Anyone else thinks that B-Spec is AWESOME?

  • Thread starter Thread starter daspianist
  • 66 comments
  • 6,393 views
I like b-spec as a money maker while I'm on the computer or doing other things.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all those complaints I'm seeing in various threads about the supposed inept "Bobs", because as long as I put my drivers in sufficiently overpowered cars (usually 100-200+ bhp more than the other AI drivers, depending on the race type and track) they can pretty much take care of themselves and win races without any input from me.
And after they hit level 8 or so (I've got one at level 11, one at 9 and one at 2) they do so with barely any mistakes (spins, collisions or even just a brief loss of control), no matter if they are in a McLaren F1, an 800+ bhp Audi R8 V10, that supposedly tricky Lambo LP640 or an American muscle car I'm having a lot more trouble wrestling around corners than "Bob" is.

The only problem with b-spec drivers is that they do usually seem unable to compete if you put them on a level field with the rest of the AI drivers. They are too cautious with their braking and acceleration, so they need those extra powerful cars - at least if you plan on leaving them alone without any command input from you.
But since I just view them as an extra income source, I don't really care all that much that I have to "cheat". Hell, with the few restrictions in many events I regularly jump into an overpowered car myself in a-spec races, if I want a quick and guaranteed win.
 
See I think the level field thing kinda works really. The best way to increase the mental strength of bob is to put him in an equal powered car were there will be a lot of battling for position. He may not win but he earns more experience than if he's constantly off the front from the first corner. Best training race I've found so far is the Roadster NR-A race. At low levels the driver runs out of strength/ mental by half race distance and by pushing till the end he levels quickly and you get good exp in the process.
 
Today is December 1st, how long before this so called "early December" update? My best guess probably January if we go by "Polyphony Digital Standard Time"

Heh, heh, heh!

I actually like B-Spec racing too.
Bob was a pain early on, but once he hit level 10, he seems to have gotten better.
How many drivers do you really need to setup?
I have a Bob Jr. who is currently a level 8.
It says I can create a Bob III but is there any really reason? Are there races that will require more than 2 drivers?
 
is there a difference in experience and/or stats gained with how you command bob during races? like what drgarbanzo is saying..?


also have you guys noticed higher XP for bob when his fatigue is at blue? or maybe it's just a placebo i'm having :P
 
I'm loving B-Spec. I got J.Lopez driving my black Camaro Z28.
 
I really like B-Spec. I honestly have not driven an A-Spec race yet at all and completed 14 of the B-Spec events already. It could be tweaked here and there. I would like my driver to remain at a consistent pace if I tell him to instead of cooling off if he has a big lead. I've done Special Events, Licenses, and other things in A-Spec with my wheel, and I use B-Spec late when I want to keep noise to a minimum. It's gotten me quite a bit of credits and some useful cars. I also like trying to challenge my driver and my managing ability by giving them average or underpowered cars. I won the Classic Muscle challenge (forget the actual name) with a '69 Stingray Convertible that was probably 35-70 HP down on the rest of the field. That was a pretty good feeling. But I'll go overpowered on events I've already won to get the credits.
 
I've seen some pretty exciting races in B-Spec. I had one race at madrid where my driver slowly worked his way up to second but then spun out somehow (wasn't watching at the time) and was back at 7. I started watching the race as he was slowly working his way back up the field. His mental strength and strength were completely sapped and he was power sliding through every corner, just barely keeping the car from spinning. Every corner I was asking myself if this was the corner he was going to spin out. But he didn't. On the last lap he worked himself up to second and was slowly catching up to first place. He ended up passing the last guy on the final straight to take victory. It was pretty exciting for a race that I wasn't even driving.
 
I run 2 x ps3's one with b-spec on second account b-spec 400k per day just on second ps3 build car...give to friend i.e 1st ps3 on main account great way too whore cash for cars you don't want to waste time spending money on, having 2x chrome line and stealth packs also helps mr b-spec along...

LOL you know your bad when you get your wife to run b-spec races while your out with the boys hahaha...I love my wife ;)
and yes this apart from i.e not having to drop 2.6m on a zonda r is why I love b-spec hehehe
 
In all honesty, I have been playing B Spec more than I thought I would, mainly due to the fact that I have a 1 year old and it's difficult to break out my G25 when he is around, so thats when I just hop on and rank up in B. Wish there was a speed up function available, but overall it's been cool so far.

I also noticed that he (G. Costa) sometimes does better when you give him less instructions, keeps him less stressed.
 
What is the least amount of drivers you can create to clear B spec mode?
I have 2 drivers, but will I need more for the "extreme series" races?

Also, if you share your driver on line, will his stats go up?
 
