• 14 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayOTT

(Banned)
Australia
Australia
Ott2-gt
I've been told in the past that when you want to appeal a penalty decision, you should try and contact the site owner. Yet ever since the penalty that put me over the ban limit for 10 months, I've been trying to lodge my appeal through the contact us page, and for this entire time I have not received a response, not even a simple "we reject your appeal". So I'm left with no choice but to break protocol and appeal here in the hopes that I might finally get a response. Because even if I'm no longer banned, I still want the decision retroactively reviewed. So, to explain why I want to appeal in the calmest way possible;

I was penalized for disagreeing with a moderator. Whilst I understand that I was being confrontational, merely disagreeing with someone's personal views or interpretation of my words does not constitute abusive and/or hateful behavior. If it did, then most users of this site would have to be banned under that rule. Therefore, I wish for my 20 point penalty on March 2, 2020 to be thoroughly reviewed by someone other than the moderator who penalized me.

I only reply to appeals if I need more information or if the user's situation will be changing.

Almost every disciplinary action (and perceived inaction) by a moderator results in a complaint to me. I've found that responding to or explaining those actions just invites the other party to dig in their heels and argue — usually in a not-very-polite way — and it just wastes everyone's time. I do closely monitor moderator's actions and read all of the messages, but I only respond if necessary.

I've been told in the past that when you want to appeal a penalty decision, you should try and contact the site owner. Yet ever since the penalty that put me over the ban limit for 10 months, I've been trying to lodge my appeal through the contact us page, and for this entire time I have not received a response, not even a simple "we reject your appeal". So I'm left with no choice but to break protocol and appeal here in the hopes that I might finally get a response. Because even if I'm no longer banned, I still want the decision retroactively reviewed. So, to explain why I want to appeal in the calmest way possible;

I was penalized for disagreeing with a moderator. Whilst I understand that I was being confrontational, merely disagreeing with someone's personal views or interpretation of my words does not constitute abusive and/or hateful behavior. If it did, then most users of this site would have to be banned under that rule. Therefore, I wish for my 20 point penalty on March 2, 2020 to be thoroughly reviewed by someone other than the moderator who penalized me.

You are damn right it doesn't seem fair!

I have a friend who also had recently appealed a punishment he received years ago. The callous Interludes or as he was called in his final days Prisoner Monkeys being the judge, jury and executioner. He has been walking on eggshells for ten years now. He is so afraid to be an active member on the forums because of his past punishment that he refrains from posting most of the time. A game, that his now passed grand father gifted him as a young lad and inspired motor racing with in him, is so hard to enjoy on the forum that bares its name.

The interesting thing is the same former mod was named most opinionated member circa 2017 (?). If mods and former mods can be so opinionated that they're awarded for it by the community, Why not members of equal measure? Or even a tad less? Are members and staff not suppose to interact and have differing views so long as they don't break AUP/Tos? Is this not a community of difference and people who come together for a general similar like and enjoyment? I would hope this inclusive community is just that and not some authoritarian regime.

I think with some modicum of empathy from the owner and his cabal, can members not mature and bury their pasts infractions and inactions? Or must they carry the scars of a bad day forever like some criminal? I would hope so and await to see where this goes!

Last edited:

Mate, it's just an internet forum - it's not real, so stop worrying about it. Suck it up and move on. Arguing about it will get you nowhere, and honestly if a simple forum warning/infraction is driving you nuts then you've got a whole lot of bigger problems.

I only reply to appeals if I need more information or if the user's situation will be changing.
You have to be more willing to answer every appeal that comes your way, even if it's a simple "I reject your appeal". That provides the complainer with closure. By not providing this closure, you've allowed this issue to simmer in my head the entire time, and in the process negatively impacted my perception of how this website is run.

EDIT: If you are upholding the decision to penalize me, I still want to dispute the severity of the charge. The usual penalty for "Inappropiate Behaviour" is 10 points, not 20, and my behaviour wasn't any more "inappropiate" than the other times I was given 10 points for this perceived infraction.

and honestly if a simple forum warning/infraction is driving you nuts
It got me banned for 10 months simply for stating my opinions in a way that the moderator didn't like. And some internet crusaders decided to render my old YouTube channel permanently unusable as a result, because apparently having opinions is worthy of cancellation in this community. Of course it's driving me nuts, and you wouldn't understand how hard it is to "suck it up" if you haven't been in such a situation yourself.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is the same former mod was named most opinionated member circa 2017 (?). If mods and former mods can be so opinionated that they're awarded for it by the community, Why not members of equal measure? Or even a tad less? Are members and staff not suppose to interact and have differing views so long as they don't break AUP/Tos? Is this not a community of difference and people who come together for a general similar like and enjoyment? I would hope this inclusive community is just that and not some authoritarian regime.
That's an extremely revisionist take on how Interludes was viewed in the final few years he was active on the site. He didn't win that as an award. He won that because people were so sick of him and his grandstanding nonsense that they were trolling him. And when he won by an overwhelming margin because people were sick of him, he tried to pretend he tricked everyone for several pages of that thread by either lying through his teeth when his "acting" was indistinguishable from how he normally acted anyway or lying through his teeth about it being a joke in the first place and not just him actually being him. And people were so afraid of the "authoritarian regime" GTP has for staff that multiple people spent multiple pages laying into Interludes for it and his attempts to redirect it at other people, and not a single staff member stepped in and shut it down.

