Grand Prix event 1hr 30 mins be great to see every one driving their brains out in a long race :cheers:

I also think the national finals should release a track list I'll be honest don't think I 've run a lap on half the tracks in gt6 🤬

I've lurked this board for years, and having almost made an appearance in several threads, I feel the need to chime in.

From pure observation and participation, the logic behind the Academy is to find that 'Senna' that's out there lurking. The previous participants are doing amazing things, and no offense to the OP, but exceeding at a higher level. For goodness sake, Jann is in GP3, and Lucas is racing the JGTCC...the series with cars we grew up loving in GT.

The fact these guys are shredding tires in the real world shows they instinctively find these limits of the car as a whole. They only need to be taught to go "slower and smoother" at this point. GT Academy has found that naturally talented individual, who has withstood the pressure of a serious competition. The development process thereafter is more logical, and theoretically can yield better results. These champions instinctively found the limit in the cars and the physics, an equal playing field, so they are more capable of finding it elsewhere.

It's beautiful seeing what you guys on the leaderboards can do, and now I'm convinced that aliens do exist...you're fast and have been too quick to be spotted.

Compared to everyone else he was insanely quick. But you can't say that he did that absolutely perfect lap where there was less than 0.05 left to find around the whole lap.

Perfect laps are subjective tbh. No real point squabbling over whether or not a perfect lap was achieved. In the end of the day as long as your faster than P2 during quali that lap is good enough 👍

no offense to the OP, but exceeding at a higher level. For goodness sake, Jann is in GP3, and Lucas is racing the JGTCC

None taken. If I had a sponsor like Nissan as the GT Academy drivers do I think I could cut it at the same level they're at. Money is the reason I'm still in the Legend, moving up to a series that will help you get noticed requires a lot of money. GT Academy drivers don't have that issue because Nissan funds them, which is great for their careers.

None taken. If I had a sponsor like Nissan as the GT Academy drivers do I think I could cut it at the same level they're at. Money is the reason I'm still in the Legend, moving up to a series that will help you get noticed requires a lot of money. GT Academy drivers don't have that issue because Nissan funds them, which is great for their careers.

It's easy for you to say that, but really you have no idea until you actually try it. Racing Legends and GP3 are world's apart. Not saying you can't do it, but I don't think it's as easy as you think it is.

In my opinion, regardless of track/settings/aids and car etc, we would still be seeing the same names up top.
I think you need the natural ability and the time to sit and put the hours in, without either you probably don't stand a chance.:)...lets not forget it probably helps being in good shape too. 👍

@88c-v Racer

I do agree with you in that its impractical to drive a race car in the same manner as you drive the virtual one when hot lapping, but let me ask you this. Do you think the fastest drivers drive in the same manner taking part in virtual races with real settings as they do when hot lapping for the academy? I think not. Infact, i've run in a few endurance series with some of the top virtual drivers in the world and i can tell you there just as quick under race conditions as you would expect based on hot lap results, making decent drivers look average. :lol:

Either way and as i said somewhere before, the cream always rises to the top. :D

Just my 2 cents. :gtpflag:

Could the physics model of GT use some work to be more "realistic"? Yes.

Would it change the results of GTAcademy? No.

Changing the physics merely changes the limits of the car. GTAcademy qualifiers know how to find the limits now matter what they are. FF, RWD, 4WD, CH, CS, SH, RH....they adapt to all configurations and combinations without a problem. A more realistic physics model will certainly be more enjoyable for some us, me included, but the results will be no different. You can either find the limits or you can't, end of story.

Me too! Don't we all lol :) I had my shot and failed though :(
You made it there man, that is success!!

Could the physics model of GT use some work to be more "realistic"? Yes.

Would it change the results of GTAcademy? No.

Probably not, but there is something there.

If you replaced GT6 with something completely non-realistic, like say Burnout Paradise, you'd expect a different group of people to win.

I figure that there's a spectrum between the non-realistic and reality, and the group of people that are fastest changes over that spectrum. Is GT6 close enough to the reality end that the people that win out in GT6 are the same people that would win out if they did it in real cars (which is sort of the point)?

Probably.

But there's a real chance that there's one or two who would make amazing race drivers but simply couldn't detrain themselves or develop the skills fast enough to be quick in GT. All real world race drivers are not aliens in sims. They're pretty universally quick, but they don't necessarily have the outright pace that the people at the top of the Academy leaderboards have.

If you replaced GT6 with something completely non-realistic, like say Burnout Paradise, you'd expect a different group of people to win.

