Any Artists Here?

• Thread starter aidan8500
  • 262 comments
@Boston77 -

What stunning work. :boggled: 👍

Yes, you are more than welcome to post in this thread - there's all sorts of media used in here - as long as it's analog to begin with. :lol:

You make me want to be a bird - I'd go for a peregrine but even yon everyday cock-sparrow would do.
The problem would be deciding between the lighthouse and the castle.

I see you use wood, real shingles, ceramic tile . . . what are the castle walls made of?
With that kind of skill I can only imagine the diorama backdrops you could make for die-cast modellers. :crazy:

@photonrider,
I've never heard my work called stunning before. That is a great compliment and I thank you very much for it!

Everything is made from junk materials except for the fake plants and sometimes the paint. For the castle, I found a 1/2 can of used "granite finish" spray paint. Thought it would work perfect for a castle. I think it turned out well.

The light house came from an old table leg I found.

The Bi-Planes engine was from shower curtain hangers, a woman's bracelet and some wood.

Lastly, thanks for allowing me to post some pictures of my hobby here.

If you are using them as birdhouses, wouldn't it be safer for the birds if you didn't paint them?

@AOS-,
Yes. 100% agree. Most functional birdhouses should remain unpainted.
But, like I mentioned last page, I consider them more art over function. 99% of the people who have bought them use them as a decorative piece. Most sit next to plants in someone's home.
To take something that was going to be tossed and make something nice from it has always been my intended purpose. What people choose to do with it after they leave my hands, I can't control.

PS: I've been a Vet. Tech for the last 14 years. I have the upmost respect for other living creatures I share the planet with and would never intentionally cause harm.

@photonrider,
I've never heard my work called stunning before. That is a great compliment and I thank you very much for it!

You're welcome. I mean it. While the actual craftsmanship is commendable, it is the passion behind it that is inspiring, and the thoughts you express - your love for the birds (and their lives) show through in trying to create these fantastical pieces. Only a birdbrain would refuse to live in a Tie Fighter! :lol:
But, of course, no way are they functional, - the Bird Real Estate agents would take you to task at the dismal lack of suitable perches before they dare show Mr and Mrs Nuthatch your stuff.
And, heavens, whoever did the exterior decorating didn't have a clue about predators! :lol:
As works of art they are unique and quite beautiful - I'm sure people you know IRL beg of you for one.

Everything is made from junk materials except for the fake plants and sometimes the paint. For the castle, I found a 1/2 can of used "granite finish" spray paint. Thought it would work perfect for a castle. I think it turned out well.

I have worked with granite finishes quite often - in fact, low VOC finishes that are non-toxic (I used to work in the paint industry) in spray form as well as compounds that are mixable to custom shades and textures, so I can identify with using it that way. The fact that you use castaway materials and reshape them into statements of art is not new but what you are doing with them and what you are expressing - a love to bring heavenly homes to the birds - is surely worth some attention.
Don't fail to show us new work you've done. 👍

A friend asked if I could make a bat house for him. Never tried to do one before. Exterior siding, fence boards and cage wire were used.
image.jpeg

Well if you consider someone who constantly draws race tracks, custom Pokemon, Pokemon that exists, video game levels and designing my very own Card Game, then I would be an artist,

A good one, I'm a bit doubtful but still.

Question for any artists who sit for long periods. Im looking for any recommendations for chairs and desks. My lower back is usually the most sore but dont want to spend money and still have issues.

So any setups you guys use and have success, please share.

I don't really have a set up when I got and draw, sometimes I'll draw lying down on my bed so I can't really 100% help you on that. Though probably find a Chair that curves outwards just a little bit.

Question for any artists who sit for long periods. Im looking for any recommendations for chairs and desks. My lower back is usually the most sore but dont want to spend money and still have issues..

Sit properly. Get up every now and then (at most 1 hour) and stretch and/or move those stationary limbs. Cost: $0.

No high end chair will keep your back in check if you sit for long periods of time in general.

Your drawing surface should be tilted at a 45 degree angle, or whatever angle you need so that your angle of vision is perpendicular to the drawing surface. This is to avoid a foreshortened view of your work surface due to viewing at a different angle. Doing this will also reduce the likeliness of hunching over your table which causes back pain.

