Another V8 Bites the Dust as Mercedes Reportedly Goes Hybrid for AMG Models

Welcome to the future, whether you like it or not.

The future is complicated. Going to have to have a college degree to work on your car. Lol

In all seriousness. These cars were out of my range anyway. As long as there is still a cheaper less complicated sports car(see mazda mx5 or Subaru BRZ) on the market I can be happy.

The future is complicated. Going to have to have a college degree to work on your car. Lol
You already do. Source: I have one for that. :lol:

In all seriousness though; it would've been nice if they only dropped 2 cylinders and brought in some turbo V6's, but the M139 is an absolutely mental engine on its own.

In all seriousness. These cars were out of my range anyway. As long as there is still a cheaper less complicated sports car(see mazda mx5 or Subaru BRZ) on the market I can be happy.

I doubt that you’ll need a degree. The wyotech’s and uti’s do keep up with tech pretty well and not all those people coming out of there are clueless. Cars are already complicated with a ton of electronics and different systems all in parallel and the kids that will be coming of age and working on mostly electric cars will have a different foundation of knowledge and more examples of the same tech In other industries to refer too. It’s us old guys that are gonna be scratching our heads. But I’m looking forward to the change. I will miss the smell of racing fuel and bean oil. But I won’t miss that smell of stale fuel and old oil that permeates my clothes just from working in a shop. Times a changing. And they’ll keep on changing. Horses didn’t seem to mind our getting off their backs. I think. I haven’t really asked a horse I guess.

There's still a market for people who want to run an entire country on coal power, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I wish there was a way enthusiasts can buy the car they want, even if it is a 68 GT500 KR, while not compromising the enviroment.

I wish there was a way enthusiasts can buy the car they want, even if it is a 68 GT500 KR, while not compromising the enviroment.
Convince a Karen to just buy a hatchback/sedan instead of an SUV, even better if it's used as IIRC the environment has taken most of the impact of that car's life already.

The last of the V8s needs to be black with a supercharger and a bunch of "go-faster" aero parts on it.
There are. ;)
aqn3wgdqf3birwk6d4geobei0.jpg

wideM-159.jpg

About the V8 question. Wonder how much electricity it'd take, to run a V8 configured engine?

Well, that removes any shred of special sauce the C- Class AMG held over the Audi and BMW competitors. A hybrid 4 pot, no matter how powerful is not a luxury performance engine.

IIRC, MB has a brand new I6 that could fit this bill... It's also worth remembering that small turbo engines are generally either powerful or efficient, but not always at the same time.

The future should've be a choice though. There's still a market for those who still desire V8s.

I don’t think we get to choose the future. And the market probably wont be big enough to sustain the few people that still want v8’s. I work on the occasional AMG and trust me. Most Those people only think they are car people. They are using that AMG badge as just that,A status badge. If it goes faster and is more expensive than the non AMG version. That’s all they care about.

I'm a simple man, I love the sound of the V8, no other hybrid has been able to replicate that. This is the only thing which concerns me, I'm all for future technology in all regards.

There are several problems with it though, I'll link the video tomorrow and edit my comment with it. I'm not saying that we won't figure it how to do effectively, because there are more and more hybrid cars coming, so the demand for it will increase.

Edit: The video is 3 years old, so I'll link some articles which are more recent instead.
https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...s-big-battery-waste-problem-lithium-recycling
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour.../F37D3914A1F5A8FD0ED3EF901664D126/core-reader

Last edited:
There are several problems with it though, I'll link the video tomorrow and edit my comment with it. I'm not saying that we won't figure it how to do effectively, because there are more and more hybrid cars coming, so the demand for it will increase.
Come 2020 and beyond, it shouldn't be that surprising anymore once hybrids become more common in the streets.

500 horsepower out a stock 4 cylinder engine?

See, 500 out of a V8? Meh, doesn't seem hard to do. Now out of a 4 cylinder? Wonder how much R&D Mercedes put into it to make it reliable to be used everyday and be confident to warranty it for 3 years at least.

500 horsepower out a stock 4 cylinder engine?

See, 500 out of a V8? Meh, doesn't seem hard to do. Now out of a 4 cylinder? Wonder how much R&D Mercedes put into it to make it reliable to be used everyday and be confident to warranty it for 3 years at least.
Plus, I wonder how much more balanced the cars will be. Should be lighter than the V8TT.

Back