Android, iPhone and iPad GT5P time trial ranking monitor

• Thread starter Calcifer
  • 121 comments
Calcifer
Hi all,

I've just made a GT5P time trial application for Android based mobile phones!

You can select a track, car and time trial mode and it shows the top 100 rankings. Selecting one of the drivers will show more details about the record like the date the record is date set and physics mode. The record details are taken from Sony's GT website.

I tried to make it look as slick and GT-like as possible (we wouldn't settle for anything less :)
It's free and works on Android 1.5 or higher and supports all screen sizes. It can be found on the Android marketplace (in the entertainment section or search for "Gran Turismo")

The idea is to have a similar app for GT5 (provided that the data is still made available by PD, of course). Who knows, maybe a real API will be made available by PD allowing us things like transition charts like the one shown on the news page of GTPlanet :D

Some screen shots taken from an SonyEricsson X10 (my test phone):

screen1n.png

screen2wv.png

screen3db.png

Let me know if there are any problems running it.

Last edited:
Looks very nice... Although I am with the enemy (Apple) because I have an iPhone, so dont think I will be able to use it. I do have a small off-topic question... How is the SE X10??? I read about it and it looked quite impressive.

Looks very nice... Although I am with the enemy (Apple) because I have an iPhone, so dont think I will be able to use it. I do have a small off-topic question... How is the SE X10??? I read about it and it looked quite impressive.

I really like the X10. It's very fast and think it looks great. Having a large high resolution screen is great too.

I like Apple stuff too (I'm using a MacBook Pro right now) so maybe if there's demand I can port it to iPhone. I'm thinking about buying that new iPad so who knows....

More Android store ratings may mean an iphone version ;)

I'm looking into an iphone version now. May take a while since acceptance by Apple may take weeks (and I've not finished coding yet :))

is it possible you could post the .apk file for android somewhere

its much more convenient if it is installed on the sd card

great app by the way

I'm not sure if that would be more convenient. All apps are installed on the phone's internal storage anyway. Even if you install them from SD card.

It's only 300KB. Surely you can reserve a special place for it on the phone? ;)

No problem i was just wondering because if I can find the app somewhere else I would rather store it on my sd card rather than my phones internal memory

half a gig is not much for apps

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this. Are you still maintaining the app? I'd like to feature it on the News blog.

Edit: Just tried it out on a friend's Android phone (I'm an iPhone user), and it's very slick. Great work!

That is a killer app, I just got my DROID this weekend too, great timing 👍 Thanks for your work on this mate.

Jerome

Not sure how I missed this either. Just installed, and left you a nice rating and comment. 👍

Thanks for all the encouragements. A news item would be great. We could even measure how large the impact of a GTPlanet news message will be on the download count (I have 1649 downloads now)

The app is still in maintenance. Not that I'm implementing new features but I will try to fix things if there are problems. So far I haven't had any failure reports, though. I've put a lot of time in supporting all those different screen variations that exist and that seems to pay of. It looks really cute on those ultra small screen phones like the X10 mini, BTW :)

I'm currently making an iPhone version. It's almost finished but I still have to go through the Apple submission process which may take weeks.

Here's a little preview on how it will look:

iphonegt5prankingsprevi.png

Fantastic, when it comes through it'll be a great service to the community, well done mate :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Update! I've just sent my app to Apple for submission. So if all goes well and there are no issues expect to see it on the store in a week or so. I'll keep you updated on what happens.

Back