If all else, stand. Standing will also engage your legs so that's another bonus. If you like this idea, you can raise your drawing table so that it is at the right height whether you're standing or sitting (in a high chair).

Last edited:
That's good advice, Andy - most often when working on a large canvas I mount it on a wall.
Taking breaks is what's important, and a few asanas thrown in - even a 3 minute stretch every hour or so - helps.

Here's a pic of one of my artist's nooks - and a five minute doodle. I like doing those five minute doodles - you look at something and then just doodle it down quick, and it comes to life. ;)

IMG_0101_zps5gk4fnlt.jpg

IMG_0124_zpst2jwrxyv.jpg

Graphics artist here...my work can been seen by following the link in my sig and I also have a thread here in this sub-forum showing some of my work. Not an expert by any means, its just something that I like to do.

That's good advice, Andy - most often when working on a large canvas I mount it on a wall.
Taking breaks is what's important, and a few asanas thrown in - even a 3 minute stretch every hour or so - helps.

Here's a pic of one of my artist's nooks - and a five minute doodle. I like doing those five minute doodles - you look at something and then just doodle it down quick, and it comes to life. ;)

IMG_0101_zps5gk4fnlt.jpg

IMG_0124_zpst2jwrxyv.jpg

Well that's great, man :) Usually doing some quick sketches of a particular object in around 5~30 minutes can help you try to see the object as it is - which is really important if you want to be better at free-hand analog drawings. :)

Well that's great, man :) Usually doing some quick sketches of a particular object in around 5~30 minutes can help you try to see the object as it is - which is really important if you want to be better at free-hand analog drawings. :)

Definitely. 👍
Practise makes perfect, and constant practise adds not only to muscle memory regarding the use of implements and media, but also towards re-imprinting of the neurons involved that strengthen connections and make for better judgement of perspective, depth, chroma and shade et al.
'Free-hand' analog drawings . . . that's an interesting term. :D

I very rarely work digitally - my artwork is predominantly analog and I involve myself in many analog projects at once - right now several large canvasses on the go as well as a few sculptures in various stages. I also do water-colours and oil pastels on 30 X 24 100lb Board - some of these are in various states of completion.
I'm also into construction - much like Boston77 - but instead of birdhouses (regular ones - which I constructed once) I am midway through the construction of a panoramic miniature village as a backdrop for photographing miniature scale models.
It is the artisanal that takes time . . . and skill - otherwise all is art, since art is metaphor.
Capturing metaphor that is universal - that is divine talent. And capturing it fast - for everyone to see it as it is - that is truly an artisan with a practised eye.

:cheers:
H

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My latest bird house I made for a friends house warming gift. He just bought a house on a private air strip and wants to get his pilots liscence asap. He is, sadly, a Detroit Red Wings fan. His name is also Damon. That's where the "D" comes into it.

Thanks for allowing my to post pics of my hobby.

I've heard of some birds being 'high-flyers' and this should fit their bill. :lol:

Is it a '2 B/R'? There seems to be some walkway under the cockpit. Or a 'one B/R, one L/R' situation? For a moment I missed the entrance and thought they were going to use the cockpit as an open nest - but then it occurred to me that a barrel roll wouldn't do the eggs any good. :dopey:

Beautiful piece of work. Your friend is lucky to have a friend who would output so much passion and energy on their behalf. 👍

Some really not so great 5am studies. Having a really hard time actually putting heads on a full fledged (or in this case half fledged :lol:) figure and it's really bugging me.

To quote from a book in my collection (Great Drawings - Paul Sachs) :

"To draw lines or outlines is a way to express ideas - the grammar of art. Drawing is, indeed, the fundamental element in all great picture making; just as grammar is at the root of all good writing."

Your faces are great - it's the proportions in relation to the body that matter - examine your everyday routines; to what kind of people are you usually exposed to? Look at the proportion of their heads to their bodies. Some men have biceps larger than their heads - women have heads again in a different proportion to their bodies, and children, as one might perceive, most often than not, have heads disproportionately larger.

Clothing again alters these proportions.

Keep at it! You have the touch, just got to work on the details. :)

Doing this mandala and pondering on the big bang and diversity at the same time was quite enjoyable:

IMG_0469_zpsfyznciym.jpg

Back