And since you posted in that thread yourself, you know what happened there wasn't as you are presenting it here.

Last edited:
And people were so afraid of the "authoritarian regime" GTP has for staff that multiple people spent multiple pages laying into Interludes for it and his attempts to redirect it at other people, and not a single staff member stepped in and shut it down.
Corvette has a point, even if they were right for the wrong reasons. Interludes actually sounds like one of the good ones if he allowed the criticism to happen. Other mods on this site will either shut down attempts to critique them before the discussion has a chance to breathe, or outright ban the dissenter for behaviour they subjectively dislike, without giving the dissenter a chance to defend themselves in the public domain.

Last edited:
He didn't win that as an award. He won that because people were so sick of him and his grandstanding nonsense that they were trolling him

Ha, imagine how the guy who won it for two (three?) years before would feel if he read that!

Just saying :lol:

EDIT: Dammit! From your link I can see how he did it. Dammit!

Other mods on this site will either shut down attempts to critique them before the discussion has a chance to breathe, or outright ban the dissenter for behaviour they subjectively dislike, without giving the dissenter a chance to defend themselves in the public domain.

I've spent a lot of time here over the years and I simply don't recognise that.

Last edited:
If people think moderators and admins are power mad on this forum, I dread to think what Ned Flanders approved fora they subscribed to in the past. Some others that I am on, and have pretty much now left, have moderators who constantly push their own agenda and close threads when people don't agree with them on the most banal, normal topics as well as obvious political points, even if the thread was started by other people. They also get very uppity and personally offended when other members don't find them funny.

Imagine if Best Rear Ends in Cars In General was closed because someone posted a Lotus Esprit and the mod disagreed. That's what a lot of other fora out there are like.

Moderators here are extremely patient and balanced. It's one of the reasons that this place has flourished and has retained such long-standing, dedicated membership. I would disagree that moderators ban people just for disagreeing with them.

Last edited:
I would disagree that moderators ban people just for disagreeing with them.
I'm not going to directly post the thread here in case it's some kind of AUP violation, but I want to let anyone who agrees with that statement know that my posts never got deleted, so you can look at my post history myself, reasonably figure out when I got banned, and then decide for yourself whether or not you still hold that opinion.

I'm not going to directly post the thread here in case it's some kind of AUP violation, but I want to let anyone who agrees with that statement know that my posts never got deleted, so you can look at my post history myself, reasonably figure out when I got banned, and then decide for yourself whether or not you still hold that opinion.

Well I have to imagine it's the part where you called GTP admins liars.

Now that's simply not true at all, is it?

Naughty.jpg

You can't see posts that have been deleted, no member can, but the staff can and are also still able to access them. As such I would suggest you don't break the AUP by posting knowingly misleading information again.

Correlation =/= Causation

I'm sure there are staff members who have banned people they have had disagreements with. Plenty, in fact. But what I said was that I didn't think that staff members have banned people just because they had disagreements with them. They're not personal actions. There's always something else to the case, a particular forum rule that has not been adhered to.

You can't see posts that have been deleted, no member can
If you're trying to get me banned again by mouthing off at you it's not going to work. All I'm going to say on this website at least is that you found the wrong post, look harder.

Well I have to imagine it's the part where you called GTP admins liars.
And since when has that alone been an AUP violation? I've just been falsely accused of lying once again by said admins. Besides, the only reason it came to that is that my initial words got twisted to mean something different to what I intended.

If you're trying to get me banned again by mouthing off at you it's not going to work. All I'm going to say on this website at least is that you found the wrong post, look harder.

And since when has that alone been an AUP violation? I've just been falsely accused of lying once again by said admins. Besides, the only reason it came to that is that my initial words got twisted to mean something different to what I intended.
I’m not an admin, and you claimed your posts never got deleted, you didn’t specify which posts.

Nor, most importantly, are you entitled to an explanation for moderation.

This thread will not provide that, and as such is getting locked, nor will any attempt to post requesting one in any other thread or new post. As such you have two options, accept what happened and move on as a constructive member of GT Planet, or fail to accept that and move on from GT Planet, what you will not do is repeatedly request something that you will not get, that will be considered spamming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back