Any reason to upgrade to PS5 for GT7 (vs PS4 Pro)

• Thread starter moraza
  • 168 comments
I think there will be for sure a difference between PS5 and PS4 Pro.
We will see it then in March 2022...
I rebember even Kaz told in a interview that there will be a difference in GRAPHICS and for sure Loading Times.

I rebember even Kaz told in a interview that there will be a difference in GRAPHICS and for sure Loading Times.
Can't be much more than graphics and loading times, and in online races loading times don't really matter cause you'll have to wait for the racers who are still on PS4...

Differently adjusted LOD bias, higher particle density and higher resolution shadowmaps would seem like the obvious candidates to differentiate the PS5 version from the PS4.

Last edited:
I really hope those are the only differences, and that otherwise, the content (including post-launch support) and game mechanics (e.g. dynamic time/weather) are the same.

We will see it then in March 2022
Don't forget the GT5 delays....that one sticks out the most and the worse to me.

If GT7 delivers, I almost feel like it is the title we were supposed to have gotten with GT5.

I run a PS4 Pro with SSD on a 4k display. GTS loads and looks pretty good to me. It's not the fastest loads like a M.2, but nothing close to as slow as a mechanical drive.

I've just bought a Digital PS5 purely to play GT7 and it'll just sit there gathering dust for the next three months until it comes out because there aren't any Playstation exclusive games that I want to play. Meanwhile I'll continue playing my Xbox Series X and my Switch for all my other gaming needs.

Here in Belgium secondhand ps4 pro's sell for a lot of money (prices up to 300€, even more when extras are added)
Which makes the step up to a ps5 less expensive.
I don't know how that goes in other countries tho

You guys buying a console for one game will forever baffle me.
Why?? I'm not a "gamer", I only like racing. I have a job and a life so I don't have every single day to devote to video game racing. I spent about $500 between a PS4 Pro and GTS for 4 years of entertainment to date, for the amount of hours that I have raced over the last 4 years I think it is a bargain even if I never used my PS4 and Gran Turismo again. What is so confusing about that. I have also done the with PS, PS2, and PS3 along with every GT title to date. I also still have all of my old consoles, games, and hardware if I ever choose to drag them out again.

Why?? I'm not a "gamer", I only like racing. I have a job and a life so I don't have every single day to devote to video game racing. I spent about $500 between a PS4 Pro and GTS for 4 years of entertainment to date, for the amount of hours that I have raced over the last 4 years I think it is a bargain even if I never used my PS4 and Gran Turismo again. What is so confusing about that. I have also done the with PS, PS2, and PS3 along with every GT title to date. I also still have all of my old consoles, games, and hardware if I ever choose to drag them out again.
But there are so many racing games, why wouldn't you give those a try?

"I am only interested about Gran Turismo, and it does bring me fun, maybe one day when I no longer like it, I will try something else."

You can also try to stop having too many questions about other people's decisions.

Last edited:
I try racing games when they are on PS Now or free on PS+ but I never want to spend more than max and hour before returning to GTS. They just hold no allure for me.

And that would surely make it a waste to buy other racing games.

Last edited:
"I am only interested about Gran Turismo, and it does bring me fun, maybe one day when I no longer like it, I will try something else."

You can also try to stop having too many questions about other people's decisions.
I'm just having a conversation, this is a forum after all. Again, it's not like this is keeping me awake at night or anything.
I try racing games when they are on PS Now or free on PS+ but I never want to spend more than max and hour before returning to GTS. They just hold no allure for me.

Any particular reason why? The physics, the style?

I'm just having a conversation, this is a forum after all. Again, it's not like this is keeping me awake at night or anything.

Any particular reason why? The physics, the style?
It just doesn't catch me. And nothing has the instant playability against humans as GTS

Deleted

Last edited:
It baffles me because people are buying pretty expensive hardware and purposely choosing to straight up ignore thousands of options for entertainment from that hardware. I obviously understand people buying a bunch of games then later sticking mostly with their favourite, but there are people on this forum who have said they bought PS consoles and GT games, and nothing else. Ever. Never even tried them. I personally find that odd, why you wouldn't at least try some other options, at least in the same genre as the game you like?

