Any Macross Fans in da house?

Messages
2,336
United States
Los Angeles, CA
Messages
WRBWRXMAX
Messages
Max Archer
I was wondering, we got any Macross fans around here? I'm talking about the japanese original, not the heavily butchered licensing scam that is Robotech. So, any fans check in, and head over to Macrossworld.com!
 
I love Macross (and Robotech for that matter.) and picked up the Macross boxed set from Animeigo last year.
 
I'm not a HARDCORE Macross fan,but I reeeeally do like the series,including Robotech and Gundam Wing ^_^,but I like basically anything about mechs,such as Patlabor or that funny anime called "Metal Skin Panic Maddox 1",that one's good too,hehe,I got it for Christmas last year along with a bunch of other cool anime =D

AE86Driver
 
*glances at the name of the person who started this thread* hey...where does that name look familiar,lol ^_^

AE86Driver
 
Does Macross Plus count? I've seen that and it is awesome. I pretty much like anything with mechs in it also. Patlabor 1 and 2 are awesome anime movies.
 
Macross Plus does have some pretty cool scenes in it ^_^,I got it for Christmas last year,hehe.I like the training scene where Gold is dodging ALL of the missles with his eyes closed =D,I thought that scene was so cool,but anyways...Macross Plus is more along the lines of a comedy/some action/romance..so I believe he is referring to the original Macross,are you not?

AE86Driver

P.S. Macross Plus does rule by the way =D,but I also like the original Macross as well ^_^,hehe
 
I've only seen a hand full of Robotech episodes. Macross is on my "gotta see" list. :) My favorite mech series is Gundam. Nothing beats Gundam!
 
Personally I think Patlabor is the best mech anime. Because they don't overuse them, so basically its a police story with mechs used instead of whatever else they would use. I have Macross Plus and im sure I have macross 7 tapes somewhere and I found some really old robotech videos. Although I really hate the dub on the robotech videos.

Still I like patlabor the most.
 
MistaY - I kinda see where you're comin' from...cause in some mech animes,they just,"okay!let's go!" like every 5 minutes into the anime and just blow some things up in their mech,then go back to the base,ya know,so forth.Patlabor is pretty awsome,I like that scene where that guy has to use his freeze gun or somethin' like that to catch this one guy,and it freezes him as well ^_^,that looks so funny,hehe.

AE86Driver
 
Partial to gundam, but i've seen little of macross, so hard to compare fairly.
 
I havn't seen Macross or Robotech. But i like Gundam:)
 
it's really good but what is the exact difference between Robotech and Macross?
 
well then,you'd probably like Macross or Robotech =D,wouldn't ya say so guys?

AE86Driver
 
Supposedly Robotech was a compilation of either different seasons of Macross or different series.
 
I think this is the way it goes..not too sure,but I believe it is ----

Robotech
Macross
Gundam

AE86Driver
 
Originally posted by AE86Driver
MistaY - I kinda see where you're comin' from...cause in some mech animes,they just,"okay!let's go!" like every 5 minutes into the anime and just blow some things up in their mech,then go back to the base,ya know,so forth.Patlabor is pretty awsome,I like that scene where that guy has to use his freeze gun or somethin' like that to catch this one guy,and it freezes him as well ^_^,that looks so funny,hehe.

AE86Driver

Har har yeah I remember that bit in the first film.
It wasn't a freeze gun, they both fell in the water and Otah (I think?) shot the crazy labours coolant tank, making everything freeze.

Personally I like the second movie the best though.
Has anyone heard of Nadesico? it's a kinda spoof on evangelon and most other mech animes.
 
Originally posted by Talentless
Supposedly Robotech was a compilation of either different seasons of Macross or different series.

