Any good controller settings?

• Thread starter Big Alex
  • 42 comments
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Lately I am struggling to play this game with controllers. It seems the difference between wheel guys and controller guys increased a lot. I am finding a very hard time trying to enter a turn after a long straight. It seems it is all or nothing. Too sensible. Usually either I enter too early or too late. Very difficult to keep a good line with controller. On Pcars 1 it seemed to be easier.

My settings are the latest default settings after patch 4.

Do you have any settings that could make this game more playable with controllers?

Thanks in advance.

I get positive feedback on mine, which I can gladly share:

Code:
Steering Deadzone:       5
Steering Sensitivity:   10
Throttle Deadzone:       2
Throttle Sensitivity:   45
Brake Deadzone:          2
Brake Sensitivity:      45

Speed Sensitivity:      75
Controller Damping:     85

Opposite Lock Help:     ON
(located in the assists options)

I'll offer up mine with reasons for them aswell, but please take into consideration that control settings are / I think a personal thing.
What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Also I'm on the 1X, not sure if it makes a difference compared to PS4 pad users.

Steering Deadzone = 0.

Steering Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much I turn left or right.

Throttle Deadzone = 0.

Throttle Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much throttle to use.

Brake Deadzone = 0.

Brake Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much brake to use.

Clutch Deadzone = 0 - not used.

Clutch Sensitivity = 0 - not used.

Speed Sensitivity = 75 - because it gives me the ability to react at high speed if anything happens in front of me without being to sensitive or unresponsive.

Controller Damping = 0 - because it gives me the ability to flick left or right & counter steer + damping's the devil.

Controller Vibration = 100.

Minimum Shift Time = 0 - because I want to be in full control of when I change gear.

RPM/Gear Display = Yes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Speed Sensitivity = 75 - because it gives me the ability to react at high speed if anything happens in front of me without being to sensitive or unresponsive.
Yeah, I should add that 75 is probably ideal for the Speed Sensitivity setting. 👍 It allows for enough steering for tight, slow corners and enough countersteer to recover from oversteer without being any more sensitive than necessary. A higher setting may be easier to handle when you're not oversteering, but once you're sideways you could be out of luck.

Aside from that, the remaining settings are more a matter of preference. After determining the right Speed Sensitivity, I opted to decrease Steering Sensitivity to improve the accuracy of small-to-medium inputs (it controls the linearity of the X-axis on the analog stick), and I balanced Controller Damping so that it softens quick corrections or course adjustments without slowing the steering too much.

The deadzones just depend on the tolerances on your particular controller. You can check that with the telemetry HUD.

Both Project Cars and Project Cars 2 are made for a wheel. Neither game on the Xbox One has handled well with a variety of classes with a controller, even after a ton of fiddling. A weakness of this franchise, especially when compared to the smooth out-of-the-box handling of games like F1 2017, WRC 7, Forza 7 and Assetto Corsa with a controller.

^ That's neither true from a development/design standpoint nor the experience of playing the game.

With the exception of a few cars that stand out as being troublesome, PCARS2's analog stick steering is more approachable for me than any Gran Turismo or any Codemasters game I've played, except for GT3 I guess. I only tried the open beta for GT Sport, but at that point I have to say it was unplayable. :yuck: I couldn't believe they offered that as a preview. As for the troublesome cars in PCARS2, it's worth noting that the OMSE RX Lite used to be one, before SMS quietly fixed what was apparently an error with that specific car. The others might follow after with future updates.

It's fair to say that so far, SMS has failed to offer suitable controller settings out of the box, and PCARS1 was a tense experience even with the best settings I could manage. And PCARS2 leaves room for improvement.

Id say leasve steering sensitivity with 50 because it gives you perfect linearity.
If its to sensitive for you, you should go to car cetup and increase number in "steering ratio".
You should also increase controller dampening to have smoother reaction.

^ That's neither true from a development/design standpoint nor the experience of playing the game.

With the exception of a few cars that stand out as being troublesome, PCARS2's analog stick steering is more approachable for me than any Gran Turismo or any Codemasters game I've played, except for GT3 I guess. I only tried the open beta for GT Sport, but at that point I have to say it was unplayable. :yuck: I couldn't believe they offered that as a preview. As for the troublesome cars in PCARS2, it's worth noting that the OMSE RX Lite used to be one, before SMS quietly fixed what was apparently an error with that specific car. The others might follow after with future updates.

