Anyone got any guess what PD was doing for 5 years?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 54 comments
  • 3,241 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
932
Messages
Chicano3000X
Messages
Chicano3000
Some say it was cuz of gtpsp or having to implement 3D and 1080i.

Overall do you blame Sony themselves, or does the fault truly rest on PD themselves?
 
I blame Sony for everything. I might be wrong, but damn does it save time.
 
PD are hell bent on perfection, and they tried to over complicate menu screen which increased the loading times.
The didn't spend enough times on making GT5 into a user friendly or long game.
But it's great that we're getting regular updates.
 
If PD was given their own way, we'd never see GT5 released, I'm seriously thinking that Sony told them at one point: "That's enough work, release this game now."

Overall they tried to pack too much into GT5, as a PS3 game.

Anyways, there are countless threads on this already.
 
PD are hell bent on perfection, and they tried to over complicate menu screen which increased the loading times.
The didn't spend enough times on making GT5 into a user friendly or long game.
But it's great that we're getting regular updates.

Dont they have seperate departments for this? How many people work at PD anyways?
 
Dont they have seperate departments for this? How many people work at PD anyways?

I read somewhere that PD only has 60 people or something.
 
It's the even numbered games that will become the classics. GT < GT2, GT3 < GT4, etc. GT6 should be much better, especially now that PD knows what it takes to screw the pooch on releases.

Waiting so long after the PS3 was introduced didn't help.

It'll be interesting to see how long they support GT5 before they drop everything to work on GT6, or if GT6 will be on the PS4.

Either way, it really doesn't matter who you blame if you vote with your wallet.
 
If PD was given their own way, we'd never see GT5 released, I'm seriously thinking that Sony told them at one point: "That's enough work, release this game now."

Overall they tried to pack too much into GT5, as a PS3 game.

Anyways, there are countless threads on this already.

Guess I'm just getting alittle disappointed in the fact that I am leveling pretty quickly, and I have to try to take my time with the game because it's so damn short.
 
They were saving money to buy 350 Skylines to include in the game.. Unfortunately they only had enough for 100.
 
It's the even numbered games that will become the classics. GT < GT2, GT3 < GT4, etc. GT6 should be much better, especially now that PD knows what it takes to screw the pooch on releases.

Waiting so long after the PS3 was introduced didn't help.

It'll be interesting to see how long they support GT5 before they drop everything to work on GT6, or if GT6 will be on the PS4.

Either way, it really doesn't matter who you blame if you vote with your wallet.

true. I still love GT5.
GT4 was actually more of a disappointment because it's online was canned and it became more of an expansion pack of GT3.
 
I blame Sony for everything. I might be wrong, but damn does it save time.

Not to mention loyalty to Kaz and PD. :)

Considering the night/day difference between GT5 and prior GTs, there has to be some reason for it.

Sony, having taken over PD is the most likely suspect.
 
true. I still love GT5.
GT4 was actually more of a disappointment because it's online was canned and it became more of an expansion pack of GT3.

I didn't even know about GT4 until the day it came out. A co-worker asked to leave early to run next door and pick up his copy. Luckily, I was able to shell out the cash and had him pick up my copy too.

Then I lost about 3 years of my life in front of the TV. In hindsight, it helped me:

A) not have kids (too busy with GT4)
B) not join a gang (who's got time for that?)
C) learn the fun of throttle induced oversteer on icy roads
D) avoid STDs (no time, busy driving!)
E) learn to avoid split second accidents on the road ahead (twice. true story)

PD can have those years, I don't want 'em. I loved GT4, and now look forward to more time wasted in front of the TV... cept now I got a wife and daughter.

...if only I could trade them for a Lamborghini Muira.... any takers?
 
i blame you, for starting this thread. :lol:
 
Wait, what are we blaming people for? I'm confused.
 
i blame you, for starting this thread. :lol:

So PD saw the future, saw my thread, and everyone collapsed into a fetal position for 4 years because of an unbearable truth until Sony came and kicked them into action about a year and a half before release.
 
I'm seriously thinking that Sony told them at one point: "That's enough work, release this game now."
I think you're right. And right at the end, they'd set another new release date. Suddenly, before that release date, they said "next Tuesday!" or something like that. It sounded to me like somebody higher up at Sony got very upset, and said "Do it now, by God."

