An open letter for Kaz and the Team at PD

  • Thread starter Thread starter stucar17
  • 110 comments
  • 8,217 views

do you agree with me ?

  • Yes

    Votes: 120 71.9%
  • No

    Votes: 21 12.6%
  • In part

    Votes: 26 15.6%

  • Total voters
    167
  • Poll closed .
Sony has no control over Polyphony's release schedule. They are independent companies. If it was a launch title for the PS4 then sure Sony might be applying some pressure, but this is PS3. It was released full of bugs and little to no beta testing due to greed. PD wanted the holiday sales, pushed out a half-complete product and expect us to wait months for them to get it right. I'm a "fanboy" of the Gran Turismo game franchise, but definitely not for GT6.
 
Sony has no control over Polyphony's release schedule. They are independent companies.
You are joking right? http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/

Board Members:
Kazunori YamauchiRepresentative Director
Andrew HouseDirector
Shuhei YoshidaDirector

No SONY involvement at all ... right?
 
The argument over Sony control over PD is a strawman position. It's irrelevant in any case, no matter how much or how little control they have. Everybody in business works to deadlines that's how it is. If they didn't work to deadlines they'd be called government not business:dopey: PD has had 15 years to figure out their relationship with Sony they aren't raw rookies in the gaming scene. Therefore no excuse to use deadlines as a reason for something not being in the game at launch or parts incomplete. You design the game to work with the deadlines and resources you are given, end of story. If you fail at that it's on you, not the parent company.
 
Thats a horrible idea. This is a forum. People are here to voice their opinions.

That's a peculiar dichotomy... people are here to voice their opinions but should only have certain opinions available? :D

Maybe there should be a thumbs-up/thumbs-level system for posts rather than just the current Like/Ignore options... but if you're into allowing full expression of opinion then you can't do that in parts ;)
 
That's a peculiar dichotomy... people are here to voice their opinions but should only have certain opinions available? :D

Maybe there should be a thumbs-up/thumbs-level system for posts rather than just the current Like/Ignore options... but if you're into allowing full expression of opinion then you can't do that in parts ;)
Any posts which don't contribute can be taken care of by mods in my opinion.
 
Should have named the game GT5.5
I still don't get this argument.

These days, almost all games are just evolutions of the last one. Look at the CoD series, Forza 2-4, and others.

This has always been especially true on the even numer GT's. 2 and 4 were just stepped up versions of their predicessors.

The reason that 6 seems like less of a leap is because content takes longer to make. Cars in GT4 only needed 4,000 polygons. Whenever they want to add a new car in GT6 though, it's over 200,000.

So, yeah. GT5.5. And I don't really see what's so wrong with that.

Also, people take the updates for granted. Go play V1.01 of GT5 and then play 1.01 of GT6 and tell me that you don't see a new game.
 
Last edited:
The reason that 6 seems like less of a leap is because content takes longer to make. Cars in GT4 only needed 4,000 polygons. Whenever they want to add a new car in GT6 though, it's over 200,000.
I agree with you but there.
The 3d modeling tools evolved a lot since 2001-2004 which was the dev time of GT4.
 
I agree with you but there.
The 3d modeling tools evolved a lot since 2001-2004 which was the dev time of GT4.
This is true, but it still takes time to model the cars with such detail, even with improved tools.
 
I still don't get this argument.

These days, almost all games are just evolutions of the last one. Look at the CoD series, Forza 2-4, and others.

This has always been especially true on the even numer GT's. 2 and 4 were just stepped up versions of their predicessors.

The reason that 6 seems like less of a leap is because content takes longer to make. Cars in GT4 only needed 4,000 polygons. Whenever they want to add a new car in GT6 though, it's over 200,000.

So, yeah. GT5.5. And I don't really see what's so wrong with that.

Also, people take the updates for granted. Go play V1.01 of GT5 and then play 1.01 of GT6 and tell me that you don't see a new game.

Have a look at gameplay instead. How has it evolved from GT5. Is the AI better? Are the offline events better or worse? How is the career as a whole, better or worse? What's the long term playability offline?
 
Have a look at gameplay instead.

That's silly, because there's a lot more to a game than just the gameplay. But okay.

It is a big part of it so I definitely will analyze it


How has it evolved from GT5.