It's fair to say that so far, SMS has failed to offer suitable controller settings out of the box, and PCARS1 was a tense experience even with the best settings I could manage. And PCARS2 leaves room for improvement.

While I agree about the controller defaults in PC1, for me the defaults in PC2 are pretty much perfect - I haven't changed a thing, or even felt the need to have a bit of a fiddle. Pad settings in driving sims are very subjective though, and clearly you can never please everyone...

While I agree about the controller defaults in PC1, for me the defaults in PC2 are pretty much perfect - I haven't changed a thing, or even felt the need to have a bit of a fiddle. Pad settings in driving sims are very subjective though, and clearly you can never please everyone...

My biggest issue with controller settings with PC 2 is how inconsistent they are from car to car. I found a really nice setup for GT3 and GT4 cars that was sheer crap with open-wheel cars and prototypes. The game doesn't give you the ability to save different profiles for different vehicle classes, so it's a major pain in the butt to find settings that work with each class and be forced to adjust them every time you change classes.

This reminds me of the endless tweaking of .ini files and FFB files for rFactor on PC. Consoles are supposed to be easier than this.

My settings work quite well as a one-size-fits-all solution, allowing me to drift roadcars or rallycross cars with full-lock countersteer, then turn around and drive open-wheel cars or GTs or prototypes smoothly, even going full-tilt on the stick around tight corners without scrubbing the tires. :confused:

Perhaps the difference is that I calibrated my settings in the Toyota GT86, as opposed to a racecar. I've also adopted a somewhat more precise playstyle for this game, a blend of the relaxed quick-tap method and smaller, more careful inputs depending on what is needed.

My settings work quite well as a one-size-fits-all solution, allowing me to drift roadcars or rallycross cars with full-lock countersteer, then turn around and drive open-wheel cars or GTs or prototypes smoothly, even going full-tilt on the stick around tight corners without scrubbing the tires. :confused:

Perhaps the difference is that I calibrated my settings in the Toyota GT86, as opposed to a racecar. I've also adopted a somewhat more precise playstyle for this game, a blend of the relaxed quick-tap method and smaller, more careful inputs depending on what is needed.

Would be very grateful if you shared your settings here. Thanks.

I switched to the Patch 4.0 default setup then use my own settings for the following:

Steering / Throttle / Brake Deadzones = 0
Steering / Throttle / Brake Sensitivity = 50

Both Project Cars and Project Cars 2 are made for a wheel. Neither game on the Xbox One has handled well with a variety of classes with a controller, even after a ton of fiddling. A weakness of this franchise, especially when compared to the smooth out-of-the-box handling of games like F1 2017, WRC 7, Forza 7 and Assetto Corsa with a controller.

Completely agree. I'm currently playing Forza 7 and GT Sport as well as PC2 and holding a smooth line on a long sweeping corner is near impossible in this game. I've tried many controller settings, and in fact ended up tweaking mine to almost what Wolfe has, but if you watch replays, the steering is never smooth, there are always little jerky movements no matter how careful I try to be. Even using the longer sticks on the Xbox Elite controller, which some people say helps, don't do it for me. It is really annoying, especially when you are driving a car that has a tendency to step the rear out when the power kicks in.

After months of struggling I am extremely pleased of the settings I have found on Youtube and I have been using in the last three weeks. I am on PS4.

They have been tested with cars up to GT3 category and work very well with all of them, allowing a very smooth and “soft” driving, both under dry and wet conditions.

Just to clarify I drive with no steering/braking assistance and all driving assists set to authentic.
Opponents skills/aggressivity set to 70.

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 1
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 1
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 1
Clutch Deadzone: 0
Clutch Densitivity: 1
Speed Sensitivity: 90-95
Controller Damping: 100
Controller Vibration: 100
Minimum Shift Time: 0
RPM/Gear Display: Yes

The only parameter to tweak to personal preference is the speed sensitivity.
I currently have it at 93, and I lower it down to 75-80 only for rally races.

I know these settings look like a bit “extreme”, but give a try, for me these settings have been a game changer. Now I can push the cars, and not having them driving “against” me.