Can anyone tell me how the get more drivers than only one?

You get one extra driver at every fifth level, you start out with one, at level 5 you can get another, at level ten a third, and level 15 a fourth. I'm level 20 in B-Spec atm so can hold 5.

You manage your drivers from the My Home screen, select drivers there. In this next menu you can choose drivers, then retire them, then hire another and so on.

My Bob just got me the 280 RS :D
 
All right, perfect. Thanks for the fast reply, I already thought it would be something like that.
 
I've seen some pretty exciting races in B-Spec. I had one race at madrid where my driver slowly worked his way up to second but then spun out somehow (wasn't watching at the time) and was back at 7. I started watching the race as he was slowly working his way back up the field. His mental strength and strength were completely sapped and he was power sliding through every corner, just barely keeping the car from spinning. Every corner I was asking myself if this was the corner he was going to spin out. But he didn't. On the last lap he worked himself up to second and was slowly catching up to first place. He ended up passing the last guy on the final straight to take victory. It was pretty exciting for a race that I wasn't even driving.

This is awesome. 👍

Another thing that I'm liking about B-spec (comparing to GT4) is Bob now gets seperate events than we do, which means it's no longer possible for cheaters to use B-spec to do our races for us. Thanks PD.
 
The B-spec is fairly interesting and good to level up while doing chores around the house,but what bugs me is that you can't fast rewind him like in GT4 . The races for B-spec are longer and really really boring ,but I guess that is the price I have to pay for the awesome rewards later .
 
I'm enjoying b-spec mode as well. I just wish there was some documentation as to how what I'm doing is affecting the driver on the course and in training him. Is pace up/down or maintain relative to the car in front of you or to his own speed? Is hot or cold driver temperament relative to how quickly he's going to change his attitude during the race, where he'll level off to or maybe adjust how far I can push him into the red during a race before he starts making lots of mistakes? There is no explanation I've seen for how it really works, just based of GT4 b-spec mode, that I never really played. =)

Couple things I have noticed. You seem to get more experience points racing a car that is inline with the expected opponents and more experience points for racing in the field rather then at the front the entire time. My first driver, I just over powered his vehicle and let him run rampant ignoring him for free money. My 2nd driver, I've been more hands on, controlling him during the race, gradually upgrading his car to the point where he could win if he drives well but not because his car is so much better then everyone. He seems to be becoming a much better driver, and is leveling faster then my first driver.

Interestingly, I have an AlphaRomeo 147 tuned to 232hp. Barely able to win the beginner Euro hot hatch races against opponents that should have topped out about 220hp. I gradually upgraded his car, started at 200hp and raced it many times. After finally getting golds, I took that car into Festival Italia which has tunes topping about around 265hp for the expected cars. That same 232hp 147 absolutely destroyed the competition on those two tracks.

For both drivers, it seems trying to keep their pace(blue <> red gauge) about 3/4th of the way into red translates into the best speed vs mistakes. Timing your commands can make a difference. I've found pace down as he's going into tricky cornering sections keeps him from walling/spinning especially when he's all bothered and fighting for position. Properly issue an overtake command when it can be taken advantage looks like it helps as well. Such as coming into a corner before a long straight, he'll try and carry more speed out of the corner and beat the other car to the next corner.

I've yet to run out of physical strength or even seen mental strength run down. But they've only been running amateur/beginner events so far.
 
Couple things I have noticed. You seem to get more experience points racing a car that is inline with the expected opponents and more experience points for racing in the field rather then at the front the entire time. My first driver, I just over powered his vehicle and let him run rampant ignoring him for free money. My 2nd driver, I've been more hands on, controlling him during the race, gradually upgrading his car to the point where he could win if he drives well but not because his car is so much better then everyone. He seems to be becoming a much better driver, and is leveling faster then my first driver.

Interestingly, I have an AlphaRomeo 147 tuned to 232hp. Barely able to win the beginner Euro hot hatch races against opponents that should have topped out about 220hp. I gradually upgraded his car, started at 200hp and raced it many times. After finally getting golds, I took that car into Festival Italia which has tunes topping about around 265hp for the expected cars. That same 232hp 147 absolutely destroyed the competition on those two tracks.

For both drivers, it seems trying to keep their pace(blue <> red gauge) about 3/4th of the way into red translates into the best speed vs mistakes. Timing your commands can make a difference. I've found pace down as he's going into tricky cornering sections keeps him from walling/spinning especially when he's all bothered and fighting for position. Properly issue an overtake command when it can be taken advantage looks like it helps as well. Such as coming into a corner before a long straight, he'll try and carry more speed out of the corner and beat the other car to the next corner.