I figure that there's a spectrum between the non-realistic and reality, and the group of people that are fastest changes over that spectrum. Is GT6 close enough to the reality end that the people that win out in GT6 are the same people that would win out if they did it in real cars (which is sort of the point)?

Probably.

But there's a real chance that there's one or two who would make amazing race drivers but simply couldn't detrain themselves or develop the skills fast enough to be quick in GT. All real world race drivers are not aliens in sims. They're pretty universally quick, but they don't necessarily have the outright pace that the people at the top of the Academy leaderboards have.

I would think someone really fast in GT6 would be really fast in Burnout Paradise after a week. In my experience all racing games / simulators are the same: get from point A to point B as fast as you can. They would just need to learn the tricks in Burnout Paradise like they did in GT6. Of Course the tricks in Burnout Paradise will never work in real life :lol:

Now if they needed to avoid AI cars on the road then that would require a different skill.

Driving fast in the game , is nothing like driving fast in the real world...there arent any consequences in the game, if these fast gamers tried to drive like that in real life, they would destroy the car in a matter of seconds...in the game youre just praying to run the perfect lap, does that take game skills....yes, does it apply to real life....NOPE

In real life racing news, I had a race today. I tried doing a few laps in the Legend during practice with the driving style from GT Academy and I didn't go any faster, but didn't really lose any time either. We did miss the setup a bit and were chasing the car all day, it was a handful for sure haha

I suppose I'll add my two cents here.

Just like in racing, you do what you have to do in order to be the fastest. In Gran Turismo, that means chucking the cars into corners and abusing the handbrake. That won't work in real life but the ones that make it to Silverstone typically have enough seat time to know what translates over and what doesn't.

Hmm not necessarily, I was ranked 12 in the world on that, I think it was rank 12 unless I went a little higher! Was some years ago :P!

Hmm not necessarily, I was ranked 12 in the world on that, I think it was rank 12 unless I went a little higher! Was some years ago :P!

Hahah mental.. I was always in top 20 as well. Was my domain before I started properly on GT5

I'd preferred SEGA F355 Challenge, the triple screen version with H-gated shifter and clutch than Burnout Paradise, it was still the best feeling with a wheel - I spent many session and winning races :D Heel and toe FTW. The clutch works, unlike GT6 :lol: Yeah, mandatory clutch + heel and toe :lol:

You do what you have to do to win in both the game and real life of course. I can tell you I drive a real race car completely different than I do in the game. It took me a bit to get over the fact that guys just threw the car around in the game and didn't have to drive as smooth as I would've thought they would. But I wanted to win to get where I am now so I watched a ridiculous amount of replays to see how the top guys were getting such quick times. There are ways to manipulate the handling of the car in game to make you go faster but will never work on a real race track. It's frustrating but you just have to overdrive the car in the game to be quick. Whip it into corners, massive understeer, sometimes even tap the e-brake to get the car to rotate. As far as my real driving goes...just ask Boris Said how smooth I am ;)

You do what you have to do to win in both the game and real life of course. I can tell you I drive a real race car completely different than I do in the game. It took me a bit to get over the fact that guys just threw the car around in the game and didn't have to drive as smooth as I would've thought they would. But I wanted to win to get where I am now so I watched a ridiculous amount of replays to see how the top guys were getting such quick times. There are ways to manipulate the handling of the car in game to make you go faster but will never work on a real race track. It's frustrating but you just have to overdrive the car in the game to be quick. Whip it into corners, massive understeer, sometimes even tap the e-brake to get the car to rotate. As far as my real driving goes...just ask Boris Said how smooth I am ;)
Boris Said? You seen him do the 2011 gold coast 600 in a V8 supercar. Ask him about that and you will see why he has never race in V8 supercars since. He didn't go so well in one of them, if you ever get the chance to drive one of them, GT3 GTR will feel like an F1 after that.

Hey guys,
I'm only 16 years old but doing quiet well in GT academy, by that I hope to start a race career :) haha
but like everyone said, addapting is really important here.
I noticed that in GT A '13 and i hated it because it is mire like drifting. Normally i am a karter but i got used to it.
But I think this year there won't be something like trailbraking.
This year it will be with the gtr gt3 at spa (my country :P )
i already practised on that, and it is like real racing. I mean no drifting and smooth driving. The biggest problem is understeer and the cones which will appear... (doing 2:19.5 now, for mor information: there is another thread about this) but like always the best will find a way to do better

Back