But like I said, it was just a throwaway comment as I mistakenly misremembered syntex as being one of those people. It's not some big wonderment in my life keeping me awake every night.
Is it really that baffling though? There’s people who spend 10s of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars building full replica sim cockpits for a game like DCS world….and it’s the only game they play.

For a sim as complex and comprehensive as DCS, it’s not surprising that someone would play one game only, despite DCS requiring a PC that could run any number of other games.

Three reasons, at least.
  1. Better visuals
  2. Faster loading times
  3. DualSense is amazing
I'm playing with a wheel, on an "old" 1080p projector, so I guess I will probably stick on my classic ps4, unless the visual gap is very noticeable (which I hope, as being impressed by new gen graphics is a great feeling :)). We'll have to wait for the release and comparison videos on youtube to find out :cool:

Also, I would probably rather buy a wheel than a ps5 if I had to choose where to spend my money for GT (but of course everyone has different needs and a wheel setup takes quite a lot of space / time to be installed/removed...)

A better PSVR support on PS5 (like full races with 16 cars) would be a game changer though, but we have no idea of potential VR features for GT7 ?

Last edited:
Afaik, beyond a vague tease there's nothing known about a new VR headset from Sony and the current one is way long in the tooth. Hard to imagine VR being more than an afterthought at this time due to the timing. When GTS came out VR on Playstation was a rather new trendy thing after all.

Purely from a pad users prospective, the dual sense haptic feed back may just be the deciding factor for me whether to get the PS5 or stick with PS4. Honestly it sounds great. Even the DS4 was an improvement from the DS3. Recently doing a leisure comparison between the two pads, playing GT games on the PS3 DS3 lacks a lot of feeling. I had no idea where I was with the car or what it wanted to do save through visual aids and memory.(and I loved the DS3 for being the first PS pad to properly utilize the L3 button for steering for the GT franchise) It made me realise that perhaps my driving style changed in that, there was greater emphasis on remembering as apposed to feeling what to do on the DS3. (If that makes sense?) You want a good balance of both I reckon, which is what a wheel can afford you, less guess work= better consistency.
While that hasn't changed dramatically on the DS4, the extra vibrations, and the moderately improved sensitivity on the L3 button I feel has helped quite significantly. My performance has improved a lot on GTS. I suppose that's why I enjoyed driving in GTS, which has led to tens of thousands of virtual driving miles, the most I've ever done on any GT game. Prior to that it was GT5, so I'm noticing a pattern, and I think the evolution of the game pad benevolently contributes.

The improved loading times and better visuals, while awesome, don't really justify the purchasing of a PS5 for me. However If the DS5 can aid me better in a practical way, even just a little bit, I am highly likely to consider purchasing one.

I also understand that for players who have used a wheel from the PS3 era or even earlier to present, probably won't really see the significance behind this.

I think for only GT7 it's not worth it, but if you have any interest in other games I would say that it is worth it. I sold my PS4 Pro for $385+60 shipping so I'm not too sure it's even worth keeping the PS4, and mostly becase the PS5 can do everything the same.

I think for only GT7 it's not worth it, but if you have any interest in other games I would say that it is worth it. I sold my PS4 Pro for $385+60 shipping so I'm not too sure it's even worth keeping the PS4, and mostly becase the PS5 can do everything the same.
Weather or not it's worth it for one game is a totally subjective call, one that you, and I, can only make for our selves.