But what were they doing for 5 years? Quite a bit -- that was a monumental project. From where we sit, it's hard to see all the tasks involved with porting all the cars over from GT4, the process development for premium cars, the issues involved with online racing, the restructuring/reprogramming of a physics engine...this is all very hard stuff.
 
I blame PD for the economic crisis.
 
So PD saw the future, saw my thread, and everyone collapsed into a fetal position for 4 years because of an unbearable truth until Sony came and kicked them into action about a year and a half before release.

This made my day:tup::lol:
 
Kaz was too busy racing and talking out his rear about 1000 cars.


Considering GT5 is so far from perfection, I don't think we can say it was because of his perfectionism.
 
Most of the time was put into the PSP.
 
Maybe they should hang out at Turn 10 studios and learn how to release a solid game every 2 years or so.
 
for last 5 years PD have been drawing their cars pixel by pixel.
 
Even though I really like GT5, I get the sense that the franchise is now more about style than substance. Ever since GT3 they've been trying to get ultraperfect photorealistic graphics, while the GT mode hasn't really evolved at all since GT2 (can't speak for GT1 as I never played it). Heck, in GT5 its gone backwards. And I'm not confident that things will change for GT6. I'm expecting that it'll be just a few more premium cars, a few more tracks, more races, a couple fancy game modes here and there, and that'll be it. Nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary. And it'll all take another 4 years to make, with most of that time spent on graphics.

Also I don't understand their preoccupation with B-Spec. Unless PD is aiming to make B-Spec a comprehensive driver management sim (i.e. Football Manager, but with drivers), I think they should drop it. I'm sure most people would rather spend their time driving the car themselves.

At least they got the physics (mostly) right. I love driving, so that's what keeps me coming back. 👍
 
Hey have you heard of Wirth's law "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster".

In other words it is a battle to maintain the balance between the hardware and software. You increase the performance of the hardware but it never seems to be good enough to handle the software. I think PD was probably caught up in this conundrum trying to see how much they could get out of the hardware.

That brings to mind Moore's law where the hardware is being improved at a fast rate but take into account Wirth's law and you now have what they call bloat where the software moves more rapidly and the hardware cannot keep up.

Whatever ... The conflict continues :indiff:
 
So PD saw the future, saw my thread, and everyone collapsed into a fetal position for 4 years because of an unbearable truth until Sony came and kicked them into action about a year and a half before release.

If you want a game released once a year, go play need for speed. It takes more time and dedication to make a GT game.
 
I think you're right. And right at the end, they'd set another new release date. Suddenly, before that release date, they said "next Tuesday!" or something like that. It sounded to me like somebody higher up at Sony got very upset, and said "Do it now, by God."

But what were they doing for 5 years? Quite a bit -- that was a monumental project. From where we sit, it's hard to see all the tasks involved with porting all the cars over from GT4, the process development for premium cars, the issues involved with online racing, the restructuring/reprogramming of a physics engine...this is all very hard stuff.

Many other companies with less money and fewer staff have done far more in that allotted timeframe.

What they've given us shouldn't have taken more than a few years to accomplish. Certainly not 5+. And unfortunately, it looks like there's still a few years worth of work at their speed to make it the game they claimed it would be.
 
If you want a game released once a year, go play need for speed. It takes more time and dedication to make a GT game.

Once a year is bad. 5 years and still incomplete, just as bad.

But the game itself is not bad. But damn, it's really getting to be so short. I still love GT. But if I were PD, I'd be crapping bricks wondering what the competition has up their sleeve and are ready to deliver something amazing and in such a short time span aswell.
 
"Anyone got any guess what PD was doing for 5 years?"

Well, we know perfectly what PD was NOT doing for 5 years... :grumpy:
 
Once a year is bad. 5 years and still incomplete, just as bad.

But the game itself is not bad. But damn, it's really getting to be so short. I still love GT. But if I were PD, I'd be crapping bricks wondering what the competition has up their sleeve and are ready to deliver something amazing and in such a short time span aswell.

Who says it's incomplete? You? Seems like a complete game to me. Features that were left out don't make a game incomplete. Don't worry so much about leveling up, and enjoy the game the way it's mean to be enjoyed. Just drive the cars...
 
Kaz: OMG! Turn10 has us by the 🤬! We'll never make it!

Co Worker: Dont worry man! We can do this!

Kaz: You really think so? How can you be sure?

Co Worker: We will deliver GT5, because we have to!



4 years later..


Kaz: Oh crap, all we did was exercise..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back