I've yet to run out of physical strength or even seen mental strength run down. But they've only been running amateur/beginner events so far.


Thanks for the very informative write up! The experience point and 3/4 meter parts are really great insights that I haven't discovered yet. I am also curious as to how my "powerleveled" B-Spec Bob will now perform given that he now has a significant number of races under his lap - I just hope that he doesn't burn out (as noted on Polyphony Digital's bit on b-spec), and I have to retire him..

I am curious as to how your driver will progress as he competes in the higher level events - keep us updated!
 
Thanks for the very informative write up! The experience point and 3/4 meter parts are really great insights that I haven't discovered yet. I am also curious as to how my "powerleveled" B-Spec Bob will now perform given that he now has a significant number of races under his lap - I just hope that he doesn't burn out (as noted on Polyphony Digital's bit on b-spec), and I have to retire him..

I am curious as to how your driver will progress as he competes in the higher level events - keep us updated!

Thanks, I could be completely wrong though. It's just what I have noticed, or think I have noticed. =) I was hoping someone would start a b-spec thread with an OP that updates as we figure this mode out.
 
I do think its pretty cool, I am currently trying to fashion a driver I can later rely on if there are any endurance style races.

So can someone explain to me how to "fashion a driver" to be good for a particular type of race....?

Does it depend on what commands you give him during the race, or am i still missing something?


-thanks in advance
 
There were times that I swear Bob was on drugs or depressed - he's even stopped in a race once in the dead of the road.

Anyways.. the good thing is I got my FUURRRAIII and working to get my Zonda :)

i know!!! when he spins out, he sits there until all the cars pass him before he reverses to get back on track
 
Last night when the beer started to hamper my driving I decided to try B-Spec for the first time. I think this could come in handy now. This game gives you a designated driver, COOL!
 
steam sale today

Keep forgetting to check for Steam sales...

I've been playing B-Spec a lot tonight because I've been playing A-Spec all day. Just got a Furai and unlocked the second driver slot, on my 5th random name my girlfriend's surname and initial popped up, I laughed. She didn't understand.

It's ok, I mean, it's infuriating if you won a race with a standard car then hand it over to your Bob and he can't drive to save his life, slamming on the brakes and accelerator at random intervals and being overly polite to other drivers, which is why I'm not saving money as much as I'd hoped as I have to keep tuning cars for him to use. He's useless, but there are some prizes which are so very worth all the boredom, the Furai, Zonda R, AEM S2000, F40 and a few others, for example.
 
I am about to retract my opinion that B-spec is awesome.. :/

I gave Bob a Furai, then a souped up Veyron, and finally the LP670 - all to no avail. He would break to about 150 on the "corners" in Daytona (it was one of the Professional series races), and would at best get a 4th or 5th place with heavy guidance from me. Really disgraceful how he's programmed...
 
I was frustrated at first because they drive like idiots, but after a while they start getting better and things are awesome. Can't wait for endurance races where I get to use the whole racing team.
 
Gt4 is 10 times better. you could go through the game, and when you wanted to use bspec for an indurance, you could. Now you have to go through the hole game in bspec to unlock the indurance races. What are these people thinking. An amazing driving driving sim rapped up in the most unplayable game ever.
 
I just got my best b-spec driver started on the level 14 GT World Championship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll have won a shiny new Zonda R for me once he's through the five races :).
So far he's well ahead of the pack in the Mazda Furai Concept at Circuit de la Sarthe.
 
B-Spec is awesome! I finally figured out how it all works out.

All you have to do is to keep the bar in the middle. If the driver is hot, he is likely to do more mistakes. If he is cold, he will get complacent and slow down.

So... the trick is to keep the bar in the middle. So that your bob is at it's best:dopey:.

Pace down if your driver is getting hot, pace up if your driver is getting cold.
After you reach the middle of the bar, just keep spamming maintain pace
.

That only applies when you are at first place.

When you are trying to overtake an opponent, it is better to make your driver slightly hot. About 30% to the right from the middle of the bar. When you are behind someone, order your bob to overtake sometimes it will overtake :) and sometimes it will stay behind the opponent's tail braking (even when there's a big wide space to overtake the opponent :grumpy:)

When your wheels are starting to get worn out, it is better to make your driver slightly cold by pacing down, so that he will less likely slip.

During the initial selection of your driver, you can choose whether his personality is hot or cold. If it is hot, then when your bob is in first place, his bar will increase. Vice versa.

That should cover most of B - Spec mode :)

As for strength and mental strength, it will increase as you level up your driver.
 
now iam level 20 with 2 b-spec drivers ;)
got a nice replay of my awesome driver, at first i thought b spec sucks, but ... level up over level up he improved hard, so i love this :D
 
Back