It's somewhat the same I'd say, but I didn't mind how it was before. I know some do, but not me.

Is the AI better?

Yes. It isn't good enough, and rubber banding is too strong but it is better. Once you pass the leader, you can have some incredible races.

Are the offline events better or worse?

Better. PP in place, more restrictions, etc. I like it.

How is the career as a whole, better or worse?

Too short (for now) but better.

What's the long term playability offline?

It's been in my PS3 since launch day, and I haven't done a single online race (other than seasonals)


It still isn't good enough, there are many improvements they can make. But I honestly prefer it to GT5, if they could swap the rubber banding with grid starts then it would be incredible to race some of those aggressive AI.
 
That's silly, because there's a lot more to a game than just the gameplay. But okay.

I didn't say there was only gameplay, I said take a look at it.

It's somewhat the same I'd say, but I didn't mind how it was before. I know some do, but not me.

Somewhat the same is quite generous. AI is still terrible. No standing starts. No qualifying. No difficulty slider. No event generator. They added PP and tire restrictions but they are so far off they are a joke. If you aren't moving forwards you're going backwards and they certainly aren't moving forwards.

Yes. It isn't good enough, and rubber banding is too strong but it is better. Once you pass the leader, you can have some incredible races.

Perhaps our definition of racing is different. Arriving at the finish line around the same time as your opponent isn't racing. Racing is cars of generally equal pace and capability battling it out in close proximity. Making up a 25 second deficit in 3 laps while you navigate around moving pylons isn't a race.

Too short (for now) but better.

Better how? Do you actually get the feeling you are in a virtual racing career when you play GT offline? I and I would hazard to guess that 90+% of people that played offline, view the so called career mode as just a collection of nearly random races with absolutely no feeling of being in a career at all. There's no feeling of progression, no feeling of accomplishment, no milestones to achieve. No career path to follow. Each race is identical to the one before it, only the cars and tracks change. How exactly is it better?
 
It's amazing how tense the conversations could become over here.
It is, also, a fact that every single body wants Gran Turismo to evolve, once and for all.

I'll share my thoughts on the previous commented topics.

The career mode: nothing special. Actually, nothing at all.
I do believe that those are just a random collection of races without any kind of goal.
I'd love to have more championships, more "next race", more points, more proper racing.

I was doing some yesterday and I had a crash, I went way off of the track, and I was 5 seconds ahead, something like that...
I saw how the corvette behind me reduced his speed, or at least he didn't hurry to catch me....

That's sad, really sad.
It's even more sad to say that coming from a long GT fan, but those are the facts.

The sound... well, I have to admit it. I've been defending those for quite a while, trying to get something good out of it.
Like hearing how the other cars sound when they pass you having the chasing cam selected. Or even hearing how they sound far away from you in, for example, Nurburgring GP. Those effects are amazing in 5.1, but you don't have any kind of emotion.
You just CAN'T feel the car.
I made my own way to hear things a little bit better, I selected the Large Theater option, and I've used as a guide the volume from the menues.
We all know that the volume decreases dramatically when you do that, so I rise up the volume to hear in a pleasent way the music in the menus, so that way, I deduced in a very silly way, the engines will sound... "better or more realistically" during races.
I like, if I can say that, what I hear, but it still a slap in the face.

I've always said, ok, Kaz is a racing driver, he knows how his GT-R GT3 sound and stuff like that but I'm running out of words lately.
Though the GT-R GT3 sound pretty cool, I'd not say that's realistic, having seen a lot of videos from the official channel of Nissan, when he and other Nismo drivers were racing on the Ring.

I still defend the game. The vision and his achievements, but as I said before, I'm running out of words and I can't avoid to feel somehow robbed sometimes.
I just need some improvements.

I've said that Sony didn't talk with PD. They should.
 
This is true, but it still takes time to model the cars with such detail, even with improved tools.
Not sure it takes more time now than in 2001... 3D scanning, photo-extruding and stuff... That was science fiction at that moment.
 
I didn't say there was only gameplay, I said take a look at it.



Somewhat the same is quite generous. AI is still terrible. No standing starts. No qualifying. No difficulty slider. No event generator. They added PP and tire restrictions but they are so far off they are a joke. If you aren't moving forwards you're going backwards and they certainly aren't moving forwards.