@Zeitoss best settings yet for me mate :) I just wish the game steered well out of the box. I really like how Slightly Mad always give you a generous amount of content, but then is usually marred by some quirk or other that stops me sitting and hammering the game. I have to dip in and out as I find it so frustrating at times.

I'll offer up mine with reasons for them aswell, but please take into consideration that control settings are / I think a personal thing.
What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Also I'm on the 1X, not sure if it makes a difference compared to PS4 pad users.

Steering Deadzone = 1 - because I personally need it to keep/get the car straight.

Steering Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much I turn left or right.

Throttle Deadzone = 1 - I've just got OCD.

Throttle Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much throttle to use.

Brake Deadzone = 1 - OCD again.

Brake Sensitivity = 50 - because I prefer to be in full control of how much brake to use.

Clutch Deadzone = 0 - not used.

Clutch Sensitivity = 0 - not used.

Controller Damping = 75 - because it gives me the ability to flick left or right & counter steer without being to sensitive or unresponsive + OCD.

Controller Vibration = 75 - Just OCD.

Minimum Shift Time = 0 - because I want to be in full control of when I change gear.

RPM/Gear Display = Yes - because I want to see my revs & what gear I'm in at any given time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I’m going to try these for Xbox one. Seem amazing.

Thanks I’m going to try these for Xbox one. Seem amazing.
If you find it to sensitive just raise the 3x 75's to 3x 80's instead.

On another note I've noticed that changing these settings in game while racing actually work as opposed to the options stating that you have to return to race central / restart for changes to take effect.

So do a lap & if you don't like em just pause it, change sensitivity & carry on with your race.

If you find it to sensitive just raise the 3x 75's to 3x 80's instead.

On another note I've noticed that changing these settings in game while racing actually work as opposed to the options stating that you have to return to race central / restart for changes to take effect.

So do a lap & if you don't like em just pause it, change sensitivity & carry on with your race.

Thanks. I will try it out soon.

How do i make the steering tighter. I play with all assists off and authentic for all cars. So if I still find it to loss try raising the two settings I have at 75 to 80. Ok I will try this later. I hope it’s supper tight steering that’s what I’m trying to get or close to.

This is my settings now:

Steering deadzone: 1
Steering sensitivity: 50

Throttle deadzone: 1
Throttle sensitivity: 50

Brake deadzone: 1
Break sensitivity: 50

Clotchs at 0

Speed sensitivity: 75
Controller dampening: 75

Controller vibration: 100

Omg omg omg. Playing now so far no need to adjust I think it might be just throttle practice. Wow amazing so far will see as laps go on as I try these settings.

Omg omg omg. Playing now so far no need to adjust I think it might be just throttle practice. Wow amazing so far will see as laps go on as I try these settings.
Ah good mate, yes throttle & brake control are needed with these settings as you can really unbalance the car & cause a spin if not careful. Especially on bumpy tracks.

Remember you can also adjust the steering rack ratio in the car setup as well.

Here's a link of me sort of controlling a Zakspeed capri around Bannockbrae with these settings, while not perfect by any means it was great fun.

Last edited:
@Mr Grumpy I'm curious.....I've just done a series using that same Capri and it was always pulling to the right when you hit the power band, making it hard to stay in a straight line when really accelerating hard. But in your video it looks pretty rock solid while accelerating? You don't seem to be fighting it at all.

@Mr Grumpy I'm curious.....I've just done a series using that same Capri and it was always pulling to the right when you hit the power band, making it hard to stay in a straight line when really accelerating hard. But in your video it looks pretty rock solid while accelerating? You don't seem to be fighting it at all.
Believe me, I was fighting :)

Throttle / finger control, that's all I can say.

I found trying not to hit the power band while in a corner really helped, either ease off the throttle or shift up a gear until you feel stable enough to plant it. If you accelerate over a bump with this beast you're going in a wall.

I absolutely loved this combination, it's right up my street of tense fun :)

Does the PC game work with motion controls and a PS4 controller? I had a good experience with Gran Turismo Sport and motion controls. So if that is an option here would be worth a try. I find motion controls to be much better than traditional controllers, though obviously not as good as a steering wheel.

Back