Lately I've been playing Forza Motorsport 6 quite a bit. One of the most annoying things to me has been AI - they are maniacs. They crash a lot and do stupid mistakes that look like are done intentionally. You can however play the game a bit differently which makes racing with AI quite entertaining. Well, at least to me.
Here are my tips:
- Start from a last place if you can. Use mod that puts you in the back of the grid if you have one. I use "Long Shot" which also disables rewinds.
- Starting last is key to survive the beginning of the race without contact. Few first corners is where the most carnage occurs. It's a lot like playing online. For first few corners definitely stay in the back, the AI cars will become a bit more separated which will make for better racing later.
- Avoid contact by all means, apparently this makes the AI adapt and drive less dirty but I'm not sure. I still try to drive as clean as I possibly can. If you play in Free Play, make your races last around 15 to 20 minutes so you can take your time with overtakes. Don't go too high with difficulty. I find overtaking AIs without contact to be quite fun because they may block you quite a bit and are unpredictable. I usually restart the race if I hit an AI car, this will not be for everyone but it makes for some intense racing as you try your best to keep it clean.
- NEVER trust the AI. Don't stick behind them for too long, they may brake at weirdest moment, don't get too close. ALWAYS leave some space. Stay aware to avoid sudden crashes.
- Avoiding crazy AIs can be part of fun. Keep track of the arrows around and if AI divebombs you, let them pass. You'll catch them later.
- Just enjoy the race even if you don't win! I sometimes moved only few places from the start to the finish but I wasn't mad because the racing was actually... fun. In a weird way but somehow, someway I was having fun. Taking LMP cars around Alps with those crazy AIs around you can really get your adrenaline pumping. You feel like some kind of racing superhero as you avoid the crashes and get those clean overtakes.
That game may never ever replace sim racing titles I enjoy on PC but it can honestly be interesting to enjoy every once in a while.