Perhaps our definition of racing is different. Arriving at the finish line around the same time as your opponent isn't racing. Racing is cars of generally equal pace and capability battling it out in close proximity. Making up a 25 second deficit in 3 laps while you navigate around moving pylons isn't a race.



Better how? Do you actually get the feeling you are in a virtual racing career when you play GT offline? I and I would hazard to guess that 90+% of people that played offline, view the so called career mode as just a collection of nearly random races with absolutely no feeling of being in a career at all. There's no feeling of progression, no feeling of accomplishment, no milestones to achieve. No career path to follow. Each race is identical to the one before it, only the cars and tracks change. How exactly is it better?
To make it simple, rFactor is my favorite game of all time. Everything in that game is just about what I'd call ideal in a racing sim (except for the now dated graphics)

Believe me, I love the practice, qualifying, and racing aspect. I love yellow flags, a warm-up lap before a grid start, advanced pit stops, in-depth tuning, and a wide variety of cars, tracks, and races. I especially like the adjustable AI which make mistakes on their own, and which also come with a slider that allows you to change their speed in 1% increments.

If GT could become that, I would be very happy. The difference between our views is that I'm still pretty happy with how GT is now. But I definitely agree that it needs to be different. 👍

EDIT: I will add that the problem with most games today seems to be a lack of a good career. The issue is that they all seem to be a collection of random races.. Grid 1 did a good job in career progression, as do most of the Codemaster games (barring the F1 series which I still greatly enjoy regardless)

Even Forza, despite attempts, has a very stoic feeling career mode.
 
The other important factor to consider, at least for me, is that you always come back for more in GT.
I've been playing some SHIFT, Grid 2...
I don't know why but I keep looking back for Gran Turismo. It has some kind of magic that I can't explain, even with ALL of its drawbacks... Is that make any sense?
 
I still don't get this argument.

These days, almost all games are just evolutions of the last one. Look at the CoD series, Forza 2-4, and others.

This has always been especially true on the even numer GT's. 2 and 4 were just stepped up versions of their predicessors.

The reason that 6 seems like less of a leap is because content takes longer to make. Cars in GT4 only needed 4,000 polygons. Whenever they want to add a new car in GT6 though, it's over 200,000.

So, yeah. GT5.5. And I don't really see what's so wrong with that.

Also, people take the updates for granted. Go play V1.01 of GT5 and then play 1.01 of GT6 and tell me that you don't see a new game.

I call it GT5.5 because they did not release a prelude like they did with 4 and 5. GT5 had bugs but though they were many I can excuse them for it because it was the first GT title to have online gaming. now PD is npt exactly new to the world of online gaming and should be able to fix bugs and glitchs like the tyre glitch. IMO I think if PD had released a prelude to GT6 like the did with 4 and 5, we would not be having this conversation
 
I call it GT5.5 because they did not release a prelude like they did with 4 and 5. GT5 had bugs but though they were many I can excuse them for it because it was the first GT title to have online gaming. now PD is npt exactly new to the world of online gaming and should be able to fix bugs and glitchs like the tyre glitch. IMO I think if PD had released a prelude to GT6 like the did with 4 and 5, we would not be having this conversation
We wouldn't be having this conversation because if they had released a Prologue first, the actual game still wouldn't be here.
 
true but I woudn't have mineded so much because I'd know that most of the problems that would be in the prologue would be dealt with and GT6 would have beenbetter than it is at it's current state. WOW really confusing to try to type in pretense :lol:
 
I just wonder why GTPlanet only has either a Like or Reply Option to other member's posts. I sincerely wish that Jordan would implement a DISLIKE option in the near future to help eliminate the many useless threads that pop up from time to time.

Edit: I am contemplating starting a petition here on GTPlanet to add a DISLIKE option as a response to annoying posts and threads, with a recommendation that 10 DISLIKES causes said post or thread to be CLOSED.
Start a petition and i'll dislike it! :lol:
 
If i had of known that Kaz was going to re-model my wardrobe in the last update, i would have made my opening post much longer, perhaps to ask for things like mowing the grass on the track edge so it wasn't slippery, clearing marbles from the edge of the track and repainting the walls of Bathurst because the second set of tires try to kill me after my pit stop......or at least telling me when they might be coming.....

With the amount of frustration by a huge number it would seem, they just dont listen, or care.
 
Back