I only play GTS on my PS4. My kids play other things on it, as Fortnite etc, but I only play GTS.
Kidosprime says this:
Time driven52 days, 6 hours, 51 min and 56 s. (Main account only)

Now, would it be better value for money if that time where spent on 10 different games? If so, then why?
I have a finite gaming time, the value of the console is in my opinion not determined by the number of games I play but by the Smiles per miles.
So even with the small (very small) difference for GT7 between the PS4 and the PS5 it's still worth it .
If you divide the cost of the PS4 and the game combined by the numbers of hours played you end up on something like 30 cents.
Now that's cheap entertainment!

Last edited:
I think for only GT7 it's not worth it, but if you have any interest in other games I would say that it is worth it.
It's worth it just having 1 game on PS5 like GT7 because that's the only game I want to play, and if I buy other PS5 games on that console I never get a chance to play them, once GT7 comes out.
So if I buy other racing and non racing games for PS5, when do I get the time to play some of them other games if GT7 is the one I play in my Sim for a long period ?.

Last edited:

People can do whatever they like. If people like only vanilla ice cream, and will only eat vanilla ice cream for dessert then that's absolutely a valid choice.

On the other hand, asking if they've ever considered trying another flavour of ice cream seems like a reasonable question too. It doesn't mean that you have to give up your favourite, but if you like vanilla ice cream enough to eat it every time you have dessert it seems a little odd that you would never try anything different. Or even that you would wait until you were bored with your vanilla ice cream before trying anything else. What if it turned out that apple pie was just freaking amazing and you could have spent all this time eating it?
Is it really that baffling though? There’s people who spend 10s of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars building full replica sim cockpits for a game like DCS world….and it’s the only game they play.

For a sim as complex and comprehensive as DCS, it’s not surprising that someone would play one game only, despite DCS requiring a PC that could run any number of other games.
It would be like someone doing that and then saying that they've never tried any other flight sim. Everyone I've met that's hardcore into DCS has at least tried MS Flight Sim and probably dabbled with other stuff like BMS or IL-2. Nobody gets thousands of dollars deep into DCS without trying a few things, if only because if you're already buying modules for DCS buying some cheap games on Steam is no different.

Having one main game is not terribly weird. Playing only one game after having tried several isn't very strange. Having only one game is a bit odd, and the more you've invested in that one game the odder is becomes that you've never tried anything else.

But that's the answer, right? You do play multiple games, you just only buy the ones that you feel you'll get value out of. Which so far is only one.

That's not odd. But that's also not quite buying a console for one game. You play racing games, and you only keep playing the ones that are fun. That's how it works for the vast majority of us, it's just that your list of "racing games that are fun" is a bit shorter than most.
Time. I just don't have a lot of extra time do start another game. I can't just dabble in a racing game, I have to get as good as I can which is all time consuming for me.
Totally understandable. It's an unusual take, but I can totally understand someone not playing something because they know they don't have the time to dedicate to playing it the way they would want to even if they liked it.

Personally, I find the skills for racing games to be very transferable and that practising in multiple games tends to get me better faster than just grinding a single game, but I know that I also learn skills in a bit of an odd way and that it's not necessarily for everyone to bounce between games regularly.

Have a PS4 Pro (that I disappointingly picked up for GTS, oof). I won't be upgrading to a PS5.

I love Gran Turismo, I've driven 80,000kms between GT5 and GT6, I haven't got my monies worth on my PS4 Pro and $750AUD (if I'm lucky and quick) + $110 for the PS5 version, nu-uh, that's pretty silly.

If I had a PS5 for multiple games, no question, the PS5 version will be superior, however in my situation what I'm really going to miss will be.

120fps (has this even been confirmed? I think so)
Loading times
Smoother 4K performance
Controller upgrades which I wouldn't care about if using a wheel

That's not $770 worth to me (PS4 version is $90 vs PS5 at $110, $155 for 25th Anniversary edition $45 of DLC!? c'mon).

Besides, PS5s won't be expensive forever, given how early into the lifecycle GT7 is launching, I will probably wait for GT8 and a PS5 slim/pro.

100% better resolution, load times and dual sense support, possible more stable frames, hypothetical psvr2 support

Last edited:
Back