Robotech was an americanized version of 3 different (completely unrelated) Japanese series'.
I think they were Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada.
The Macross Saga was the only one that I enjoyed though.
I also loved Macross Plus. Probably the best mini-series around.
 
ummm...don't get me wrong,but I thought Robotech is Japanese?I remember reading about it in an Animerica mag,and it showed the director of Robotech and he was Japanese,and explaining how the series gained so much popularity for it being such an out of date anime (1980 somethin' I believe).oh,and by the way,I believe it was in the 1999 edition,but not for certain =P

AE86Driver
 
listen to AE86 here, he's da smart one ^_^
Robotech is japanese
 
Originally posted by AE86Driver
ummm...don't get me wrong,but I thought Robotech is Japanese?I remember reading about it in an Animerica mag,and it showed the director of Robotech and he was Japanese,and explaining how the series gained so much popularity for it being such an out of date anime (1980 somethin' I believe).oh,and by the way,I believe it was in the 1999 edition,but not for certain =P

AE86Driver

Not exactly. What happened was that Harmony Gold bought the right to 3 different Japanese Anime series ( Super Dimensionsal Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada) because American cartoons run much longer than Japanese series (which are usually 20-30 episodes)
Harmony Gold made some slight (and some not so slight) storyline changes throughout the 3 series and spliced them together to make one giant saga we call Robotech.
As I posted earlier, the Macross saga is available in the original Japanese version (restored to look perfect) from animeigo. And Genesis Climber Mospeada will be available in the original Japanese version this year from ADV films.
 
Originally posted by AE86Driver
riiiight,whatever you say dude :p

AE86Driver

Tom is usually well informed so I belive him. If you can't explain why he is wrong wouldn't it be better to keep quiet instead of attempting to use some form of sarcasm.

This is why people blast you.
 
well,I have proof,I read the WHOLE article about Robotech in my Animerica magazine a long time ago..and if I didn't see that Japanese guy (which was the director/producer) then I wouldn't be saying this.I remember stuff like that,but that's only cause I'm an anime otaku =D

AE86Driver
 
I don't really think you understand the concept of proof, so let me give you an example or two.

1
2, click on "What is it?"

The first one is the official website, you shouldn't really have to browse any further than that, but the second website lays out the information a little better.

Another idea is for you to go out an buy the series on DVD, and actually watch them, all the things I've said can be found right there.
 
eh,I've seen ALL of Robotech,I used to watch it everyday I came home from school on Cartoon Network,but I KNOW for a fact that the Animerica magazine that I was talkin' about had the producer of Robotech giving a really big speech about the series,and I remember this like the back of my hand,cause the article was like 2 pages long and he said that it was such a great hit in Japan that they were thinking about broadcasting it in america,and oh look...we got it on cartoon network.Look,I KNOW what I'm talking about..if I didn't,I wouldn't keep trying to explain this issue to you.I don't mean any of my replies to your posts to be offensive,but I know exactly what I read,cause I myself are a Robotech fan.

AE86Driver
 
Robotech was NOT shown in Japan, Macross was shown. Robotech is the sliced up version of all 3 Macross series that was shown in the US. I've never seen an episode of Macross and even I knew this.
 
eh,whatever,I'm not gonna argue about it.If my scanner worked and I found my old Animerica magazine that has the article that I'm talking about in it,then I WOULD prove it,but I have NO idea where that issue went and like,4 others,they just vanished a few months back,almost a year ago =P.The newest one I've got so far (which isn't that new anymore) is the one talkin' about Armitage the III Dual Matrix

AE86Driver
 
I can't believe this guy is still dening it. :odd:

You most likely read the article incorrectly. Just because it had a Japanese guy in the article doesn't mean the series was made in Japan.

Macross = Japan

Robotech = United States

They are the SAME anime, but Robotech is all 3 Macross series put together and was only showed in the United States.

:banghead:
 
like I said,I'm not gonna argue about it.I know what I read,cause I'm able to keep up with stuff like that,and like I also said before,if I didn't know what I was talking about,then I wouldn't keep trying to explain this to you.I'm not gonna argue about this situation anymore,because I've stated the facts..that is all.

AE86Driver
 
So any proof you might have (which we all know doesn't exist, as the official Robotech website owned by Harmony Gold explains where Robotech comes from.) has magically vanished. (along with a few other issues so that it doesn't sound like such a huge lie.)
Plus you can't remember what issue it was in (which would be acceptable if it weren't for all the other claims you made about being an Anime Otaku, being a fan, remembering it like the back of your hand, keeping up with things etc etc...)
And to top it off (the crescendo if you will) your scanner is broken, so you wouldn't have any means of ever actually supplying proof. (As none of your friends, nor your library, nor your school, nor anyone else in your entire town has one either.)

Here's my favorite part of this whole thread though:
because I've stated the facts..that is all.

I'm still waiting for the first one... :odd:

Please... click my links. Do some research. Earn back some credibility.
 
Back